• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
tumblr_mgc5zvlgFV1qfixx5o1_400.png

All he needs is the yellow glasses.

It's the pen tool in Photoshop. Same way I did my Aigis picture.

He's just a lot better at it than me. ;)

Dangit, since I've learned that tool the most use I've got out of it is silhouettes and overall outlines... so much to learn. And that thing I pointed out, where the lines cross, if that was the pen tool, why does it not just flow in one continuous line like the rest of the image? It looks more like when you hold shift with the brush tool, or leftover construction lines that haven't been erased.

I messed around in Photoshop for a bit anyway and this is the closest I could get for the main outline. New path > use pen tool to trace over the lines > make selection, 0 feather > fill the selection > blending options > outer glow, then mess with those settings.

Do you do something similar? How are you sure about it being pen tool anyway?

Dantis

I can tell it's the pen tool by the way the lines look (Plus I know Soejima uses Photoshop, so it just makes the most sense).

The straight lines you were talking about likely the line tool, and weren't cleaned up because it's outside the scope of the box art.

The way I do my lines (And the way that I believe Soejima does his) is using a combination of stroked paths, filled paths and free hand with the pen tool. Draw a path with the pen tool, right click on the path in the Paths window and hit Stroke Path, and it will follow that path with the selected tool, including simulating pressure for weighting.

It's neat.

Ahh I see, I will look into that further, thanks man.

The straight lines you were talking about likely the line tool, and weren't cleaned up because it's outside the scope of the box art.

I understand that, it's because of that I was using it as some sort of clue to how the lines are done. Though as you've pointed out it's just by using the tool in a way I didn't know how.

Sophia

You're either an artist of words or an artist of images. If you're not one, then you're meant to be the other, so roll with it.

That's not encouraging. Although I do have music skills.... including perfect pitch.

Also, totally read your post in Rin's voice.

cj_iwakura

That's not encouraging. Although I do have music skills.... including perfect pitch.

Also, totally read your post in Rin's voice.

That's the third route! I think I'm a halfway decent writer, so I totally accept that I'll need to hire an artist if I ever get into the gaming industry. Fortunately, they're everywhere.

Squire

Banned
I wish I had artistic skill.

Ditto.

You're either an artist of words or an artist of images. If you're not one, then you're meant to be the other, so roll with it.

That's beautiful.

That's the third route! I think I'm a halfway decent writer, so I totally accept that I'll need to hire an artist if I ever get into the gaming industry. Fortunately, they're everywhere.

That reminds me of what Kamitani says about Vanillaware. "Not enough programmers/designers. Too many artists."

Yeah but you also take like around eight times the amount of time it takes for me to do one thing

Huh? Surely it should speed things up, that's the whole reason I was trying to learn these tools in the first place! :p

And you don't simply wish to have artistic skill. You go and draw stuff. And learn stuff. And then practice over and over and over. Forever.

Someday I will be a good artist. Someday. Someday I might actually get a chance to do a Persona fanart properly :p.

Jintor

it depends what you want to do. Dantis-kun tends to tend to his linework like a crazy person, but I sketch and sketch and sketch and sketch and sketch until i'm happy with something. The downsize is unless I'm working at an untenable resolution resizing looks like crap. Sketching with vectors is not... really a workable situation

lol that Kanji is quality

it depends what you want to do. Dantis-kun tends to tend to his linework like a crazy person, but I sketch and sketch and sketch and sketch and sketch until i'm happy with something. The downsize is unless I'm working at an untenable resolution resizing looks like crap. Sketching with vectors is not... really a workable situation

Y'see, that's what I usually do. But I'm working on concepts, so I've been spending all my time lately learning new stuff in Photoshop to speed up my work. Super rough sketches is fine for the initial stuff, but if I want to present certain designs with clean lines and in colour it'll take too long. The Persona art gave me the idea to look into using gradients, and it's sorta lead on from there.

I... have some voice skills.

Yes.

I'm envious of your voice skills. I do community theatre and acting classes and crap, but the realization that my vocal range is nowhere near flexible enough to do any kind of voice acting deeply saddens me. I can do exactly two impressions: Shaggy from Scooby Doo and The Manadarin's goofy evil voice from Iron Man 3.

If you don't land a voice in P5 I'll be very disappoint in ATLUS' casting team.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm envious of your voice skills. I do community theatre and acting classes and crap, but the realization that my vocal range is nowhere near flexible enough to do any kind of voice acting deeply saddens me. I can do exactly two impressions: Shaggy from Scooby Doo and The Manadarin's goofy evil voice from Iron Man 3.

If you don't land a voice in P5 I'll be very disappoint in ATLUS' casting team.

Hah, thanks.

I did want to get into voice acting, but I lack the acting skills. I probably should have taken a class at some point.

Soma

OTP? OTP.

It makes the original theory I read about that
Yukiko was going to be an antagonist with her Persona being Izanami absolutely perfect

So much better than a gas station attendant.

Wow that would've been really interesting.

Instead she's one of the most boring main characters in the entire series :(

OTP? OTP.

It makes the original theory I read about that
Yukiko was going to be an antagonist with her Persona being Izanami absolutely perfect

So much better than a gas station attendant.

I honestly thought that Teddie was behind it all until the whole Shadow Rise thing happens and the game decides to do away with all those hints.

Stupid Shadow Rise. Ruin Laura Bailey, sex, AND my theories for me, why don't you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom