• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned

Pretty sure Tomonobu Itagaki would even confirm this.

Yeah, it has no story/plot relevance whatsoever.

See, this is the thing. I've talked to you before about what kinds of sexualization disturb you, and I get no sense of consistency from it. What makes Atelier games' super gross'?

And before you respond: Please don't cite the fetishization of pre-teen/teen girls. Tecmo said Kasumi/Ayane were 14-year-olds for years, yet they've had breasts bigger then the average adult woman from day one.

Dantis

It absolutely does not. Not for DOA5 or any game in the series prior. Catherine is a game about the stress of relationships and the allure of sex. It serves a theme and message.

The girls in DOA are sexualized because it sells games.

I meant that the idea of context works in the same way, not that the context is the same.

The characters are sexualised to sell the games and because the fanbase that they've built up appreciates it at the least and demands it at most.

On the other hand, the characters are all fighters with strong personalities who are, for the most part, entirely cognisant of the outfits that they're wearing. The most sexualised characters, such as Lisa and Christie, have femme fatale style personalities, so it seems perfectly fine to me that they'd dress like that. Not to mention that the most heavily sexualised outfits are what would be considered 'normal' in the anime that you're talking about.

The same doesn't apply to Ninja Gaiden, sure, but I've been openly critical of Ninja Gaiden's design. I even made a topic about it!

Comparatively, a fifteen year old anime character with knocked-knees who is completely oblivious to sex and seduction and blah blah blah who is wearing a tiny skirt and stockings is gross.

And before you respond: Please don't cite the fetishization of pre-teen/teen girls. Tecmo said Kasumi/Ayane were 14-year-olds for years, yet they've had breasts bigger then the average adult woman from day one.

16, actually.

Venfayth

a fifteen year old anime character with knocked-knees who is completely oblivious to sex and seduction and blah blah blah who is wearing a tiny skirt and stockings is gross.

But as long as they're just making her that way to sell games, that's ok, right?

Venfayth

But the age of consent in Japan is 13 according to wikipedia, and that's where the game was made.

If we're playing the arbitrary numbers game, why should anything above 13 be gross when you're considering that market?

England's is 16, is that why 15 is gross to you?

Squire

Banned
But am I wrong? If so, why?

No. A fifteen year old sexualised like that is always gross.

There are no fifteen year olds in DOA5. Or 4. Or 3. Or 2. Or 1.

Because DOA panders the same as any two bit prime time anime. You're just willing to make excuses for it whilst shunning the majority of a medium that does have merit.

Also, lets not split hairs here: underage is underage. 15/16; tomato/tomato.

Because DOA panders the same as any two bit prime time anime. You're just willing to make excuses for it whilst shunning the majority of a medium that does have merit.

Tomato > Tomato

Dantis

but there is a 16 year old

There sure is. DOA4 came out in 2005 (January '06 here). I would have been, what, 17?

I can honestly say that I had no problem with sexualised 16 years olds when I was 17.

I don't see the problem here. Seems pretty consistent to me.

Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere, man.

I don't play DOA4 nowadays. If it was released now, in the exact same context, there is a good chance I'd have a problem with it.

When it came out, I was a lot younger, and didn't.

You guys are making this out to be much more complex than it is.

It would probably go down as well as every thread I make!

I don't care much, I just love to debate/argue with you :D

Squire

Banned
It would probably go down as well as every thread I make!

Because you're wrong? You should if you're really so confident in your stance. DOA is no better then the most pandering anime. I'm curious to see how many others would fall over themselves to prove otherwise.

I mean, we haven't even touched on the volleyball games.

Edit: I'm not even mad or anything, it just disappoints me someone as smart as you is so commonly dismissive of anime (when much of it has merit) but absolutely jazzed about DOA when it has a legacy rooted in exploitation.

Dantis

Because you're wrong? You should if you're really so confident in your stance. DOA is no better then the most pandering anime. I'm curious to see how many others would fall over themselves to prove otherwise.

I mean, we haven't even touched on the volleyball games.

Edit: I'm not even mad or anything, it just disappoints me someone as smart as you is so commonly dismissive of anime (when much of it has merit) but absolutely jazzed about DOA when it has a legacy rooted in exploitation.

Well now I'm just too flattered to respond properly.

cjkeats

Have all the LWA fans heard the news of Triggers next project? It's called "Kill-la-Kill" and looks fucking bonkers.

Scans of it are out there.

Necrovex

Have all the LWA fans heard the news of Triggers next project? It's called "Kill-la-Kill" and looks fucking bonkers.

Scans of it are out there.

Don't forget those Gurren Lagann fan either! I saw Kill La Kill in Anime-Gaf, and it looks awesome! I will be watching that in the fall.

cjkeats

Don't forget those Gurren Lagann fan either! I saw Kill La Kill in Anime-Gaf, and it looks awesome! I will be watching that in the fall.
I did get a Gurren Lagann/FLCL/DieBuster vibe from the character designs. (I belive it's one of those guys isn't it?)

Did they post the images in there? I haven't seen anything but scans, and I know that's a no-no.

Levito

Banned

16 is legal age in Canada, so we're cool here. :p

I mean The creator of DOA/Ninja Gaiden himself has said the character are the way they are purely for sex appeal, I don't see how this can be debated.

Moonlight

Banned
Looked up KLK. I didn't like TTGL, but I'm down for this. #TeamTrigger
Nakajima, a playright and novelist in addition to being an anime writer, says, "in terms of Trigger, Kill La Kill is a work that'd express both the spirit of Inferno Cop and the imagination behind Little Witch Academia."

Speaking up for the new studio, Imaishi interjected, "The spirit of Inferno Cop? Umm … it'd be better not to create misunderstandings (lol). Well, let's go with the FULL MIGHT OF TRIGGER."
I love this.

Trigger

Looked up KLK. I didn't like TTGL, but I'm down for this. #TeamTrigger

tumblr_mb90ajJo821rw5rky.gif

What I've missed ITT while I was taking my finals/got home from the tests and forgot to refresh

>Art
>Fightstick
>more art
>Final Fantasy's version of Josie and the Pussycats
>talk of young girls being sexualized

It was all good and dandy until the last one

Marche90

The day Dantis sees it, is the day that the Apocalipse happens

either that or we all go to the next Persona Music Live, and I doubt that any of those happens in a reasonable time frame

buddha0991 said:

I think that I heard this for more time that it's clinically recommended lol

Necrovex

I did get a Gurren Lagann/FLCL/DieBuster vibe from the character designs. (I belive it's one of those guys isn't it?)

Did they post the images in there? I haven't seen anything but scans, and I know that's a no-no.

There have been images in Anime-Gaf. There is also a thread about Kill la Kill that contains images.

To answer your other question, the director and the "Series Composition/Script" made Gurren Lagann.

Still no interest.

Still a bad person then. It's not like we are aiming to convince you to watch the AKB0048 anime series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom