• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
That's what I do :D

I'm not sure there's any TRUE justification for buying that many games, but once games truly become your hobby, even spending that amount of money on it is not really that bizarre compared to other hobbies.

It also helps that it's diffused over such long periods of time. It's not like I walk into a store and shout "Give me 100 ds games! here is my roll of bills", it slowly adds up over years and years.

I buy Pokémon games Day One. Everything else can wait until I scrounge up enough cash/get my next paycheck/buy it on sale. Even anticipated games like BioShock Infinite have to wait if I'm short on dough or time.

I'll be buying Persona 5 on Day -1 of course, though.

Same, Pokemon is my day one buy too. Exception being P4 Arena because it's come out just as I've got into the series and I finished P3 a few days ago.

MikeDip

I'm still waiting for a nice sale on Pokemon white and White 2. I do want to get around to those soon.

Trigger

My last Poke-purchase was Sapphire. I did borrow and beat a copy of Platinum. I'm planning to play through Black and White 2 next week in preparation for X/Y. I've heard it's got a lot of content.

Venfayth

My last Poke-purchase was Sapphire. I did borrow and beat a copy of Platinum. I'm planning to play through Black and White 2 next week in preparation for X/Y. I've heard it's got a lot of content.

When is X/Y coming out?

I haven't completed a Pokemon game in ages, I think it was Platinum.

MikeDip

Should I play White before White 2, or are they not that type of games?

Squire

Banned
Move over PersonaGAF. Now that she's in HD, Rikku has the Waifu Wars on lock.

Final-Fantasy-X-X-2-HD-Remaster_2013_05-09-13_002.jpg

Final-Fantasy-X-X-2-HD-Remaster_2013_05-09-13_014.jpg

At least until P5 is announced.

Probably.

Squire

Banned
Haha, no I actually agree with you, and Rikku is awesome.

But she can't hold a candle to Rise :(

For some reason I want to see Rise battle Rikku now.

They'd totally be besties like oh my god!

Such an awful design.

Nomura sucks.

LOL, knew you'd say that. I think Nomura is solid. His work on X/X-2 is his best.

I'd rather see Rise drawn in Rikku's outfit.

Oh holy shit, yes! I'd be down for a swap.

Dantis

They'd totally be besties like oh my god!

LOL, knew you'd say that. I think Nomura is solid. His work on X/X-2 is his best.

His Advent Children stuff is good. His FFX stuff is good. His FFVIII stuff is passable.

Most of his other stuff is terrible. X-2's costume design took a real turn for the terrible.

As an aside, X-2 HD looks mighty pretty. Gotta be amongst the best HD remasters.

Squire

Banned
His Advent Children stuff is good. His FFX stuff is good. His FFVIII stuff is passable.

Most of his other stuff is terrible. X-2's costume design took a real turn for the terrible.

As an aside, X-2 HD looks mighty pretty. Gotta be amongst the best HD remasters.

I agree with most of that, actually. I dig X-2's design though. I like the flamboyance of it, but I could see how someone wouldn't.

And yeah, X-2 HD looks beautiful.

Venfayth

If you like good gameplay you'd enjoy ffx-2.

But you're afraid of anything remotely resembling animated characters that are attractive, except doa for some reason, so you wouldn't enjoy ffx-2.

Squire

Banned
Serious question:

Do you honestly think that if I play FFX-2, I will like it?

Because I don't, which is why I've never played it.

On a mildly related note, look what Email I just got:

LOVE Yoshida's stuff. Shame Bravely Default wastes it completely.

Tonally, no. Design-wise, yes. The battle mechanics are phenomenal.

Yoshida is really underrated and under-utilized. His Tactics Ogre stuff is excellent as well.

Sophia

FFX-2 has like... the best battle system ever in a Final Fantasy game. It's a shame it was just wasted on such a silly story and tone.

Dantis

Tonally, no. Design-wise, yes. The battle mechanics are phenomenal.

Yoshida is really underrated and under-utilized. His Tactics Ogre stuff is excellent as well.

I love this picture

I'll give X-2 a rent when the HD one is out.

If you like good gameplay you'd enjoy ffx-2.

But you're afraid of anything remotely resembling animated characters that are attractive, except doa for some reason, so you wouldn't enjoy ffx-2.

It is amazing how you still don't understand what irritates me about some character designs in games and anime.

I love this picture

I'll give X-2 a rent when the HD one is out.

It is amazing how you still don't understand what irritates me about some character designs in games and anime.

X2 has good gameplay, retarded story. It is supposed to be like that though. It is one of the only rpg's I have seen that deals with the aftermath of a world changing event, not with another world ending event, (for the most part) but instead, the world rebuilding and celebrating its survival, etc. it is rather interesting in that regard.

Squire

Banned
I love this picture

A personal favorite:

Also, I find it interesting that you seemingly ignore the fact that DOA leans into one of anime's biggest pitfalls (actually a few) and uses it as a selling point. And always has. TN is really no better then most anime studios.

I'm talking mechanically, yes.

FFX-2 is just so much wasted potential. Not a bad game by any means tho.

I don't wanna say it would be better if X-2 wasn't made (because really, it wouldn't be. There'd just be one less game in existence), but FFX has such a complete story it sort of killed X-2's plot potential before it was even a thing.

Edit: And buddha is totally right.

Dantis

Failing to understand is not the same as understanding and finding it ridiculous.

I just cope better acting this way.

Not to mention, Dantis, it's so hard not to poke fun at you when you're stubborn as you are about certain things.

If the things that you feel I'm ignorant to are super gross games like Atelier, then sure.

Don't expect it to change any time soon, either. ;)

Also, I find it interesting that you seemingly ignore the fact that DOA leans into one of anime's biggest pitfalls (actually a few) and uses it as a selling point. And always has. TN is really no better then most anime studios.

You link is broken I think, pal. At least, no picture is showing for me.

And I have no problem with sexualisation in general. It's all about context. Catherine (From Catherine) had an incredibly sexualised design. Great design. Worked well with the game.

For the most part, the same logic applies to DOA5.

Trigger

I love this picture

*sigh*

The world needs a new chapter in this series. Please SE.

X2 has good gameplay, retarded story. It is supposed to be like that though. It is one of the only rpg's I have seen that deals with the aftermath of a world changing event, not with another world ending event, (for the most part) but instead, is the world rebuilding and celebrating its survival, etc. it is rather interesting in that regard.

Preach.

Squire

Banned
And I have no problem with sexualisation in general. It's all about context. Catherine (From Catherine) had an incredibly sexualised design. Great design. Worked well with the game.

It absolutely does not. Not for DOA5 or any game in the series prior. Catherine is a game about the stress of relationships and the allure of sex. It serves a theme and message.

The girls in DOA are sexualized because it sells games.

Levito

Banned
It absolutely does not. Not for DOA5 or any game in the series prior. Catherine is a game about the stress of relationships and the allure of sex. It serves a theme and message.

The girls in DOA are sexualized because it sells games.

Pretty sure Tomonobu Itagaki would even confirm this.

Venfayth

Have you seen Little Witch Academia, yet?

This is one of the things I think you're being stubborn about.

If the things that you feel I'm ignorant to are super gross games like Atelier, then sure.

Don't expect it to change any time soon, either. ;)

See, this is the thing. I've talked to you before about what kinds of sexualization disturb you, and I get no sense of consistency from it. What makes Atelier games' super gross'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom