• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Who's doing the character design for SMTIV? The character designs are very very very very "meh" IMO.

Masayuki Doi. He's been a low-level artist since P2, and started as an art director in the Trauma games.

I think he's technically very proficient, at least.

Really? Didn't he do the trauma center stuff and the P2 PSP ports? I actually kinda liked the art in those so damn if true. Haven't really been paying attention to SMTIV because of the 2d battles/Kaneko's absence. I guess that's what I get for expecting amazing character designs from someone not named Soejima/Kaneko. Oh well.

edit:
Masayuki Doi. He's been a low-level artist since P2, and started as an art director in the Trauma games.

I think he's technically very proficient, at least.
Ah, I see.

this is the saddest post :/

Really? Didn't he do the trauma center stuff and the P2 PSP ports? I actually kinda liked the art in those so damn if true. Haven't really been paying attention to SMTIV because of the 2d battles/Kaneko's absence. I guess that's what I get for expecting amazing character designs from someone not names Soejima/Kaneko. Oh well.

edit:
Ah, I see.

the main characters look dumb but a lot of the secondary are more confidence inspiring.

Levito

Banned
Also, man, Levito you are the only person I know who actively did larks Marvel films.

Did larks?

I like the first 2 Spider-man movies and X-men First Class, those were great. Thought all of Marvel's other effort's ranged from mediocre to terrible. Granted, I've still not seen The Avengers.

Iron Man 3 was mindless commercial diarrhea with no tension in it's action scenes, probably because all the characters were written so poorly. It was like a Star Wars prequel in that they had these incredible action sequences and set pieces but none of it mattered because it was so utterly predictable.

Did larks?

I like the first 2 Spider-man movies and X-men First Class, those were great. Thought all of Marvel's other effort's ranged from mediocre to terrible. Granted, I've still not seen The Avengers.

Iron Man 3 was mindless commercial diarrhea with no tension in it's action scenes, probably because all the characters were written so poorly. It was like a Star Wars prequel in that they had these incredible action sequences and set pieces but none of it mattered because it was so utterly predictable.

would an all black fantastic four cast change your mind re: marvel movies

Tsugihagi_SMTIV.jpg

This guy looks cool

Hikaru_SMTIV.png

This character will either have horrible things happen to her, will do horrible things to someone, or turn out to be a horrible thing.

That girl's Lilith or Delilah or some shit. Callin' it.

Erm, weren't you reading? We decided that anime merely refers to the country of origin of a piece of 2D animation. Characters and settings are outside of that scope, and therefore you are wrong.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Just like the good stuff. Don't let others taint the word. I'm cereal. Otherwise people keep conflating "anime' with "moe"...

Lunar15

You could say the same for practically any entertainment medium.

Oh, absolutely. I'm just saying that I think anime got really big in america at a certain time for my generation, and it ended up being really fresh to many people. But then once we got used to it, we realized that, like most entertainment, a lot of it is trash, some of it is great.

A lot of really bad anime got by in those days just because anime was relatively new for us. It dealt with themes and topics I wasn't used to. Looking back I can go, well sheesh, most of that was just nonsense.

Squire

Banned
Did larks?

Goo'damned autocorrect. I meant *dislikes, of course. The first two Spider-man are some if the best super hero films though, totally. I have yet to see IM3.

would an all black fantastic four cast change your mind re: marvel movies

I thought they were just talking about going that route with the Storm siblings.

Jintor

Hold up. If Dantis accepts that stuff he cares about is separate from the actual animation process, then why would he still refuse to watch stuff on the basis of how anime it is?

I'm partial to Gaby as well as Tayama and Kaga. Then you have Fujiwara who looks like he popped right out of Catherine.
They're oookkkaayyy I guess but nowhere near the level of awesomeness that I expect from a mainline SMT game. I do realize that Kaneko is almost untouchable when it comes to character design. Maybe I should lower my expectations a bit. The game definitely doesn't look god enough to warrant it being a mainline SMT game IMO.

Moonlight

Banned
Hold up. If Dantis accepts that stuff he cares about is separate from the actual animation process, then why would he still refuse to watch stuff on the basis of how anime it is?
This is the part I was confused by.

It felt very "heads I win, tails you lose".

TheBear

Hmm, are we limiting ourselves to urban JRPGS with this question? There are plenty of roleplaying games with great dialogue and characters IMO.

Not really, I'm playing Catherine at the moment and I'm drawing a lot of parallels. I think P4G develops characters in away I can't think of any other game doing.

I thought they were just talking about going that route with the Storm siblings.

it's possible they are, but imagine idris elba as dr doom.

moviechat:
who's excited for the trainwreck that will be The Great Gatsby? i know i am. the director referred to it as an "epic love story" and i'm excited to see how he arrived at that interpretation.

moviechat:
who's excited for the trainwreck that will be The Great Gatsby? i know i am. the director referred to it as an "epic love story" and i'm excited to see how he arrived at that interpretation.

I'm fascinated by Luhrman's work and trying to figure out what goes through that brain of his, so I'll be seeing it for sure. I'm still banking on either Star Trek or The World's End being my Movie of the Summer, though.

Squire

Banned

moviechat:

I'm excited in that I'm morbidly curious to see just how he missed the point of Gatsby as spectacularly as he seems to have. The book is an indictment of decadence, but he revels in it.

I do like how they handled the soundtrack though. Plus DiCaprio is always great and Carey Mulligan is infinitely lovely <3

if nothing else i'm sure it'll be very shiny and pleasing to look at.

I'm excited in that I'm morbidly curious to see just how he missed the point of Gatsby as spectacularly as he seems to have. The book is an indictment of decadence, but he revels in it.

I do like how they handled the soundtrack though. Plus DiCaprio is always great and Carey Mulligan is infinitely lovely <3

young and beautiful is really a fantastic song
(but then again i think it mostly works in the context of her other songs)

Squire

Banned
if nothing else i'm sure it'll be very shiny and pleasing to look at.

young and beautiful is really a fantastic song
(but then again i think it mostly works in the context of her other songs)

I love that song, yeah. I think it fits with the actual point of the story really well, but the fact it's Lana singing it gives it this layer of (be it intentional or not) meta commentary that's really cool.

I think it would've been mind-blowing if Any Winehouse was around to sing it, but I'll take the commentary Lana gives it.

I also really dig Jay-Z's track, but that's just because it's fucking sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom