• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I unapologetically love Moulin Rouge, that's about all I can say for Baz.

I'm more of a Romeo + Juliet guy myself; I'm not a huge fan of Moulin Rouge and its characters. R+J had a crazy amount of style and was pretty self-aware, which worked in its favour in revitalizing a tried-and-true classic. It's still cheesy and over-the-top, but enjoyably so.

cj_iwakura

I'm more of a Romeo + Juliet guy myself; I'm not a huge fan of Moulin Rouge and its characters. R+J had a crazy amount of style and was pretty self-aware, which worked in its favour in revitalizing a tried-and-true classic. It's still cheesy and over-the-top, but enjoyably so.

I like R+J too, but it lacks Le Tango De Roxanne.

I love that song, yeah. I think it fits with the actual point of the story really well, but the fact it's Lana singing it gives it this layer of (be it intentional or not) meta commentary that's really cool.

I think it would've been mind-blowing if Any Winehouse was around to sing it, but I'll take the commentary Lana gives it.

I also really dig Jay-Z's track, but that's just because it's fucking sick.

Yeah, generally I think most of the songs I've heard are really fitting, so it has that going for it.

I guess they did the next best thing and had a cover of an Amy Winehouse song.

Soriku

They're oookkkaayyy I guess but nowhere near the level of awesomeness that I expect from a mainline SMT game. I do realize that Kaneko is almost untouchable when it comes to character design. Maybe I should lower my expectations a bit. The game definitely doesn't look god enough to warrant it being a mainline SMT game IMO.

Based on...? Didn't you say you haven't paid attention to it?

Oh and Persona does have anime designs. Come on, the games have anime cutscenes with these designs.

Sophia

Based on...? Didn't you say you haven't paid attention to it?

Oh and Persona does have anime designs. Come on, the games have anime cutscenes with these designs.

It's like Nocturne is the only SMT game or something, instead of it being the odd one out.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Tflu7WG.jpg

tumblr_mm0ekmB9Yl1sohs0co1_500.jpg

It's a dream of mine to see these 2 magicians meet up one day.

Hopefully in Arena 2/P5 if it decides to go that route. I kinda hope that Junpei returns as a laid-back, chill kind of guy who's mature but goofy at the same time. I just hope Arena 2 has better characterization so that he doesn't get devolved as much as Akihiko D:

PK Gaming

I don't think it's fair to dog on P4A Akihiko... P3 Akihiko wasn't much of anything in P3. In fact, I actually prefer P4A Akihiko to P3 Akihiko(LE GASP!)

Akihiko still retains his "core" character in Arena, but they gave him some much needed expansions his story mode. I love how he actually pities the thugs he fights in South America, and comments on the world's social structure (you can't do shit without Power). It ties into him wanting to be a police officer, and why he ultimately decided to quit the shadow operatives. As a police officer, he could protect "everyone", even the people that are invisible to society.

He's also matured from his days where he was all about "fighting and training until I achieve my goal or die" mentality he had before. He still fights and trains, but he's not willing to throw his life away, and totally embraces his fears rather than run away from them.

TL;DR: P4A Akihiko is fucking awesome in his story mode, and meh everywhere else. It doesn't paint the full picture.

The man can avoid gunfire. GUNFIRE!

Missing the original:

Hmm, another magician. Does she have a romance plot that ends in tragedy?

I never said P4A Akihiko wasn't awesome (which he is), just that they seemed to make him stupider and more socially awkward for some reason. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that this guy who was the top of his class and always had a cloud of girls swooning over him suddenly traded in a good deal of common sense and charm for brute strength. It seems odd, is all.

cj_iwakura

I never said P4A Akihiko wasn't awesome (which he is), just that they seemed to make him stupider and more socially awkward for some reason. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that this guy who was the top of his class and always had a cloud of girls swooning over him suddenly traded in a good deal of common sense and charm for brute strength. It seems odd, is all.

Akihiko was always socially awkward. He avoided girls, and as shown during the Babe Hunt, he can't even talk to them.

PK Gaming

No worries, I was trying to target you or anything, I just wanted to get this off my chest haha.

I disagree with your claim that he got stupider though. Akihiko is pretty damn bright in P4A; I noticed that he was VERY observant throughout his story mode. He completely breaks down most his encounters, the most famous one being his skirmish vs the gun wielding thugs. I loved how he explained that he doesn't dodge the bullets, but rather, he moves out of the way before they can get a lock on him. He's quick on the uptake in the TV world, immediately fights Mitsuru without hesitation after learning about the "rules" + is always the one to give her that extra push she needs to make decisions, AND doesn't waver when facing his (fake) shadow self. He suffers greatly in the other characters story mode, but his own story mode makes for that imo.

As for his social awkwardness... I dunno, I remember him being fairly awkward in P3. (This mostly stems from my experience with his social link / the video recording of him)

Actually, no! She marries Toro and becomes a homemaker in Persona 2.

Ah I see. I think I should play Persona 1 for completions sake...

Dantis

Hold up. If Dantis accepts that stuff he cares about is separate from the actual animation process, then why would he still refuse to watch stuff on the basis of how anime it is?

I said I'm not watching LWA because I'm not interested. Not because of how anime it is.

And I've not seen a single Baz Luhrmann film, but Gatsby has one heck of a flashy trailer. I also know nothing about The Great Gatsby.

I probably won't watch it. ;)

Squire

Banned
I said I'm not watching LWA because I'm not interested. Not because of how anime it is.

And I've not seen a single Baz Luhrmann film, but Gatsby has one heck of a flashy trailer. I also know nothing about The Great Gatsby.

That's not too surprising. It's one of the great American novels. They teach it in schools over here. It's worth a read. Don't waste your time with Luhrman. He's missed the point altogether.

Dantis

That's not too surprising. It's one of the great American novels. They teach it in schools over here. It's worth a read. Don't waste your time with Luhrman. He's missed the point altogether.

I should read it actually. Apparently it's only just over 200 pages. I could bash that out in a day or so!

Might look into getting it on my Kindle.

Soriku

Do you just not want to watch that show or anime in general? Because I'm an anime fan and I'm not interested in it either...

Dantis

Yeah, it's a breeze. You'll probably like it.

It's like 50p. Definitely going to download it later.

Do you just not want to watch that show or anime in general? Because I'm an anime fan and I'm not interested in it either...

I'm just generally uninterested in anime. I've seen a few Ghibli films and enjoyed them for the most part, but unless I found something really interesting, I probably wouldn't watch it.

Soriku

I'm just generally uninterested in anime. I've seen a few Ghibli films and enjoyed them for the most part, but unless I found something really interesting, I probably wouldn't watch it.

Watch Death Note, Mirai Nikki, Kaiji, or Steins;Gate if you want something interesting that's not some moe or girl show, or a fighting shonen. There's also Attack on Titan that you can watch with us in its thread in the OT section. You're missing out if you don't give some a chance IMO. It'd be like if someone skipped out on Persona because it has anime designs and cutscenes or is a JRPG.

I think it's pretty much impossible for someone to not like something. There's too much variety.

Dantis

Watch Death Note, Mirai Nikki, Kaiji, or Steins;Gate if you want something interesting that's not some moe or girl show, or a fighting shonen. There's also Attack on Titan that you can watch with us in its thread in the OT section. You're missing out if you don't give some a chance IMO. It'd be like if someone skipped out on Persona because it has anime designs and cutscenes or is a JRPG.

I think it's pretty much impossible for someone to not like something. There's too much variety.

I was told that I'd hate Death Note by both of my younger brothers, haha. One of them is also watching Attack on Titan on CrunchyRoll, and keeps telling me how silly it is. If he thinks it's silly, then hoooooly gwack I would do.

I have no problem with the medium, just what it usually contains.

I do want to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time though.

Soriku

Hell, it's officially on Youtube with subs even.

I have to be careful with this, last time I looked it up to link it I ended up watching the whole thing again :/

I'll check it out later and tell you what I think.

I was told that I'd hate Death Note by both of my younger brothers, haha. One of them is also watching Attack on Titan on CrunchyRoll, and keeps telling me how silly it is. If he thinks it's silly, then hoooooly gwack I would do.

I have no problem with the medium, just what it usually contains.

I do want to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time though.

Give them a chance. Not every person is the same. And look up the other three as well (also Kaiji has a weirdish art style but it's awesome. Also listen to the soundtrack if you like rock music and the like like in Persona: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBzDGG7WeU).

As a medium anime can contain a lot of shit and I can understand if you don't like certain things (like moe/loli shows with pandering...I avoid shows like that too) but there's some real gold.

Sophia

Huh. That's weird. Why'd they randomly change the art on the PS3 disc?

US PS3 version looks like the 360 disc there, artwise.

Lunar15

Yeah, that art is great. The full image was drawn for the arcade version of the game, and I always thought it would have made a miles better cover image.

I completely agree with you on this one. That piece is one of my favorites. Totally fits the flashy style of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom