• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Golden is even MORE fanfictiony. But if Arena is the crazy action/sentai kind of fanfic, Golden's the eroge.

I agree. And where Arena tries to build to something for future installments, Golden adds irrelevant nonsense.

On the other hand, I feel like the presentation of Arena's story is absolutely terrible, and I really dislike how they've dumbed down the characters.

Omikaru

I feel the hostility has ratcheted up tenfold this week. I'm not exactly blameless in this, mind. I was having a bad day yesterday and raged on Arena. :p

But seriously guys, let's try not to get nastier in here. It makes this thread less fun to read, and spills over into the chat too. <_<

Moonlight

Banned
I agree. And where Arena tries to build to something for future installments, Golden adds irrelevant nonsense.
I'll take almost all of that irrelevant nonsense over what Arena tried to build. I quite enjoyed most of Golden's additions, particularly everything after Christmas.

Trigger

I feel the hostility has ratcheted up tenfold this week. I'm not exactly blameless in this, mind. I was having a bad day yesterday and raged on Arena. :p

But seriously guys, let's try not to get nastier in here. It makes this thread less fun to read, and spills over into the chat too. <_<

NanakoNoFighting.jpg

cjkeats

Today has been weird in these parts.

tumblr_mmibjs6JQC1qk56m0o1_500.jpg

Kazzy

Golden is even MORE fanfictiony. But if Arena is the crazy action/sentai kind of fanfic, Golden's the eroge.

How so? P4G largely works within the confines of an established fiction, whereas Arena introduces a new narrative, which ostensibly exists as a means, by which to contrive to get the casts of the previous two games together.

Although, seeing as your post was constructed almost entirely in code, you could be referring to something else entirely!

I don't understand how people can hate Golden. It's a mechanically superior port of one of the greatest games of all time. Say what you will about the additional scenes and S. Links, but they in no way retroactively cheapen the rest of the game. Heck, you can skip through them if you wish with little to no affect on your understanding of the story. Golden also adds several new Personae and gameplay content, which far outweigh any gripes people may have about the new plot segments.

So yeah. I've been holding that in for far too long. P4G >>>> P4.

EDIT: I still love all of you. You're far nicer people than most of those whom I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Squire

Banned
I don't understand how people can hate Golden. It's a mechanically superior port of one of the greatest games of all time. Say what you will about the additional scenes and S. Links, but they in no way retroactively cheapen the rest of the game. Heck, you can skip through them if you wish with little to no affect on your understanding of the story. Golden also adds several new Personae and gameplay content, which far outweigh any gripes people may have about the new plot segments.

So yeah. I've been holding that in for far too long. P4G >>>> P4.

EDIT: I still love all of you. You're far nicer people than most of those whom I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

This. Just people doing what they do which is ignore Golden's design enhancements to hone in on an hour's worth of additions that can be ignored.

It just amazes me people let the most minor things ruin their fun.

Esura

Banned
Oh, I don't hate Golden. I'm sure it's a great port of a fantastic game. I just have no interest in playing it.

You like Persona 4 right? Golden improves on essentially everything.

Unlike P3P it sacrifices nothing of the original while adding more to it.

Omikaru

Well, there are some legitimate complaints about P4G that some people may have:

- It's easier.
- Some of the fanservice is kind of icky, especially that one scene.
- Marie's social link is pretty bad, and kind of wedged into the main narrative pretty poorly.

But there's also some really great stuff. Most of the extra events are great fun, the prologue is pretty damn great, and the extra social link that isn't Marie's was also pretty neat. Personally I think it's the more authentic P4 experience than Arena.

Jintor

No-one's hating on P1 or P2 you butt (well maybe P1 a little)

Winter alone I think is worth it. The 'epilogue' feeling of Dec-Feb is... glorious.

And dat ski trip

Risette

A Good Citizen
To offset all the people hating on P1&P2 of course.
Don't think people are "hating" on them -- they're just not very good. It's not just people on the internet, either -- Atlus likely doesn't want to bring EP over because bringing IS and P1 over already damaged the brand enough.

cj_iwakura

Don't think people are "hating" on them -- they're just not very good. It's not just people on the internet, either -- Atlus likely doesn't want to bring EP over because bringing IS and P1 over already damaged the brand enough.

P2 is still my favorite in the series.

Squire

Banned
Well, there are some legitimate complaints about P4G that some people may have:

- It's easier.
- Some of the fanservice is kind of icky, especially that one scene.
- Marie's social link is pretty bad, and kind of wedged into the main narrative pretty poorly.

But there's also some really great stuff. Most of the extra events are great fun, the prologue is pretty damn great, and the extra social link that isn't Marie's was also pretty neat. Personally I think it's the more authentic P4 experience than Arena.

Do you mean the bath house scene? That is so harmless. That's the problem with people complaining about the game being "too anime". They don't have enough perspective to really know what "too anime" would be because they don't like anime.

CJ is obviously knowledgable, but this is what Dantis says about that scene yet he simply won't engage with the medium. He won't take twenty minutes out of his day to indulge the Japanese equivalent of a Pixar short.

Not to pick on you buddy, I'm just tired of people making that out to be a capital crime.

It's a game about high schoolers. There's going to be some sexually suggestive content (there even is in the original) or it's not being genuine.

To offset all the people hating on P1&P2 of course.

No one does this.

Omikaru

Do you mean the bath house scene? That is so harmless. That's the problem with people complaining about the game being "too anime". They don't have enough perspective to really know what "too anime" would be because they don't like anime.

CJ is obviously knowledgable, but this is what Dantis says about that scene yet he simply won't engage with the medium. He won't take twenty minutes out of his day to indulge the Japanese equivalent of a Pixar short.

Not to pick on you buddy, I'm just tired of people making that out to be a capital crime.

It's a game about high schoolers. There's going to be some sexually suggestive content (there even is in the original) or it's not being genuine.

I'm generally fine about the sexually suggestive content, because it is about horny high schoolers and has dating elements to it, but I felt that bathhouse scene was dumb as well as pointless. It was completely out of step with the of the rest of the game in pretty much every respect that matters -- i.e. the tone and the humour -- but it's really not a big deal because it's one FMV in an 80+ hour RPG that isn't any worse for having it in there. I totally get that people don't like that scene, mind, mostly because I didn't. But honestly, I'm happy to let it slide rather than groan about 60 seconds of FMV, but I personally didn't like it.

I also don't think the complaints of it being "too anime" hold much stock, because that is a generalisation of what anime is, but there are other issues with it that I mentioned above. But whatever.

Did IRC just die?
No, it's overflowing with people. Busiest it's ever been, I think.

Squire

Banned
I'm generally fine about the sexually suggestive content, because it is about horny high schoolers and has dating elements to it, but I felt that bathhouse scene was dumb as well as pointless. It was completely out of step with the of the rest of the game in pretty much every respect that matters -- i.e. the tone and the humour -- but it's really not a big deal because it's one FMV in an 80+ hour RPG that isn't any worse for having it in there. I totally get that people don't like that scene, mind, mostly because I didn't. But honestly, I'm happy to let it slide rather than groan about 60 seconds of FMV, but I personally didn't like it.

I also don't think the complaints of it being "too anime" hold much stock, because that is a generalisation of what anime is, but there are other issues with it that I mentioned above. But whatever.

We basically agree, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom