• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

OK I watched LWA Jintor.

It was solid for what it was. A simple anime short with a simple tale. Now I wouldn't say it was amazing, or "best anime of 2013" like some others have been saying but it was pretty well animated and even though it had an all-female cast I still liked the characters (though they're a bit archetypal), and there was no pandering. Also the animation was pretty good.

I did get the "it's like a Disney movie" feel btw. Some of the animation helped give that vibe.

So I liked it, but I doubt I'd watch a full length series; just not interesting enough. But for a short and simple 26 minute mini-movie it was definitely interesting and well-paced.

Soriku

I like that you enjoyed it despite the all-female cast.

LOL, like what does that even mean?

I usually can't connect to female characters as much...I know I'm not the only one like this. Like, I like female characters in other anime, but I still try to avoid "all girl" shows. This was a good one, however.

FluxWaveZ

I like that you enjoyed it despite the all-female cast.

LOL, like what does that even mean?

Anime with an all-female cast tend to be the exact kind of anime that I avoid at all costs. So yes, I could also say I'm glad Little Witch Academia did not go for the style I abhor despite having a cast that is usually made for it.

Jintor

I think a lot of the reason I liked LWA is because it's so short they don't bother wasting any goddamn time at all or anything.

Haha, I don't like all female casts but I don't hate female characters like DTL does and I do have my favorites. I just like guy characters more, that's it.

I don't really have preferences one way or the other, but I loathe those fucking bland as shit generic male protagonists that seem to infest 60% of all anime

Squire

Banned
Personally, I try to connect with/find myself in characters based on who they are as people. Their gender is irrelevant.

There are totally works geared towards each gender though.

I don't really have preferences one way or the other, but I loathe those fucking bland as shit generic male protagonists that seem to infest 60% of all anime

Agreed. I felt like Kyon's inner-monologues made him a clever subversion of that trope.

He was a spring-board for the female cast as guys like him so typically are, but he recognized it and was somewhat annoyed by it at the very least.

Jintor

Kyon is great for two main reasons: his internal monologue and general attitude, and Sugita Tomokazu.

It also helps that occasionally he'll step up and actually demonstrate that he does have convictions and ideals, even if he hides behind an apathetic facade.

...but mainly it's Sugita.

Fun fact: Daisuke Ono and Sugita Tomokazu are the Daisuke and Kou pair. Hmmm... I should check the anime and see if that's true there, too...

/edit Oh shit, Daisuke is Sugita and Kou is Daisuke. lololol Sugita has like four lines though :<

Squire

Banned
I watched the dub.

I agree though, totally. I was thinking the same thing. When pushed he will stand up for himself which is refreshing and he's never so apathetic to the point that he's unlikable.

cjkeats

Hey it's Kyosuke. Chitanda does an OreImo voice too and they had a conversation this season and it was hard not to think of the Hyouka characters.

Hell she even throws in an "I'm curious"

jaxword

Hey, so I'm starting Persona 4 Golden for the first time ever. Anything I should be aware of? Like little mistakes or things I can do to make it a little smoother? No spoilers, please, obviously.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hey, so I'm starting Persona 4 Golden for the first time ever. Anything I should be aware of? Like little mistakes or things I can do to make it a little smoother? No spoilers, please, obviously.
Fuse Personae

Don't grind unless you're a scrub (the first one will help you with this goal)

Dantis

depends if it looks good or not

it's passable here

if you stop for a second and look at the image and extrapolate out her pose to you realise her lower torso is about twice the length it should be

Man, you wanna talk about janky anatomy, let's talk Blazblue.

Seriously, what the frack is going on with that art. It's in a commercial game but it's preeeeetty badly drawn.

Squire

Banned
Man, you wanna talk about janky anatomy, let's talk Blazblue.

Seriously, what the frack is going on with that art. It's in a commercial game but it's preeeeetty badly drawn.

You make art sound so objective. Elongated art is an element of many styles.

Jintor

i have a pretty wide 'if it looks fucking awesome' clause, but I generally go in two directions; realistic anatomy or fucking crazy anatomy. The middle ground sits disquietingly with me

Dantis

You make art sound so objective. Elongated art is an element of many styles.
Makoto_Nanaya_%28Continuum_Shift%2C_Character_Select_Artwork%29.png

Blazblue's portraits are just drawn in a really weird style. They always look wrong to me.

EDIT: And I think that picture I just linked is by Daisuke, right? The main artist is even worse!

Squire

Banned
Blazblue's portraits are just drawn in a really weird style. They always look wrong to me.

EDIT: And I think that picture I just linked is by Daisuke, right? The main artist is even worse!

Seriously?

1366278089607.jpg

I expect an artist to understand the concept of subjectivity and that art is steeped in it better then anyone.

Jintor

I think you're pushing too far - a discussion of whether or not anatomy 'looks right' or 'wrong' to a person isn't throwing the very concept of subjectivity out the window. Hell, it's the very essence of it.

I mean, I agree with Dantis. That art looks fucking weird, and it's not just because of the classic escher boob/butt pose.

Squire

Banned
I think you're pushing too far - a discussion of whether or not anatomy 'looks right' or 'wrong' to a person isn't throwing the very concept of subjectivity out the window. Hell, it's the very essence of it.

I mean, I agree with Dantis. That art looks fucking weird, and it's not just because of the classic escher boob/butt pose.

I'm just saying: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It felt you two were stating your positions as they they're based on facts and rules broken by BB's artist or something, but that's probably on me. My bad.

Dantis

I'm just saying: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It felt you two were stating your positions as they they're based on facts and rules broken by BB's artist or something, but that's probably on me. My bad.

It was just a point of discussion, that's all. ;)

I was looking at the art the other day, and thinking "This looks off to me".

Obviously it's not actually terrible because so many people appreciate it, right?

Squire

Banned
Right :)

Speaking of things that aren't terrible: Doritos Crash Course 2. Game has no right whatsoever to be as fun and solid as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom