• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

I was partly teasing, but part of me dies a little inside whenever someone posts that they can't get into P2.

But, to be fair, the older entries are terribly antiquated. I can't begrudge anyone not being able to penetrate through that, because there is a certain level of "quality" one has to tolerate.

Meia

I don't understand how people can hate Golden. It's a mechanically superior port of one of the greatest games of all time.

Not really. Let's not look at the story content. Any fan of the series, something this game's new content is explicitly aimed for, can blow the game so far wide open that it becomes one of the easiest games you can ever play. Overleveling was easy to do in the original, now with golden hands it's worse. The new dungeons aren't to scale based on where they were, and the last dungeon wasn't scaled up any from the original, so it's easier now than before. Rise gets new abilities that break the game's difficulty further, and the characters get some crazy new abilities. Naoto's changes had to be made for what the character was, but the new abilities some get access to(Yukiko's Severe Fire All attack) are really OP, made worse with things like Mind Charge thanks to Rise's changes. Shuffle Time went from a somewhat skillful(not really) thing to just pick what you want, with, yes, some of the new cards further breaking things wide open.

Then you look at the story content. One and a half new social links, a horribly misused new character, some hit or miss new events(based on which character you link yourself with), and a very lackluster new dungeon.

Skill cards were at least handled well, and more content, even eh content, is appreciated. Just them killing the difficulty and some new content rubbed me the wrong way. Still probably my #1 game.

EDIT: Just finished the mountain of P2:IS. I am having a massive amount of fun with it. Amazing what removing the grid system of one and adding fusion abilities does to the gameplay. I even like the method of making new personas in this one. The music is great, and the characters as good as the ones from the newer personas.

EDIT: Just finished the mountain of P2:IS. I am having a massive amount of fun with it. Amazing what removing the grid system of one and adding fusion abilities does to the gameplay. I even like the method of making new personas in this one. The music is great, and the characters as good as the ones from the newer personas.

The mountain? You mean...MT. KAtaojaitamitoaiwtsomething?

Soma

Um, the area after the caves with the masks. Did the break through thing. No idea how far I am, but man the story really ratcheted up. Only lv30, so guessing half-way?

I'm pretty much where you are. I left off after the Mech bossfight because I kept getting distracted with... stuff.

But yeah the story really escalated from there.

If there's 4, yes.

You got em all, you are in the clear there, thank goodness.

tumblr_ma020aPmZI1ro8ysbo1_500.gif

Not really. Let's not look at the story content. Any fan of the series, something this game's new content is explicitly aimed for, can blow the game so far wide open that it becomes one of the easiest games you can ever play. Overleveling was easy to do in the original, now with golden hands it's worse. The new dungeons aren't to scale based on where they were, and the last dungeon wasn't scaled up any from the original, so it's easier now than before. Rise gets new abilities that break the game's difficulty further, and the characters get some crazy new abilities. Naoto's changes had to be made for what the character was, but the new abilities some get access to(Yukiko's Severe Fire All attack) are really OP, made worse with things like Mind Charge thanks to Rise's changes. Shuffle Time went from a somewhat skillful(not really) thing to just pick what you want, with, yes, some of the new cards further breaking things wide open.

Then you look at the story content. One and a half new social links, a horribly misused new character, some hit or miss new events(based on which character you link yourself with), and a very lackluster new dungeon.

Skill cards were at least handled well, and more content, even eh content, is appreciated. Just them killing the difficulty and some new content rubbed me the wrong way. Still probably my #1 game.

Any gripes about difficulty are kind of made moot by the ability to fully customize the difficulty level to suit your playstyle. Want to earn less EXP? More power to you. Want to take more and deal less damage? More power to you. You can't say the game is mechanically inferior becuase you can make it easier if you please; otherwise every game ever is mechanically bad because there are exploits and such that can be abused to make the game a veritible cakewalk.

Also Marie's S. Link isn't that bad. A bit awkward yes, but four of my friends who had previously played P4 didn't mind it and two that hadn't said it was one of their favourite S. Links. The S. Link that isn't Marie's also gives a great look into the mind of one of the less developed charcters and in the end provides you with an awesome new Persona and potentially
a new ending.
The only point that I fully agree with here is the new dungeon being blah, but hey; at least its boss was unique and had some incredible music.

Any gripes about difficulty are kind of made moot by thr ability to fully customize the difficulty level to suit your playstyle. Want to earn less EXP? More power to you. Want to take more and deal less damage? More power to you. You can't say the game is mechanically inferior becuase you can make it easier if you please; otherwise every game ever is mechanically bad because there are exploits and such that can be abused to make the game a veritible cakewalk.

Also Marie's S. Link isn't that bad. A bit awkward yes, but four of my friends who had previously played P4 didn't mind it and two that hadn't said it was one of their favourite S. Links. The S. Link that isn't Marie's also gives a great look into the mind of one of the less developed charcters and in the end provides you with an awesome new Persona and potentially
a new ending.
The only point that I fully agree with here is the new dungeon being blah, but hey; at least its boss was unique and had some incredible music.

even on the hardest difficulty, it is still an easier version than Persona 4 on expert though

cj_iwakura

But, to be fair, the older entries are terribly antiquated. I can't begrudge anyone not being able to penetrate through that, because there is a certain level of "quality" one has to tolerate.

Soul Hackers is even older! I'm still not sure whether I'm shocked or ecstatic that it did so well.
(Meaning the OT had a lot of people playing it, as opposed to IS with... oh, five of us.)

Kazzy

Soul Hackers is even older! I'm still not sure whether I'm shocked or ecstatic that it did so well.

I think it having never been released in the West, probably has something to do with it. And in that case, I think curiosity trumps all.

Also, I think P1 and P2 did as well as could be expected, given how they actually play.

Squire

Banned
Well, I think PSP games have more chance of being noticed thanks to all those Vita owners starved for new games.

I would think so, but it seems it's not working out that way. 3DS is probably a better home for exposure though, just because it's selling better.

Well, I think PSP games have more chance of being noticed thanks to all those Vita owners starved for new games.
Lol you got me.

Im so confused, haven't touched the game in a couple of weeks. Last thing I remember doing was fighting the principal in a clock tower and now everyone is poisoned in some weird red maze.

Kazzy

For as much as I'm a fan of earlier Persona games, I don't think they really appeal to many outside this small sphere. For fans of the later entries, I'd wager that they exist largely as curiosities. Though I think it's telling, that even those fans will generally add a caveat to the first two games, because they are simply difficult to play.

I consider P2 to be my favorite games in the series (and I didn't play it until after I played P3, P3P, P4, and P4G. I even played arena before P2) but I would have never finished the game if I had played it "normally". I set the game on the easiest difficulty and blasted through it with a guide from game FAQs. The story and characters are worth tolerating the archaic gameplay IMO. Atlus should do a actual remake of the games based off of modern persona mechanics.

Meia

I dunno. I'm following a non-spoiler walkthrough(I did hear beforehand about the masks and to make sure I got all of them, especially from this thread before) on normal, so I didn't want to go in un-prepared, but I didn't want to be spoiled more than I was(know most of the last beats of the story, but not all). Also not using the guide for quick run through of the areas, as I MISS the era of RPGs where you actually run around a dungeon and explore. Took forever to find the masks. Game isn't that hard really, and I've played way more RPGs with way worse gameplay. Hell, I remember beating Beyond the Beyond. :p

If anything, can't wait to get to EP as I know absolutely nothing about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom