• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Persona 1 and 2 feel pretty divorced from a lot of anime tropes, but I think that's because they're more SMT influenced.

Yamai outright said they got Doi to do SMTIV's art to make it more accessible.

I think they're all comparable in their use of tropes. They stand as products of their time, but they're still ostensibly drawing from a similar source. Not to say that's inherently a bad thing, because I've always felt that's one of the series strengths -how they evoke (and subvert) a lot of those familiar archetypes.

cj_iwakura

All MegaTen is "anime" influenced, whatever that means.

Maybe, but to different extents. Persona 4's comedic sequences could be seen as influenced from harem anime, but Shin Megami Tensei 1 is more along the lines of being inspired by Vampire Hunter D or Tokyo Megalopolis.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Maybe, but to different extents. Persona 4's comedic sequences could be seen as influenced from harem anime, but Shin Megami Tensei 1 is more along the lines of being inspired by Vampire Hunter D or Tokyo Megalopolis.
So, anime.

Also, lol what @ harem influences.

Sophia

We had a discussion about a Persona MMO awhile back. I recall some of the ideas being pretty good, and it made me wish it could happen.

Persona Online. Obtain powerful beasts for you to control. Explore Not-Tartarus with your friends! Form Not-Guild Social Links and take on the woooooorld~! *

(* and by world we mean a fictionalized town in Japan.)

I just hope more effort goes into it than Imagine.

Setting the standards pretty high are we? >_>;

tumblr_mau0q111GR1r2x5qto1_500.png

Kazzy

I'm probably not as well-versed in what constitutes "harem", particularly as you seem to be using a Fate/stay night avatar, but I don't really see how the comedic aspects in P4 are implicit to that specific genre.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here, but that sounds as though you're being overly reductive in this case. Romance is a certainly an element of these games, though it's hardly the focus, no matter how much importance sections of the fan-base seem to place on it. In fact, it's an entirely optional element. If anything, it was more emphasized in the earlier titles, where it takes place within the main narrative.

cj_iwakura

I'm probably not as well-versed in what constitutes "harem", particularly as you seem to be using a Fate/stay night avatar, but I don't really see how the comedic aspects in P4 are implicit to that specific genre.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here, but that sounds as though you're being overly reductive in this case. Romance is a certainly an element of these games, though it's hardly the focus, no matter how much importance sections of the fan-base seem to place on it. In fact, it's an entirely optional element. If anything, you'd say it was more emphasized in the earlier titles, where it takes place within the main narrative.

Specifically scenes like the King's Game and the general hot spring drama sequences. There's nothing like either in P1 or P2.

I'm not against the tropes or use of them, which would be pretty hypocritical, but credit given where due.

Kazzy

Specifically scenes like the King's Game and the general hot spring drama sequences. There's nothing like either in P1 or P2.

I'm not against the tropes or use of them, which would be pretty hypocritical, but credit given where due.

It's hardly "harem" though. Not everything constitutes that, particularly as it doesn't nonsensically characterize everyone. That would also suggest that there is an implicit misogyny at work, which I don't find to be the case.

Sophia

It's remarkable how often the two coincide.

Seeing as Harem is a subgenre, it's no surprise. The vast majority of what people call Harem is actually Slice of Life tho.

Love Hina is harem.
Ouran High School Host Club is Reverse Harem AND Slice of Life
Persona 4 is Slice of Life (barring one psuedo-harem scene added in Golden)
Fate/Stay Night has Slice of Life elements.

uhhhhhhhhh

Never? They are separate genres

He's right, although not for the reasons he believes. Harem is a subgenre that can be applied to many other genres. It's just frequently paired up with Slice of Life elements.

cj_iwakura

It's hardly "harem" though. Not everything constitutes that, particularly as it doesn't nonsensically characterize everyone. That would also suggest that there is an implicit misogyny at work, which I don't find to be the case.

I guess I just associate the term with slapstick scenes like that.

Maybe one way of looking at it is when you have P4 handling character relationships through slapstick and general silliness, in P2 EP they discuss things maturely. (So yeah, adults for P5 please.)

Risette

A Good Citizen
I guess I just associate the term with slapstick scenes like that.

Maybe one way of looking at it is when you have P4 handling character relationships through slapstick and general silliness, in P2 EP they discuss things maturely. (So yeah, adults for P5 please.)
That's not what maturity means. Persona 4 is actually very mature because it realizes the inherent immaturity of teenagers.

Sophia

Yeah, for what it's worth, the characters of Persona 3/4 pretty much act like how teenagers in real life behave. Minus the unrealistic dictation, end of the world plot, and all that.

It's highly unusual for video games, which are usually deattached from reality.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, for what it's worth, the characters of Persona 3/4 pretty much act like how teenagers in real life behave. Minus the unrealistic dictation, end of the world plot, and all that.

I agree, but teenager protagonists are well past played out.

Kazzy

in P2 EP they discuss things maturely. (So yeah, adults for P5 please.)

I don't agree with that. Though the way they speak may be handled differently, there are still mature themes being dealt with, albeit, filtered through a teenage perspective. I think it'd be naive to discount how "mature" something is, based purely on something as binary as the age of its protagonists.

Sophia

I agree, but teenager protagonists are well past played out.

Poorly written protagonists are played out. I'm all for teeenage protagonists if they're well written.

I don't agree with that. Though the way they speak may be handled differently, there are still mature themes being dealt with, albeit, filtered through a teenage perspective. I think it'd be naive to discount how "mature" something is, based purely on something as binary as the age of its protagonists.

What CJ is actually asking for, if unintentionally, is idealism vs cynicism. Persona 2 is a highly cynical game, compared to Persona 4 (idealistic to the extreme) Persona 1 (more idealistic than cynical) and Persona 3 (somewhere in the middle)

Astra

I just hope more effort goes into it than Imagine.

That shouldn't be too hard.

Persona Online. Obtain powerful beasts for you to control. Explore Not-Tartarus with your friends! Form Not-Guild Social Links and take on the woooooorld~! *

(* and by world we mean a fictionalized town in Japan.)

Depending on how large the player base is, it might have to be all of Japan!
Instead of WvW, it'll be school vs school. Clearly GAF would have the best. School pride!

Definitely moreso in 4 than in 3, which is why I largely like the cast of 4 more.

Poorly written protagonists are played out. I'm all for teeenage protagonists if they're well written.

What CJ is actually asking for, if unintentionally, is idealism vs cynicism. Persona 2 is a highly cynical game, compared to Persona 4 (idealistic to the extreme) Persona 1 (more idealistic than cynical) and Persona 3 (somewhere in the middle)

Bingo.

Omikaru

Yup. Good observation. :)

Moonlight

Banned
in P2 EP they discuss things maturely. (So yeah, adults for P5 please.)
Cynicism isn't maturity. You're conflating the two in order to elevate one work over the other on thin criteria. Otherwise fedora-hatted atheists with chips on their shoulders could be seen as the most mature people on the planet.

cj_iwakura

IMO, a lot of work did go into Imagine. For what it is, I think they did a pretty good job. The atmosphere and music is pure core SMT.

The game is ultra grindy, and the battle system has flaws, but they definitely tried to make it as SMT-esque as could be.

Kazzy

It's an odd notion, that maturer themes equate to something being "better". It doesn't always work, and Its quite easy for something to feel overwrought, which is something I think Persona 3 struggles with.

Sophia

It's an odd notion, that maturer themes equate to something being "better". It doesn't always work, and Its quite easy for something to feel overwrought, which is something I think Persona 3 struggles with.

While I agree with your general statement, I'm going to have to disagree with Persona 3, as I feel it handles it's themes of maturity very well. Persona 3 is just a victim of an ambitious concept, as evident by how a good deal of it's story is outside of the game itself.

Squire

Banned
I missed a pretty big discussion, but we've had it before and pizzaroll said everything I would've anyway.

I do take issue with your concern about what P4G adds to the formula and "people expecting it in P5", Dabtis. I'm assuming you mean that (again) 5% of content that bugs you.

Look at the countless impressions in the P4G OT from people who never played it before; I think people are taking the right things away from it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Look at the countless impressions in the P4G OT from people who never played it before; I think people are taking the right things away from it.
Honestly, most of the people who are hung up about the more risque additional content are ones who played it before and have some obsession with suppressing the "anime" in the franchise. Which is, yeah.

And those who are playing it for the first time likely wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for those complaining about it. It's such a harmless non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom