• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

zZgITJM.png

Squire

Banned
Persona is pretty anime, I don't see what's wrong here.

It is on the surface. The reason I don't watch much anime is the same reason I'm picky with TV or comics or anything else: 9/10 productions lack depth in their story or characters (or both) which is what I look for.

The characters in P4 particularly start as these really obvious archetypes you've seen a thousand times, but the way they're written and developed totally subverts that first impression you have of them.

But I like anime when I can find the right thing for my taste. You have some people who want to separate the two entirely, but they're connected.

The characters in P4 particularly start as these really obvious archetypes you've seen a thousand times, but the way they're written and developed totally subverts that first impression you have of them.

But I like anime when I can find the right thing for my taste. You have some people who want to separate the two entirely, but they're connected.

Except Yukiko :/

Venfayth

It's still up, one of their server's just split:

-Global- Global notice from ButtaKnife:
-Global- Our Kraken server in Chicago lost connectivity for several minutes a little bit ago, which caused that server to split from the network. We're checking to see what happened in the Windy City. Sorry for the disruption!

Blame Chicago.

I disagree. I can't think of a single anime character who deals with the same core issue as Yukiko, but I've said I'm no expert, so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm not arguing here, rather explaining my comment. My issue with Yukiko's characterization is that
her whole dungeon, and character arc is about her wanting to become independent, wanting to be "more flashy" in a sense, even the whole "Snow Black" thing in arena. She wants to be her own woman. She's tired of being told what she'll so, and certainly not for the rest of her life. She's envious of her brash and outspoken best friend. So you have the cutscene or whatever after you rescue her, a couple of interactions about it, maybe more depending on how you handled her S.Link and she decides that she's going to continue to do what she's told, and as a bonus "I'll learn to cook for you too senpai!" (not that I don't think it's an important skill. Everyone should be able to prepare a decent meal..but I digress.) It would have made sense if it didn't build her up to be making her own way, but in the end, she's just stagnant with a little side of new found sass

But anyway, there are lots of characters with her basic issues. Seriously, if you like Yukiko, you might want to check out a few Visual Novels. Lots of beautiful young introverts waiting for senpai to help them get up the courage to start the school palm reading club and stuff.

Dantis

Is it going to be a thing that every time I visit here we're discussing animu now? :/

I for one welcome our new anime overlords.

Shambles, mate.

Just got back from seeing Iron Man 3!

Overall it was a pretty good movie. The opening half was standard stuff, with things I liked (likeable leads) and things I didn't like (lame script, stupid plot points). The final act of the movie is the best climax i've seen in recent memory. Even if you didn't like 75% of the movie, that final act absolutely makes up for it.

I enjoyed it a lot too. Very easy to watch. I'm not sure I'd watch any of them again though. I kind of watch them for the pretty colours, rather than being grabbed by the plot or the characters.

Squire

Banned
But anyway, there are lots of characters with her basic issues. Seriously, if you like Yukiko, you might want to check out a few Visual Novels. Lots of beautiful young introverts waiting for senpai to help them get up the courage to start the school palm reading club and stuff.

I bet Dantis had a heart attack reading this, haha.

Soriku

VuVyd5Y.gif

Jintor

I'm not arguing here, rather explaining my comment. My issue with Yukiko's characterization is that
her whole dungeon, and character arc is about her wanting to become independent, wanting to be "more flashy" in a sense, even the whole "Snow Black" thing in arena. She wants to be her own woman. She's tired of being told what she'll so, and certainly not for the rest of her life. She's envious of her brash and outspoken best friend. So you have the cutscene or whatever after you rescue her, a couple of interactions about it, maybe more depending on how you handled her S.Link and she decides that she's going to continue to do what she's told, and as a bonus "I'll learn to cook for you too senpai!" (not that I don't think it's an important skill. Everyone should be able to prepare a decent meal..but I digress.) It would have made sense if it didn't build her up to be making her own way, but in the end, she's just stagnant with a little side of new found sass

What

The point isn't necessarily that she wants to escape Inaba and her Inn and the legacy. The point is that she feels she doesn't have a choice beforehand. Though the 'outcome' is the same, her s.link journey is largely about her realising that she isn't forced to take a path and that she does, indeed, have a choice as to her path in life. She just so happens to make the conscious decision to stay in Inaba and accept proprietorship of the Inn. It's the difference between being forced to an outcome and taking all the evidence and weighing everything up and then choosing your path with your own two hands.

I mean, I don't even like Yukiko that much and I got that.

Dantis

I bet Dantis had a heart attack reading this, haha.

Not really. It's an over-simplification. Same as when people say there's no difference between the sexualised scenes in P4G and the Rise scene in P4 or the Yukari scene in P3.

You can do this with any story, right? To give a few other examples using things I love: Boardwalk Empire is about a gangster in denial, The Fountain is about three men trying to defy death, Cloud Atlas is about six people fighting more powerful people than themselves and A Scanner Darkly is about governmental control and drug addiction.

Whilst all of those things are technically true, they're massively simplifying the actual material.

Meia

What

The point isn't necessarily that she wants to escape Inaba and her Inn and the legacy. The point is that she feels she doesn't have a choice beforehand. Though the 'outcome' is the same, her s.link journey is largely about her realising that she isn't forced to take a path and that she does, indeed, have a choice as to her path in life. She just so happens to make the conscious decision to stay in Inaba and accept proprietorship of the Inn. It's the difference between being forced to an outcome and taking all the evidence and weighing everything up and then choosing your path with your own two hands.

I mean, I don't even like Yukiko that much and I got that.

Pretty much.

I don't like her that much, and yet she's the one character I can identify with the most I guess.
Her journey at first is trying to just become independent because she thinks she's forced to continue her parents' legacy, so she despises it, moreso when the others around her able to choose their fates. Then just by simply finally talking to her folks about it(something she avoided), she realizes it IS up to her what she does. Then it becomes "Cool, I'll go do what I want now." Her Slink sessions, all of them, boil down to her realizing that she loves everyone around her, and wants to support them, just like people of that arcana kind of always do(not unlike Fuuka at all ultimately). Her ultimate choice, to stay with those she truly loves, defines her, and when she finally becomes true to herself, that's when she maxes.

Omikaru

I guess you weren't in the P4G review thread, haha. It's cropped up its ugly head a few times elsewhere also.

People trying to justify the fan-service direction that some of P4G took.

Fanservice is only as good or bad as the tone it takes. I think tossing it about like a dirty word is inappropriate, and will get a negative reaction. I felt most of it in P4G was pretty appropriate, and in line with the rest of the game. Really, I think the issue pretty much devolves down to the bathhouse scene in terms of crass fanservice, and the band scene in terms of just not really making much sense.

Overall, I think they're too insignificant to negatively impact the game.

Fanservice is only as good or bad as the tone it takes. I think tossing it about like a dirty word is inappropriate, and will get a negative reaction. I felt most of it in P4G was pretty appropriate, and in line with the rest of the game. Really, I think the issue pretty much devolves down to the bathhouse scene in terms of crass fanservice, and the band scene in terms of just not really making much sense.

You're good people.

Jintor

Absolutely true.

For instance, all of the winter epilogue and the ski trip is fanservice, but it's rad as hell. It provides more opportunities for the cast to play off one another without reducing them to bodies to leer at.

Risette

A Good Citizen
None of the additional content is an issue one way or the other.

P4G is the definitive version of P4 in every way possible.

Meia

Except from a gameplay standpoint, which was kind of bad. :p

Give me skill cards, character balances, remove golden hands, tone Rise the hell down, make shuffle time fun again, increase the level of the last two dungeons in the game...

Dantis

Whilst I disagree, I have no problem with this opinion. My problem is when people say that the tone of all of the content was in line with P4 vanilla, which it wasn't.

In the end, it all depends on the direction P5 takes. If P4G is no indication of what's to come (And logically, it shouldn't be), then really, it's no problem at all.

Meia

I can see being worried about P5 being what freaks people out.

But wasn't it true that a lot of the new content from 4 Golden wasn't even designed by the same people from original 4, and chances are great that that won't be the case with 5?

The only thing it did was take what was already broken and make it more enjoyable to break. Not an issue.

Some of us like a challenge though. :(

Risette

A Good Citizen
Whilst I disagree, I have no problem with this opinion. My problem is when people say that the tone of all of the content was in line with P4 vanilla, which it wasn't.

In the end, it all depends on the direction P5 takes. If P4G is no indication of what's to come (And logically, it shouldn't be), then really, it's no problem at all.
P4G is a rerelease for a game with an established fanbase. I don't know why you'd be worried about P5 on that level. It's a new slate.

Some of us like a challenge though. :(
You're not going to find it in games like this, lol. Pretty much all JRPGs can be crushed open with the slightest bit of thinking.

Omikaru

The only thing it did was take what was already broken and make it more enjoyable to break. Not an issue.

Hmm, I disagree here. Some people like the challenge, and I think P4G added a lot of things that made the game easier, some of which can't be ignored, like Rise's added abilities (unless you neglect her social link, and, well, that's going to be a kick in the dick for completionists, or people who just like her character/SL).

I think they nerfed the game somewhat, and I'm not sure that the hardest difficulty in the game is as difficult as vanilla P4's hardest difficulty. For some people that's an issue.

I do in general think it's the better version of P4, however. I certainly won't be going back to the PS2 version any time soon.

Dantis

I can see being worried about P5 being what freaks people out.

But wasn't it true that a lot of the new content from 4 Golden wasn't even designed by the same people from original 4, and chances are great that that won't be the case with 5?

Yep.

P4G is a rerelease for a game with an established fanbase. I don't know why you'd be worried about P5 on that level. It's a new slate.

Because I'm a worrier. This is what I do!

Also because I feel like P4G successfully attracted a large amount of new players who will be expecting content similar to what we see in P4G.

Omikaru

I'm still more worried about what P5's platform is, rather than what the game will be like. I have faith it will be good, but I don't have faith that people on the business side won't push for it to be a 3DS game.

There are so many reasons I can think of why I wouldn't want it on that platform, the primary one is that it's 100% going to be region locked.

Dantis

I'm still more worried about what P5's platform is, rather than what the game will be like. I have faith it will be good, but I don't have faith that people on the business side won't push for it to be a 3DS game.

There are so many reasons I can think of why I wouldn't want it on that platform, the primary one is that it's 100% going to be region locked.

There are too many reasons for it not to be handheld though. Hashino has never worked on a handheld game (And all of his titles have been Atlus' biggest releases as far back as Nocturne), the new engine (Which genuinely, is not needed for a 3DS)... Not to mention that I think people expect these games to be full console releases, as well as the much bigger worldwide market potential... I'm confident it will be an HD game. Probably PS360.

Although it would be hilarious if Atlus threw a curveball and made it an original Wii title.

I still say it's PS3/PS4 only. The people who argue that it'll be on Microsoft systems using Catherine and Arena as evidence forget that the former was an experimental niche title that needed all the exposure it could get, while the latter is a fighting game which pretty much mandates multiplat if it wants a competitive/EVO scene.

In my mind, Persona is a franchise bound to Sony consoles. P4A was a gaiden game (I hope), and doesn't really set a precedent.

Omikaru

I don't really have any guesses. I still worry it'll be on 3DS, even if most people say it's likely to be PS3. Ideally, it'd be on every platform that's capable of playing it -- so I'm hoping PS3, 360, Wii U, and Vita, not to mention PC but hahaha Atlus -- but I know that Index are probably on a budget so I can see it being either PS3/360 or 3DS.

I just hope it's on PS3 so I can (probably) import.

Dantis

Dantis-kun is perpetual worrier. That's what you get for living in the UK!

Yup.

Seriously.

I see PS3/360/Vita happening.

Vita is very, very , very unlikely on launch. Maybe a port later down the line.

I still say it's PS3/PS4 only. The people who argue that it'll be on Microsoft systems using Catherine and Arena as evidence forget that the former was an experimental niche title that needed all the exposure it could get, while the latter is a fighting game which pretty much mandates multiplat if it wants a competitive/EVO scene.

In my mind, Persona is a franchise bound to Sony consoles. P4A was a gaiden game (I hope), and doesn't really set a precedent.

Why don't you want it on Xbox?

The reason they made Arena was because they wanted to broaden their audience. I would be very surprised if an Xbox version didn't happen.

Why don't you want it on Xbox?

The reason they made Arena was because they wanted to broaden their audience. I would be very surprised if an Xbox version didn't happen.

It's not that I don't want it as much as I don't think it's likely. I couldn't care less about what platform it releases on as long as it's not Microsoft-exclusive ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom