• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

Was immediately obvious because of the voice acting.

That, coupled with how androgynous she is made it quite obvious.

Of course that doesn't change the fact it really sucks to be spoiled, even on minor things.
It's why I tend to skip watching trailers, and for TV shows I always skip the recap at the beginning of the episode.

PK Gaming

Let's be honest, that's a great reason to carry on.

Yosuke is THE BEST.

Seconding this

Yosuke is the Persona character I relate to the most. (especially during my high school days. I was basically "that guy") It's a shame people are so dismissive of him because of "lololo he's homophobic" he's a really good character, flaws and all.

but i never got to meet an awesome investigation team :(

Meia

Eh, Yosuke's an ass who speaks before he thinks, but he's a good character. Always struck me as the type that didn't mind making himself look bad as long as others around him had fun at his expense.

...or maybe I'm over thinking it and he's just an ass.

I was some unholy combination of Junpei and Mitsuru. I was a goofball who acted like a scumbag sometimes due to an inferiority complex, but also studied too hard and was the one people came to when the wanted help/to cheat.

I wasn't part of a Special Extra-Curricular Execution Squad, but I was captain of the debate and trivia teams!

Jintor

He's an ass, but the whole point is that you don't stay the same way forever

probably should have gotten called out more in the homophobia thing more though

Sophia

Like I've said before, I was most like Yukiko (and to a lesser degree Fuuka) in school. Still very similar to Yukiko in personality, laughing and all.

I'd probably be Junpei-esque just due to general slacking/being a wise guy, though that's calmed down a lot since high school. Not quite sure who I'd classify myself as nowadays.

Squire

Banned
Seconding this

Yosuke is the Persona character I relate to the most. (especially during my high school days. I was basically "that guy") It's a shame people are so dismissive of him because of "lololo he's homophobic" he's a really good character, flaws and all.

Nice to see such a valid criticism trivialized. Again.

I'm not sure he's the best character, but I did come around to him and I also felt I related to him the most.

PK Gaming

Nice to see such a valid criticism trivialized. Again.

I'm not sure he's the best character, but I did come around to him and I also felt I related to him the most.

Oh I get that it's valid, trust me.

In fact, I even call him out on it at times. I was just reffering those times wherePersona is brought on any forum, and you get a ton of people claiming that Yosuke is a bad character, and dismiss him entirely because of his homophobia. There was even a user who admonished users for liking Yosuke. "you like that offensive character?'

EDIT: I should elaborate that even though I was a presumptuous, tactless and chatty idiot in high school, i was never at any point, homophobic.

Dantis

He's an ass, but the whole point is that you don't stay the same way forever

probably should have gotten called out more in the homophobia thing more though

Conversely, I think it would have been too preachy if everyone had scolded him for it.

I have no idea how it was at your schools, but there's no way in hell that would have happened when I was 16/17 at my school.

Kazzy

Aside from being as tactless as a honey badger, I do actually like Yosuke. He made for a better comic relief character than anyone else in the series, IMO.

Well, that's kind of his point. Yosuke is a fairly accurate portrayal of the typical teenager, flattering or otherwise. He is uncomfortable around things he doesn't understand, and reacts accordingly. It just so happens that this is usually in the most ham-fisted way imaginable!

I can understand that some will forever find his character contemptible because of these aspects (particularly in regards to how he behaves towards Kanji), but I think that the game does a good job of portraying all of this without clumsily admonishing him. Instead, it's the characters around him that reform him, and there is a genuine sense that his continued interactions within the group begin to curb those more negative traits. His ignorance is ultimately born out of his own immaturity, and it's something that the game highlights as a hurdle towards people accepting him - both in his own S-link, as well as Yu's.

A lot of the game concerns itself with the theme of identity, and that is precisely what Yosuke is searching for. I think most could empathize with a similar lack of clarity at that age.

Dantis

Well, that's kind of his point. Yosuke is a fairly accurate portrayal of the typical teenager, flattering or otherwise. He is uncomfortable around things he doesn't understand, and reacts accordingly. It just so happens that this is usually in the most ham-fisted way imaginable!

I can understand that some will forever find his character contemptible because of these aspects (particularly in regards to how he behaves towards Kanji), but I think that the game does a good job of portraying all of this without clumsily admonishing him. Instead, it's the characters around him that reform him, and there is a genuine sense that his continued interactions within the group begin to curb those more negative traits. His ignorance is ultimately born out of his own immaturity, and it's something that the game highlights as a hurdle towards people accepting him - both in his own S-link, as well as Yu's.

A lot of the game concerns itself with the theme of identity, and that is precisely what Yosuke is searching for. I think most could empathize with a similar lack of clarity at that age.

This has got to be the greatest post I have seen you make. Very thoughtful and accurate.

Persona? Too preachy? No way!

This is one more reason for me to fight you.

Soma

I will always hate Yosuke. From his obnoxious character design to his personality, he's somewhere around Ken-tier for me.

PK Gaming

Really enjoyed this post. Thanks for putting into words how I feel about that character. I'm dreadful at getting my point across to others.

Oh and feel free to stick around PersonaGAF :D

EDIT: GGs PersonaGAF, that Persona 4 Arena play session was fun.

Soma

At least Yosuke
did not get an awesome character killed
Yosuke probably would given the opportunity. I wouldn't trust my life with him that's for sure!
Oh no you didn't just go there and compare Yosouke (who's misery is funny) to Ken...

8MZr1tn.jpg

cjkeats

You think so? I think if it's story-heavy the less you know the better.

That goes for any medium.
whoops, I worded that wrong, I posted as I was going out the door. My bad. I meant that the way you said it.
BRB committing Sudoku.

You wound me :(

cjkeats to deliver the finishing blow.

*STAB*
I respect that he is what he is. I don't have to like him.
I'm only in it for the waifus anyways.

Young Magus

HOLY SHIT, SOPHIA CHANGED HER AVATAR!:eek:

Except Ken, who is just terrible.

I thought The Fall wasn't supposed to happen until next year...

It's not permanent. I just wanted to match cj's avatar because Fate/stay night avatars are rare here at NeoGAF.
I was going to say something but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

Seeing Sophia w/o her avatar is weird as fuck yo.

Hey. Guys. You are all neato.

You too buddha, you too :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom