• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

I like harems. With a good clueless male protagonist. Always fun to watch a cute girl try to make them notice her and fail despite wearing a sign "I WANT TO BONE YOU".

But, yes P5. robots.
I'm only half kidding

Kazzy

While I agree with your general statement, I'm going to have to disagree with Persona 3, as I feel it handles it's themes of maturity very well. Persona 3 is just a victim of an ambitious concept, as evident by how a good deal of it's story is outside of the game itself.

One of the aspects that I appreciate about Persona 4, is that it does occasionally flirt with more macabre elements, but it does so whilst remaining tonally consistent. I just think that overall, it feels a more assured work.

Squire

Banned
Honestly, most of the people who are hung up about the more risque additional content are ones who played it before and have some obsession with suppressing the "anime" in the franchise. Which is, yeah.

And those who are playing it for the first time likely wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for those complaining about it. It's such a harmless non-issue.

Yeah, It's barely noticeable. I've never seen it praised, so I can't understand any obsessive-compulsive worry that suddenly it'll be all P5 is about. No one is sending that message.

Sophia

One of the aspects that I appreciate about Persona 4, is that it does occasionally flirt with more macabre elements, but it does so whilst remaining tonally consistent. I just think that overall, it feels a more assured work.

Understandable that it does. The experience they gained also passed over to Persona 3 Portable. (See: Near universal agreement that the female protagonist has better social links.)

Dantis

It is so bizarre seeing you ask for that.

I'm returning it tomorrow, most likely, so this is the last chance to give me a beating.

Well he only has it for a 1 or 2 more days tops since he rented it. Better to get your moneys worth (and P4A's online is really fun)

Pity I didn't get it for 360 :(

Well, it's a Lovefilm rental, so I can keep it for as long as I want. It's just not my type of game. Also, we're playing PS3, bro. If you have it you are free to join.

I missed a pretty big discussion, but we've had it before and pizzaroll said everything I would've anyway.

I do take issue with your concern about what P4G adds to the formula and "people expecting it in P5", Dabtis. I'm assuming you mean that (again) 5% of content that bugs you.

Look at the countless impressions in the P4G OT from people who never played it before; I think people are taking the right things away from it.

It's flattering that out of the countless posts to respond to, I'm the only one that gets name dropped. :3

In all seriousness though, if I say "I don't like this kind of content" and somebody says "Why don't you like this?" and then I give a response, it's not really something to take issue with.

I agree. Although I feel that Golden's additional content threw the tone out of whack. All of it, not just the silly bath house scenes.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah, It's barely noticeable. I've never seen it praised, so I can't understand any obsessive-compulsive worry that suddenly it'll be all P5 is about. No one is sending that message.
It's not even a direction to go in, really. It's like 10 seconds of skin. How is that a direction they could go in?

I mean, the rest is just P4. I don't get it.

Squire

Banned
Dantis said:
In all seriousness though, if I say "I don't like this kind of content" and somebody says "Why don't you like this?" and then I give a response, it's not really something to take issue with.

It's not that you don't like it. I'm (mostly) fine that, regardless of how silly I think it is. I think it's strange that you would worry at all that the content that's (from what I've seen) never cited as a high point of the game would influence it's successor. People are playing this for the first time and talking about how much love the characters, not the bath scenes. I just can't figure how your mind is calculating things to think that Atlus will suddenly go left as even the new fans go right.

It's not even a direction to go in, really. It's like 10 seconds of skin. How is that a direction they could go in?

I mean, the rest is just P4. I don't get it.

This too. So it also doesn't make sense to me to say the new stuff threw the tone out of whack. I never played vanilla P4 and I never felt Golden was stepping outside itself or losing consistency. So "out of whack", I mean, I'm sorry the characters aren't completely insufferably miserable for 80 hours? I don't know what else to say.

cjkeats

When I talk about how much I love the new stuff, it's not entirely because I love that kind of stuff, it's more that I've played if before so it stands out to me more then the stuff I've already seen.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is what I think P5 will be relatively close to 4. That's been their cash cow. P1/2 aren't coming back.

I can't see the games becoming any less thoughtful though.
Me either. I'm just making sure people realize Atlus doesn't exist anymore, outside of being a brand!

Dantis

It's not that you don't like it. I'm (mostly) fine that, regardless of how silly I think it is. I think it's strange that you would worry at all that the content that's (from what I've seen) never cited as a high point of the game would influence it's successor. People are playing this for the first time and talking about how much love the characters, not the bath scenes. I just can't figure how your mind is calculating things to think that Atlus will suddenly go left as even the new fans go right.

It's really not that hard to see, you're just looking at it the wrong way.

Ignore the bath house scenes for a minute. Keep them in your peripheral vision or whatever.

Most of what Golden added was "WOOOOAH WACKY!", and when it wasn't that it was the band scene. Or the hot bath scenes. Either of them. There's also a small amount of the poignant stuff in new January content.

My concern is that people will see P4G and associate it purely with the comedy, the band scene etc. etc.

"BUT DANTIS!" I hear you cry! "PERSONA 4 ALREADY HAD SILLY SCENES! THINK OF THE CROSS DRESSING PAGEANT OR TEDDIE GOING SUPER SAIYAN!"

I appreciate that this is true, however, before these scenes were balanced. It's like they made a great chocolate cake and we all said "Man, Atlus, you made a great chocolate cake!" and then they re-released it a year later in smaller form but with even more chocolate and now I have a bitter taste in my mouth also the chocolate takes a steam bath and sings pop songs.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Then why do they still use the Atlus logo? Despite being fully owned by a corporate entity, the development team known as Atlus didn't somehow disintegrate and the name is still valuable.
Nope. Atlus is nothing but a brand now. Everything else is now Index.

Squire

Banned
As I thought you're upset that they added scenes where close high school friends enjoy their time with each other.

Man, come on.

I think I understand you better*, but I still think you're worried about nothing.

*= Social Link Rank Up!!

FluxWaveZ

Nope. Atlus is nothing but a brand now. Everything else is now Index.

Well... yeah? The brand still exists as well as the team associated with that brand, so it's still apt to say that "Atlus" developed something and not "Index." Absolutely no one goes around saying that "Index" developed Catherine or Etrian Odyssey.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well... yeah? The brand still exists as well as the team associated with that brand, so it's still apt to say that "Atlus" developed something and not "Index." Absolutely no one goes around saying that "Index" developed Catherine or Etrain Odyssey.
But they were developed by Index. Not my fault people like being deliberately wrong out of tradition!

FluxWaveZ

But they were developed by Index. Not my fault people like being deliberately wrong out of tradition!

If the company itself thought that way, they would have abolished the "Atlus" name a long time ago and they would have stuck the Index logo on the boxes and advertising. They didn't.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If the company itself thought that way, they would have abolished the "Atlus" name a long time ago and they would have stuck the Index logo on the boxes and advertising. They didn't.
That's the point of a brand. It doesn't matter when discussing the development, however.

FluxWaveZ

That's the point of a brand. It doesn't matter when discussing the development, however.

I see. So I guess we're saying the same thing in that the Atlus brand is still being used, but where we differ is how we refer to the development company. Well, me and the majority of people will still refer to games developed by the former Atlus staff as "Atlus" developed games because that's basically who they are. It'd be weird and almost wrong to refer to the Giant Bomb staff, for example, as CBS staff just because that's who they're owned by now and there are other examples I could come up with.

I bet you even the Atlus dev team themselves don't think of themselves as the "Index" development team.

Playing Persona 4 now, my first Persona game.

It feels like I have been pressing X for the past three hours. Yosuke is the only reason I'm still playing it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Let's be honest, that's a great reason to carry on.

Yosuke is THE BEST.

irXFrPz0YAJNj.gif

tumblr_lqrxdomEEz1qf5odlo1_500.jpg

Aside from being as tactless as a honey badger, I do actually like Yosuke. He made for a better comic relief character than anyone else in the series, IMO.

Just started p4 and someone spoiled Naoto's gender :( for me. Are there are any other suprises i can look forward to apart from the killer's identity?

If you couldn't figure that out after her first few lines, then you'd REALLY have a problem.

Trust me; it's not a twist at all.

Dantis

Just started p4 and someone spoiled
Naoto's gender :(
for me. Are there are any other suprises i can look forward to apart from the killer's identity?

I feel like there's only one significant twist in the game. For the most part, it's all about the execution. The characters and the world are much more entertaining than the events that push the story forwards.

Really? IIRC Naoto was referred to as the "detective prince" in a trailer so i assumed her gender was supposed to come as a surprise twist (and the fact that she looked nothing like a girl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom