• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
tumblr_lp65z7RzGA1qbkungo1_500.jpg

I really hope there's a black character you can S.Link with in P5.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well I guess I didn't need to sleep tonight!

But what was everyone's favorite social links from 3 and 4, if anyone wants to discuss that?

I think overall I found 3 to have more interesting S.Links than 4. Not sure if anyone else felt the same way?

3: Akinari, Bunchiki/Mitsuko, Tanaka, Maiko
4: Hisano, Rise, Naoto (even if I wasn't nuts about her as a character), Sayoko

I liked the Social Links in 3 better than 4, too. My favourites:

Tanaka, Maya, Mutatsu, Nozomi, Akinari, Kenji

The only ones I really liked in P4 were Naoto and Dojima.

Dantis

Saori's and Shinjiro's S Links > All others.

EDIT: Also, wall of shame -
buddha0991 137
Sophia 137
Jintor 123
Dantis 83
jello44 78
Trigger 61
Inorigo 55
Esura 48
FluxWaveZ 48
Noi 45

How am I only fourth what is even happening.

Sophia

I think overall I found 3 to have more interesting S.Links than 4. Not sure if anyone else felt the same way?

3: Akinari, Bunchiki/Mitsuko, Tanaka, Maiko
4: Hisano, Rise, Naoto (even if I wasn't nuts about her as a character), Sayoko

I dunno, both games had their awful social links. Tanaka and the old couple are pretty boring. At the same time I don't care for Naoki, Shu, or Ai's social links in 4 either.

FeMC's social links in portable blow away anything in vanilla 3 or 4 tho.

Yes!

Woot! I'm in first.... wait that's not a good thing is it? >_>;

Soma

Tanaka, Maya, Mutatsu, Nozomi, Akinari, Kenji

The only ones I really liked in P4 were Naoto and Dojima.

Nozomi? Really? God I hated that guy. The only reason I finished his SL was because I had already completed out everyone elses and my stats were maxed out at that point lol.

Mutatsu, Mayas and Akinari's were pretty good though. I also liked Mitsuru's but I'm a bit biased.

I honestly dont remember any of the SLs in P4 except for the nurse. I should give it another playthrough when I'm done with Persona 2.

Squire

Banned

Hmm. I'm slacking.

Ai's S. Link really grew on me. Not gonna call it god tier or anything, but I enjoyed it. It's very grounded, which I think is the nice thing about half the S. Links; the drama is never really all that high. You're just helping somebody deal with something.

Also: I feel closer to Atlus after reading that Kotaku article.

I dunno, both games had their awful social links. Tanaka and the old couple are pretty boring. At the same time I don't care for Naoki, Shu, or Ai's social links in 4 either.

Yes!

Woot! I'm in first.... wait that's not a good thing is it? >_>;

Look on the bright side, clearly the best two posters areat the top!

Reception is spotty here btw

Dantis

Hmm. I'm slacking.

I think it means you're a bad person. :O

Weirdly, I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping for a bit more insight. The bit about Game of Thrones was interesting (And I feel sorry for them in regards to it), but other than that it seemed like just standard stuff.

I really liked Tanaka's. Complete subversion of the standard S Link formula -
Generally, it's about solving a problem, and warm and fuzzy. Tanaka genuinely is just a bit of a twat.

Agree on FeMC's S Links being mostly the best, but I think it's because they're the most recent.

FluxWaveZ

It kind of made me angry that for whatever reason, Atlus couldn't have the chance to publish Dark Souls when they're the ones who brought Demon's Souls over. Would have probably done a better job with the online, too.

Dantis

It kind of made me angry that for whatever reason, Atlus couldn't have the chance to publish Dark Souls when they're the ones who brought Demon's Souls over. Would have probably done a better job with the online, too.

It says the reason in the article: They were outbid by Namco.

FluxWaveZ

It says the reason in the article: They were outbid by Namco.

Yes, but I meant that I think they should have had the moral right to work on Dark Souls when they're the ones who took a chance with Demon's Souls and supported it so well in the first place. Of course, it doesn't work like that, but it still would have been my preferred outcome.

randomkid

That Kotaku article should be a new thread like the XSeed one and not buried in this ghettoized community cesspool (no offense!)

The most interesting part by far is the bit about the apparent sales success of Growlanser and the talk about the viability of PSP game releases. It makes all that armchair analysis about sales potential justifications for Eternal Punishment PSP's lack of a release seem kinda foolish right? Always suspected there was some other reason if freaking Gungnir had made it out. Taking into account Shidoshi's cryptic post a while back it's a definite hint that some weird non-sales related stuff went down to prevent EP from making it out here.

Sophia

Yes, but I meant that I think they should have had the moral right to work on Dark Souls when they're the ones who took a chance with Demon's Souls and supported it so well in the first place. Of course, it doesn't work like that, but it still would have been my preferred outcome.

If Namco funded the development of Dark Souls, then there's little reason as to why Atlus should have had the moral right, regardless of success with Demon's Souls. =P

That Kotaku article should be a new thread like the XSeed one and not buried in this ghettoized community cesspool (no offense!)

The most interesting part by far is the bit about the apparent sales success of Growlanser and the talk about the viability of PSP game releases. It makes all that armchair analysis about sales potential justifications for Eternal Punishment PSP's lack of a release seem kinda foolish right? Always suspected there was some other reason if freaking Gungnir had made it out. Taking into account Shidoshi's cryptic post a while back it's a definite hint that some weird non-sales related stuff went down to prevent EP from making it out here.

^no offense taken bro, I know how the Persona fanbase can be at times, but most of the bullshit (most) is avoided here!

Dantis

I literally don't even know what you mean by this, but it definitely sounds offensive.

Also, what's this about some cryptic post by Shidoshi?

Sophia

Gekko High just has all the weirdest students. The absurdity of his SL and Kenji's too... I was dying. I actually thought
Kenji was dating the teacher!

Oh man now there's another really dumb Social Link. And Kenji only gets dumber when you do Rio's social link in Portable. Wish they would have replaced Kenji's with Junpei for the male.

Dantis

Gekko High just has all the weirdest students. The absurdity of his SL and Kenji's too... I was dying. I actually thought
Kenji was dating the teacher!

I always interpreted it as a sign that P3MC just associates with weirdos because he's an outcast himself, whereas Yu associated with relatively more normal people because he's a more outgoing guy.

randomkid

^no offense taken bro, I know how the Persona fanbase can be at times, but most of the bullshit (most) is avoided here!

Haha I just enjoy giving you people shit, don't take me seriously.

(for real though, look how superior the resurrected SMT community thread top ten is, FANWARZZZ)

cj_iwakura 104
Aeana 33
randomkid 31
SatelliteOfLove 25
TheSeks 20
charlequin 15
Watanabe Kazuma 14
Jucksalbe 14
Urban Scholar 13
Jenga 13

Seems to be pre-Turnip era.

Haha I just enjoy giving you people shit, don't take me seriously.

(for real though, look how superior the resurrected SMT community thread top ten is, FANWARZZZ)

cj_iwakura 104
Aeana 33
randomkid 31
SatelliteOfLove 25
TheSeks 20
charlequin 15
Watanabe Kazuma 14
Jucksalbe 14
Urban Scholar 13
Jenga 13

Seems to be pre-Turnip era.

I'll be posting there too so hide yo kids hide yo wife

FluxWaveZ

If Namco funded the development of Dark Souls, then there's little reason as to why Atlus should have had the moral right, regardless of success with Demon's Souls. =P

It's nothing objective; it's just that it doesn't sit right with me for the company to make the first game both a critical and financial success but then for a bigger company to swoop in for its sequel.

I always interpreted it as a sign that P3MC just associates with weirdos because he's an outcast himself, whereas Yu associated with relatively more normal people because he's a more outgoing guy.

Never thought about it like that, but would you describe P3MC as an outcast?

Sophia

It's nothing objective; it's just that it doesn't sit right with me for the company to make the first game both a critical and financial success but then for a bigger company to swoop in for its sequel.

Well, guess that was From Software's choice. *shrugs*

Omikaru

It's kind of bittersweet for me. I like Atlus, and their success with Demon's Souls (and the risk they took to bring it over) should've translated to lucrative rewards with Dark Souls, but I also like gaming on my PC. I don't think Atlus would've underwritten Dark Souls on PC like Namco did.

That said, I'm glad to see that digital download and online shopping is working out for them. Now if only they'd open up a UK/European branch and put an end to our delay misery.

jschreier

Ha, I just did a search for "atlus" because I was surprised there was no thread on it. Found people talking here. Glad you guys enjoyed!

Jintor

I hope we get to s.link with more teachers if we're in a school environment again.

I kinda wonder if they should upgrade the overworld animations or not. I kinda like how non-detailed they are right now... there's enough room for it to be expressive, but not enough for them to fuck it up by looking 'off'.

Ha, I just did a search for "atlus" because I was surprised there was no thread on it. Found people talking here. Glad you guys enjoyed!

Don't worry, you can still go to the gaming journalism thread for your regularly scheduled dose of hate!

Jintor

I like this article. I really should start that 'good gaming journalism' thread I've been meaning to do for a while

Omikaru

You should've asked them why they treat their European fans like dogshit scraped from their shoe.

Seriously, though, I love taking a look at companies like this. It's even better when they're as apparently candid as your story suggests they are, especially about disasters like Game of Thrones.

jschreier

I like this article. I really should start that 'good gaming journalism' thread I've been meaning to do for a while

Thanks. You should check out our other longreads, if you're interested: http://kotaku.com/kotaku-longreads I also recently wrote profiles on XSEED and Obsidian that people seemed to dig.

You should've asked them why they treat their European fans like dogshit scraped from their shoe.

I imagine because they don't actually have a presence in Europe!

Omikaru

Thanks. You should check out our other longreads, if you're interested: http://kotaku.com/kotaku-longreads I also recently wrote profiles on XSEED and Obsidian that people seemed to dig.

I imagine because they don't actually have a presence in Europe!

Yup. Such a shame. :( I know they're a small company and all, but Europe isn't exactly the boonies.

On the topic of longreads like this, do you have any others of interest coming up? I enjoyed that one.

Jintor

Generally speaking I only buy home console games in-stores and I haven't seen Catherine on .au shelves since... hell, did it even get released here? I have no clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom