• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

One of the worst decisions they made in modern Persona. In old Persona, you were the team leader not due to being special, but because you took charge and took up the mantle of being leader. If the leader fell in battle, guess what, the other guys could continue fighting and revive the leader and such. None of this OH NO OUR LEADER IS DEAD NO NO NO NO NO NO NOENGOE NIOGEKNGIO EEEEDEATH IS A HUNTER bullshit. Everyone was able to switch their Personae, thus leading to much more team diversity and development. There was still story Personae they used though. The whole team could enter the velvet room. Now its all SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE. Ugh.

Nope.

Taruranto

Lisa's parents are the best.

Her father, Steven Silverman, is the managing director of the foreign capital system trading company, whatever the hell THAT means. At his job, ironically, he has to wear a suit and speak English! He's an obvious parody of Steven Seagal, another famous Japanophile. Lisa's mother doesn't work; she is a traditional Japanese housewife. She cooks natto and other traditional Japanese foods. She's also blonde, and goes by the name of "Akiko," despite being an American.

randomkid

"Ultra-popular" is pretty Halverson-esque though. Wikipedia articles always tell you about how it's such a major franchise but I don't think sales ever bore that out so I find it interesting how this series has this reputation of being at the DQ/FF level back then. Maybe someone who lived in Japan in the 80s or 90s can chime in.

That back cover copy takes quite a few liberties with the actual game content, lol.

"100+ hours of gameplay" (yeah, OK, sure)
"...by entering the fantasy game known as Persona" (whuh?)
"Morph any member of your party into a more powerful source known as 'Persona' " (first of all, that's terrible phrasing; second of all, no one's actually transforming)

I must have picked up the game like 3 separate times at my local game store before finally deciding to buy it. I don't think the blurbs helped. (But I do remember liking that shot of the mall corridor, for some reason. I thought the 3D effect looked cool and it made me want to see what was in those shops.)

Dantis

The original English release certainly does not have 100 hours of gameplay. >_>;

This is what I was thinking. Wasn't it made significantly easier? Heightened EXP and lowered encounter rate?

Honestly, it sound like the superior game in that respect.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The original English release certainly does not have 100 hours of gameplay. >_>;

But it has blackface!

QIpTxU6.jpg

Sophia

This is what I was thinking. Wasn't it made significantly easier? Heightened EXP and lowered encounter rate?

Actually they made it harder. They forgot to increase the money rate too, so you're perpetually broke and without tarot cards.

Original US game had lower encounter rate, tougher encounters, fewer save points.

randomkid

Oh ha, that IS the back of the box text. Maybe those 100+ hours are supposed to refer to all that multiple playthrough time to see each fifth character option (or maybe the back of the Persona box is just like every other 90s RPG box with a game length estimate).

Also, Mark >>>>> Masao, for real.

Mark has also apparently planned for, if not demon invasion, some kind of serious shit, because he comes into your party with an axe equipped. (Wonder if he's just carting it around in his backpack like it's no big deal.) Everyone else except Yuki gets caught with their pants down and has to scavenge scalpels and mops (or go barehanded for the neat attack animation).

Jintor

Mark has also apparently planned for, if not demon invasion, some kind of serious shit, because he comes into your party with an axe equipped. (Wonder if he's just carting it around in his backpack like it's no big deal.) Everyone else except Yuki gets caught with their pants down and has to scavenge scalpels and mops (or go barehanded for the neat attack animation).

He's a good samaritan, man

Sophia

Quueeestion for PersonaGAF, considering I asked you before. What other $10 PSP/PSN game should I buy to go along with Dissidia?

Somewhere in the realm of 30 hours in to Persona 3 Portable.

^I have Alpha 3, its really cool!

You guys gonna get Killzone WHATEVER THE NEW ONE IS CALLED, Soul Sacrifice, and other multiplayer type games, I crave me some Vita MP for some reason.

Dantis

You guys gonna get Killzone Liberation, Soul Sacrifice, and other multiplayer type games, I crave me some Vita MP for some reason.

I have Wipeout, and so should you seeing as it's on Plus. If you wanna race some time then we can GAME ON.

I have Wipeout, and so should you seeing as it's on Plus. If you wanna race some time then we can GAME ON.

I am one of "those guys" who ended up buying CoD Vita.

I havent been playing many Vita games except P4A lately. Need to go back to my other games...

Oops, didn't mean Liberation, I meant Mercenary.

Noi

Well, you can't go wrong with other PS1 classics. Xenogears is ace.

*shrug*

How much is it? It's like £8 here.

20 bux each for CP and Book of Shadows.

You guys gonna get Killzone Liberation, Soul Sacrifice, and other multiplayer type games, I crave me some Vita MP for some reason.

Don't cross the streams!

I'm itching for Soul Sacrifice, but I don't know if I can afford. Only got the cash money for MG Rising and God of War, plus I need to raise money for PAX East. ._.

Sophia

Well, you can't go wrong with other PS1 classics. Xenogears is ace.

Plaaayed it so many times I can quote entire parts of the story by heart. I really would prefer to get something I'd never played before, or something that'd be ideal for portable play like Alpha 3. :p

Noi

It's tough recommending things when we don't know what you already own! :p

If all else fails, just go with Maverick Hunter X.

Sophia

That's the thing. I own virtually no PSP games except the ones I got for free (Killzone, LBP, FF Tactics) and Persona 3. :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yup. Right now I'm leaning towards Maverick Hunter X or Street Fighter Alpha 3 tho (my previous two choices before getting Persona 3 Portable.)

Also, Koromaru is aweeeesome! :D

You can never go wrong with Mega Man.

take my avatar for example. :3

Noi

That makes things easier! Stuff I'd recommend at that price range:

FFIV Complete Collection
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Half-Minute Hero
Patapon 2
Darkstalkers Chronicle
FFT War of the Lions

I've never played the english version of Persona 1 PSX, but I have seen screenshots and it always struck me as pretty funny that on the resistances menu they translated "Elemental" spell class as "Spirit" and "Science/Physics" spell class as "Physical." I imagine a lot of folks were probably really confused about the differences between "Weak to Physical" and "Weak to Attack."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom