• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0t0k1

I thought it was because the Wii version was an awful buggy piece of shit.

They released a v1.1 in Japan which fixed most bugs. Anyways i was craving some more shin megami after completing devil survivor. So i started playing Persona 4 again. I just completed the second dungeon. I was lauging so hard at kanji.

Squire

Banned
That Kotaku article should be a new thread like the XSeed one and not buried in this ghettoized community cesspool (no offense!)

The most interesting part by far is the bit about the apparent sales success of Growlanser and the talk about the viability of PSP game releases. It makes all that armchair analysis about sales potential justifications for Eternal Punishment PSP's lack of a release seem kinda foolish right? Always suspected there was some other reason if freaking Gungnir had made it out. Taking into account Shidoshi's cryptic post a while back it's a definite hint that some weird non-sales related stuff went down to prevent EP from making it out here.

Your intent is irrelevant. An insult is an insult.

I think Shidoshi is just speaking based on experience, not some insider knowledge. If he wants to say otherwise, then by all means.

I enjoyed the article a ton (Great job, Jason! I was gonna tweet you about this thread, so I'm glad you found it.), but I don't really think there's anything thread worthy in it.

At least not in the way there was with the XSEED thread where they said straight-up they has multiple announcements imminent. There's some interesting stories, but that's about it. Jason makes it clear there's no P5/SMT4 hints, the jury is still out on EP, and Dragon's Crown is totally still a thing.

If you want a thread for that, go ahead (I'm sure Jason would appreciate any recognition/feedback/discussion), but we're in the same spot we were prior.

jschreier

Your intent is irrelevant. An insult is an insult.

I think Shidoshi is just speaking based on experience, not some insider knowledge. If he wants to say otherwise, then by all means.

I enjoyed the article a ton (Great job, Jason! I was gonna tweet you about this thread, so I'm glad you found it.), but I don't really think there's anything thread worthy in it.

At least not in the way there was with the XSEED thread where they said straight-up they has multiple announcements imminent. There's some interesting stories, but that's about it. Jason makes it clear there's no P5/SMT4 hints, the jury is still out on EP, and Dragon's Crown is totally still a thing.

If you want a thread for that, go ahead (I'm sure Jason would appreciate any recognition/feedback/discussion), but we're in the same spot we were prior.

Thanks - glad you enjoyed! I must say, I think it's rather... interesting that there are *always* threads when someone *doesn't* like a Kotaku article, but rarely threads when someone does. ;)

Omikaru

Generally speaking I only buy home console games in-stores and I haven't seen Catherine on .au shelves since... hell, did it even get released here? I have no clue.

It's probably something you'll have to buy online at this point. Well worth it though; probably my favourite game of 2011.

I played it. It was shit.
I'll second that. I know a big Game of Thrones fan who bought it without thinking, and chucked it my way because I was interested. Yep. Terrible.

jschreier

Yup. Such a shame. :( I know they're a small company and all, but Europe isn't exactly the boonies.

On the topic of longreads like this, do you have any others of interest coming up? I enjoyed that one.

Hopefully! I have a few long stories on the backburner. No studio profiles in the works just yet, although I'd like to go out and do some more. Gotta ask the boss for dem travel budgets.

Jintor

The game of thrones RPG was good. lolKotaku.

Heard from multiple people it was craptacular

Thanks - glad you enjoyed! I must say, I think it's rather... interesting that there are *always* threads when someone *doesn't* like a Kotaku article, but rarely threads when someone does. ;)

It's easy to argue over why something is bad or not bad (and let's be honest here, Kotaku articles can absolutely trawl the field in bad), but if something's good it goes unnoticed. It's like typesetting, or subediting, or good design; nobody looks at an article and goes 'man, the subediting was really good on that!' but if you leave in misspellings or don't fix orphans or whatever it really becomes jarring.

Omikaru

Defending Kotaku using Metacritic is kind hilarious.

So is attacking them for calling a spade a spade. Game of Thrones RPG was, to put it diplomatically, not a very good game by any metric. Well, except the dialogue, I guess. But story/dialogue does not make a good game.

Squire

Banned

It definitely irks me. There's good game journalism out there, but people close their eyes to it and shine a light on the gunk. It's journalism in general (you always here about FOX News being awful, but no one mentions the excellence of Nightline), but the GAF rhetoric of "lol games journalism, lol kotaku, lol reviews" is especially aggravating.

But yeah, you did a great job. That should be acknowledged.

Forums like the Codex liked it. I would definitely trust their opinion more, but that's just me.

Now it all makes sense.

Taruranto

So is attacking them for calling a spade a spade. Game of Thrones RPG was, to put it diplomatically, not a very good game by any metric. Well, except the dialogue, I guess. But story/dialogue does not make a good game.

The game gets more shit normal rpg because it isn't from a popular developer and doesn't have pretty grapix. Like, you see people (well, mostly the video-game journalism) criticizing it, which is fine, and then going around praising ME or DA. Well, i guess we are OT. I'd love to discuss what makes a good RPG and GoT gameplay, i'll send you a PM explaining my reasons for liking it, if you want.

Wait, so you haven't even played it?

Of course i did. I was speaking to him since he said "i heard". I also know people who liked it.

Omikaru

The game gets more shit normal rpg because it isn't from a popular developer and doesn't have pretty grapix. Like, you see people (well, mostly the video-game journalism) criticizing it, which is fine, and then going around praising ME or DA. Well, i guess we are OT. I'd love to discuss what makes a good RPG and GoT gameplay, i'll send you a PM explaining my reasons for liking it, if you want.

By all means PM me if you're more comfortable, but I don't think there's necessarily a strict topic of discussion here. It's a community thread, not an OT, so I guess the rules aren't as strict. I think good RPG gameplay in relation to GoT (a game published by Atlus) is pretty relevant considering Persona is a series of RPGs, so long as it doesn't completely derail the thread for pages upon pages. I think we've talked about all sorts of stuff in here not Persona-related, including Dantis' Wii U woes. Though obviously if a mod says differently...

Oh and FYI, I kind of agree that it's a bit hypocritical for critics to paste GoT and then sing praises for Mass Effect (in particular 3 -- the EA ballwashing and general defense of that game is appalling considering how monumentally bad it was) and Dragon Age (in particular 2 -- The Escapist review of that game is nauseating) series, which are both pretty awful all things considered.

Jintor

Was it the same people dissing GoT and praising DA2/ME or are ya'll just homogenising gaming journalism into a single mass as tends to be the case?

Omikaru

Was it the same people dissing GoT and praising DA2/ME or are ya'll just homogenising gaming journalism into a single mass as tends to be the case?

Probably homogenising. I've not researched it, and I'm just following _Keiichi_'s lead here. That, and I don't miss an opportunity to preach about how bad Bioware are anyway. They used to make praiseworthy RPGs with good mechanics and systems, and somehow that reputation mutated into them being the masters of storytelling when in reality they've always written schlocky garbage. It's a big shame because they threw good RPG gameplay under the bus to focus on more story and, well, we can all see what happens when that reaches its natural conclusion: revenge of shit mountain.

Squire

Banned

Also: It's entirely possible that a lot people did play all three and found the BioWare games good, GoT bad and are perfectly capable of articulating why. You know, opinions.

Sophia

okay real talk persona's pretty good ey

Something something something persona 1 something something persona 3 something something something Tartarus something something
Nyx in both games
something something something.

That enough real talk for you? :p

(I got bored with the conversation when it started being about journalism, and started thinking about the connections between Persona 1 and Persona 3.)

Omikaru

Persona's amazing.

So yeah, if you can't tell by my new avatar, I've been watching Durarara!! lately, and after getting the bloody ending credits song stuck in my head, I discovered a whole parody meme relating to it.

There are Persona-related ones.

P3P: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ_6d6LLS2c
P4 Social links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-KhfLX_6eU
P4 in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ1GqXhLEaY

I am continually amazed at the time people have to make these things. Just a shame the copyright monster got the music in two of 'em. :(

Taruranto

tl;dr, not about Purse-Owner incoming.

By all means PM me if you're more comfortable, but I don't think there's necessarily a strict topic of discussion here. It's a community thread, not an OT, so I guess the rules aren't as strict. I think good RPG gameplay in relation to GoT (a game published by Atlus) is pretty relevant considering Persona is a series of JRPGs, so long as it doesn't completely derail the thread. I think we've talked about all sorts of stuff in here not Persona-related, including Dantis' Wii U woes. Though obviously if a mod says differently...

Oh and FYI, I kind of agree that it's a bit hypocritical for critics to paste GoT and then sing praises for Mass Effect (in particular 3 -- the EA ballwashing and general defense of that game is appalling considering how monumentally bad it was) and Dragon Age (in particular 2 -- The Escapist review of that game is nauseating) series, which are both pretty awful all things considered.

While it's obviously flawed (the town design, menus, and some other issues i can't remember right now), i don't think it's nowhere "worse than Hitler" like some people make it out to be. It's definitely a game one plays for the story (of course, since Martin itself helped them) but i don't consider the gameplay THAT bad, especially considering how many more popular titles get a free pass despite being much worse when it comes to many things. (ugh, DA waves of enemies)

I hate to mention it again, but for example DA may appears to have a more complex BS at first, but the game throws you wave of mobs, making it one of the most boring games i ever played. GoT doesn't have a particularly deep BS, but the fact that the game only throws at you 3-4 enemies at time, and you only do something like 7-8 fights per chapter makes the game much, much better than a lot of things to me.

Another things it's quest design for example, small quests with a lot of long-term C&C, and the game doesn't have any fetch quest.

It's indeed a flawed game, i give it a 6,5/7, but there are definitely things that can be liked in there, and i definitely preferred playing it than many "AAA" games. That's why i think Kotaku statement is awful. I definitely don't think they would have made the same statement had the game come from a more popular developer. (Like Bethesda or Bioware)

(I got bored with the conversation when it started being about journalism, and started thinking about the connections between Persona 1 and Persona 3.)

Ah, sorry about that.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Something something something persona 1 something something persona 3 something something something Tartarus something something
Nyx in both games
something something something.

That enough real talk for you? :p

Something something something persona something robots are awesome something something something more like tartar sauce something something something lolsymbolism something something something I'm getting hungry I should make food while I watch this hockey game something something something we want EP make it happen Atlus Nich I know you are reading this something something something potato.

Sophia

Something something something persona something robots are awesome something something something more like tartar sauce something something something lolsymbolism something something something I'm getting hungry I should make food while I watch this hockey game something something something we want EP make it happen Atlus Nich I know you are reading this something something something potato.

All those "somethings" are making you hungry, clearly.

Sophia

I'll be up for that. I'm going to just assume PersonaGAF is getting this game on PS3 rather than 360?

Yup, almost all of us have it on PS3.

I'm all for doing a lobby. I haven't played in awhile, and my skills with Aigis need some polishing. :D

Actually I'd play right now if I had the time. >_>;

neoemonk

1 in 32 chance of fusion accident during triangle spread is a lie.

I've done more than a hundred now. All different levels. I watch the animation. I skip the animation. I curse Igor for being so good at his job.

I'm beginning to hate this trophy.

Jintor

I got it randomly my first time through the game. I got Risette's trophy completely at random my second time through. Getting trophies/cheevos by accident is the best. Having them as explicit goals to work for pisses me off.

Trigger

1 in 32 chance of fusion accident during triangle spread is a lie.

I've done more than a hundred now. All different levels. I watch the animation. I skip the animation. I curse Igor for being so good at his job.

I'm beginning to hate this trophy.

I love that the SMT brand of toughness also applies to trophies.

Sophia

I love that the SMT brand of toughness also applies to trophies.

I don't think that the "SMT brand of toughness" applies there. That's just a stupid trophy without much thought into it. Which... is most of the trophies for Persona 4 Golden, actually. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom