• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I played the demo when it first came out and loved it. Finally playing the whole thing now, I'm better at it, but somehow a little less enthused by it. I also just finished a Halo, so I think I'm a little spoiled to Bungie's AI.

I think it's great though, so far. Does what Max Payne 3 tried to do and much better. And your contact is voiced by (and kinda looks like) Kari Wahlgren, so bonus points for that.

Also, smoke breaks. And good achievement names.

Squire

Banned
I thought it was decent enough to finish, but massively overrated.

As all Platinum games are.

But i'd be lying if I said it wasn't some of (if not the) best third-person shooting this generation. That's undeniable if you're invested in the genre.

FluxWaveZ

But i'd be lying if I said it wasn't some of (if not the) best third-person shooting this generation. That's undeniable if you're invested in the genre.

I can deny it. Vanquish was tedious and surprisingly boring for a game I thought would very much appeal to me. Either the gameplay systems didn't click for me or I just didn't like them.

Sophia

I thought it was decent enough to finish, but massively overrated.

I agree that it applies to Platinum games.

ZXr1SON.png

Forgive these heretic, oh Father Kamiya... For they do not know the shit they eat.

Squire

Banned
I can deny it. Vanquish was tedious and surprisingly boring for a game I thought would very much appeal to me. Either the gameplay systems didn't click for me or I just didn't like them.

Suit yourself. I'm speaking purely about the mechanics of shooting though, for what it's worth. The aiming, weapon feedback, and mobility are all top tier.

Now whether or not the game uses that stuff well I can't really comment on since I'm like 40 mins in. I felt the same way about Max Payne 3. The feel of combat was amazing, they just couldn't properly design levels/encounters around it.

Dantis

I played through it after I played Binary Domain, and I felt like Binary Domain's shooting was miles better, personally. Much better story and graphics too.

Squire

Banned

I played through it after I played Binary Domain, and I felt like Binary Domain's shooting was miles better, personally. Much better story and graphics too.

BD is passable. About as good as Mass Effect 2/3.

cj_iwakura

I think Nagoshi's team are pretty much the most talented devs in Japan right now, graphically speaking. I love Y4's facial animations.

Drakengard is nuts so far, but a lot more fun than Nier.
(Consider that I did like Nier's gameplay too)

Also, Platinum: Anarchy Reigns was great.

cjkeats

I'm in the "Platinum isn't as good as they say" club. However I'm just not a fan of those types of games, so that's that.
Haven't played vanquish yet though either, have had it for ages.

Binary Domain was awesome. Big Booooooooo

Squire

Banned
I think Nagoshi's team are pretty much the most talented devs in Japan right now, graphically speaking. I love Y4's facial animations.

If anything these people define the bottom of the barrel as far as AAA development in Japan.

I think PG does things that are (sort of) original, so often people let them get away with OK-ish design. They're not gods. The fact "PG should make (insert game)!" Is a thing is ridiculous.

Personally, I'm in Vanquish because it's a Mikami game.

Dantis

BD is passable. About as good as Mass Effect 2/3.

Get the fuck out of town.

Nagoshi's team was amazing until the terrible idol mode in Y5.

I never played Drakengard because I heard the gameplay was janky. I am interested in the apparent twisted-ness of the story though.

Dantis

That shooting was nothing to write home about, son. "JP dev impersonating Epic Games" ostensibly.

...Have you actually played much of it? Because it plays nothing like Gears at all (Relatively, obviously).

Of course, since you've played Yakuza 5, please tell me all about it.

Man, how surprised would you be if I had? :D

And I don't need to play the idol section to know that I wouldn't like it. I wouldn't be able to make it through a single song, haha!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Vanquish : The game so nice, I bought it twice (one copy for both systems) Really the only Platinum game I greatly enjoyed.

The story is balls stupid but the gameplay is great.

Taruranto

I never played Drakengard because I heard the gameplay was janky. I am interested in the apparent twisted-ness of the story though.

Drakengars gameplay is bad. Like worse-than-Hitler bad. Like being kicked in the nuts and getting throw of a cliff bad.

The story relies on the "stock factor"(for a jrpg), but once you get past that it, it's poor, with awful characters and nonsensical world-building.

The LP really does a good job at convening it.

Jun Iwasaki, president and chief executive officer of Square-Enix USA, described Drakengard as a "perfect hybrid of genres" due to its blend of action, character growth influenced by role-playing games, and a "solid story that binds it all together". According to him, the game is intended to appeal to gamers looking for a "deeper action game".

Jun Iwasaki is a fucking idiot. Drakengard is a terrible game -- absolutely awful. It isn't fun. At all. There is no fun to be found here. Look elsewhere for fun. It is a muddy hybrid of a half-assed Dynasty Warriors clone meets a poor man's knock off of Panzer Dragoon coupled with an unbearably dull grind fest.

PK Gaming

iezdbcIW1fnaZ.gif

Teddie as Phoenix Wright is the worst.

lol

confession time: I really liked that scene in the anime. Its cheesy on its own, but its placed at the perfect moment in the anime (during the Mitsuo episode)

As an aside, as i'm playing through P2, i've really come to appreciate some of its mechanics. The contact option is awesome, and fusion spells are much, much better.

PS: P2 character facial art >>> P3 & P4. They're more varied and are generally better imo.

Gorgeous art ♥

Jintor

Jintor

I wont' deny BD has far more interesting characters and story than Vanquish though, but gameplay? Yessh, the most interesting thing is that you can shoot limbs off in a somewhat tactical way. Can't rocket-knee that, whiff a melee attack, slow-mo cancel and shoot your own grenade mid-air.

For what it was I enjoyed BD's combat, but it was pretty much roadie run from cover to cover and shoot some dudes. Man, that giant robot spider boss... could've been something real special.

cj_iwakura

For what it's worth, he's partially right about that. Binary Domain's shooting is extremely good.

Better than Dead Souls? In a word, I'd call that game's shooting flawed. Passable, but it could've been worlds better. And not using melee in a Yakuza game - madness.

Sophia

Better than Dead Souls? In a word, I'd call that game's shooting flawed. Passable, but it could've been worlds better. And not using melee in a Yakuza game - madness.

The shooting in Dead Souls is pretty average. However a significant factor in this is because the enemies outside of bosses become dull after ahwile.

cj_iwakura

The shooting in Dead Souls is pretty average. However a significant factor in this is because the enemies outside of bosses become dull after ahwile.

Yep. The core plot and sidestories made up for it, which was why I saw it through.

I figured they'd back out on Zombie Majima, but the resolution was hilarious.

Squire

Banned
Dead Souls shooting is absolute fucking trash. Like "what the fuck were you even thinking?!" bad.

I was shocked BD was decent at all at the start, coming off Dead Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom