• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

I'm not a fan of randomly generated dungeons but I actually don't mind the ones in the Persona games for some reason. Still, there's no excuse for them to not make normal dungeons in P5 when every other SMT game gets that treatment. They don't even have to be as complex as some of the other games.

Dantis

I'm not a fan of randomly generated dungeons but I actually don't mind the ones in the Persona games for some reason. Still, there's no excuse for them to not make normal dungeons in P5 when every other SMT game gets that treatment. They don't even have to be as complex as some of the other games.

In Persona 3 and 4 it will have been about managing resources. If they'd put time into designing 'proper' dungeons, it would have pulled resources away from other aspects of the game.

One thing Atlus excels at (SMT4 not withstanding) is making excellent use of what they have. Trauma Team is another excellent example of it.

Soriku

In Persona 3 and 4 it will have been about managing resources. If they'd put time into designing 'proper' dungeons, it would have pulled resources away from other aspects of the game.

One thing Atlus excels at (SMT4 not withstanding) is making excellent use of what they have. Trauma Team is another excellent example of it.

I'm not really seeing what P3 and P4 have that would have been cut/minimized if they made proper dungeons.

Social Links? lol.

Again, they don't have to make very complicated dungeons like the ones in Nocturne or DDS for example, but they can do better than randomly generated dungeons.

Kazzy

I did, but apparently I wasn't paying much attention. lol, I'm clearly not suited to be a navigator if P-GAF ever goes dungeon crawling together.

Well, the dungeons are so nondescript in structure, that I can hardly blame someone for not really paying attention!

Personally, I think that the dungeons have a certain charm to them. I think that the themed interiors of Persona 4 went some way into combating the sheer blandness of those in 3. Though, I did appreciate the evolving musical motif as you progressed through the blocks of Tartarus.

FluxWaveZ

Anyone with a decent internet connection want to play me in P4A later today? Haven't played in awhile.
There's a tourney tomorrow that I may or may not have time for, so I might as well warm up just in case.

If you're there: I can't message you on PSN right now, Rhapsody, and I saw your invite, but I can't join you quite yet, sorry.

Dantis

I'm not really seeing what P3 and P4 have that would have been cut/minimized if they made proper dungeons.

Social Links? lol.

Again, they don't have to make very complicated dungeons like the ones in Nocturne or DDS for example, but they can do better than randomly generated dungeons.

Is this a joke? :/

It doesn't mean they'd have to literally cut out entire features, but it absolutely means that they'd have less time to spend developing them, which would lead to, at the very least, weaker implementations of those features.

EDIT: To expand on that a little: Games are made under extremely tight time budgets. Time is managed through milestones. You can't just say "Hey Bob, spend the next week designing dungeons, and then Ted will spend the next two weeks implementing them.". Those staff will already have jobs to do, and reassigning them other tasks means that they won't be able to get everything done.

Not to mention that these things take much, much longer than you would probably expect.

Soriku

Is this a joke? :/

It doesn't mean they'd have to literally cut out entire features, but it absolutely means that they'd have less time to spend developing them, which would lead to, at the very least, weaker implementations of those features.

EDIT: To expand on that a little: Games are made under extremely tight time budgets. Time is managed through milestones. You can't just say "Hey Bob, spend the next week designing dungeons, and then Ted will spend the next two weeks implementing them.". Those staff will already have jobs to do, and reassigning them other tasks means that they won't be able to get everything done.

Not to mention that these things take much, much longer than you would probably expect.

OK? P3 and P4 had cheap cutscenes and small towns. I feel like you're exaggerating the impact proper dungeons would have on everything else, especially when the vast majority of JRPGs have proper dungeons. Randomly generated dungeons is the only alternative?

Dantis

OK? P3 and P4 had cheap cutscenes and small towns. I feel like you're exaggerating the impact proper dungeons would have on everything else, especially when the vast majority of JRPGs have proper dungeons. Randomly generated dungeons is the only alternative?

Well, I think you're wrong. Designing 263 floors for Tartarus would be a colossal effort.

Yes, the cutscenes are cheap. This only serves to prove my point. They did what they could with what they had. They didn't make these lo-fi cutscenes and then sit around for two months doing nothing. The games you're referring to likely have much larger budgets and teams and don't have S Links and whatnot.

EDIT: This sounded more scathing than I probably intended. Sorry!

Venfayth

There didn't need to be 263 floors. I would have been fine with a fifth of that number of floors, if the floors were longer and well designed.

Soriku

Well, I think you're wrong. Designing 263 floors for Tartarus would be a colossal effort.

Yes, the cutscenes are cheap. This only serves to prove my point. They did what they could with what they had. They didn't make these lo-fi cutscenes and then sit around for two months doing nothing.

If they didn't have randomly generated dungeons they wouldn't need to make 263 unique floors. Actually I was thinking of making a lot less floors, but making them bigger and more complex. So you would still spend the same amount of time as you normally would on Tartarus but you're going through less floors.

Now, Tartarus is a huge tower and obviously a lot of floors are expected, but they could've just replicated what they did with the Tower of Kagustuchi in Nocturne. Very long dungeon and it goes up to 666 floors but you don't actually go up 666 unique floors.

Same deal with Persona 4. Instead of having like 8-11 floor dungeons or whatever, they could make 3-5 floors but design them better.

Sophia

I suspect that randomly design dungeons was not one of budget or resources, but an intentional design choice by the team.

Persona 3 itself is basically a game of over-ambition.

Marche90

I don't think that the game was benefited by making the dungeons randomly-generated . If anything, sometimes it was annoying... well, maybe except for times where you wanted to get to the next floor faster and the RNG blessed you by having the stairs near.

I also hope that for the next Persona games, we get better designed dungeons. I'm not complaining if we get the same type of dungeons as P3 and P4, but it would be something nice to have, and it may draw new players to the series, too.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't think that the game was benefited by making the dungeons randomly-generated . If anything, sometimes it was annoying... well, maybe except for times where you wanted to get to the next floor faster and the RNG blessed you by having the stairs near.

I also hope that for the next Persona games, we get better designed dungeons. I'm not complaining if we get the same type of dungeons as P3 and P4, but it would be something nice to have, and it may draw new players to the series, too.

P3 had preset "dungeons" on each full moon boss, right? So hopefully at best they'll have some scattered throughout P5 (but with more effort) if they want to keep some randomly generated dungeons. I have to admit that I didn't find the random dungeons in P4 too bad, but I still pretty much wanted to 1 day a dungeon ASAP just so I can do other stuff.

Dantis

The Growlanser Art Works book is amazing.

Udon outdid themselves in bringing this one over. Yahweh bless them.

Growlanser has such a weird art style. It's very... shiny?

I was thinking about getting the Fire Emblem Awakening art book, but I can't decide if I like it enough to import, and the last time I imported an art book it got translated (Hyrule Historia). Then again Trauma Team, Radiant Historia and Catherine never got translated, so I guess it could go either way.

Rhapsody

Banned
Growlanser has such a weird art style. It's very... shiny?

I was thinking about getting the Fire Emblem Awakening art book, but I can't decide if I like it enough to import, and the last time I imported an art book it got translated (Hyrule Historia). Then again Trauma Team, Radiant Historia and Catherine never got translated, so I guess it could go either way.

I want to get the FE:A artbook. My worry is if most of the art is something like character portraits/CGs.
If it has lots of promo art, I'd probably get it. Although iirc, the book is somewhat expensive.

cj_iwakura

I haven't played any of that series, but it seems like the art direction is pretty nice.

Makes me sad. Best SRPG series no one plays.

I was reluctant to buy this, but I'm so glad I did.

erBLfJt.jpg

Love or hate his style, Urushihara is certainly distinct.

tLmcBUc.jpg

cQWaYtN.jpg

gyZaSlR.jpg

05uuRpH.jpg

My favorite illustration so far:
iQx9lFI.jpg

Dantis

So Would I Lie To You is a panel show in the UK where the contestants (Comedians and British actors, generally) have to tell a story and the other contestants have to tell if they're lying. It occurs to me that most of you non-UKers will not be aware of this show, so I am going to share it with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXxmMUIx8k

I genuinely think it has to be the funniest panel show that I've ever seen.

EDIT: I love this show.

I see what Dantis means. His art is very glossy.

Seeing as CJ posted that, I feel we need more Kozaki in here.

Seriously great art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom