• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I was just thinking to myself last night that I bet come November, P4G will still be the best game on Vita. I consider it a system seller.

Sophia

Hey all, I have some questions about Persona 4 and I figured this was probably the best place to get them answered.

I've never played a Persona game before, and I've heard Persona 4 is the best game on the vita. I've got a lot of credit at Gamestop and I want to spend it well.

What makes Persona 4 so good? and do I need to play any of the other games to understand what's going on or are they all separate?

Thanks!

The Persona games are largely standalone. You can play Persona 4 (Golden) without any knowledge of the previous games. All of them take place in the same world, so there are some recurring characters, but you can jump in anywhere really for the main games and enjoy.

As for what makes them so good? The nonstandard story. The Music. The characters who aren't your average two dimensional flat JRPG protagonists. The Urban Fantasy setting that's rarely seen in RPGs. The Music. The insanely polished and fleshed out combat system that rewards strategy. The perfect mixing of visual novels and adventure elements with traditional RPG gameplay perfected almost to a fault. Oh, and did I mention the music? Because it bears repeating.

Ah okay, thanks! The last jrpg I tried getting into was Ni no Kuni and it didn't hold my interest for very long, but I think a handheld jrpg would fair much better.

About how long is it?

Persona 4 usually sits around 60-70 hours. Playtimes will vary depending if you do optional content, go for Max social links, or do New Game Plus. It's pretty pick up and play, thanks to the day by day system and dungeons with floors. So you can get stuff done even if you've only got around 10-15 minutes at a time.

Tamanon

Banned
Ah okay, thanks! The last jrpg I tried getting into was Ni no Kuni and it didn't hold my interest for very long, but I think a handheld jrpg would fair much better.

About how long is it?

Usually around 60-80 hours your first time through. It's a long game, that's for sure.

Uncle AJ

I'm devoting as much time as I can to fighting games when I sit down with a console, so until they invent a practical portable arcade stick / monitor combo, P4G was nice to have in portable form as something to play during traveling.

But I'll probably never shake the feeling that portable exclusives in this day and age could have been so much more. I don't want Atlus to hold back on Persona 5 because of hardware limitations.

The Persona games are largely standalone. You can play Persona 4 (Golden) without any knowledge of the previous games. All of them take place in the same world, so there are some recurring characters, but you can jump in anywhere really for the main games and enjoy.

As for what makes them so good? The nonstandard story. The Music. The characters who aren't your average two dimensional flat JRPG protagonists. The Urban Fantasy setting that's rarely seen in RPGs. The Music. The insanely polished and fleshed out combat system that rewards strategy. The perfect mixing of visual novels and adventure elements with traditional RPG gameplay polished to a fault. Oh, and did I mention the music? Because it bears repeating.

Persona 4 usually sits around 60-70 hours. Playtimes will vary depending if you do optional content, go for Max social links, or do New Game Plus. It's pretty pick up and play, thanks to the day by day system and dungeons with floors. So you can get stuff done even if you've only got around 10-15 minutes at a time.

Okay I'm convinced! The music is really great and being able to play in short bursts sounds perfect.

Thanks again!

Levito

Banned
But I'll probably never shake the feeling that portable exclusives in this day and age could have been so much more. I don't want Atlus to hold back on Persona 5 because of hardware limitations.

This is my greatest fear, for the love of god the thing just better be on a console.

Squire

Banned
They scrapped the engine, we don't know where it is until they tell us.

Where did you read that? They dropped GameBryo after Catherine to build an engine in-house.

I wonder if P5 will get DLC? SMTIV and Arena both had it. I expect Persona 5 to be a big seller too.

They'd be fools not to.

Such confidence!

Well, all that plus no Persona game has debuted on a portable only re-released. It's not like SMTIV. The franchise is more vibrant and viable than ever.

Trigger

Antonio Silva was confident he'd run through Mr. Velasquez LOOK WHERE THAT GOT HIM.

He'll be back!

One of these days....
r4CiE.png

What is the best way to introduce yourself ?

Posting lots of Chie fan art.

esoterika

Neo Member
Welp, if they're willing to put Dragon's Crown on a console, I'd hope they'd do the same with freakn Persona 5.

But isn't Dragon's Crown mostly Vanillaware? Though Vanillaware's past 3 titles have been handheld, so I guess it is a good sign that when they get Atlus assistance it goes to console.

Edit: Actually it seems it was announced for console before Atlus stepped in.

esoterika

Neo Member
Well, if Persona 5 is on handheld, we can at least expect Persona 5 Arena on console.

8Y7HBTj.gif

Edit: I mean Persona 4 Arena 2

Edit: I mean Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon 2

Sophia

I don't think we'll see another Persona fighting game for quite awhile. ArcSys has it's hands full right now between Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

Sophia

And XBlaze. And Mori's PS4 project.

I think Arena was probably a one-off.

I don't think it was a one-off. I think stuff just got in the way. ArcSys seems like they want to do something different for once. Remember, Blazblue was originally suppose to be an RPG....

I liked when costumes were part of a game to begin with. Good times.

Gekkoukan High uniforms in P5. Now you too can look like the adventures who solved the Tatsumi Port Island incidents. $3.99.

Meia

You know there will be an assload of dlc for P5.

And I will be part of the problem by buying it all 5 times.

Kinda weird though I guess. The first version of any of the modern persona games didn't have costumes, then they added it in a feature as a re-release. Provided they add new content on top of costumes like they've done, I wouldn't mind more of that instead of just blanket DLC.

Didn't the Tales games have things like costume DLC, but you could also earn them in the game? That would be better I think. Arena already did this with the navigators anyway.

Squire

Banned
S. Links definitely aren't happening because of the way they're designed. I guess they could make dungeons work, but I don't seem them doing that either.

cjkeats

I could see dungeons being like the DLC maps in Fire Emblem. Jus there on the side for you to do whenever, grind away with. Something like that anyways.

you can buy an extra month of slink time through dlc.
you must buy the game's real true ending through dlc.
additional slink stories such as "my little slink can't possibly be this moe" will be available for 8 dollars a piece.
the fox's healing costs real money

Sophia

Yeah I'd prefer it if they handled DLC like Fallout 3 handled it. It's basically the updated re-release thing except you don't need to buy a new copy. >_>;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom