• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

...post it.

p3dramaagrtz.jpg

The protagonist's side is used as the cover for Daylight. Aigis's side is used for the follow up drama CD, Moonlight. It's by far one of my favorite Soejima drawn images, perhaps second only to my avatar.

Dantis

p3dramaagrtz.jpg

The protagonist's side is used as the cover for Daylight. Aigis's side is used for the follow up drama CD, Moonlight. It's by far one of my favorite Soejima drawn images, perhaps second only to my avatar.

I think this illustration is the first time Soejima used his current style. Super fine lineart and much better eye-shapes.

P3? Or were they introduced with FES? Either way, it's not an excuse for DLC.

FES, Portable and Golden all had costumes. They were also all re-releases.

I don't mind paying for costumes. In fact, it's probably my favourite kind of post-release DLC.

Dantis

That's the thing I wanna know most about P5: What the characters look like.

Well, his characters have been getting more... I don't want to say attractive, because that doesn't seem like the right word, but his female characters post-P4 have gotten more curvy, and he's started giving everyone these really long eyelashes and whatnot. If you compare, say, FeMC to Chie, it's immediately noticeable. I think it will carry on in that direction.

I'm also expecting mega stylish designs. Again, post-P4 it seemed like a conscious decision.

And yet I'll always miss his crisp original style.

220px-Persona_3_AD.jpg

No question, something was lost in the transition.

That's just Soejima imitating Kaneko though, whereas now he does his own thing. It's like when you look at Doi's Trauma Center work, and it's just a blatant Soejima ripoff, then in Trauma Team he got the chance to impress everyone with his own style.

For lack of a better term, I think that best describes it. His new P3 art style is borderline generic.

kangaroodropsball.gif

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
p3dramaagrtz.jpg

Sadly ruined by Ken's presence.

Squire

Banned
Was this ever a doubt?

How much is a "success" in terms of sales anyway? Never paid attention to numbers, but want success for obvious reasons.

Success is determined by number of copies sold relative to consumers who have the hardware to purchase the game and live in the region of the release. For Japan, upwards of 200k is great, yeah.

For lack of a better term, I think that best describes it. His new P3 art style is borderline generic.

Ah, I knew it! :p

cj_iwakura

That's just Soejima imitating Kaneko though, whereas now he does his own thing. It's like when you look at Doi's Trauma Center work, and it's just a blatant Soejima ripoff, then in Trauma Team he got the chance to impress everyone with his own style.

I've never seen Kaneko do a perspective piece like that. To me that's the picture that defines Persona 3, and says that this is the new style.

Squire

Banned
Well, his characters have been getting more... I don't want to say attractive, because that doesn't seem like the right word, but his female characters post-P4 have gotten more curvy, and he's started giving everyone these really long eyelashes and whatnot. If you compare, say, FeMC to Chie, it's immediately noticeable. I think it will carry on in that direction.

I'm also expecting mega stylish designs. Again, post-P4 it seemed like a conscious decision.

I think Catherine might be like that because sexuality is such a strong theme in it.

But yeah, it's totally gonna be stylish.

Dantis

I've never seen Kaneko do a perspective piece like that. To me that's the picture that defines Persona 3, and says that this is the new style.

Sure, but there's only one other Soejima perspective piece that I can think of (The glorious Append cover). The way he colours, the way he draws his characters etc (Particularly the faces) are mega Kaneko 'inspired'. The composition is even the same as Kaneko, where it's drawn over a sketch, leaving the lines deliberately visible.

I think Catherine might be like that because sexuality is such a strong theme in it.

But yeah, it's totally gonna be stylish.

It applies to his Persona stuff too. He's stopped using Kaneko style lashes and body shapes and started using something more realistic.

PK Gaming

Confession time: I'm not too big on Kaneko's art style. It works in some cases (Raidou) but usually, he makes his characters look really glossy and weird looking. I hate to be "that guy" but its really apparent when you compare Persona 2 character art to Persona 2 IS. I love Soejima's new style though, so vibrant and colorful.

(uses trafuri)

Dantis

Confession time: I'm not too big on Kaneko's art style. It works in some cases (Raidou) but usually, he makes his characters look really glossy and weird looking. I hate to be "that guy" but its really apparent when you compare Persona 2 character art to Persona 2 IS. I love Soejima's new style though, so vibrant and colorful.

(uses trafuri)

How is this anything other than amazing?

cj_iwakura

His creativity was definitely at an apex with DDS. My favorite design of his will always be Yuko Takao's.

Lucifer/Cypher is top shelf too.

cjkeats

Kaneko's style is weird and that's what I love about it. I remember seeing the cover to P2 and just being intrigued by how unique it looked.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm "good" at photoshop.
ytXeG4q.png

Teehee, you took my awful attempt at making a transparent image and plopped it on there.

You can tell it's bad because you can see all the little artifacts around it.

Mostly because I am lazy and you can't tell they are there on light backgrounds.

Although, it still looks better than having Ken in the photo.

cjkeats

Teehee, you took my awful attempt at making a transparent image and plopped it on there.

You can tell it's bad because you can see all the little artifacts around it.

Mostly because I am lazy and you can't tell they are there on light backgrounds.

Although, it still looks better than having Ken in the photo.

What I do is just use the wand in Photoshop to select around the parts I want, then cut it all out, then select the leftover part I want, and paste it into an empty canvas.

But again, I'm no expert. No one notices anyways because it get's shrunk down.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What I do is just use the wand in Photoshop to select around the parts I want, then cut it all out, then select the leftover part I want, and paste it into an empty canvas.

But again, I'm no expert. No one notices anyways because it get's shrunk down.

Pretty much what I do, lol.

But I like to make mine more visible.

Sophia

B-b-b-b-but Maki!

I didn't say I outright hated them. :p

His Lucifier design is badass, as are the human designs in Nocturne. Yet I don't care at all for his stuff in DDS for example.

Demons are his calling. His people look like vampires. (Only a negative if you consider it one though.)

Well not always. His designs from Nocturne don't really look like vampires, they're pretty stylized.

Dantis

I didn't say I outright hated them. :p

His Lucifier design is badass, as are the human designs in Nocturne. Yet I don't care at all for his stuff in DDS for example.

...Come again? :/

One criticism I'd put against Kaneko is that a lot of his characters look way, way too similar. Soejima's all have unique faces, but a lot of Kaneko's are the same with different hair.

Sophia

You both sicken me.

Excuse me if I prefer my characters to not look like hideous monster vampires.

I haven't played it, but his stuff in Raidou Kuzunoha is good however.

Sure, not always. I wouldn't say it about the P2 cast either.

The DDS crew and Raidou in particular are full-on Twilight though.

I think his DDS stuff is the most otherworldly. I just feel a disconnect form it and the characters. :\

Kaneko's characters always look touched by the Other, (culminating in the Demi-Fiend's marks of The Beast). Even with P2's and Raidoh 1's more down-to-earth characters, there's this unearthliness about them that makes the jump from the mundane and the fantastical possible.

Then there's the brilliance of his Maken X & beyond work, which translates to a cheap, low-horsepower 3D graphics engine smoothly and deftly with blocks of matte color, whereas less or more detail would throw things off and look cheap. Bonus points: also makes it wierd and alien!

I think his DDS stuff is the most otherworldly. I just feel a disconnect form it and the characters. :\

Which is funny, with as how inhuman them, the narrative, and the place is, they were EXTREMELY fleshed out for most RPGs. Again, that bridge between the mundane and the fantastical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom