• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

No you really couldn't. Labrys was already in the setting long before Persona 4 Arena.

On the other hand, you can practically ignore Marie in Persona 4 Golden, and not maxing her social link out
results in her literally being written out from the story.

Labrys is a character who was added in after the fact, no matter how you spin it. I don't think either fit elegantly into the fiction, just to be clear.

Sophia

Labrys is a character who was added in after the fact, no matter how you spin it. I don't think either fit elegantly into the fiction, just to be clear.

According to Wikipedia, the Drama CD in which Labrys first appeared was May 25, 2007. That's not after the fact. =p

I really hate the fact that Daylight and Moonlight are not a part of the game proper, btw. They add so much to the story, and foreshadow the plot in The Answer. :(

Kazzy

According to Wikipedia, the Drama CD in which Labrys first appeared was 2007. That's not after the fact. =p

I'm aware of this, and I don't think that constitutes a character as being "long-established". My main point is that she still feels conspicuous in her inclusion, as does Marie, to be fair.

I feel the reasons people often cite for disliking them are completely understandable.

Sophia

I'm aware of this, and I don't think that constitutes a character as being "long-established". My main point is that she still feels conspicuous in her inclusion, as does Marie, to be fair.

I feel the reasons people often cite for disliking them are completely understandable.

You won't see any compromises by me on this, more so after that god-awful scene you get if you don't max Marie's social link. That was just bad. Inexcusable even.

Atlus has a record for putting stuff for future installments in earlier games btw. Persona 1 has lots of foreshadowing for Persona 2 and Persona 3. Labrys being mentioned in the drama CD is proof that they intended to use her plot later. They probably didn't know at the time when they wrote it that it would be in a fighting game tho.

Kazzy

Atlus has a record for putting stuff for future installments in earlier games btw. Persona 1 has lots of foreshadowing for Persona 2 and Persona 3. Labrys being mentioned in the drama CD is proof that they intended to use her plot later. They probably didn't know at the time when they wrote it that it would be in a fighting game tho.

Oh yeah, it's just that I found it peculiar to criticize Marie for the same thing that applies to Labrys, and then disregard that fact. Even if a character is foreshadowed in some fashion, it doesn't automatically validate them for me, which I feel is the crux of the matter.

I don't think any amount of foresight can disguise what are ultimately, superfluous characters.

Sophia

Oh yeah, it's just that I found it peculiar to criticize Marie for the same thing that applies to Labrys, and then disregard that fact. Even if a character is foreshadowed in some fashion, it doesn't automatically validate them for me, which I feel is the problem here.

I don't think any amount of foresight can disguise what are ultimately, superfluous characters.

Therein lies what I'm saying: The same thing doesn't apply to Labrys. You can dislike her, but you can't really say she was added in "after the fact.", or that she adds very little to the story. I mean for crying out loud Marie
writes herself out of the goddamn story if you don't max her social link.
That is superfluous. That is added in after the fact.

Labrys is a character who previously appeared in a side-story and was given a spinoff game to tell her story. Marie is a character who was thrown into an already established story like a bad fanfiction and not only fails to add anything to the story, but actively hurts it.

Kazzy

Therein lies what I'm saying: The same thing doesn't apply to Labrys. You can dislike her, but you can't really say she was added in "after the fact.", or that she adds very little to the story.

Labrys is a character who previously appeared in a side-story and was given a spinoff game to tell her story. Marie is a character who was thrown into an already established story like a bad fanfiction and not only fails to add anything to the story, but actively hurts it.

And what I'm saying is that doesn't automatically give her any sort of credence to be better. Labrys is thrown into an already established fiction too.

Sophia

And what I'm saying is that doesn't automatically give her any sort of credence to be better. Labrys is thrown into an already established fiction too.

*facepalm*

I give up. Aigis's sisters were long established in vanilla Persona 3, and Labrys in Persona 3 FES/Drama CDs. If you can't see the difference between an already established plot point and a badly written fan-fiction character who was just added in because of the death of Igor's actor then I dunno what to tell you. :\

I freely admit I'm biased. Getting Marie to Rank 9 only to realize you don't get a chance in January to max her social link and therefore making me redo a significant portion of the game really peeved me off. It'd be like if Persona 4 Arena had a bad ending where
Labrys blows herself up and is suddenly gone from everyone's memory and the whole events of the game didn't happen.

Kazzy

*facepalm*

I give up. Aigis's sisters were long established in vanilla Persona 3, and Labrys in Persona 3 FES/Drama CDs. If you can't see the difference between an already established plot point and a badly written fan-fiction character who was just added in because of the death of Igor's actor then I dunno what to tell you. :\

Again, I'm not saying the characters are one and the same, just that they both exist precariously around the edges of an established fiction. Yes, the sisters were already a thing previously, but as a part of back-story, not as fully-fledged characters (barring Aigis). To use that as the basis to automatically give a tenuous link to a character shouldn't give them precedence.

Though this varies to an extent, I still think that it is reasonable to resent them for the way they force themselves over the fiction. I professed some endearment towards Marie, but I can't deny she is contrived in her placement and prominence, and I feel the same applies for Labrys too. Even is she exists as part of some side-note in the pocket of spin-off media previously, her transition during Arena still feels jarring and uncomfortable. But that also stands as part of a larger criticism of that games story.

Sophia

Again, I'm not saying the characters are one and the same, just that they both exist precariously around the edges of an established fiction. Yes, the sisters were already a thing previously, but as a part of back-story, not as fully-fledged characters (barring Aigis). To use that as the basis to automatically give a tenuous link to a new character shouldn't give them precedence.

Though this varies to an extent, I still think that it is wholly reasonable to resent them for the way they force themselves over the fiction. I professed some endearment towards Marie, but I can't deny she is contrived in her placement and prominence, and I feel the same applies for Labrys too. Even is she exists as part of some side-note in the pocket of spin-off media previously, her transition during Arena still feels jarring and uncomfortable. But that also exists as a larger criticism of that games story.

The "transition" is a side effect of Arena following the usual Arc System Works story mode style, and not really because of Labrys. Granted, having the two P3 Drama CDs (Daylight and Moonlight) a part of the game proper would have helped.

And it's nothing compared to Marie and the scene you get if you fail to max her social link. That was unbelievably bad writing.
"Okay you fucked up so I'm writing myself out of the story with no forewarning what so ever that I'd do this. Bye!"

I felt so insulted after that I actually wanted to snap the game in half and not play it again. I still haven't done much with my New Game Plus save on Persona 4 Golden. It's right before Kanji's dungeon, but I'm still too pissed. That, and I'm playing Persona 3 Portable now anyhow. :p

Omikaru

Amazon have released the cover art for P4 Anime (European edition) part 2/3.

81qc2VeWSHL._AA1500_.jpg

Not as neat as part 1's box art, but still cool.

Part 2 is up for pre-order too, by the way. £20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A9YBW6S/

Trigger

Given his love of the occult it's funny how little impact Edogawa has in P3. He doesn't seem aware of the actual demons and gods in the world.

Dantis

SHUTUPYOUSTUPIDJERKIHATEYOU!

Seriously though, she's the worst. Having to put up with her shitty character development, shitty social link and dreadful poetry only to unlock a shitty dungeon was only worthwhile because the P4G epilogue was so good.

Beyond that she's a terrible character and I hope we never see her again.

S Link Rank up!

And depending on your preference, you could say much of the same for Labrys.

Agree entirely. My understanding is that she's mentioned offhand in the Drama CD. That doesn't indicate anything to me, unless it goes into higher detail than just "There's another robot and she's called Labrys". If it says "There's a robot with no friends called Labrys. She has a green ponytail, red eyes and a silly accent" then I'd consider it pre-established.

I'd expect that it doesn't.

Sophia

Agree entirely. My understanding is that she's mentioned offhand in the Drama CD. That doesn't indicate anything to me, unless it goes into higher detail than just "There's another robot and she's called Labrys". If it says "There's a robot with no friends called Labrys. She has a green ponytail, red eyes and a silly accent" then I'd consider it pre-established.

I'd expect that it doesn't.

Well... three out of four? Kinda, anyhow. :p

Sophia

Really? Care to elaborate?

P3 Moonlight Drama CD Spoilerz. Also potential spoilers for P3 in general.

The red eyes and accent were established as a feature of Labrys/the 5th gen units due to the girl they were based upon in the drama CD. Notice how Metis has the same eyes? The no friends part isn't really established about Labrys herself, but it's clear the girl she was based upon doesn't really have any friends; She even cites Aigis as her first friend.

The whole drama CD is really good honestly; It foreshadows the fact that SEES is going to lock themselves in the dorms in The Answer, establishes that Aigis has a developing ego, and adds some details about the other anti-shadow weapons.

Sophia

There are translations out there if you can obtain the CDs now. Daylight is largely just sidestories outside of the first/last track, but Moonlight is pretty story heavy. I'm rather surprised it wasn't included in the game itself, seeing as it's all apparently canonical according to The Answer/P4A.

Some other details from Moonlight:
-Everyone is trapped in the dorms during the event of the drama CD, which occurs near the of the game like a week before the final battle. The doors to their rooms aren't malfunctioning or anything, but they can't open them regardless.
-Koromaru and the MC are trapped in the MC's room. Yukari and Mitsuru are trapped in Mitsuru's room. Akihiko and Junpei are hilariously trapped in.... Shinjiro's room I think? Something like that. Fuuka and Ken are in their respective rooms, as is Aigis.
-The Mysterious Girl apparently communicates to Aigis through the internet, which is consistent with what she says to Yosuke in P4A. Apparently she can get the internet in the Midnight channel somehow...
-Aigis's ego is shown developing throughout both drama CDs. It is commented by the girl that at the rate Aigis is going out she may really become human someday.
-Aigis apparently has a function to remove classified information in case of a self-identity conflict, similar to Labrys, which is why the girl in question doesn't reveal her real name. It seems this device is failing or something tho, because Aigis remembers her in Moonlight.
-The girl can't move, and she's largely hospital bound. Same thing that was in P4A.
-Aigis gets a key at the end that only she can see, and not the girl. It seems to unlock the doors.

Dantis

So I clicked on the Giant Bomb thread by accident yesterday and saw this:

VM2Zk6Ql.jpg

The art isn't very much like Soejima's outside of the shading, but I still think that the concept is really, really cool.

Dantis

To be honest, as a character, I actually like Labrys. She's not deep and she's a bit cliche, but she's still a Persona character, so she's somewhat interesting.

It's her design and silly back story that I don't like.

As for Marie, I like her design, but absolutely hate the character. Elizabeth was deliberately stilted, and in a world of believable characters, her lack of personality made her interesting. Marie on the other hand is just a walking cliche.

Squire

Banned
So I clicked on the Giant Bomb thread by accident yesterday and saw this:

VM2Zk6Ql.jpg

The art isn't very much like Soejima's outside of the shading, but I still think that the concept is really, really cool.

The GB crew really respects Persona. I already loved them prior, but after playing P4G and watching some of their run, you could say say I felt closer to them.

But her cute accent! D:

It's a saving grace, that accent.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's one of Labby's openers. ;)

I guess on a somewhat related note, here are some interesting/funny lines I had noted that I heard in P4A's Sound Test (many of which aren't in the actual game other than there):

Shadow Labrys
  • Type A #74: "Reverse Persona!"
  • Type B #74: "Persona!"
Elizabeth
  • Type A #114: "This is quite different from scolding my foolish brother."
  • Type A #115: "This is nothing compared to my sister."
  • Type A #116: "This is for him."
Yu
  • Type A #78 and #79: "Izanagi-no-Okami" (Same for Type B)
Yosuke
  • Type A #78 and #79: "Susano-o" (Same for Type B)
Akhiko
  • Type A #76 and #77: "Polydeuces" (Same for Type B)
Mitsuru
  • Type A #76 and #77: "Penthesilea" (Same for Type B)

Naoto, Kanji, Yukiko, Chie and Teddie also call out their evolved Personas around the same spot in Sound Test even though they're never mentioned in the game anywhere. Along with Akihiko and Mitsuru, Aigis also calls out "Palladion!" at #76 and #77 even though, again, it's never mentioned in the game.

I thought it was interesting to see that the evolved and pre-evolved forms of the cast's Persona were considered in the game. For Shadow Labrys, Asterius is never described as a "Persona" and she never calls him out as such, either (or as a "Reverse Persona", term pretty much just used in P2).

FluxWaveZ

DLC confirmed then? It'd be wierd to have that voice clips there without any purpose. Or is it from P4G?

Those voice clips are done in a way that makes it obvious they were for use for attacks/moves in the fighting game (they're not from P4 or P4G, too). Though, I definitely do not think it suggests possible DLC; they're probably just unused voice clips and they'll remain as such.

Dantis

DLC confirmed then? It'd be wierd to have that voice clips there without any purpose. Or is it from P4G?

Also on topic. Here's five minutes of nothing but Labrys's voice. Surely the soundtrack to Dantis's nightmares.

Some of these lines are so bad. Everything about Arena seems so strange to me. So does everyone's reaction to it. When it was released, everybody was saying "This game is such a Persona game! :O".

I'm not seeing it.

FluxWaveZ

It seemed like they became good friends with Aram, if anything. Geoff says he's got no interest in pre-P3 material though.

He said that a short while after the ER when people asked him if he would be interested in playing P3 after P4 or if he'd want to play a P5 with a new cast. I believe his position on that changed, according to the Bombcast, when he started talking about how interesting it was to see the P3 and P4 cast interact with each other in P4A.

Edit: Ah, sorry, never mind. I see that you were talking about P1 and P2. Now I'm off to watch their Quick Look of P1...

Jeff Gerstmann did finish the original Persona and reviewed it for GameSpot back in 1997, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom