• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Persona resonance was a thing and they removed it in p3 only to randomly add it back as the reason for p4a Mitsuru's outfit?

If p4 had Persona resonance, it would have been over in 20 minutes
Remember when persona users could actually summon their personas without faking suicide or going inside a TV? I hope p5 ditches that bullshit.

FluxWaveZ

No, I like the faking Suicide.

Evokers are the best. They are the reason I became interested in the series.

There was Evoker talk before, but my appreciation for them has increased after re-reading the P3 art book interview:

Hashino: I think a lot of young people have noted the reality of death once or twice, but they probably didn't treat it as much more than a passing thought. For example, when someone recognizes that their greatest weakness is their tendency to procrastinate, they might take a few moments one night to feel bad about it and say, "I'm going to stop procrastinating!" Which is great, but more often than not they'll forget that resolution by the next morning. Then, they realize they're procrastinating again, and they'll give themselves a little slap on the wrist or something. Sometimes, people need some kind of external symbol to act as a reminder of their conviction. You often see that sort of thing with businessmen who keep Post-its with a proverb or words of encouragement stuck to their computer monitor at work. Instead of having our characters simply say, "Oh, I can totally summon a Persona! Yay, come on out, Persona!" we wanted to give them an external stimulus that would remind them of the seriousness of the decision that they have made, and test their resolve every single time. I suppose that didn't have to come in the form of a gun, but... what can I say? Soejima lilkes guns.

I don't understand this complaint. Why in the world does it matter?
Because in p3 the evokers made absolutely no sense (although they looked cool) from a story perspective. I'm also not sure if the p4 crew can summon personas outside the TV but I think a poster earlier hinted that they probably could. IRC all persona users are pretty much the same from a story perspective and it makes no sense that some can just summon personas without any additional BS. This especially needs to be fixed if atlus is really linking all the persona stories together.

FluxWaveZ

IRC all persona users are pretty much the same from a story perspective and it makes no sense that some can just summon personas without any additional BS. This especially needs to be fixed if atlus is really linking all the persona stories together.

Nope. Philemon granted the power of Persona to the P1 and P2 crew when they played the "Persona" summoning game. Persona 3 crew got it from "having the potential" and then releasing it with an Evoker. Persona 4 crew got it by affirming their convictions and successfully accepting their Shadow.

I'm watching the Catherine cutscenes right now and this game is just so amazing. But goddamn, I just cannot play the puzzle parts. They are infuriating. This game with a different style of night-gameplay would have been my game of the generation. Imagine this had press-turn combat...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm watching the Catherine cutscenes right now and this game is just so amazing. But goddamn, I just cannot play the puzzle parts. They are infuriating. This game with a different style of night-gameplay would have been my game of the generation. Imagine this had press-turn combat...

Have you tried it on Easy or Very Easy?

Though at that point, you might as well just watch the cutscenes, it's pretty dammed easy. I was able to get through it on normal.

Dantis

You're probably over-thinking it. Watch the Inazuma trick, and be amazed as you blast through the game.

Noi

You're probably over-thinking it. Watch the Inazuma trick, and be amazed as you blast through the game.

I still haven't been taught that technique, but simply being more aware of the Spider technique has made it a LOT easier. Went right back to Stage 3 and gold award'd that sucker today.

Dantis

The what?

I still haven't been taught that technique, but simply being more aware of the Spider technique has made it a LOT easier. Went right back to Stage 3 and gold award'd that sucker today.

Best technique on the game. I was loving Catherine before I saw Inazuma (It's really late on, as I recall, which is kind of dumb), and then I did and suddenly I was a climbing machine.

I need to play through Catherine again some time soon. I think I've been through something like four times now? Love it.

You, really? Why do you think that?

I think it is highly possible that it will take a direction I do not appreciate.

Man, I'll be seriously depressed if it carries on down Arena's route.

Noi

I think it is highly possible that it will take a direction I do not appreciate.

I will avatar bet you that a robot is part of the main cast again.

COME ON.

Squire

Banned

I'm not worried. P4 and the stuff you didn't like in P4G is there because its coming from a game that's proven itself.

P5 will be all new. There's nothing to bank on and no fan service to provide beyond references to past titles which we know they're not to heavy-handed with. It'll be fine.

Dantis

Haven't played Arena, but what's wrong with it, Dantis?

Not to be over-dramatic, but it tore out my heart and shat on it.

I will avatar bet you that a robot is part of the main cast again.

COME ON.

Mmmm... Dunno.

I mean, a robot is possible.

I'm not worried. P4 and the stuff you didn't like in P4G is there because its coming from a game that's proven itself.

P5 will be all new. There's nothing to bank on and no fan service to provide beyond references to past titles which we know they're not to heavy-handed with. It'll be fine.

I really hope that you're right.

Oh, I don't even have the game of Catherine. I just played the demo and it was not my cup of tea. I'll be okay watching the cutscenes I think. But if it's ever 20$ on PSN sale again, I'll pick it up.

Dantis

I agree. It's about as eventful and relevant as a Drama CD. What concerns me is the potential it has to influence future games.

Jintor

Because in p3 the evokers made absolutely no sense (although they looked cool) from a story perspective. I'm also not sure if the p4 crew can summon personas outside the TV but I think a poster earlier hinted that they probably could. IRC all persona users are pretty much the same from a story perspective and it makes no sense that some can just summon personas without any additional BS. This especially needs to be fixed if atlus is really linking all the persona stories together.

Like I said before it sounds more like they just never really tried outside the TV, it's not so much a case of being able to/not being able to.

That said there's still a lot of bullshit about the TV world we haven't figured out. The
fog was obviously related to Izanami, but the world itself appears to persist in form and format even after her defeat. Not only that, but it retains its elemental properties in being affected by a human heart/mind. It's easy to say it's a realm created/affected by human thought and leave it at that, but why has it got the TV motif, or more specifically, why is it accessible through the TVs? Does it have any relation to the Dark Hour? What, basically, is going on?

...I need to play P1 and P2.

Dantis

How do you feel about persona 4 arena-2?

They can do what they want with it as long as it doesn't influence the mainline titles.

Like I said before it sounds more like they just never really tried outside the TV, it's not so much a case of being able to/not being able to.

That said there's still a lot of bullshit about the TV world we haven't figured out. The
fog was obviously related to Izanami, but the world itself appears to persist in form and format even after her defeat. Not only that, but it retains its elemental properties in being affected by a human heart/mind. It's easy to say it's a realm created/affected by human thought and leave it at that, but why has it got the TV motif, or more specifically, why is it accessible through the TVs? Does it have any relation to the Dark Hour? What, basically, is going on?

...I need to play P1 and P2.

I want all this to be left ambiguous. All of it.

EDIT: Just to expand on that - Persona is all about symbolism. Tartarus, Evokers, the Shadow World etc. don't have any inherent logic behind them, they act as symbols for the themes of the games. Anything they write in to justify it with pseudo-logic would be ham-fisted and silly (See: Persona Arena).

Dantis

It's probably my favourite vocal track from P4A.

EDIT: Make that joint favourite with Beauty of Destiny and Sky's The Limit.

Sophia

Hey guys what's going on in this topi...

They can do what they want with it as long as it doesn't influence the mainline titles.

... Oh. Business as usual with Dantis then? I'll just go take my spot in the "Arena will probably be connected to P5" camp. :p

cj_iwakura

Have you tried it on Easy or Very Easy?

Though at that point, you might as well just watch the cutscenes, it's pretty dammed easy. I was able to get through it on normal.

Once you master Catherine, it's a divine experience, and I wouldn't have the gameplay be any other kind.

I've beaten it on Hard, as well as all the optional stages.

FluxWaveZ

If we're gearing up for an eventual PersonaGAF civil war, I'll take the side that believes Persona 5 will not be related to Persona 4 Arena.

I'm in the "P5 better be an original game. I swear to god, Atlus don't fuck this up." camp.

I'd like to see the P4A story continue though. If not in another fighter, then in an RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom