• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw nuts, I may as well post something that's been eating me inside for the longest time.

I'm really disappointed in Persona PSP when it comes to the sound department. I don't mean just the music, but the sound effects as well. I do like the new stuff that Meguro put in the PSP version, but I would've killed to see him remix the entire OST, especially Awakening Legend and Deadline. He's got talent and I know he would've done a good job. I also really miss the dynamic battle themes they had in there. That feeling when you press "Fight" in the beginning of a boss battle and the music goes full swing is just so exhilarating. The endings of the song were satisfying too, especially Tesso's.

I think what I'm more disappointed with is Atlus's decision to half-ass the sound effects. There are quite a bit of sound effects missing, like Tesso's mechanical sounds when he casts a spell, the Waltz of Sadness music being completely gone, or the hula dance music those Gremlins did off the top of my head. The hula music they used in Persona PSP is a really bad replacement to me. The replaced sound effects they used in Persona PSP lacked the oomph the original had, and the enemies that are now mute look really weird when they're casting something and nothing comes out of their mouth. I think I'm just really nitpicking in this department because those sound effects added life to battle and it even made some of the enemies stand out, especially the hula-dancing Gremlins. If there were a Persona 1 HD, I'd want them to add the sound effects that were in the original game.

And that's all I have to say. It's not well thought out, nitpicky and whiny, but I'm glad I finally got it out. I'll leave now. <_>

you forgot that sound when Nanjo reloads his gun, and I totally agree with you, you understand how I feel about P1P in the sound department perfectly.

The moves are mostly nothing to do with Persona and the HUD is vile.

EDIT: I shouldn't start this again. My bad!

I don't understand the first complaint. Just about every Persona move and super in the game is taken directly from P3 and 4, with some even being tweaked in the NA/EU version to be more like techniques from the RPGs (i.e. one of Elizabeth's Fear-based supers becoming "Ghastly Wail" instead of "Memento Mori").

The second compaint is 100% subjective and thus not the fault of the game. I personally think the HUD looks fine; it's clutter-free and easy to understand.

Uncle AJ

I'm pretty happy with the balance in P4A overall, at least compared to other recent fighters. Some characters have too many things going for them compared to how few drawbacks they have and should be rightfully toned down, but I do feel every character has a fair shot of winning any matchup in its current state.

The strength of Chie and Narukami's okizeme games has a lot to do with the All-Out Attack causing that untechable groundbounce spinning state on airborne opponents. That state was intentional on Arc's part, but they probably didn't anticipate how much it would see use as a combo ender to help with the effectiveness of Chie's oki, so I could stand to see that removed on account of developer intentions. Obvious stuff like the SMP loop glitch and the instant Skull Cracker glitch should also go.

On the non-glitch side, PLEASE remove the air-unblockable property from Mitsuru's Bufudyne. As if she doesn't already have solid anti-air options, but now she also has this tool for setting up resets into massive damage in nearly-inescapable corner situations.

I'd also like to see more reward for successfully pulling off the more advanced techniques, like more meter gain and less block stun for Instant Blocking, and a character being in Counter-Hit state after using Blue Burst (so you can properly punish them for baiting their Burst).

Speed up Labrys' R-Action, give Elizabeth a real guard cancel, a real anti-air and small damage boost for Yukiko... all kinds of stuff. Oh and take away super cancelling for R-actions. Blocking/baiting an R-action should come with appropriate reward, not risk of being punished even harder by a Scumbag Super (tm).

I also get what Dantis means about some of the attacks "having nothing to do wtih Persona." Some stuff feels like Arc just pulled them out of left field for the sake of making a certain fighting game character archetype. Or they just ran out of ideas and went "Uh, Naoto shoots people I guess? Let's give her a shotgun as a super." Yeah sure, 16-year-old girl with no physical build toting a fucking 12-gauge, that makes sense.

Sophia

Naoto has an SMG or whatever it was in P4G, so her moves aren't that out of place. The only abilities that striked me as being out of place were some of the instant kills. Mainly, Akihiko's, Aigis's, and Yukiko's, where it just seems like they pulled stuff out of nowhere for them.

Dantis

I don't understand the first complaint. Just about every Persona move and super in the game is taken directly from P3 and 4, with some even being tweaked in the NA/EU version to be more like techniques from the RPGs (i.e. one of Elizabeth's Fear-based supers becoming "Ghastly Wail" instead of "Memento Mori").

Not really. Some are pulled from the game, some have names from the game but aren't really the same, and an awful lot have nothing to do with the game whatsoever.

I also get what Dantis means about some of the attacks "having nothing to do wtih Persona." Some stuff feels like Arc just pulled them out of left field for the sake of making a certain fighting game character archetype. Or they just ran out of ideas and went "Uh, Naoto shoots people I guess? Let's give her a shotgun as a super." Yeah sure, 16-year-old girl with no physical build toting a fucking 12-gauge, that makes sense.

Indeed.

Naoto has an SMG or whatever it was in P4G, so her moves aren't that out of place. The only abilities that striked me as being out of place were some of the instant kills. Mainly, Akihiko's, Aigis's, and Yukiko's, where it just seems like they pulled stuff out of nowhere for them.

If it makes you feel better, I thought that was dumb too.

Sophia

Not really. Some are pulled from the game, some have names from the game but aren't really the same, and an awful lot have nothing to do with the game whatsoever.

Aigis kinda stands out in this regard. None of her abilities are from the game. Not that this is a bad thing mind you, Megido Fire is awesome and I hope it's in the P3 movie. :3

PK Gaming

Woah, woah, woah!

I get that some of the movesets could be better, but you're going to call the game out for giving Naoto a shotgun?

Guys, we play Persona. We've pretty much reached the point at which where we must give up all skeptisism, and just accept what happens in that universe for what it is. Keep in mind, this is the same universe where a character thought it was a good idea to bring 2 weapons to a mall (Persona 4), the same universe where a kid keeps 2 firearms on him (Persona 2), and basically the same universe where an untrained teenager can use deadly weapons efficiently.

Naoto wielding a shotgun is perfectly within the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Yeah, Chie's follow up attack speaks for itself lol.

Dantis

Woah, woah, woah!

I get that some of the movesets could be better, but you're going to call the game out for giving Naoto a shotgun?

Guys, we play Persona. We've pretty much reached the point at which where we must give up all skeptisism, and just accept what happens in that universe for what it is. Keep in mind, this is the same universe where a character thought it was a good idea to bring 2 weapons to a mall (Persona 4), the same universe where a kid keeps 2 guns on him (Persona 2), and basically the same universe where an untrained teenager can use deadly weapons efficiently.

Naoto wielding a shotgun is perfectly within the realm of possibility.

EDIT: Yeah, Chie's follow up attack speaks for itself lol.

Well, it's all about suspension of disbelief. When I'm playing Persona 4 I don't think for a second that the Chie in the S Link is actually running around kicking shadows into space.

So you could say the same for Arena. My personal opinion though, is that they should stick to the limits that the original game set in place. Naoto uses a handgun in P4? Fine, she can use a handgun. My problem is less that she doesn't have the skills/strength to fire a shotgun and more that Naoto with a shotgun is just kind of nothing. Same with Akihiko's firey punch and Kanji's brofist. They're not remotely representative of the characters in any way.

They'll never make a version of P4A that Dantis likes since he's categorically decided he does not and will not.

Your reasoning is wrong but your statement is correct. ;)

Aigis kinda stands out in this regard. None of her abilities are from the game. Not that this is a bad thing mind you, Megido Fire is awesome and I hope it's in the P3 movie. :3
They figured out how to install hammerspace in her latest upgrade. Plus there's also Teddie and his trap thingies. I dunno, personally I can overlook these things, I figured it's supposed to be a bit bonkers, especially instant kills.

chie kicks people into the stratosphere so i'm not sure that's a valid complaint re: naoto in p4a
Even better, she can kick tanks into the stratosphere.

Uncle AJ

Chie and Teddie also don't utilize any ice skills outside of the Dry Ice item for Teddie. Mitsuru and Elizabeth get to be the only ice characters because...? We've already got 4 characters using electricity in their attacks so why not.

Obviously there is a lot of stuff that are direct callouts to techniques the characters used in the RPGs - Chie's IK being Galactic Punt makes 100% sense, Sukukaja to make Yosuke a speed demon is great, Kanji's chair super is his critical hit animation, Teddie's corkscrew attack is his critical hit animation, etc. - and I appreciate all of that, but they left more than a few inconsistencies too.

Sophia

Well, it's all about suspension of disbelief. When I'm playing Persona 4 I don't think for a second that the Chie in the S Link is actually running around kicking shadows into space.

And in battle when she does it regularly?

I feel like Chie's abilities are by far adopted the best of any character, actually. Everything she can do in P4A she can do in Persona 4 itself.

Chie and Teddie also don't utilize any ice skills outside of the Dry Ice item for Teddie. Mitsuru and Elizabeth get to be the only ice characters because...? We've already got 4 characters using electricity in their attacks so why not.

Chie not using Ice attacks is fine. After all, some players ditch the ice abilities entirely. Teddie however is a standout example of having none of the abilities from the game, for better or worse.

Is there a reason why the P4 lot only have their first level personas? Like Jiraiya instead of Susanoo?

If you go to the sound test, they all have voice clips of them calling out the names of their Awakened Personae. That means they were probably planned at some point, but then dummied out before the game launched. It would've been a lot cooler, TBH.

PK Gaming

no he reverses them because he's a jerk

5DfZsS4.jpg

you've made your point

PK Gaming

It's funny because throughout the anime, Yu constantly hits on all of the girls (except maybe apple) but he never makes any overt moves.

FluxWaveZ

The P4A manga: I didn't know this was the Aigis manga

I was surprised that that part isn't even in the first volume. Looks brutal on the last page when Take-Mikazuchi squeezes the life out of her with electricity and she just shows robotic, dead eyes.

And they went full on fanservice or something with the beginning of Chie vs. Yosuke where Chie literally removes her jacket to reveal her cleavage to him.

PK Gaming

I was surprised that that part isn't even in the first volume. Looks brutal on the last page when Take-Mikazuchi squeezes the life out of her with electricity and she just shows robotic, dead eyes.

And they went full on fanservice or something with the beginning of Chie vs. Yosuke where Chie literally removes her jacket to reveal her cleavage to him.

images

Levito

Banned
E3 in and of itself is off topic guys, we just got yelled at the other day for not talking about Persona.

On topic: Persona games at 5? hahaha yeah right.

Astra

I pre-ordered The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and Tales of Xillia all for $40 each through the Futureshop E3 promotion. Now if only Persona 5 was announced and put up for pre-order, I could have gotten that too.

Astra

Nice hall though, still.

I could go nuts with the pre-ordering with everything that is coming out. You have to order 3 to get the discount, so with 3 on console, I was thinking about getting three more for handhelds. Maybe Dragon's Crown, Tearaway and SMTIV. $27 for the first two, and SMTIV down to $33. I said I wouldn't pay $50 for a handheld game, but I'll pay $33.

Squire

Banned
I could go nuts with the pre-ordering with everything that is coming out. You have to order 3 to get the discount, so with 3 on console, I was thinking about getting three more for handhelds. Maybe Dragon's Crown, Tearaway and SMTIV. $27 for the first two, and SMTIV down to $33. I said I wouldn't pay $50 for a handheld game, but I'll pay $33.

That sounds like a good plan.

I wish we had a deal like that in the states, considering everything I know I'm gonna buy in the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom