• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

Yeah, it'd be excellent. The majority of us would buy it, too. I really believe that.

I'd be there day 1. That would make the original P3, FES, P3P, and Vita. Luckily I am not a complete sucker, and have not bought the PSN release. No need with PCSX2.

Astra

If they bring us P3V, I will happily give them $40!
Also P5, and I'll happily give them $60. Maybe more, depending on what they have for a CE.

So I finished my New Game + run in Persona 3 Portable last night, and here are my (very spoilerific) final thoughts on the matter.

So I was not aware that starting a New Game + would carry over just about everything, including my level. Had I known that I would have went with Hard or higher in difficulty, because for the first 2/3's of the game it was nearly a total curbstomp on everything. It did start to get a little more tough in the 4th block of Tartarus so it wasn't a total loss in that aspect.

Social links I did and my brief thoughts:

Kenji: Kinda mediocre. Not the worst but eh. Oh look at me, I love my teacher, and she loves me just because of tutoring ermahgerd
Hidetoshi: Okay. Not great, but not bad either.
Kazushi: Pretty good. He went pretty damn far in trying to hide his injury because of the promise he made. Pretty gutsy.
"Maya": I feel kinda meh on this one, mainly because I never got to trigger the reveal to it. Like, you pretty much know that it's your teacher, but supposedly there's an actual event you can do to trigger her talking about it in school. Never found out how to do that.
Noizomi: Just plain bad. Eat, eat, eat, get beaten up in a back alley, eat, eat.
Tanaka: I wasn't exactly happy about losing 40,000 yen (ALL YO YENS YIP YIP YAP) but I had so much friggin money from my first playthrough anyway so it was just a drop in the bucket. A drop that could have been used for healing, mind you, but eh.
Keisuke: Pretty good link, his conflict of studying abroad vs being a doctor was interesting. Though I swear everyone near this kid gets sick or injured. Fuuka gets a stress headache, 2 or 3 random members get sick or pass out, he runs into you and knocks you unconscious for a little while, and then 2 old people get very sick IN THE SAME EVENT. Maybe this guy's the appriser of the fall, goddamn.
Elizabeth (not a true S Link but I don't care I'm grouping her missions where you take her on dates as a link): Funny as usual, dropping ludicrous amounts of yen in the fountains, her being an outsider not understanding how some things work to rather comedic levels was fun as well.
Mitsuru: I taught her how to eat noodles, a hamburger, and octopus, and wrecked an arranged marriage with an absolute scumbag. Man I'm awesome. Also, there was christmas in the mall. I never heard of a romantic get together in a mall of all places, but it's not like I'm complaining.

A task that I started in my first playthrough was to make Orpheus actually useful. First playthrough I gave him Agidyne, Bufudyne, Zionga, Megidolaon, Auto-Tarukaja, Salvation, Recarm, and Tarunda, and he was at level 60 with some buffed stats leaving him around 70's to 80's for most stats, except a maxed out luck stat. This run I replaced Zionga with Ziodyne, Tarunda with Garudyne, and Auto-Tarukaja with Blade of Fury, and at level 64 with all stats at 99. How's that for some Mass Destruction?

So once it got to the dorm cutscene before the final visit to Tartarus, when they're planning on meeting up again on Graduation day, I got a brief visit from The Feels because I knew what would happen at the end of the game, but at the same time I was looking forward to the finale. Then I went onto the Jin and Takaya fights and took them down with ease. Then of course came the mammoth 13 phase Nyx fight, as awesome as before. To my surprise, no one got charmed at all during the fight, night queen after night queen, other status effects instead. I was relieved because no way in hell did I want Nyx to fully heal itself. I swear if that did happen I was gonna rage so hard and use the Armageddon I bought to just kill it (Seriously, I bought an Armageddon from the antique store just in case someone got charmed and Nyx healed itself. I would have gotten that mad where I would have just nuked the everloving piss out of it.). Then of course came the scripted finale to the fight with the Great Seal, and the feels briefly came back. Then after that and you go back to school and everyone doesn't remember The Dark Hour because you won, that final sequence, the feels came back. Not much of the feels. Then came the ending on the rooftop, and all the feels, man. All the feels.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! Rather than spending your final moments with Aigis, New Game + allows you to spend your last moments with one of the female SEES members that you completed an S Link with. So I spent my last moments with Mitsuru. THEN there were all the feels. Either way it's a sad and happy ending.

So, why the feels? I don't know, but I have a thought. Ever since I first played Persona 3 I kinda saw some of myself in the protagonist. Headphones for isolation from the outside while listening to music being all introverted like that, but at the flip of a switch can easily hang out with others. Meanwhile I like being alone once in a while to just collect thoughts and sometimes listen to some music, while other times I love hanging out with my friends on a frequent basis. So maybe seeing some of how I function in how Makoto is presented could add a little to that. Maybe. I'm not some psychologist so I don't know :p

Sorry for the wall of text, but sharing is caring :)

Squire

Banned
This is the stuff that used to come free with a pre-order. :(

Though Atlus is still pretty good about that stuff.

You're right. They still will, presumably.

So really, I don't know what they could put in other than a figure. Which would be enough for me, really. SE is putting their figures in their CEs now, which is excellent.

Astra

So I finished my New Game + run in Persona 3 Portable last night, and here are my (very spoilerific) final thoughts on the matter.

"Maya": I feel kinda meh on this one, mainly because I never got to trigger the reveal to it. Like, you pretty much know that it's your teacher, but supposedly there's an actual event you can do to trigger her talking about it in school. Never found out how to do that.

A task that I started in my first playthrough was to make Orpheus actually useful. First playthrough I gave him Agidyne, Bufudyne, Zionga, Megidolaon, Auto-Tarukaja, Salvation, Recarm, and Tarunda, and he was at level 60 with some buffed stats leaving him around 70's to 80's for most stats, except a maxed out luck stat. This run I replaced Zionga with Ziodyne, Tarunda with Garudyne, and Auto-Tarukaja with Blade of Fury, and at level 64 with all stats at 99. How's that for some Mass Destruction?

So once it got to the dorm cutscene before the final visit to Tartarus, when they're planning on meeting up again on Graduation day, I got a brief visit from The Feels because I knew what would happen at the end of the game, but at the same time I was looking forward to the finale. Then I went onto the Jin and Takaya fights and took them down with ease. Then of course came the mammoth 13 phase Nyx fight, as awesome as before. To my surprise, no one got charmed at all during the fight, night queen after night queen, other status effects instead. I was relieved because no way in hell did I want Nyx to fully heal itself. I swear if that did happen I was gonna rage so hard and use the Armageddon I bought to just kill it (Seriously, I bought an Armageddon from the antique store just in case someone got charmed and Nyx healed itself. I would have gotten that mad where I would have just nuked the everloving piss out of it.). Then of course came the scripted finale to the fight with the Great Seal, and the feels briefly came back. Then after that and you go back to school and everyone doesn't remember The Dark Hour because you won, that final sequence, the feels came back. Not much of the feels. Then came the ending on the rooftop, and all the feels, man. All the feels.

Sorry for the wall of text, but sharing is caring :)

I think you can get that scene by
visiting the faculty office when you're running around talking to all your S.Links. It's pretty amusing.

I remember making Orpheus in FES, and it was such a pain. Not being able to actually pick your inherited skills was brutal. So Selecting the fusion, see what all he got, and it's not right. Back out, try again. Repeat for a couple hours until all 8 skills were inherited. Maddening!

I hear ya on the feels. It was nothing but for me on the final stretch. It's always an emotional ride for me.

You're right. They still will, presumably.

So really, I don't know what they could put in other than a figure. Which would be enough for me, really. SE is putting their figures in their CEs now, which is excellent.

I don't own a single figurine. I can never bring myself to pay that much for them, so it'd be great if they included one on their CE.

coopolon

This thread gets a lot wierder when you turn on pictures.

Quick question, I just read online that they got rid jealousy in p3p,is that right? I can advance multiple female slinks as male MC at the same time with no penalty?

Just want to make sure before I piss off yuko with chihiro.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This thread gets a lot wierder when you turn on pictures.

Quick question, I just read online that they got rid jealousy in p3p,is that right? I can advance multiple female slinks as male MC at the same time with no penalty?

Just want to make sure before I piss off yuko with chihiro.

Yeah, they got rid of jealousy.

I don't think it mattered once you maxed out the SL though, it only happened if you were still ranking up the SL.

Astra

It's Reggie for today. Come tomorrow I'll change it back so I can have my precious avatar back for one more week before parting with it for two months :'(

It truly is sad. Your avatar humiliation means no P5 announcement.
Hopefully Levito will be kind, but I doubt it!

Also that Reggie is hilarious looking, haha.

I don't think it mattered once you maxed out the SL though, it only happened if you were still ranking up the SL.

Yeah, with the unbreakable bond, you can cheat on your girlfriends all they want and they're cool with it. Polygamy is great.

Persona HD collection wishes:

Persona 1:

Full 3d remake
Full voice acting
Add in NG+
Add in a Persona compendium
Rebalance the Personae (no Gozu-Tennoh, Phaleg early game breaks)
Able to select between both soundtracks
Combat to retain the formation feature but ported to P4 engine
Unlockable outfits and ex dungeon like mode
New scenes to flesh out the characters
Unlockable "Revelations" mode with the R:p character looks and dialog

Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment:

Full 3d remake
Full voice acting
Add NG+ to both games
Add unlockable outfits to both games
Add a Persona Compendium
Rework or remove the Tarot system
Import P4 combat engine but keep turn order mechanics from 2
Rework fusion spells to make them less game breaking
Rebalance Innocent Sin enemies (too weak)
Featuring all the new theater quests dlc we didn't get in ISP
Featuring the Tatsuya Scenarios for Eternal Punishment
Featuring the dungeon creator for both games
Re add in Innocent Sin save import to Eternal Punishment
Rework the Ex Dungeon to be very hard and include party members from both IS and EP

Persona 3:

Hybrid of P3FES and P3P
Option to pick between P3FES One More! System and P3P's
Full cutscenes and world exploration
Both Male and female MC
Add back in fusion spells being tied to Personae and not items
Outfits are now their own slot and there are more of them
P4G fusion mechanics
Add in things to male mc that female has, I.E. Non romantic female routes
Add back in mc being able to wield any weapon
All content added in FES and P3P present (The Answer, Vision Quests, Skill Cards)
Added difficulty settings to The Answer
Female version of The Answer
Party Member movelist reworks for underpowered team mates
P3FES party ai options + defense option

Persona 4:

Mostly an HD version of P4G
Rebalanced to make the P4G additions less game breaking
P3FES party ai options + defense option
More outfits
Add in proper End Game content + bonus bosses
Redo the 2nd to last dungeon to make it less gimmicky and flow more naturally

Anything I am missing? Yes, I know this will never ever happen.

Achievements/Trophies across all games of course, plus slick menu system and behind the scenes material of all the games.

PK Gaming

If they get rid of the terrible tarot card system in favor of Contacts + Fusion, I'd be all for this. D:

Seconding this.

They could come up with some really creative contacts in the next game. Hell, I can come up with some P4 ones on the fly.

Yu: Does a random Magic trick to impress an enemy (Rubber band, cards etc)
Yosuke: Lends his headphones to an enemy, and watches them jam out to it
Chie: Spars with her Persona! (Kung Fu's already been done ;P)
Yukiko: Let's an enemy try her excellent cooking (I'M NOT BEING SARCASTIC, SHE IMPROVES EVENTUALLY)

Man, P4A is really fun once you start to learn the ins and outs of your character, even if my two mains are incredibly scrubby ;P
Absolutely.

Scrafty really leveled up his game, his Kanji and Teddie are scary now. I'm trying to main Yu and Yosuke, but Yosuke is such a demanding character, and he's a major mental drain on me heh. Might drop him for Aigis.

coopolon

Yah, but now you don't have to wait while maxing one slink to start maxing another. I feel like this is going to make it a lot easier.

Thanks!

Omikaru

Persona HD collection wishes:

*list*

Anything I am missing? Yes, I know this will never ever happen.

Achievements/Trophies across all games of course, plus slick menu system and behind the scenes material of all the games.

I'd prefer to keep it simple, really. Just make ports of P1, P2 IS and EP PSP versions, and add trophies. I'd want to keep them as close to the PSP versions as possible, which by and large seem to be fine representations of the originals.

With P3 I'd combine P3P and P3FES into one product. Release it on PS3/PS4 and PSV with cross save functionality. I think this is the most drastic I'd be with any of the games, but that's because P3 doesn't really have a definitive version, and instead has a split between FES and Portable as which is the better one. You don't get that on any of the other games (i.e. questions asking whether I should play P3P or P3FES).

With P4 I'd port Persona 4 Golden as it is on Vita, just up the resolution. Also patch P4G to allow cross save in a similar way that P3 would have.

I think constantly going back and refining the games, changing things, just hurts the product overall. Part of the point of these HD collections isn't a chance to go back to old games and "fix" them, but to bring them up to a visual standard that's acceptable on modern TV aspect ratios and resolutions.

FluxWaveZ

I think I'm pretty much done with playing P4A after losing at Ultimate Montreal Airdashers yesterday since I won't really have the opportunity to play at any local tournament again. Having played 6,000+ matches online and becoming one of the top Shadow Labrys players in terms of PSR was fun, though.

The game was pretty good in terms of balance for a first iteration, but it still has some outstanding problems that hold it back. A second version would really make it shine.

I'd prefer to keep it simple, really. Just make ports of P1, P2 IS and EP PSP versions, and add trophies. I'd want to keep them as close to the PSP versions as possible, which by and large seem to be fine representations of the originals.

With P3 I'd combine P3P and P3FES into one product. Release it on PS3/PS4 and PSV with cross save functionality. I think this is the most drastic I'd be with any of the games, but that's because P3 doesn't really have a definitive version, and instead has a split between FES and Portable as which is the better one. You don't get that on any of the other games (i.e. questions asking whether I should play P3P or P3FES).

With P4 I'd port Persona 4 Golden as it is on Vita, just up the resolution. Also patch P4G to allow cross save in a similar way that P3 would have.

I think constantly going back and refining the games, changing things, just hurts the product overall. Part of the point of these HD collections isn't a chance to go back to old games and "fix" them, but to bring them up to a visual standard that's acceptable on modern TV aspect ratios and resolutions.

For P1P and P2EPP, that i fine, but I would really like them to rebalance P2ISP, it really needs it, badly, or at least revert to the PS1 P2IS balancing at least.

Sophia

I think I'm pretty much done with playing P4A after losing at Ultimate Montreal Airdashers yesterday since I won't really have the opportunity to play at any local tournament again. Having played 6,000+ matches online and becoming one of the top Shadow Labrys players in terms of PSR was fun, though.

The game was pretty good in terms of balance for a first iteration, but it still has some outstanding problems that hold it back. A second version would really make it shine.

I have a feeling we're not getting that second version. All it needs is some minor tweaks to those problems and it'd be a godsend of a game.

And a proper survival mode!

TWILT

Banned

Yeah I definitely agree.

Persona is a solid fighter with plenty of potential IMO, but it really needs a balance patch/another version already to fix balance issues and add more characters to make things more fresh. I feel kinda sad that after Evo, barely anyone (if at all) is going to play the game anymore.

At least I have Guilty Gear to look forward to.

So, why the feels? I don't know, but I have a thought. Ever since I first played Persona 3 I kinda saw some of myself in the protagonist. Headphones for isolation from the outside while listening to music being all introverted like that, but at the flip of a switch can easily hang out with others. Meanwhile I like being alone once in a while to just collect thoughts and sometimes listen to some music, while other times I love hanging out with my friends on a frequent basis. So maybe seeing some of how I function in how Makoto is presented could add a little to that. Maybe. I'm not some psychologist so I don't know :p

I would say so, absolutely. Being able to see a part of yourself in a character helps you relate and become more invested and immerse into the game. I'm sure all the dialogue choices it presents to you helps this too. It doesn't even have to be your player avatar. I say this because P3 is the only game to feature a character I've related to strongly, and I think I can attribute at least some of that to the reason why I thought P3 was an 'alright' game for the first half, to becoming so invested that it actually managed to squeeze a tear out of me at the end (it holds the honour of being the only game to do so :p).

Also I think I would get P2 if it were remade like that. Characters and story being praised has me interested, but hearing the gameplay isn't that great and no EP on PSN puts me off.

Sophia

Yeah I definitely agree.

Persona is a solid fighter with plenty of potential IMO, but it really needs a balance patch/another version already to fix balance issues and add more characters to make things more fresh. I feel kinda sad that after Evo, barely anyone (if at all) is going to play the game anymore.

I wouldn't mess with the balance too much. But there's some issues I'd start working out. Aigis's overpowered combos, Mitsuru, Elizabeth, etc And the game is in dire need of some more stages that aren't the school (really wish they would have kept some of the concept stages...)

And it just needs more modes too, something not named Score Attack.

I would complain about too many characters, but this is Arcsys and they're pretty good about not overwhelming the player with too many options (*coughcapcomcough*)

PK Gaming

Yeah I definitely agree.

As much as I hate to admit it, I would start by taking a sledge hammer and start pounding on Yu and Chie, until they're more reasonable. Mitsuru, Teddie and Aigis could use some changes to, but not to the extent that the above 2 characters need.

I really hope they tastefully nerf the top 2 characters (IE they should among the best characters in the game, but not ridiculous)

I would agree with at least including a score attack mode that isn't so intense. No problems with the character selection, although a playable Koromaru might have been pretty neat :p.

Oh god you guys, I was really considering getting a "memento mori" tattoo in the P3 font for a birthday present.

Which may have been surprisingly apt. It's like a fancy version of YOLO or something.

Marche90

I haven't played P4A for more than one hour, so I can't comment on the balance. Anyway, I'm a natural button masher for those games, so I doubt that I would care that much (even when explained, button combos + numbers for the stick scare me :s )

Arc was so devastated when they learned Dantis did not enjoy P4:A that they decided it was best to lay it to rest. D:

Dammit, Dantis! >:T

j/k

Sophia

I would agree with at least including a score attack mode that isn't so intense. No problems with the character selection, although a playable Koromaru might have been pretty neat :p.

Actual survival mode would have been nice. But ArcSys seems hell bent on putting Unlimited Mars on everything, even though few like it.

FluxWaveZ

Dantis

I'd like a decent story, better sprites (Not a chance!), more accurate movelists, a better HUD, BETTER EVERYTHING.

EDIT - I thought of a better way to phase this:

Better art, sound, gameplay and story.

Sophia

Other than addressing obvious balance issues and the additional characters that a sequel would bring, what I'd want from a sequel to P4A is:

- Special character intros (other than Aki vs. Aki)
- Matchup specific themes (other than mirror matches)
- A mode similar to BlazBlue's Abyss (which would fit pretty well since the game's based on an RPG)
- Taunts + more special character dialogue (crazy that those weren't in in the first place)
- Online ranking system that doesn't suck

I have no complaints or additions really. You've listed everything important. I still can't believe Abyss mode wasn't in P4A. It just seems like too logical of a choice.... what with Tartarus, Persona 3, and all.

Markun

Aw nuts, I may as well post something that's been eating me inside for the longest time.

I'm really disappointed in Persona PSP when it comes to the sound department. I don't mean just the music, but the sound effects as well. I do like the new stuff that Meguro put in the PSP version, but I would've killed to see him remix the entire OST, especially Awakening Legend and Deadline. He's got talent and I know he would've done a good job. I also really miss the dynamic battle themes they had in there. That feeling when you press "Fight" in the beginning of a boss battle and the music goes full swing is just so exhilarating. The endings of the song were satisfying too, especially Tesso's.

I think what I'm more disappointed with is Atlus's decision to half-ass the sound effects. There are quite a bit of sound effects missing, like Tesso's mechanical sounds when he casts a spell, the Waltz of Sadness music being completely gone, or the hula dance music those Gremlins did off the top of my head. The hula music they used in Persona PSP is a really bad replacement to me. The replaced sound effects they used in Persona PSP lacked the oomph the original had, and the enemies that are now mute look really weird when they're casting something and nothing comes out of their mouth. I think I'm just really nitpicking in this department because those sound effects added life to battle and it even made some of the enemies stand out, especially the hula-dancing Gremlins. If there were a Persona 1 HD, I'd want them to add the sound effects that were in the original game.

And that's all I have to say. It's not well thought out, nitpicky and whiny, but I'm glad I finally got it out. I'll leave now. <_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom