• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Makoto's s.link path is riddled with him saying what his s.link partner wants to hear, not what they need to hear. I think it's especially egragious with running guy (Kaz? I forget his actual name) where the best method of progression is seriously for you to encourage him to fuck himself over and then berate him until he gets better. I know it's mainly just a consequence of their first time doing s.links, but the implications were troubling.

Squire

Banned
SEVEN HOURS UNTIL E TRIPLE!

OH. MAN.

This x 1000

Bolded because HYPE

Makoto's s.link path is riddled with him saying what his s.link partner wants to hear, not what they need to hear. I think it's especially egragious with running guy (Kaz? I forget his actual name) where the best method of progression is seriously for you to encourage him to fuck himself over and then berate him until he gets better. I know it's mainly just a consequence of their first time doing s.links, but the implications were troubling.

Kazzy

I actually like those kind of decisions, though. Usually the good/bad choices are so binary, that it's hard to feel that your conversations are actually organic. Yes, in the case of Persona, where your progress is actually intrinsic to the actual gameplay mechanics, it can be a little frustrating. Nonetheless, it's good whenever a game can get you to make a decision that you think is the best, rather than one that you simply think will offer up the best results.

Yukari was always similar in that way.

Astra

Wow, that's a great haul. Can't wait for this Friday! Beyond looks really good too.

I'm starting to feel the hype, now that I officially purchased it!

I am kind of dreading E3 now. Futureshop will put more games from E3 up for pre-order, and I'll be tempted to grab them all. MGSV isn't available quite yet, and I'm sure it'll be up sometime in the next couple days.

Makoto and Yu are both jerks. Awesome, badass jerks.
Except Yu loses a lot of points from the anime for having a popped collar!

Jintor

I actually like those kind of decisions, though. Usually the good/bad choices are so binary, that it's hard to feel that your conversations are actually organic. Yes, in the case of Persona, where your progress is actually intrinsic to the actual gameplay mechanics, it can be a little frustrating. Nonetheless, it's good whenever a game can get you to make a decision that you think is the best, rather than one that you simply think will offer up the best results.

It actually did the exact opposite for me: it made me characterise my player character as a manipulative sociopath.

Dantis

You're just putting a weird spin on it. The people Makoto befriends are waaaaay worse off than the people Yu befriends. He 'tells them what they want to hear' because most of them are in inescapable situations. (S Link spoilers)
Kaz has a janky knee so can't follow his dream, Mamoru is poor, the kid's parents are splitting up, Akinari is dying etc. etc.
His 'role' is to be there for them as they go through something (Usually horrible) and be there for them. Most of their problems can't be fixed by just some sound advice.

I'm not sure about this whole 'Yu tells them what they need to hear' either.

Jintor

You're just putting a weird spin on it. The people Makoto befriends are waaaaay worse off than the people Yu befriends. He 'tells them what they want to hear' because most of them are in inescapable situations. (S Link spoilers)
Kaz has a janky knee so can't follow his dream, Mamoru is poor, the kid's parents are splitting up, Akinari is dying etc. etc.
His 'role' is to be there for them as they go through something (Usually horrible) and be there for them. Most of their problems can't be fixed by just some sound advice.

I'm not sure about this whole 'Yu tells them what they need to hear' either.

So his role is basically to be this mirror that stands there while they fuck themselves over and then to reflect their life decisions back at them? I can't remember specifics anymore, but I don't think I was just being weird about it. I had the distinct impression all the way through FES about this otherness to the s.links when compared with P4.

Dantis

Yu doesn't.

Makoto does XD

Makoto's s.link path is riddled with him saying what his s.link partner wants to hear, not what they need to hear

I think you misread something there.

So his role is basically to be this mirror that stands there while they fuck themselves over and then to reflect their life decisions back at them?

No, it's to comfort someone who is royally fucked. Saori is another great example (And the best S Link).

Some people just need a friend, not a councilor.

Dantis

Five hours until Microsoft. Thirteen and a half until Sony.

personagameofthrones.png

BELIEVE.

Omikaru

P5 for Vita sounds good to me. So long as it's not 3DS or Xbone, I think I'd be happy. Wii U would be mildly disappointing, but only because it's region locked. Any 3DS version would be downgraded and region locked, and Xbone is, well... we all know why that system is shit.

Preferably, it'll be on PS3, PS4, PC or Vita.

PK Gaming

Regarding Makoto's social links:

I wouldn't say he's an ass in general, but he can potentially be the most manipulative and disingenuous bastard out there. It's cool that the game gives you options that lets you voice your genuine opinion, but it sucks when most of the time, those options barely net you s.link points. Having unscrupulous control of a situation or person is the only way to reliably max out social links quickly. The Kaz social link is a prime example, its really fucked up when you really think about it. And goddamnit, sometimes you just wanna hang out and talk to your friends, and I feel like P4 (and P3P especially) was much better in that regard.

Levito

Banned
"Fog gathers, and now my search begins. It shall not end until the fog clears. I shall take no waifu, hold no s.links, babysit no Nanako's. I will not wear Junes garb or win beauty pageants. I shall live and die saving my friend. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher of Inaba. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to solving the case, for this foggy night and all the foggy nights to come."

THE SHADOWS ARE GETTING RESTLESS, WINTER IS COMING.

"Fog gathers, and now my search begins. It shall not end until the fog clears. I shall take no waifu, hold no s.links, babysit no Nanako's. I will not wear Junes garb or win beauty pageants. I shall live and die saving my friend. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher of Inaba. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to solving the case, for this foggy night and all the foggy nights to come."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3gEKpGD4D4

Trigger

Hahaha, that Vita announcement!

Why did I get hyped up? ;___;

Perfection.

Dantis

The MS conference was miles better than I expected (Though not even close enough to getting me to want the platform, and showing only one or two games that I was actively interested in), but (Unsurprisingly), no Persona 5.

One down. Two to go.

Then my avatar cries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom