• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

My copy's still on a truck. :(

But that's fine as I finally get to the island in AC. Amazing how adding a place with non-stop mini-games really adds to the game.

Squire

Banned
Speaking of motion controls, I'm rather confused about the PS4 Eye. Do I need a move controller with it? And say I want to play some party shovelware with 3 people, but I have two controllers, would the camera pick up on the extra person still?

Help me find the true path Persona-GAF

You don't need Move to take advantage of it. PS4 supports gesture controls, so ostensibly it's Kinect, but probably less capable.

It tracks multiple people, too. During the PS4 unveil the example Mark Cerny gave was during a spit-screen game you could move where you're sitting and the screens will swap to follow you. Daylight will take photos of your reactions as you play.

So yeah, you don't need Move for it.

Ditched the ps2 version of P4 to play Golden. Impressed so far. But is it just me or does the SOS system suck? I've aided every single player so far and only ONE person has aided me. The aid is kinda shitty as well, only a bit of hp and sp at the beginning of a battle. Seriously? How often do you guys send and recieve aid?

None of us really use SOS that much, if at all.

A bunch of those guys are in it. Pretty sure Laura Bailey is in it too.

Travis Willingham, too. Liam O'Brien is in there a lot and he directed that stuff.

Venfayth

X2z8Z.jpg

!!!

Dantis

I have just finished The Last of Us.

It is one of the greatest games I have ever played in my life. I cannot believe how good it is.

I am glad Persona 5 didn't come out this year because too many good games would hurt my brain.

Levito

Banned
PK is a great choice! Let's do it PK. :)

Hahahaha god I can't get enough on Dantis with that icon.

I too have been playing The Last Of US. It's a great game, though I'm not aboard the "this is the greatest piece of interactive art every conceived by a human. Literally Citizen Kane ported to the PS3" It's got some pretty significant flaws that I think some people are overlooking. (Such as the partner AI being trash, and the enemy AI almost completely ignoring them during stealth sections)

Something something Persona.

Young Magus

Cool thing happened recently, I had my friend listen to the Digital Devil Saga OST, doesn't really listen to VGM that much. He said that the soundtrack was top notch and production was amazing. Goes to show the power of MegaTen OST's

Something Something Social Links.

Venfayth

It is one of the greatest games I have ever played in my life. I cannot believe how good it is.

I am glad Persona 5 didn't come out this year because too many good games would hurt my brain.

How do you know Persona 5 will be good? Maybe Labrys will be in it.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I'm guessing this is the fourth game you've played after Persona 3, Persona 4, and Alan Wake

You don't need Move to take advantage of it. PS4 supports gesture controls, so ostensibly it's Kinect, but probably less capable.

It tracks multiple people, too. During the PS4 unveil the example Mark Cerny gave was during a spit-screen game you could move where you're sitting and the screens will swap to follow you. Daylight will take photos of your reactions as you play.

So yeah, you don't need Move for it.

Thanks. I didn't really pay much attention to the eye stuff at the unveiling, and they just forgot it existed at E3 (probably for the better)

Levito

Banned
Let's be honest, in a lot of ways The Last of Us will be better anyway.

Yeah like death having no consequence during gameplay, and all the tension and horror is sucked out because of it making most enemy encounters boring. *SNAP*

Something something Atlus something Persona.

Dantis

Grinding through a few floors and losing 30-45m of work is wayyyyyy more punishing than losing 1-2m since your last checkpoint.

This will not happen in Persona 5.

It didn't happen in Persona 4 Golden, so it sure as heck isn't happening in Persona 5.

Levito

Banned
In the past Persona games(Golden aside), if you died you lost all progress up until your last save point. While that may seem like pretty standard, it's practically punishing compared to modern game design. Far too many "AAA" games have no real penalty for dying.

The Last Of Us autosaves after like.. Every enemy encounter. Thus breaking the tension completely. I'm playing on Hard and rarely die now, and only initially I did during the first real infected encounter. Once I learned it's easy to just melee most of them to death (Even Clickers can be taken out easy with melee weapons) it became really easy.

No idea if survival mode entails, but I hope it fixes this. Game would've been way better with an old school savepoint system like classic Resident Evil games.

Wanna bet your av on it?

Salt in the wound.

Sophia

Yeah like death having no consequence during gameplay, and all the tension and horror is sucked out because of it making most enemy encounters boring. *SNAP*

Sounds like The Last of Us alright. Really wish there was a mode that didn't save every five seconds.

The Last Of Us autosaves after like.. Every enemy encounter. Thus breaking the tension completely. I'm playing on Hard and rarely die now, and only initially I did during the first real infected encounter. Once I learned it's easy to just melee most of them to death (Even Clickers can be taken out easy with melee weapons) it became really easy.

No idea if survival mode entails, but I hope it fixes this. Game would've been way better with an old school savepoint system like classic Resident Evil games.

Survivor mode is to TLOU what 1999 mode was to Bioshock Infinite. It doesn't fix the games problems at all. :\

Wanna bet your av on it?

I think they'd keep their av. Persona is a fairly well known series among gamers now, and is a top tier game for the JRPG crowd. Death will be less punishing, because it's not a super niche dungeon crawler anymore, just like P4 is a lot easier than P3.

What's with P4 not being on PSN anyway? My disc got all messed up and I want to replay it after I finish replaying P3, but I don't want to pay $20 (or pull out the PS2) haha

Sophia

Sounds like every AAA game in in the last decade.

The Last of Us is one of those games that pointed out to me why making death so cheap is a bad idea. It's actually better to die then win the encounter spending all your supplies. That is messed up.

It's a shame too, it's a fundamentally good game. But all the tension in the game quickly gets replaced with frustration when you realize you can't possibly fail.

Levito

Banned
Sounds like The Last of Us alright. Really wish there was a mode that didn't save every five seconds.

Hahah it almost becomes comical, like I'm trying to save my game for the night and I have to wait for a flippin' autosave first!

Survivor mode is to TLOU what 1999 mode was to Bioshock Infinite. It doesn't fix the games problems at all. :\

It depends what you mean by problems, believe me, this game has a lot of them. People calling it a masterpiece are being silly.

What does survivor mode actually do though? Removes autosaving?

Sounds like every AAA game in in the last decade.

I'd say more the last 5 years then decade, but I agree. It's more troubling here though cause some people are acting like The Last Of Us is some sort of great return of survival horror. There's no survival cause death has no consequence.

Sophia

What does survivor mode actually do though? Removes autosaving?

Removes listens mode and makes all the supplies really tight. As far as I know (I couldn't be bothered to finish the game before the end of the rental) it doesn't do anything to the autosave.

PK Gaming

PK is a great choice! Let's do it PK. :)

Hahahaha god I can't get enough on Dantis with that icon.

I too have been playing The Last Of US. It's a great game, though I'm not aboard the "this is the greatest piece of interactive art every conceived by a human. Literally Citizen Kane ported to the PS3" It's got some pretty significant flaws that I think some people are overlooking. (Such as the partner AI being trash, and the enemy AI almost completely ignoring them during stealth sections)

Something something Persona.

Oh god, that would mean the world to me.

Thank you ♪

Levito

Banned
Survival horror is not a genre

Not anymore it isn't, just a label people throw on any game that has dimly lit hallways and monsters in it.

Survival horror is most certainly a genre though. You can't call the likes of Silent Hill 1-3, Amnesia, Clocktower and Fatal Frame "action adventure".

Horror is all about dis-empowerment, action is all about ultimate empowerment. ;)

Removes listens mode and makes all the supplies really tight. As far as I know (I couldn't be bothered to finish the game before the end of the rental) it doesn't do anything to the autosave.

That's weak, I really was hoping it'd remove the autosaving, or lessened it at least.

GETTING BACK TO PERSONA...

Do you guys thing P5 will utilize P4G's autosaving? I'd argue that release only has it because it's portable.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Survival horror is a subgenre.
It's not anything. It's a nonsensical term that nobody can agree on the meaning of (see the constant mudslinging debates of "no this is survival horror!" "no it isn't this is" "lol no actually this is") which roots from the fact that it was a nonsense Engrish marketing term used by Capcom for the first Resident Evil. It's totally meaningless, just as you'd look sideways at somebody trying to say that survival panic (used for Dino Crisis) or crazy hard action (used for DMC) are real genres, so should you look at people who use survival horror.
Not anymore it isn't, just a label people throw on any game that has dimly lit hallways and monsters in it.

Survival horror is most certainly a genre though. You can't call the likes of Silent Hill 1-3, Amnesia, Clocktower and Fatal Frame "action adventure".
I can, because... they are. Maybe just adventure.

Horror is all about dis-empowerment, action is all about ultimate empowerment. ;)
By this definition, Daimakaimura is the most horrifying survival horror game of all time.

Oh, Persona Persona Persona.

Sophia

It's not anything. It's a nonsensical term that nobody can agree on the meaning of (see the constant mudslinging debates of "no this is survival horror!" "no it isn't this is" "lol no actually this is") which roots from the fact that it was a nonsense Engrish marketing term used by Capcom for the first Resident Evil. It's totally meaningless, just as you'd look sideways at somebody trying to say that survival panic (used for Dino Crisis) or crazy hard action (used for DMC) are real genres, so should you look at people who use survival horror.

Just because you don't have any idea of what a genre is, doesn't mean we're all that foolish. Survival horror is perfectly well defined, despite what some idiots on the internet may argue.

Do you guys thing P5 will utilize P4G's autosaving? I'd argue that release only has it because it's portable.

I imagine Persona 5 will follow in the footsteps of SMT IV and allow you to save anywhere, regardless if it's a console or handheld release. You can effectively do this in Persona 3/Persona 4 anyhow, as long as you're prepared for it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Just because you don't have any idea of what a genre is, doesn't mean we're all that foolish. Survival horror is perfectly well defined, despite what some idiots on the internet may argue.
Define it.

Persona is a pretty cool survival horror game imo

Taruranto

Survival horror is a subgenre.

Actually, Action-Adventure is a genre. It's a subgenre/hybrid genre of both Action and Adventure.

Genres are not strict definitions. They're categories based off stylistic criteria, and they're flexible.

I was joking. :p

But really, "Survival Horror is not a genre (or subgenre, whatever)" is just a poor excuse invented by Resident Evil 4 apologists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom