• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the auto-save in Golden work? I've not played it.

Losing progress isn't really a problem anyway if you make use of Traesto and Goho-M.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is a poor definition, because it can be easily applied to games that people wouldn't consider survival horror (see: the Daimakaimura quip I made, or something like Dark Souls, or RPGs with horror themes that have high difficulties and limited resources)

Next. I love Persona.

Sophia

Define it.

Survivor Horror is a subgenre which puts emphasis on a player's ability to survive within the gameworld, with a horror slant to it. Daimakaimura (or Ghouls 'n Ghosts for those of us who prefer the English name) isn't survival horror, it's merely just a hard game. There is no item management, no sense of survival, no horror within the game's atmosphere itself. Amnesia is a survival horror because the odds are against you, with no weaponry and limited supplies. Classic Resident Evil is a survival horror because of it's focus on limited ammo and supplies.

The Last of Us actually would be survival horror if the game had a proper save system instead of one where you can just restart on a dime.

Also, Survival Horror is a pretty liberal genere, just like Post Modernism when applied to a story.

This is a poor definition, because it can be easily applied to games that people wouldn't consider survival horror (see: the Daimakaimura quip I made, or something like Dark Souls, or RPGs with horror themes that have high difficulties and limited resources)

Next. I love Persona.

Like I said, Ghouls 'n Ghosts is just merely a hard game. There's no actual element of survival. Dark Souls on the other hand does have elements of survival horror, although I'd argue they're very poor and hurt the experience more than they help.

Losing progress isn't really a problem anyway if you make use of Traesto and Goho-M.

Golden doesn't have auto-save. I'm not sure why the heck Levito said that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Survivor Horror is a subgenre which puts emphasis on a player's ability to survive within the gameworld, with a horror slant to it. Daimakaimura (or Ghouls 'n Ghosts for those of us who prefer the English name) isn't survival horror, it's merely just a hard game. There is no item management, no sense of survival, no horror within the game's atmosphere itself.
There is no sense of survival in a hard game? And there are ghosts, ghouls, and other scary things. It's very horror inspired. Just like Persona.

Lives are a form of item management, too.

Meia

It's a pretty close definition, honestly.

The best way to categorize it is how safe do you feel playing the game? Are you constantly in danger, or do you always have the means of dealing with what may come? Do you have practically infinite ammo, or are you planning your routes strategically to save every last bullet you have? Even if you're "ok" with ammo, are the enemies threatening/numerous?

Honestly, for me, that genre has been dead for quite awhile now. I thought Amnesia might have had it, but after finally manning up and beating it last month, I don't know what I was so afraid of playing a stealth simulator for. I think you'd be hard pressed to convince anyone who's ever done an early Resident Evil game's speed-run that "survival horror" isn't a genre, it's just you'll be hard pressed to find games like them.

And don't know what to expect about anything with Persona 5. Golden just flat out dumbed down so many systems that it's impossible to call at this point.

PK Gaming

When you die in Golden, you have the option of respawning on the floor you died on rather than go back to the title screen. It's really handy if you get mudo/hama ambushed.

Sophia

There is no sense of survival in a hard game? And there are ghosts, ghouls, and other scary things. It's very horror inspired. Just like Persona.

Lives are a form of item management, too.

The sense of survival is not imposed upon by the game itself, so no. For it to be survival horror it has to be an aspect of the game itself. I.E. you have limited ammo (Resident Evil), or you have no weapons entirely (Amnesia) or it is not feasible to fight the vast majority of your opponents.

When you die in Golden, you have the option of respawning on the floor you died on rather than go back to the title screen. It's really handy if you get mudo/hama ambushed.

Yup. That's not auto-save. Just a very generous death penalty.

Levito

Banned
The Last of Us actually would be survival horror if the game had a proper save system instead of one where you can just restart on a dime.

Exactly, if it had a save system akin to the typewriter system in older Resident Evil games, I'd have no qualms calling it survival horror.

Golden doesn't have auto-save. I'm not sure why the heck Levito said that.

I haven't played Golden much, Dantis implyed it handled saving differently than vanilla P4. I assumed. :p

Venfayth

Exactly, if it had a save system akin to the typewriter system in older Resident Evil games, I'd have no qualms calling it survival horror.

I haven't played Golden much, Dantis implyed it handled saving differently than vanilla P4. I assumed. :p

On easier difficulties you have checkpoints at the beginning of floors or before fights, IIRC.

Sophia

On easier difficulties you have checkpoints at the beginning of floors or before fights, IIRC.

Very Easy lets you retry from the start of a fight. Easy, Normal, and Hard let you retry from the floor. Very Hard is the same as vanilla Persona 4. There's also other modifers such as how much XP/Yen you get. Nothing that affects saving however.

They did however remove the savepoints from right before boss rooms, barring a couple of exceptions. Probably because you can just use a Goho-M and get out anyhow.

gnr.png

We had a good run Spooky Ghost, but since im taking a break on Soul Hackers (Beat it a while ago, was working on bonus bosses) to go back to P2EP, It's time to welcome back an old friend.

Oh well if that's the case I reckon they'll continue with something similar, having it vary with the difficulty level, which is a good idea imo.

I wonder if they'll change dungeons up much in P5 though.

I'll miss Spooky Ghost.

pouring+out+a+40.jpeg

don't worry, he will be back. This is not the last of his hard core hacking.

In the famous worlds of a certain android.
1777531-suterm.jpg

"I'll be back."

Spooky Ghost is the Citizen Kane of avatars after all, but Maya is the Citizen Kane of Persona characters.

Yeah, the character animation was turrible.

i remember when the famitsu wave trailer first leaked i was so excited because HOLY CRAP Y'ALL ACTUAL ANIMATION INSTEAD OF THE NONSENSE THAT P2 HAD GOING ON
boy was i disappointed!!!

p4's animated scenes are of a better technical quality, but it's absolutely bewildering with some of the stuff they chose to/not to animate

Samyy

Debating playing P3 or P4:G again this week.
Haven't got the best ending in P4 yet but I havent played P3 in like a year...
Decisions...

Also need to find a Persona avatar now that all the PS4 hype has died down

Samyy

P4 it is, being able to play Persona in bed does make it an easy choice :p (though I think I like P3 a bit better though)

I need to buy P3:p sometime

Sophia

Debating playing P3 or P4:G again this week.
Haven't got the best ending in P4 yet but I havent played P3 in like a year...
Decisions...

Also need to find a Persona avatar now that all the PS4 hype has died down

That means you have at least one dungeon you didn't complete. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO O_O;

Samyy

In my defence it wasn't really clear that the way to the last dungeon was going to close up on me like that with no warning :(

Sophia

In my defence it wasn't really clear that the way to the last dungeon was going to close up on me like that with no warning :(

It never closes up. You can't lock yourself out of the final dungeon unless you override your save. Or any dungeon in vanilla P4 for that matter.

The "ending" shenanigans for P4 were many people's main complaints with it, and rightfully so.

As far as vanilla Persona 4 goes, not rightfully so. Atlus went out of their way to make sure you could not screw yourself over unless you overwrote your save file.

It never closes up. You can't lock yourself out of the final dungeon unless you override your save. Or any dungeon in vanilla P4 for that matter.

As far as vanilla Persona 4 goes, not rightfully so. Atlus went out of their way to make sure you could not screw yourself over unless you overwrote your save file.

Don't most people just overwrite their save files with the latest one?

Sophia

Don't most people just overwrite their save files with the latest one?

Not when the game explicitly tells you that you should save in a new file. :p

Unless you save over your file with a Game Clear save, you can't screw up, at least not for the vanilla game. You can screw yourself over out of the new optional dungeon in Golden tho...

Meia

Not when the game explicitly tells you that you should save in a new file. :p

The problem is people like me who go through the games filling up a whole memory card to begin with for that very reason. :p

Don't get me wrong, it didn't bite me in the ass or anything, but to say that ENDING CHOICE SPOILERS
the exact choices you MUST give Namatame(all SIX of them) or what you do to unlock the ultimate final dungeon
weren't convoluted as hell is crazy.
How they handle how you pick who the killer is?
That was smartly handled, and it made the thing that happened before it and after it all the more jarring, honestly.

I mean, yeah, you could go back and just replay part of the game again even if you botched the choices, but that you kind of could in the first place isn't necessarily a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom