• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrafty what is your streaming channel?

ScraftyDevil on Twitch.tv. I just set it up right now ;D

I'm probably not going to stream anything for a bit since there are a few things I want to do first (such as make a joke combo video with Kanji in P4A using this song), but I may LP FES later if you guys'd be willing to join me and withstand my unbearable humour.

Astra

ScraftyDevil on Twitch.tv. I just set it up right now ;D

I'm probably not going to stream anything for a bit since there are a few things I want to do first (such as make a joke combo video with Kanji in P4A using this song), but I may LP FES later if you guys'd be willing to join me and withstand my unbearable humour.

I'll join you! :D
My humor is probably more unBEARable than yours.

Jintor

Here's a thing.

When Scully meets them, most of the social links are trapped by a rigid understanding of identity: Kaz is trapped by his identity as an athlete and role model to his nephew, Yuko is trapped by her identity as manager of the school’s athletic team, the owners of the bookstore are trapped by their identities as mourning parents. These characters are all locked into one interpretation of themselves, but by the time Scully has helped them with their problems, they come to accept a degree of plurality to themselves. Kaz relaxes his self-destructive determination and finds other ways to inspire his nephew, Yuko uses her natural charity to motivate her through a school system she never felt she fit into, the owners of the bookstore choose to remember the good that their son did with his life rather than the sadness brought on by his death. The resolution of all these smaller plot threads involves characters trapped by one identity accepting and including other, greater versions of themselves into their whole without dismissing their original selves.

The mechanical challenge in interacting with each social link is to deliver the answer that they want to hear. They may be interesting people with believable problems, but every interaction can be reduced to guessing what response will yield the most friendship points. To do this, the player must make Scully into the ideal friend for each different social link, which means that the player must behave like a new Scully for each new friend, adopting a new personality—a new identity—each time. The Scully that is straightforward and blunt with Hidetoshi and Matatsu is laid back and understanding with Kenji and Mamoru. The goal in balancing these different friendships is to adopt the personality trait that will most likely satisfy the needs of whomever Scully is talking to.

While it’s certainly possible for a person to have a handful of seemingly contradictory personality traits, the hero of Persona 3 is a different person with every new classmate he meets. Each social link offers little crossover from the last: Scully doesn’t look for one type of friend with certain traits or interests. Everyone is fair game: the student council treasurer, a little girl at the shrine, an online gamer, an exchange student in the fashion club and, really, anyone else in town undergoing an identity crisis. Again, somewhere in reality there’s somebody with just that disparate a set of friends, but it’s unlikely for one person to keep such a varied group, especially considering that no one in Scully’s group has a relationship with anyone other than Scully beyond a passing acquaintanceship. Moreover, Scully’s set of responses available to the player doesn’t indicate a consistent person, it suggests someone adopting a new self for each new friend.

An excellent reading of P3, I feel, apart from calling our hero Scully.

Meia

I never actually thought that Tartarus could be looked at as the high school's shadow. What an interesting idea.

The swapping viewpoints to tell people what they want to hear hits too close to home for me personally, so I'll leave that thought alone, only adding that if you do it long enough you forgot what you're supposed to be(see: Rise). (3's ending spoilers)
The ending of 3 was powerful, but I almost wish we could have had more with the character once his battle was done, and what his aftermath would have been.

Levito

Banned
So I figured out solution to the "off-topic problem" here on the community thread.

Just replace the off-topic language with "Persona 5".

For example:

"Just saw Man Of Steel", it wasn't too bad"

Now becomes:

"Just saw Persona 5, it wasn't too bad"

We'll never go off topic again.

*AHEM*

So who wants to play some Persona 5 multiplayer?

Astra

So I figured out solution to the "off-topic problem" here on the community thread.

For example:

Now becomes:

*AHEM*

I'll be down for some Persona 5 MP as soon as I finish the SP.

Trigger

Multiplayer in persona would actually be pretty cool. Maybe that's why P5 is taking so long. The game will be a co-op RPG.
Nah

Astra

FUCK THAT. Co-op could be the one thing in terms of content that would make me rage. Competitive MP as a side thing I wouldn't care about, but if there's an option for co-op in the singleplayer, I'm out.

Agreed. It always ruins the single player experience. RE5 is complete ass to play by yourself.
Not sure how they can reasonably implement co-op in Persona, unless it's a special co-op dungeon or something.
To have co-op through the whole main story would be tedious, I'd think.

PK Gaming

I think he doesn't want the devs to waste valuable resources by including co-op.

That said, they should let other players control your party during a battle, just like in FFIX!

FluxWaveZ

Then....don't do co-op?

That didn't work well in Resident Evil 5's case. Or Borderlands. Or Monster Hunter/Soul Sacrifice. Or pretty much any game where the design focus is based around co-op play. The mere presence of co-op turns me off and, unless it's handled like the Souls games, I have no interest in it.

I want the effort to be built around the solo experience first and foremost. Any kind of in-depth multiplayer, especially co-op ingrained in the campaign, breaks that.

Astra

That didn't work well in Resident Evil 5's case. Or Borderlands. Or Monster Hunter/Soul Sacrifice. Or pretty much any game where the design focus is based around co-op play. The mere presence of co-op turns me off and, unless it's handled like the Souls games, I have no interest in it.

Other players invade your world as Shadows.

Trigger

I thought RE6 handled it well enough. I envision co-op in a Persona game being similar to an MMO anyway. Bosses and enemy parties would probably be adjusted.

cjkeats

I can't remember what game it was, but there was a JRPG that had co-op, but the second player only did anything in the battles.

It was the dumbest thing ever.

Talking about dumb co-op, Sin and Punishment for the N64. One player moves the character, the other moves the aiming reticule, rather than just one person moving both as normal. It's pretty lame imo.

Soriku

I hear ya. I can't stand grinding in RPGs anymore. As we get older, we have a lot less time for gaming, and I don't want to spend the time I have grinding in a dungeon for several hours.

This is why I love Persona 4, there was simply no need to grind at all, even if it made the bosses a bit difficult. They could be pretty easily beat using proper strategy.
With Nocturne, you have to grind, and still the bosses are pretty damn hard. If you're underleveled, you're screwed.

I grinded twice in Nocturne. Once to make an awesome Daisoujou (just because I wanted to, not because it was necessary), and once at the end to get an awesome Metatron/Beelzebub (again, cuz I wanted to). Didn't have to grind any other time at all.

I actually grinded more often in P4 :/ Though it was my first SMT game.

Astra

Heh, sure. Make dungeons more open instead of linear corridors, allow Shadow invasion by other players and allow the player to summon another to help combat it. Persona Souls.

You pick an arcana at the beginning, and if one who summons you has it maxed, you get combat bonuses while in their world. Likewise, if you invade someone who has a low rank in that S.Link, then you're an extra beefy shadow.

Could you imagine how annoying it would be to have an invasion system such as Dark Souls' in Persona? hahaha.

I grinded twice in Nocturne. Once to make an awesome Daisoujou (just because I wanted to, not because it was necessary), and once at the end to get an awesome Metatron/Beelzebub (again, cuz I wanted to). Didn't have to grind any other time at all.

I actually grinded more in P4 :/ Though it was my first SMT game.

Fair enough. I guess that insane encounter rate is grinding enough, haha.

Levito

Banned
Multiplayer means they'd need dedicated servers, Atlus has already has acted like it's a struggle to keep the server's up for Demon's Souls. So yeah, online multiplayer, especially multiplayer central to the experience of the game in could be troubling in the future.

It's kind of sad that gaming publishers don't really take real steps to preserve gaming history the way movie studios do with film. It's undoubtedly much more difficult to preserve a piece of software for a multitude of reasons, but dang a lot of gaming history will be lost forever.

Even a cultural phenomenon like WoW will eventually be brought offline someday, crazy to think.

Don't forget Tales of... co-op. As long as the FOV's good, two player can be a blast, especially once both players get used to controling an AI each via the dpad/c-stick. Good times.

I hear ya. I can't stand grinding in RPGs anymore. As we get older, we have a lot less time for gaming, and I don't want to spend the time I have grinding in a dungeon for several hours.

This is why I love Persona 4, there was simply no need to grind at all, even if it made the bosses a bit difficult. They could be pretty easily beat using proper strategy.
With Nocturne, you have to grind, and still the bosses are pretty damn hard. If you're underleveled, you're screwed.

There is no difference between the two. Both work under the same rules, with P4 sending more mercy our way. All grinding in SMT3 was avoidable and sought out either needed or not (gots to have mah Metatron!)

DDS2 was a MOTHER for this, though. Vritra and Meganada are king asshole bosses, mang. Wow.

I can't remember what game it was, but there was a JRPG that had co-op, but the second player only did anything in the battles.

It was the dumbest thing ever.

final fantasy vi did that, i know

Fair enough. I guess that insane encounter rate is grinding enough, haha.

i consider the "you sat and read a book/you had a conversation with yosuke you feel your relationship will improve soon/you folded envelopes" stuff grinding

Meia

i consider the "you sat and read a book/you had a conversation with yosuke you feel your relationship will improve soon/you folded envelopes" stuff grinding

Well, it's good there's the actual gameplay to break things up then, huh? :p

Maybe that's it. Dungeon explore dungeon explore dungeon explore, that's pretty much what I remember of Nocturne. Oh, and bits and pieces of characters here and there, that didn't act much like characters but more like the manifestos you can align yourself with. Persona when you get tired of social linking, hey time for dungeon! When that starts to get boring, time for social links!

I got halfway through Nocturne(I THINK) the last time I stopped, and didn't have to grind much, but it's just the same thing over and over and over with no interesting plot or characters to break up the monotony, and I just kind of wander away from those games. Pure dungeon crawlers and open world games I think are two things that kill me.

cj_iwakura

For example:

Now becomes:

*AHEM*

Persona 5 Challenge 4 is driving me crazy.
Vanquish

I guess it might work.

Well, it's good there's the actual gameplay to break things up then, huh? :p

Maybe that's it. Dungeon explore dungeon explore dungeon explore, that's pretty much what I remember of Nocturne. Oh, and bits and pieces of characters here and there, that didn't act much like characters but more like the manifestos you can align yourself with. Persona when you get tired of social linking, hey time for dungeon! When that starts to get boring, time for social links!

I got halfway through Nocturne(I THINK) the last time I stopped, and didn't have to grind much, but it's just the same thing over and over and over with no interesting plot or characters to break up the monotony, and I just kind of wander away from those games. Pure dungeon crawlers and open world games I think are two things that kill me.

Awww man, ya killin' me here.

I do hope SMT4 sticks close with the series though. I gots the need for that indifferent hellhole slog (cuz P5's got my back for that other itch for great light character development!) :D

cjkeats

If I had a guide I could. I don't have New Leaf yet but I made a pretty gnarly Ninja StarForce Megman in Wild World with the help of a dotmap.

There's an app that lets you import images and gives you the palette and grid for it. It's how I did my designs for my wall.

I'll check tomorrow if I can make the hats when the store opens.

Astra

SO THAT'S WHO YOU ARE!

I've been asking myself this entire time "Who is this General guy? I remember he's from GAF, but who is he?!" NOW I FINALLY REMEMBER! Thank you, God!

Haha. Why didn't you just message me and ask, instead of torturing yourself as to my identity?!

Ah well, the mystery of the great general has been solved.

Astra

If I knew who it was, it wouldn't have been a mystery. ;_; I had no idea where to start.

Message me on PSN, silly. I could have told you "I'm JohnLacke" and all would have been well and right.

Then we would have shot the shit about Persona, because we're all about being on topic.

Firefox for Android kind of sucks when browsing GAF. It's all jittery while I write my reply.
My reply about Persona.
I like steak.

There's an app that lets you import images and gives you the palette and grid for it. It's how I did my designs for my wall.

I'll check tomorrow if I can make the hats when the store opens.

you can (one of the basic starter patterns is a guide for hat making) but i'm not sure how in-depth it actually is. most of what i've seen floating around the web are just skullcaps.

Astra

Me too :)

And I really like Persona.

And I really like The Last of Us.

I am enjoying it a lot. I'm not getting as much time to play it as I would like. Luckily I have nothing to do tomorrow, so I am going to spend all day marathoning as much as I can.

Persona. I played a few hours of P4G tonight. Having Persona on handheld systems us great for being able to play in bed. P5 on Vita please!
Not really. Though I wouldn't object too much. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom