• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
but Animal Crossing: New Leaf is clearly this month's game of the month.
I agree because this is what I'm wearing right now:

tumblr_mopf2wng8t1qhp6tuo1_400.jpg

Sophia

well, he changes the element to a random one every couple of turn, how am I supposed to know which persona to use?

Use Makarakarn if you have it. With Quad Coverage, he only uses the element he's powered up. You can also possibly defend one attack after Quad Coverage to see, if your protagonist has the HP to eat it . And as usual keep your defensive buffs up!

Also, Level 54-55 means you're slightly underleveled. You ideally want to be 60, as the boss is level 65.

Astra

well, he changes the element to a random one every couple of turn, how am I supposed to know which persona to use?

Doesn't he give a warning when he's about to do a change? If so, you just have to guard until he attacks, then you'll know what to switch to. If I recall correctly, he also becomes extremely weak to that same element, so be sure to attack him with it. Use a Magic Mirror if you have one, or if you have a Persona with the reflect skill (I forget what it's called), use that.

Meia

I don't get how people can be underleveled in P4, unless you're on Very Hard. Do people not clear every dungeon twice, the second for the optional boss? I've always found that just fighting *everything* in both dungeons like that I'm always at an appropriate level at the boss.

But ya, the strats peeps are posting are solid. Tarunda the boss and keep Rakunda up on yourselves if worse comes to worse. Always guard with everyone after a quad converge is cast til you know what you're facing that turn. Having a romantic interest in the fight late also helps a lil bit.

Sophia

You don't even need to clear the dungeons twice. I never do. You just need to not deliberately run from every fight just because you can. If you fight most battles, you should be within five levels of any boss in the game.

imBask

Banned
Use Makarakarn if you have it. With Quad Coverage, he only uses the element he's powered up. You can also possibly defend one attack after Quad Coverage to see, if your protagonist has the HP to eat it . And as usual keep your defensive buffs up!

Also, Level 54-55 means you're slightly underleveled. You ideally want to be 60, as the boss is level 65.

Doesn't he give a warning when he's about to do a change? If so, you just have to guard until he attacks, then you'll know what to switch to. If I recall correctly, he also becomes extremely weak to that same element, so be sure to attack him with it. Use a Magic Mirror if you have one, or if you have a Persona with the reflect skill (I forget what it's called), use that.

alright i'll try again tonight and see what I can do, problem is I might have to grind for both my levels and most likely for my personas to get the necessary resist/spells. i've been using Black Frost for a while now, since the last dungeon was piss easy. grinding both is a complete turn off for me at this point in the game, ughhh... thanks

imBask

Banned
I don't get how people can be underleveled in P4, unless you're on Very Hard. Do people not clear every dungeon twice, the second for the optional boss? I've always found that just fighting *everything* in both dungeons like that I'm always at an appropriate level at the boss.

I don't lol, I looooove the story and the social links but the dungeons just feel really repetitive and straight forward

i'm not a die-hard JRPG player though

Astra

alright i'll try again tonight and see what I can do, problem is I might have to grind for both my levels and most likely for my personas to get the necessary resist/spells. i've been using Black Frost for a while now, since the last dungeon was piss easy. grinding both is a complete turn off for me at this point in the game, ughhh... thanks

I hear ya, I hate grinding as well. Your best best would be to just run through the dungeon again, exploring the entirety of each floor and fighting all enemies. You should gain the levels and gold you need.

Luckily you have the fusion search to help out in getting the proper Persona.

What difficulty are you on?

imBask

Banned
I hear ya, I hate grinding as well. Your best best would be to just run through the dungeon again, exploring the entirety of each floor and fighting all enemies. You should gain the levels and gold you need.

Luckily you have the fusion search to help out in getting the proper Persona.

What difficulty are you on?

i'm guessing normal but it's hard for me since i've made poor decisions, p4g being my first persona game... didn't level the fox social link at all because I didn't know how to activate it...

because of that I can't really heal myself because the price is kinda ridiculous, so once i'm out of SP I have to leave the dungeon and come back the next day. I generally try to clear the dungeons in 2-3 days so that I don't lose to many days to do other stuff, also i'm pretty sure i've missed about 90% of the stuff I could do in this game and I didn't ask for any help until the last dungeon haha. People told me to get Black Frost because he was OP and I stuck with him until now, but I have no backup plans/backup personas

This is one of the things I hate about this game, the fact that everything is on a timeline so if you miss something then you're screwed... it's a pretty cool concept, but it's not very friendly to new players

Yeah in my first playthrough I think I only beat a couple of sub bosses. Don't think I was underleveled except for the first couple of dungeons. Shouldn't take long to gain a couple of levels though, sounds like persona fusing might make the difference in this case. Can't remember what I used at that point in the game, except I had Makarakarn and did pretty much what these guys said. And Mind Charge is awesome.

The more I see/hear of the new Persona the more I dislike it. Aigis really let herself go.

imBask

Banned
Yeah in my first playthrough I think I only beat a couple of sub bosses. Don't think I was underleveled except for the first couple of dungeons. Shouldn't take long to gain a couple of levels though, sounds like persona fusing might make the difference in this case. Can't remember what I used at that point in the game, except I had Makarakarn and did pretty much what these guys said. And Mind Charge is awesome.

The more I see/hear of the new Persona the more I dislike it. Aigis really let herself go.

I have mind charge, but how can I get Makarakarn? any persona who has it that you guys would recommend?

I generally listen to music or podcasts when grinding.

thing is I don't want a second job when I get home, I want to have fun since my gaming time is limited and i'm interested in many many games

Meia

i'm guessing normal but it's hard for me since i've made poor decisions, p4g being my first persona game... didn't level the fox social link at all because I didn't know how to activate it...

because of that I can't really heal myself because the price is kinda ridiculous, so once i'm out of SP I have to leave the dungeon and come back the next day. I generally try to clear the dungeons in 2-3 days so that I don't lose to many days to do other stuff, also i'm pretty sure i've missed about 90% of the stuff I could do in this game and I didn't ask for any help until the last dungeon haha. People told me to get Black Frost because he was OP and I stuck with him until now, but I have no backup plans/backup personas

This is one of the things I hate about this game, the fact that everything is on a timeline so if you miss something then you're screwed... it's a pretty cool concept, but it's not very friendly to new players

It is, but there's just some things to keep in mind when playing it. For example, and this may be one of your current problems, is you have to realize how your personas work is different than how your party member's ones work. Their level is their persona level, but your MC's level isn't his persona level. You know this I figure, but stats are tied to the personas in the MC's case. If you're level 55 and you're using a lv35 persona, then your stats are only based on a lv35 character, making you far weaker than you should be.

Without getting too power-gamery, just make sure you have personas that have each elemental attack so you can always hit a weakness if needed, have a persona specialized in healing(preferable that this one is one that has no weakness at all), and have whatever for buffing/debuffing. Unlike most RPGs these days, buffing/debuffing makes things worlds easier. Lowering a boss's attack will mean they hit you for 50 less a hit maybe, but then raising your defense on top of it means it'll lower the hit by 100 combined. The same works for lowering their accuracy and raising yours, and lowering their defense and raising your offense. You have your party members you run with, see what skills they have, see what holes you have based off of that, and patch them with the MC, it's why he can switch personas in the first place. Just make sure your personas are NEVER more than 6 or 7 levels lower than the MC. With social links, they should really never be much lower than the MC in the first place.

Biggest advice for boss fights is also make sure you're at least attacking with 2 characters a turn if you can. The longer a boss fight goes, the worse it's going to be for you.

imBask

Banned
Biggest advice for boss fights is also make sure you're at least attacking with 2 characters a turn if you can. The longer a boss fight goes, the worse it's going to be for you.

I generally try to get at least 3 to attack, but yeah I get your post... i'm not really into buff/debuffs but I guess i'll have to work a little more with it from now on, and that means i'll have to grind some personas because i'm pretty poor on that side right now, I literally have nothing but Black Frost at a decent enough level to fight lol

gotta grind a little I guess heh, but as I said grinding isn't that easy since my fox costs wayyyy too much for me to heal

Lilith has it natively, and she's level 53, meaning she's in the dungeon you're in.

alright i'll go for that one tonight

thank you people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom