• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Reading the latest 999 LTTP thread has reminded me how I really, really loved Persona 2: IS' ending.

Regardless of all of the effort the characters go through... No matter how hard they fought and tried to save the world, it's all for naught. You beat the final boss, but that doesn't matter AT ALL because he's not something that can be defeated. Maya dies and the world gets destroyed anyways and I love it.

It's funny, because even IS taken on its own has a happy ending; the world gets reborn. Maya lives on.

It's EP that makes it even darker.

Squire

Banned
Her laughing fits are awesome! Except the first time I played cuz it was usually during the evening and I woke some people up laughing alongside them. D:

Haha, they're wonderful. Very infectious. People don't give Yukiko enough credit. She very much has a personality, she's just typically reserved. I love Yosuke and Chie just as much if not more than the next man, but being in your face and ready to go at all times isn't an an instant win recipe for a good character. It seems quiet or reserved characters are often read as "boring". That's something keeping games from exploring subtlety. Subtlety is so very underrated.

Noi

yucock.jpg

Daimaou

PersonaGAF, please help me! I'm working on a drawing and I need to know who are your top five female, playable characters in Persona? Out of P1,P2IS/EP,P3/p3p/FES, and P4/P4G. No Arena, for this drawing.

1. Eriko
2. Yukiko
3. Rise
4. Lisa
5. Mitsuru

That was actually pretty hard, I don't really dislike any of the Persona cast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It makes it more realistic and makes the characters more believable and alive, I hope there are non datable people like that in P5

Please, you should have been there on the rebound
scumbagminako.jpg

You can damn well bet Yosuke would have been dateable if they did it with 4.

Dantis

Haha, they're wonderful. Very infectious. People don't give Yukiko enough credit. She very much has a personality, she's just typically reserved. I love Yosuke and Chie just as much if not more than the next man, but being in your face and ready to go at all times isn't an an instant win recipe for a good character. It seems quiet or reserved characters are often read as "boring". That's something keeping games from exploring subtlety. Subtlety is so very underrated.

...Or maybe she's just boring.

:p

Dantis

Easily my least favourite party member across P3 and P4. As I've said before, I see her as boring, mean and aloof. Every other character has various scenes which portray them as a nice person. Pretty sure Yukiko has none.

I have no idea why people like her so much. Is laughing at random intervals really that endearing?

(As an aside, my second least favourite character in Fuuka. She's bland and boring too (She's also mega generic), but at least she's undeniably nice)

Soma

Hoo boy. Just finished up the
Sky Museum/King Leo battle
part of Innocent Sin.

Man that was intense. Maya definitely moving up the rankings.

Daimaou

Easily my least favourite party member across P3 and P4. As I've said before, I see her as boring, mean and aloof. Every other character has various scenes which portray them as a nice person. Pretty sure Yukiko has none.

I have no idea why people like her so much. Is laughing at random intervals really that endearing?

(As an aside, my second least favourite character in Fuuka. She's bland and boring too (She's also mega generic), but at least she's undeniably nice)

We've had this discussion briefly before, but I still have no idea how you find her mean. Chie and Yosuke are both far more mean spirited. I'll agree that her character is pretty rote outside of her odd sense of humor, but she's still pretty relatable.

Dantis

Any mean-spiritedness that Chie and Yosuke have is cancelled out by the numerous times they're shown to be decent people. Yukiko has lots of moments where she's mean-spirited for the sake of comedy scenes, but no redemption.

To list a few (Major spoilers)
She slaps Yosuke for the studying thing. She laughs at Kanji dressing properly in the epilogue. She kicks Kanji into the river. She gets the bath house times in the Amagi hotel wrong, and then just laughs it off.
Pretty sure there are more on top of that, right? And in every one, she's just like "WHOOPS! HAHAHAHAHAH!". You can say "Well she's just awkward and absent minded", but that doesn't excuse it. If Yosuke thought Kanji was coming onto him, and punched Kanji for it, would the same excuse apply?

Squire

Banned
We've had this discussion briefly before, but I still have no idea how you find her mean. Chie and Yosuke are both far more mean spirited. I'll agree that her character is pretty rote outside of her odd sense of humor, but she's still pretty relatable.

Yeah, that's a good point. Yosuke goes out of his way to antagonize Kanji. If anyone's mean, it's him. I don't know. Still sounds like a misread of her personality.

Noi

Finally reached February in P4G. GAF wouldn't load so I'm just gonna go over everything.

Snowflakes is fantastic. I'm so glad I never heard it before I got to it in-game.

Every single group event between beating Ameno-sagiri and the ski trip was great. I had some Yukiko-level snrks coming out of me at quite a few moments in them.

Speaking of Yukiko:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Finally, Marie's dungeon is fuckin' weird.

Daimaou

Any mean-spiritedness that Chie and Yosuke have is cancelled out by the numerous times they're shown to be decent people. Yukiko has lots of moments where she's mean-spirited for the sake of comedy scenes, but no redemption.

To list a few (Major spoilers)
She slaps Yosuke for the studying thing. She laughs at Kanji dressing properly in the epilogue. She kicks Kanji into the river. She gets the bath house times in the Amagi hotel wrong, and then just laughs it off.
Pretty sure there are more on top of that, right? And in every one, she's just like "WHOOPS! HAHAHAHAHAH!". You can say "Well she's just awkward and absent minded", but that doesn't excuse it. If Yosuke thought Kanji was coming onto him, and punched Kanji for it, would the same excuse apply?

She apologizes afterwards. She's not the only one (not an excuse, I know). Nosebleeds are taken as a sign of arousal in Japan, and is a similar circumstance to the first one. Being absentminded isn't the same as mean.

Like I said, I have no idea why you find her so mean.

I don't know, I guess I should say that I'm not really trying to convince you otherwise, I'm just genuinely sort of baffled by someone having such a different character interpretation than I have for her.

Dantis

She apologizes afterwards. She's not the only one (not an excuse, I know). Nosebleeds are taken as a sign of arousal in Japan, and is a similar circumstance to the first one. Being absentminded isn't the same as mean.

Like I said, I have no idea why you find her so mean.

I don't know, I guess I should say that I'm not really trying to convince you otherwise, I'm just genuinely sort of baffled by someone having such a different character interpretation than I have for her.

I would disagree. And even if we agreed, they can still be seen as negative points, right? And like I say, she never redeems herself. She's nice to Nanako and Narukami, and that's about it.

I am curious though, how would you describe her?

Dantis

There's no malice aforethought yo. She's ditzy but she ain't mean.

I agree with this. It's not malicious, it's just inconsiderate.

That doesn't make it okay, and like I keep saying, she doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Yosuke and Chie both do actually mean things, but have numerous scenes where they go out of their way to be nice.

Jintor

Man, people ain't math. Ain't a case of two parts negative being balanced out by two parts positive or somethin' like that.

Daimaou

I would disagree. And even if we agreed, they can still be seen as negative points, right? And like I say, she never redeems herself. She's nice to Nanako and Narukami, and that's about it.

I am curious though, how would you describe her?

Timid, but hard working and caring -- in a nutshell, at least.

As far as negative points and redemption go, people have faults. They make mistakes. Intent and motivation are just as important as the action itself. I'm having a hard time putting this into words, but like Jintor said, trying to boil people down to positive and negative karma doesn't really give you an accurate portrayal of a person.

Yukiko S. Link spoiler
It's worth noting that I have a bit of bias due to also having to struggle with agency. For medical reasons, I don't have a lot of control over the direction of my own life either. So seeing her seize control of her own, even if it was to ultimately stay at the inn with her loved ones, resonated pretty strongly with me. Being able to make a choice, and say you made that choice, means a lot.

Bleh, it took me far too long to put this into words.

Dantis

Mmmm, I agree that she's hard-working, but when does she ever show that she's caring? And it's not like the intent when she does all those stupid things is a positive one. At best, it's inconsiderate and air-headed, at worst it's mean. It interesting that that's how you feel about her though.

As an aside, I just want to make sure that we're all on the same page: I'm just discussing this for fun. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's favourite character and/or upset them. ;)

Daimaou

Mmmm, I agree that she's hard-working, but when does she ever show that she's caring? And it's not like the intent when she does all those stupid things is a positive one. At best, it's inconsiderate and air-headed, at worst it's mean. It interesting that that's how you feel about her though.

As an aside, I just want to make sure that we're all on the same page: I'm just discussing this for fun. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's favourite character and/or upset them. ;)

I don't remember offhand if it's during her S Link or if it's during the festival at the shrine, but when you make a wish together she says her wish is for everyone.

And don't worry about it, different people react differently to characters, I'm just surprised our interpretations are so different.

I don't remember offhand if it's during her S Link or if it's during the festival at the shrine, but when you make a wish together she says her wish is for everyone.

And don't worry about it, different people react differently to characters, I'm just surprised our interpretations are so different.

She clearly wished for everyone....to pay higher taxes and pop all their scooter's tires.

Moonlight

Banned
PersonaGAF, please help me! I'm working on a drawing and I need to know who are your top five female, playable characters in Persona? Out of P1,P2IS/EP,P3/p3p/FES, and P4/P4G. No Arena, for this drawing.
Well, depending on what you mean by 'playable'...

1. Rise
  2. Yukari
  3. FeMC (P3P)
  4. Naoto
  5. Chie

If you mean literally playable:

1. Yukari
  2. FeMC
  3. Naoto
  4. Chie
  5. Aigis

Dantis

I think it's pretty cool that we can have different interpretations to be honest. In most games, you don't get to see what a character is like in their day to day life, but in Persona you do. It means that you can interpret it in different ways.

Either way, that one thing isn't enough for me to agree that Yukiko is a caring person. Everyone else has something significant that they do for someone else(Often more than one), but with Yukiko, it's stretching it to find anything.

I guess I feel like a lot of her love comes from the fact that she's the game's 'attractive' (To the extent that this applies to an anime picture) character, in the same way that people love Mitsuru, when, as a character, she was actually rather bland and uninteresting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom