• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

YUS!

AZb6aXz.png

Sophia

Now you've got my expectations up. Getting EP on PSN day one.

Wow, setting the bar high with that statement!

Of course, it always comes with an IMO, but I'd rank Persona 2 among my favorites for story in a video game. The villains in particular are amazing.

And yeah, I agree with Flux, probably not the best idea to play EP before IS. It is possible, but you'll be confused and reliant on flashbacks. ><;

Sophia

Hmm...
Yeah. I can go with this.

Soul Hackers is #2, Nocturne is #3.

I could agree with Soul Hackers as #2, but to be honest I can't rate Nocturne up there in terms of an actual story because of the minimalist approach it takes. There's a lot better even among the Megami Tensei franchise.

cj_iwakura

I could agree with Soul Hackers as #2, but to be honest I can't rate Nocturne up there in terms of an actual story because of the minimalist approach it takes. There's a lot better even among the Megami Tensei franchise.

The core story is minimalist, but the motives of the characters puts it way up there. The sparse dialogue characters like Yuko, Hikawa, and Chiaki get are more intriguing than paragraphs of dialogue from most JRPG characters.

Noi

Better a minimalist approach than all the inane babble that a lot of JRPGs spew just to make themselves look deep.

Sophia

Better a minimalist approach than all the inane babble that a lot of JRPGs spew just to make themselves look deep.

True. While Nocturne isn't a case of this, I often times find that a minimalist approach is just a cop-out for the writers not being good enough to write a real story. So I'm a bit biased.

cj_iwakura

Someone here's a photoshop-guru, I hope? I'm going to start work on the Soul Hackers OT soon, and I want it to be slightly shinier than what I can do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nevermind, misread.

Suffice it to say I think P2's system was the best even if it still had the negotiation system.

Sophia

Disagree. Tarot cards you can stock up and blow through high-level Personae if you have the levels. No need to fuse, which is nice.

I like the fusion system, but at the same time I'm kinda tired of having to "guess" if I'm going to get my inherited skills and personae I want, you know?

Anything that requires me to successfully negotiate more than once for a demon/persona is an awful system. I don't mind the act of negotiating, but just give me what I want out of it. Cut out the middle man, essentially.

May the tarot cards forever stay in the fire that they were tossed into to die. >.<

And you don't really have to guess. There are set patterns to what is and isn't inherited. The only negative element was junk skills, and those are gone with Persona 4 Golden.

Anything that requires me to successfully negotiate more than once for a demon/persona is an awful system. I don't mind the act of negotiating, but just give me what I want out of it. Cut out the middle man, essentially.

May the tarot cards forever stay in the fire that they were tossed into to die. >.<

And you don't really have to guess. There are set patterns to what is and isn't inherited. The only negative element was junk skills, and those are gone with Persona 4 Golden.

sophia pls

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, I agree the nego's was reptitive but it was nice to be able to avoid battle AND stock up on cards for fusion if you knew the right answers. Basically once you knew the two (or three) right answers and fall back answers to get them happy/eager for cards/joining you you were golden.

Sophia

sophia pls

No! Cards! Bad! Gone! Forever! Shoooo!

Eh, I agree the nego's was reptitive but it was nice to be able to avoid battle AND stock up on cards for fusion if you knew the right answers. Basically once you knew the two (or three) right answers and fall back answers to get them happy/eager for cards/joining you you were golden.

I do like the negotiations for the other stuff, it was really just the farming of cards needed. I wouldn't mind seeing negotiations returning for P5, and expanded upon.

P3/P4:
You know with all these shadows suddenly developing personalities here and there, I wouldn't be surprised if Negotiation came back that way.

Personal guess here: I'm thinking EP will be $10 rather than $6, because usually the $10 games tend to be RPGs (MGS and RE1 aside, off the top of my head)

Jintor

if atlus usa isn't publishing it (and EP isn't published by Atlus USA in AU) I bet it will be $49.95 here dropping to $45 after half a year (WHAT A STEAL) thanks to GHOSTLIGHT

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm 21 hours into Persona 3. Loving it. Matter of fact, I like it almost as much as P4.

Thanks to those who recommended the FES version.

Omikaru

if atlus usa isn't publishing it (and EP isn't published by Atlus USA in AU) I bet it will be $49.95 here dropping to $45 after half a year (WHAT A STEAL) thanks to GHOSTLIGHT

I doubt Ghostlight are going to bother with a PSone classic, and I doubt Atlus are going to bother with them. It seems Atlus USA only look for a local publisher if they want to get a physical copy out. Failing that, or if they don't even want to do a physical release, they normally just get the game rated and digitally released in PAL territories themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom