• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
It's not just P2 that's a tad overpriced, a lot of PSP games are way too much on PSN still. Sony needs to lower the prices on PSP games considering the back catalogue is one of the biggest draws to the Vita.

Definitely agreed. All those games should be $10. $15 at max.

Omikaru

I do hope Atlus have an increased presence in the console domain in the next generation than they did in the current one. They only released 1.5 console games this generation in the 7-8 years it lasted.

Handhelds are great and all, but the games for those are naturally smaller in scale. With an internal engine that they developed for the next Persona game hopefully being made primarily for console development, I hope we see some more ambitious titles from them.
Largely agree, but I don't think this generation is over yet. I still maintain that P5, at the very least, will be current gen.

I'll post what I said about the "Unusal circumstances" from the other thread.
I mean, that's not even an explanation, that's dancing around the issue. Nich pls.

Good luck getting an answer from him on here. He's in self-imposed GAF exile.

omgkitty

Largely agree, but I don't think this generation is over yet. I still maintain that P5, at the very least, will be current gen.

It's really mind blowing that the last Persona game came out on the PS2 and we are about to get new consoles, but then again, that was in 2008 when the PS3 had already been out a couple of years.

Omikaru

That makes sense since P3 and P4 came out on last generation hardware when they were released.
It's really mind blowing that the last Persona game came out on the PS2 and we are about to get new consoles, but then again, that was in 2008 when the PS3 had already been out a couple of years.

Yup. Maybe it'll be "next-gen" inasmuch as Wii U is next-gen. It wouldn't surprise me if a version for that console was added to the inevitable PS3 and extremely likely 360 versions. But I have a hunch that PS4 and Durango are not getting it.

Noi

All I want for P5 is for it to have Catherine's graphic style (or an improvement of). It's sooooooooo good.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I've said that I don't think P5 will be a 3DS game, but I'm also pretty confident that it will at least be a PS3 title, so I guess that would be more output for the current generation although it would create a similar P3/P4 situation.

Trigger

All I want for P5 is for it to have Catherine's graphic style (or an improvement of). It's sooooooooo good.

Yesssssss

I'm ready for next gen graphics. The team has an almost guaranteed smash on their hands thanks to P4's success. They shouldn't hold back.

FluxWaveZ

I'd love that, but I wonder if Atlus has enough manpower to make something the scale of P3 and P4 in that style.

Well, the Persona Team is composed of 120+ people taking Persona 4 staff credits into account along with the large number of people they hired in 2011.

Persona 5's preliminary development (whatever that means) was finished in 2011, so I guess that means the game's been in development for approximately 3 years now.

Guess we'd just need another game that fits the style we think Persona 5 will resemble to compare.

Squire

Banned
Persona 5's preliminary development (whatever that means) was finished in 2011, so I guess that means the game's been in development for approximately 3 years now.

Preliminary development is pre-production. It's making sure you know and are (relatively) comfortable with what you're making before you make it.

You figure out the general game structure, your plot, your characters; you basically just plan and draw and record goals and concepts.

Alpha is the next stage where you actually start development, but for a game like Persona I'm sure the pre-prod phase can be quite long from game to game.

FluxWaveZ

Alright, thanks. So preliminary development is basically concept and design doc. stuff...

Given the fact that all Hashino had to say in August 2012 about the "next numbered entry" in the Persona series is that Soejima submitted sketches (and that the game was making progress), I wonder just how far they are.

Jintor

Especially if they're using an engine they're familiar with. Raw asset creation is grueling, but comparative to pre-prod it's probably more akin to gruntwork

Dantis

Every time Persona 5 becomes the topic of discussion in here, I get feelings of trepidation.

I really wish they'd just show it so that I can know what to expect. At least then if it's not what I want then I'll know. And if it is, I can bounce around the room like a child.

FluxWaveZ

Especially if they're using an engine they're familiar with. Raw asset creation is grueling, but comparative to pre-prod it's probably more akin to gruntwork

Yeah, I was going to say something like that. Since they stated that they completed their internal engine in August 2011—at the same time as they said they finished preliminary development—with which "Hashino believes that converting their ideas into game form will go considerably smooth," I suppose that could mean that they made a lot of progress in the two years after that with which they've had to develop the game.

Squire

Banned

Not to mention the type of assets they make. I mean even if P5 looks like Catherind through and through, look at Catherine: No one broke their back making those models, haha.

FluxWaveZ

Not to mention the type of assets they make. I mean even if P5 looks like Catherind through and through, look at Catherine: No one broke their back making those models, haha.

It's fun looking at the Catherine credits and the Persona 4 credits and seeing some inevitable cross-over. Seems that P4 had 7 people on 3D modeling while Catherine had 5.

The Persona 4 staff was around 120 people... The size of the Catherine team (2009-2011) was about 100-120 people. In 2009, it was said that the Persona Team split into two groups with one group working on P3P and the other working on Catherine. Supposedly, in 2010, the two separate groups started to merge again to work on Persona 5.

So, that must mean that the Persona Team is actually pretty big now, being able to work on multiple projects at once and stuff. Seeing that Hashino said that the whole team is focused on P5 in August 2012, I guess it could be possible that 1.5 to 2 times the number of people who worked on Catherine are working on Persona 5. This would explain why the "P Team" was officially trademarked in October 2012, showing that that one team would be important enough for their own name, logo and trademark.

Trigger

HD Risette yessssssssss

Also, I have the lingering fear we won't see anything about Persona 5 for at least a year :( I hope I'm not right.

This isn't positive thinking. March will be upon us and news about P5 will be released in Famitsu. All according to plan.

Dantis

So here's something interesting that I just read:

Apparently, when Lotus Juice went to record Mass Destruction, he heard the instrumental and loved it, but was unhappy that he had to rap someone else's lyrics. Meguro let him just loop the track for 30 minutes or so and he re-wrote the lyrics on the spot, and that's what's in the game.

That's pretty amazing.

No one's volunteered yet, so that'd be great.

Cool beans. When will you be putting the OT up?

I bought that Lotus Juice album, it's great.

I think I'll buy the Meguro track. When it started I was like "This doesn't sound like Meguro...", and then the guitars and piano kicked in and I was just like "Oh SNAP".

This has been the highlight of my day.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Still pretty early in the year, I figure some news will start coming out once SMTIV hits Japanese shelves or something.

If we don't hear anything in the March Famitsu, I'm banking that we won't until next year. That's how it's been for 3 and 4.

Squire

Banned
If we don't hear anything in the March Famitsu, I'm banking that we won't until next year. That's how it's been for 3 and 4.

They weren't in the middle of promoting another major Atlus game though. I think SMTIV could push s P5 announcement out of March, but I'm not comfortable saying it rules out 2013 in general. I'm banking on summer, maybe even close to TGS.

They weren't in the middle of promoting another major Atlus game though. I think SMTIV could push s P5 announcement out of March, but I'm not comfortable saying it rules out 2013 in general. I'm banking on summer, maybe even close to TGS.

I'd agree with the idea that if it's not in March, it'll probably be next year-- but mostly because of the stuff that they're coming out with this year.

Which, hey, if it means more polish, I'm all for it, believe me. I want to see it ASAP, but at the same time, I want the game to be as refined and fantastic as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom