• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Jintor

Eh, I kinda think those were the only things that made it challenging.

Even with that most encounters that weren't FOEs are just kinda... there. FOEs were fun but other than a select few most can be figured out first time if you know what to do. Plus panic. Oh panic.

I honestly can't think of a non-turn-based-tactics RPG where I really, honestly enjoyed the battle system and didn't just do my best to break the damn thing in half as fast as possible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh don't get me wrong.

Breaking the shit out of games is it's own special little fun.

If there's one thing I would change for the sequel is to make light/dark not so powerful, because the normal encounters inconsequential.

Jintor

I kinda feel like the game expects you to just insta-kill everything because otherwise it would be unimaginably 3x as tedious

Zareka

(Question about 5th dungeon puzzles) How do the
pistons
work? Do they reset if you use things like Goba-K? I'm stuck on one of the puzzles on the later floors but there doesn't seem to be any way to get back down a floor, due to the
spider web FOE
. I think one of them's (not the FOE) blocking a set of stairs but again, I can't get back down a floor to test it out.

Hell, return items probably won't even help in this case. I'm just clueless as to how these damn things work.

Ourobolus

Banned
(Question about 5th dungeon puzzles) How do the
pistons
work? Do they reset if you use things like Goba-K? I'm stuck on one of the puzzles on the later floors but there doesn't seem to be any way to get back down a floor, due to the
spider web FOE
. I think one of them's blocking a set of stairs but again, I can't get back down a floor to test it out.

Hell, return items probably won't even help in this case. I'm just clueless as to how these damn things work.

They stay in whatever state they're in until you leave the dungeon.

I finally started playing this game a couple days ago, and I'm already getting towards the end of the second labyrinth. I didn't expect it to hook me as much as it has, but it seems to be pretty fun, but it really is challenging, because I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage in combat so I gotta stay on my toes.

The story has kept me interested so far, but I feel like I got one complaint that they've taken for the direction of the Persona 4 characters...I noticed this in P4G as well recently. In the original P4, I feel like this wasn't played nearly as hard, but I just feel like they really play how the girls HATE Yosuke, Kanji, and Teddie way too much. Like, it just almost seems hostile levels, where when I played original P4, they all seemed like caring friends who liked being around each other, but in P4G, and this game, it just seems like they keep adding dialogue which puts them down a lot. One thing that comes to mind is how Rise called Kanji "Moron-ji" in P4G, which didn't sit well with me. Teddie is also way overplayed with his pervyness towards girls, and I feel like we never saw them act so disinterested in Teddie like they do in this game.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest, because it is something that hasn't been sitting well with me as a big fan of the original.

Jintor

I dunno bro I think friendly insults is a great indicator of friendship. Maybe that's cos I'm Australian though and calling someone a bastard is practically the same as calling them your brother

I dunno bro I think friendly insults is a great indicator of friendship. Maybe that's cos I'm Australian though and calling someone a bastard is practically the same as calling them your brother

Among Bros, and dude friends, I can see that...but when girls say that to guys, I don't see it as a friendly insult as much. Just seems like their comments are mean spirited, and doesn't fit with the tone I remember in original P4.

Jintor

Rise is your classic 'more comfortable she is with you the pointier her barbs get' personality and Yukiko and Chie I think sort of pick up on that the more they hang together, so I think it's pretty usual really

Redhood

So this game is pretty brutal on normal. Reached floor 2 of
wonderland
and my entire parties are getting wiped out at full health. Had no problem with Persona 4 Golden on normal. Is there a retry option?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am exploiting the elemental or physical weaknesses. I cannot find SP restoration or re raising items.

Zareka

Question for those who played on Risky: how difficult did you find completing
the last few, post game requests? (Final Liz fight and the Reaper)
I'm asking because I just finished my P3 run and had to do an absolute ton of Safety grinding for them. Now I want to start a P4 run on NG+ so I can
fight the Velvet Room siblings
, but I don't want to gimp my run by being overlevelled. I'd prefer to leave all my bonuses behind while still playing on the same file.

The one thing keeping me is that I know by playing on Risky I won't be able to turn down the difficulty, which could make future grinding a problem. At the same time, I want to do those
endgame requests
. Is it difficult to complete them without grinding? How doable is it on Risky? Thanks for any answers.

The other alternative would be to play normally on my P4 run and then do a third run with all my bonuses, but that would take ages.

//ARCANUM

Is there an agreed upon best party? I'm currently rolling with:

P4MC
P3MC
Naoto
Aigis
Yukari

Would love any advice on possibly enhancing my party. I'm at the beginning of the second labyrinth. Thanks!

Yeah, the guys cop a lot of abuse, haha. I was playing with the Elizabeth voice pack on and Yosuke took heavy damage. She says "Yosuke's health is very low! But not as low as my opinion of him."

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Thinking about picking this game up. I finished P3 and P4, and loved them both.
P4 is top 3 GOAT JRPGs, duh

I purchased EO4 a couple of years ago and made it to the third land, before my save file corrupted - and I never restarted the game. I liked the game, the combat and battle setup, but the story line and characters were nonexistent.

So is this game basically Eterian Oddssey with a real story and characters? How does the combat compare to that of the Pesona RPG games?

jrcbandit

Is there an agreed upon best party? I'm currently rolling with:

P4MC
P3MC
Naoto
Aigis
Yukari

Would love any advice on possibly enhancing my party. I'm at the beginning of the second labyrinth. Thanks!

I'm in the same situation but I started as a P4 team. My lineup is P4MC, Chie, Kanji, Naoto, and Zen/Rei. Naoto is key for dealing with random encounters of course. I made an Incubus for her with panic skills. With panic is there even a need for binds?

I was thinking of mixing in at least one P3 character, primarily Aigis, but I dunno who to replace. What role does she play other than tank and should she be in the back row taking Zen's spot?

I do have the P3 navigator now for combat healing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally unlocked
Skill Card Extraction

Probably a dumb question but:
If I skill card extract, the Personae aren't removed from the compendium are they?
Elizabeth says they're "lost forever" which makes me kinda leery about using it, but I don't think Atlus would be that much of a dick would they?

Further: When's
Marvel--er--Marie's Skill Card buying stuff? Next floor?

Setsu00

Finally unlocked
Skill Card Extraction

Probably a dumb question but:
If I skill card extract, the Personae aren't removed from the compendium are they?
Elizabeth says they're "lost forever" which makes me kinda leery about using it, but I don't think Atlus would be that much of a dick would they?

Further: When's
Marvel--er--Marie's Skill Card buying stuff? Next floor?

(1)
Yes. You will lose the current form of the Persona you have in your inventory, but the entry in the compendium stays.

(2)
Marie has nothing to do with the skill cards in Q. She's the one responsible for the streetpass business here.

TheSeks

(2)
Marie has nothing to do with the skill cards in Q. She's the one responsible for the streetpass business here.

Wait what? I thought Elizabeth was in charge of that?

TheSeks

Well, that's a bummer. Not sure what point they have in the game then. Really no function since I don't Streetpass because LOL RURAL AMERICA AMIRITE?

In other news: holy shit the fourth floor of the third dugneon. Are you fucking kidding me?
Run from a Doll FOE only to get caught by a baby FOE
. I'm assuming the way around this is to
fight the damn Doll that chases you through about 80% of the goddamn floor
only the goddamn
doll is nigh invincible despite being nearly weak to EVERY GODDAMN THING.

I guess this is the "I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL" moment for Persona Q?

Well, that's a bummer. Not sure what point they have in the game then. Really no function since I don't Streetpass because LOL RURAL AMERICA AMIRITE?

In other news: holy shit the fourth floor of the third dugneon. Are you fucking kidding me?
Run from a Doll FOE only to get caught by a baby FOE
. I'm assuming the way around this is to
fight the damn Doll that chases you through about 80% of the goddamn floor
only the goddamn
doll is nigh invincible despite being nearly weak to EVERY GODDAMN THING.

I guess this is the "I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL" moment for Persona Q?

Think forcefields in a different area...

Finally hit the final boss and JESUS GODDAMN WHAT THE HELL. The difficulty spike is huge, and in the worse possible way: "did you fill your entire inventory with SP and revive items? No? Enjoy wasting an hour of your life until we finally tell you you've lost this battle!" And this after two of the most tedious and lengthy dungeons in the whole game. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

If this is what all Etrian Odyssey games are like, I should just set all of mine on fire.

spiritfox

Finally hit the final boss and JESUS GODDAMN WHAT THE HELL. The difficulty spike is huge, and in the worse possible way: "did you fill your entire inventory with SP and revive items? No? Enjoy wasting an hour of your life until we finally tell you you've lost this battle!" And this after two of the most tedious and lengthy dungeons in the whole game. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

If this is what all Etrian Odyssey games are like, I should just set all of mine on fire.

Sleep or Panic him.

Sleep or Panic him.

Hilariously, I assumed that
because the first boss couldn't be panicked, the second one couldn't either.

In the end, I didn't even need it. Didn't once use SP items either. Once you actually know the strategy (and build your party to suit), it's pretty easy, but I wish the failure state didn't take so long to draw out and wasn't so seemingly reliant on specific builds (though I guess by that point
multi-target/multi-hit attacks should be on all your people anyways
).

I guess on some level it was more general fatigue with the game. The 80+ hours I spent in Persona Q didn't go by as fast as, say, P3 or P4. But I'm done now!

TheSeks

Someone explain the "Link" system to me, please.

I had:

Koromaru 1st: Flame Link
Akihiko 2nd: Frost Link
Ken 3rd: Flame Link
Minato: Attack
Seta: Support

And the three links don't stack, they just trigger one of them after the other? I thought these were supposed to stack given how much people raved about Links. :/

I think I should just get curse on everyone for the
second Elizabeth battle
because doing 30-60 damage for an additional 30-60 damage that doesn't stack for links is a bit... disappointing.

Someone explain the "Link" system to me, please.

I had:

Koromaru 1st: Flame Link
Akihiko 2nd: Frost Link
Ken 3rd: Flame Link
Minato: Attack
Seta: Support

And the three links don't stack, they just trigger one of them after the other? I thought these were supposed to stack given how much people raved about Links. :/

I think I should just get curse on everyone for the
second Elizabeth battle
because doing 30-60 damage for an additional 30-60 damage that doesn't stack for links is a bit... disappointing.

Different link elements don't stack, the numbered ones do. You want to have a setup like Flame Link (for example) paired with, say, Quadruple Link, and that will hit four times. Get Golden Link in there too and the power will go up every time.

TheSeks

So like: Flame Link->Flame Link won't stack? It's gotta be Flame Link->Golden Link?

spiritfox

So like: Flame Link->Flame Link won't stack? It's gotta be Flame Link->Golden Link?

Once you hit one enemy with a Link, the next attack hitting the enemy that turn (anything that damages other than another Link attack) will proc the Link and the enemy receives damage. Double (and above) Link increases the amount of times a Link will proc that turn, and Golden Link increases the damage everytime the Link procs that turn. Both are passives. Using another link will overwrite the previous link with this new link. Think of it like a DOT that procs on hit and only lasts that turn.

For example, Kanji goes first that turn, and throws down a Flame Link, which deals initial damage. Next, Yukiko uses Agi on the same enemy, dealing damage. The Flame Link from Kanji will proc, hitting for additional damage. Any other attacks will not proc the link anymore because Kanji doesn't have Double Link in this example.

TheSeks

So, is there skill cards for the double-link? And does the double-link stack?

Like:

Fire-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->All process and deal massive damage?

Ourobolus

Banned
So, is there skill cards for the double-link? And does the double-link stack?

Like:

Fire-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->Double-Link->All process and deal massive damage?

There are higher Link passive skills:
Double Link: Procs for the next 2 hits.
Triple Link: ** 3 hits.
Quadruple Link: ** 4 hits
Infinite Link: ** 8 hits.

So if you had Kanji attack with Flame Link, and he also has Quadruple Link, the next FOUR attacks that you damage that enemy with will be followed by a Link attack.

If Kanji also has Golden Link equipped, those Link attacks will do increasing amounts of damage.

Just beat the game a few minutes ago, great game! Nice ending, now I just gotta eventually do the Ngame + with P4 cast.

So glad I got that Playasia sale. 50% off the wild card edition! <3

I admit though, the game burned me out at Inaba Pride Exhibit to the point where I stopped playing for a week and a half. And The Haunted club house made me feel like a dumb ass, but became my favorite Labyrinth.

Now I just gotta play the fighting games and im up to date with the P3/P4 saga.

EDIT: Wait, wasn't there supposed to be a Velvet Room Bros. fight? did they stick with the P3/P4 tradition of making it a Ngame+ quest?

Ah, I thought you were talking about the sisters' fight. You don't get to fight Theo in this game.

I remember hearing about a fight involving all three of them from a friend. I did a quick google search and a guide on gamefaqs says that in order to do this fight you must:
Have a save file where both P3 and P4 sides have been cleared.

And I also found a video, dint watch all of it but I did confirm that you indeed fight the three of them.....as much as I would love to fight Theo, just thinking about redoing Inaba Pride exhibit again is just exhausting. Maybe if I dont go for 100% maps this time...

That arrangement for "The Battle for Everyone's Souls" ....I NEED IT!

EDIT: added spoiler tags, sorry, I keep thinking people playing Persona Q already know most of whats to come.

TheSeks

Dudes, spoilers. :/ Some of us aren't done. *cough* (Nah, I don't care)

That said I'm thinking I should just skip
the second Elizabeth battle
and finish the dungeon and come back later. I don't think it's a timed request so I can come back a few levels later and hopefully go toe to toe. Especially if I can find Personae's with
null Poison
beyond the one I already have. I don't think Curse or Links are going to do the job, links double so with the amount of people saying to go that route but them only doing 50-60 damage a pop. :/

I can fight the final boss but I'd like to complete my Enepedia (and maybe the compedium), does someone know how to drop the "Bug shell" from the Burning beetle (first dungeon) ?
If you have a good guide with this kind of information I'd really appreciate it :p

TheSeks

What's the idea behind getting the treasures trapped by FOE's in the fourth dungeon? It seems like they don't go down so easy. And
trying to play with Fire is is LITERALLY playing with fire with those red FOE's chasing you while you're trying to chase the green ones away.

I've got two I need to get before I can 100% the first floor. D:

Top Bottom