• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, nearly at the fourth floor of the second dungeon but the MP drain is getting to me. Ugh. When can I get MP regen on Fuuka? Ugh ugh ugh.

random25

Has this been mentioned? Persona Q will have a manga adaptation for both P3 and P4 side. Interesting.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/11/persona-q-is-getting-two-manga-one-for-p3-and-one-for-p4/

Well, nearly at the fourth floor of the second dungeon but the MP drain is getting to me. Ugh. When can I get MP regen on Fuuka? Ugh ugh ugh.

Just buy the Winged Sandals (?) item on the shop. Pretty cheap and lets you avoid those trap floors for a good amount of steps.

TheSeks

Just buy the Winged Sandals (?) item on the shop. Pretty cheap and lets you avoid those trap floors for a good amount of steps.

You misunderstand. I'm not running on traps (outside of mapping them and so far they're only on the first floor of the second dungeon). I'm running out of SP from normal battles. Like 3-5 battles of Ken/Koromaru wiping the floor with Medium instant-death spells and they're out. I can't fuse higher level Personae beyond 26 because LOL LEVEL LIMITS LOL and the Personaes I have don't seem to give a massive jump in MP bonuses. I just want my fucking Victory Cry back. ATLUS Y U NO VICTORY CRY.

random25

You misunderstand. I'm not running on traps (outside of mapping them and so far they're only on the first floor of the second dungeon). I'm running out of SP from normal battles. Like 3-5 battles of Ken/Koromaru wiping the floor with Medium instant-death spells and they're out. I can't fuse higher level Personae beyond 26 because LOL LEVEL LIMITS LOL and the Personaes I have don't seem to give a massive jump in MP bonuses. I just want my fucking Victory Cry back. ATLUS Y U NO VICTORY CRY.

Oh sorry :p

There's still Victory Cry in this game. Sadly, it does not work the same way the OP Victory Cry works lol. If you can beat an FOE at this time you might stack up some higher-leveled Personae that can give a good amount of HP and SP bonuses.

What the fuck is P4MC/Yu good at? He's ~level 29, and he's the only character of mine without any clear function. I can't decide on a good sub-Persona for him.

random25

What the fuck is P4MC/Yu good at? He's ~level 29, and he's the only character of mine without any clear function. I can't decide on a good sub-Persona for him.

He's the only character that has balanced stats throughout the game, though he inclines slightly more on the physical offense and defense side. I usually give him a sub-Persona with good physical movesets except for link skills because he's a little slow, and place him on front.

Mendrox

Stop being bad and finally use "Boost". Just attack till you crit them and then go broke. Use their weakness to get another free use and so on. I rarely had to go out of a dungeon for SP... this system is even too easy. Also Zen and Rei have SP recovery from the beginning (just for them) but they can also kick ass.

Finished the P4 main game with every request, 100% map floors, every chest and the optional boss fight at 48h 32min. Game was good, but Mudoo and Hama are too good for this game.

Laconic

Banned

What random said, plus the fact that he is not automatically killed by Dark if targeted, unlike Makoto. He is well-rounded, and thus makes a great third slotter for the 1st row.

Have Kanji do Dragon Cry, then have Yu attack. Kanji should have Triple and Golden Link. Though it does not hurt for Yu to have links as well. I went through the middle of the game with them both having a couple of elemental links plus Double. At the very least, Aegis would go after Yu, and proc a link. If I didn't want to wait a full round to Dragon [Cry] Install buff Kanji, he'd go after Yu, as well, netting both link attacks. Also, needless to say, if Yu hits an elemental weakness without getting hit the round prior, the back row can run links off of him too, since he'll go first next time.

Busaiku

Hurray, beat the game on Persona 3 side.
Shura Tensei is super good in the last battle.
Kanji with Shura Tensei, Heat Riser, and Dragon Cry/Power Charge is ridiculous.

PK Gaming

He's a physical attacker with good agility/luck and a very large SP pool.

Just place him in the front row and give him a physical oriented sub Persona. Due to his high SP, he can also make use out of costly SP skills. In my game, I set him up as a physical attacker / support.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Approaching the 30 hour mark and wearing out. It's the stupid FOEs that I have to slog through on some floors. I just don't see a way to avoid them, so I just attack and kill them, but it takes a while. Poison helps, but still takes a while.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Approaching the 30 hour mark and wearing out. It's the stupid FOEs that I have to slog through on some floors. I just don't see a way to avoid them, so I just attack and kill them, but it takes a while. Poison helps, but still takes a while.

You're skipping all the puzzles by doing this :(

random25

Well the purpose is really to avoid them. Yeah kill them if it's manageable, but the puzzles in thr game are to basically avoid them and progress through the floors faster without getting caught. But if you're beating those FOEs right now the latter part of the game becomes a breeze.

He's the only character that has balanced stats throughout the game, though he inclines slightly more on the physical offense and defense side. I usually give him a sub-Persona with good physical movesets except for link skills because he's a little slow, and place him on front.

What random said, plus the fact that he is not automatically killed by Dark if targeted, unlike Makoto. He is well-rounded, and thus makes a great third slotter for the 1st row.

Have Kanji do Dragon Cry, then have Yu attack. Kanji should have Triple and Golden Link. Though it does not hurt for Yu to have links as well. I went through the middle of the game with them both having a couple of elemental links plus Double. At the very least, Aegis would go after Yu, and proc a link. If I didn't want to wait a full round to Dragon [Cry] Install buff Kanji, he'd go after Yu, as well, netting both link attacks. Also, needless to say, if Yu hits an elemental weakness without getting hit the round prior, the back row can run links off of him too, since he'll go first next time.

He's a physical attacker with good agility/luck and a very large SP pool.

Just place him in the front row and give him a physical oriented sub Persona. Due to his high SP, he can also make use out of costly SP skills. In my game, I set him up as a physical attacker / support.

Thanks, y'all. I think my problem is that I'm focusing too strongly in having all of my elemental bases covered, which doesn't actually seem that useful. Having to maintain this balance is limiting what I can choose for Yu, and that's holding him back. Aside from Hama/Mudo, physical attacks seem infinitely better than magic.

lilty

Anyone have a link to a walkthrough for the final dungeon? I'm on the final floor, but I'm incredibly confused and lost.

TheSeks

Stop being bad and finally use "Boost". Just attack till you crit them and then go broke. Use their weakness to get another free use and so on.

WHOOSH goes the point over your head.

And how do you get that BOOST? Oh, by spending SP on the weaknesses of which I'm burning the SP bonus the Personae's equipped give you and don't recharge back up at the end of the battle to where you can continue to Medium Mudo/Hama people to death.

HENCE THE PROBLEM. I run out of SP constantly "exploiting the boost system" as you're telling me to do because the boosts don't kick in over battles to where I'm using SP to end battles quickly and before the boost benefits kick in.

HENCE THE ISSUE.

And how do you get that BOOST? Oh, by spending SP on the weaknesses of which I'm burning the SP bonus the Personae's equipped give you and don't recharge back up at the end of the battle to where you can continue to Medium Mudo/Hama people to death.

HENCE THE PROBLEM. I run out of SP constantly "exploiting the boost system" as you're telling me to do because the boosts don't kick in over battles to where I'm using SP to end battles quickly and before the boost benefits kick in.

HENCE THE ISSUE.

Link attacks have elemental affinity, and they only cost health. Health is significantly easier and cheaper to recover than health. The game's systems direct players to exploring the link attacks.

So yeah, I absolutely loved Zen in the end parts.
Agreed.

HENCE THE ISSUE.
There are elemental physical skills that don't waste SP.

TheSeks

Link attacks have elemental affinity, and they only cost health. Health is significantly easier and cheaper to recover than health. The game's systems direct players to exploring the link attacks.

Unless there's a physical insta-kill attack that doesn't help for the second dungeon since I'm exploiting Hama/Mudo and despite having a level 20-27 Persona equipped to said Hama/Mudo users, they run out of SP within one-two battles. :| It's frustrating as hell to go "what the fuck" at the SP bonus system not even giving enough of a bonus to where your Hama/Mudo to start the boost rolling of free instant-death doesn't happen.

Astarte

Unless there's a physical insta-kill attack that doesn't help for the second dungeon since I'm exploiting Hama/Mudo and despite having a level 20-27 Persona equipped to said Hama/Mudo users, they run out of SP within one-two battles. :| It's frustrating as hell to go "what the fuck" at the SP bonus system not even giving enough of a bonus to where your Hama/Mudo to start the boost rolling of free instant-death doesn't happen.

Slap Impure Reach on Naoto and go to town. It won't be SP cost effective for you to use mudo/hamon abilities until you gain the area wide version...unless you can exploit some shadow weaknesses of dark/light. I don't know what you're doing, but I bet you use hamon/mudo on shadows that don't have a weakness to them.

Chill and use boost.

deafmedal

Hello GAF, my daughter pointed this game out to me at Target yesterday and asked if she could get it. She is 11, will be 12 in a couple of months. She is rather mature for her age but still, I feel some things she is just not ready for (TLOU, GTAV etc.,). We have not been shy about talking with her about sex and such so I was curious what you lot would say about her playing this or perhaps earlier entries in the series (she loves the art style heh).

JRPGs aren't my thing really, and I see that the game is supposed to be difficult and I will tell her as such but if it isn't too adult-y I reckon she could get it...

Any thoughts?!

Hello GAF, my daughter pointed this game out to me at Target yesterday and asked if she could get it. She is 11, will be 12 in a couple of months. She is rather mature for her age but still, I feel some things she is just not ready for (TLOU, GTAV etc.,). We have not been shy about talking with her about sex and such so I was curious what you lot would say about her playing this or perhaps earlier entries in the series (she loves the art style heh).

JRPGs aren't my thing really, and I see that the game is supposed to be difficult and I will tell her as such but if it isn't too adult-y I reckon she could get it...

Any thoughts?!

I'm not sure how suitable Personas 3 and 4 would be for a 12 year old. There's nothing overly graphic or explicit, but I feel like some aspects would go over their head and I'm not sure how much she would appreciate it. I wouldn't get her this simply because it assumes you've already played at least either 3 or 4, but you could look into Etrian Odyssey 4 or Untold, since those are similar in style. EO IV has a fairly minimalistic story whereas Untold has a more fleshed out story mode if that's a factor. Neither should have anything inappropriate for a 12 year old.

Protag

Banned
Floor three of you in wonderland.

How do i guide this stupid rabbit into the photo with the damn Foe blocking the path? No way i can fight it.

random25

Floor three of you in wonderland.

How do i guide this stupid rabbit into the photo with the damn Foe blocking the path? No way i can fight it.

Keep the 2 FOEs busy by washing the paint of the red roses. That will keep them stuck in one place so you can make the rabbit go to the painting.
I assume that's where you are right now.

TheSeks

Well, leveled up and somehow the SP problem for the Persona boost suddenly went away despite having near the same level Persona for the Ken/Koromaru. Okay...?

At least now I can nuke Boost without worrying about running out of SP to do said Nuke boosting.

Now to worry about the request of
battling Elizabeth
and possibly the boss next floor. Oh boy.

Mendrox

Any thoughts?!

Well the game has a very very scary dungeon (Evil Spirit Club) where I almost shit my pants, but after that it's good. Game is not that bad for children (and it's for kids 12 upwards here in Germany). There is a Persona whose name is Mara which is a penis, but she won't notice at all (or even fuse it lol). Get it for her, the story is good and the game is fun and very long :)

Also everyone:

Use boost!!! Just crit the enemies with your physical skills (Tempest Slash is almost any time a critical hit). Use Mudoo/Hama only when you get the area wide skills for them (with impure reach).

Still on the first floor of the second dungeon. Loving the game, cleared the first dungeon on hard but I'm switching to normal. I'll do it on hard on my second playthrough.

Any thoughts?!

Can't really recomend it to be honest. Same for the other Persona games. Might be better to wait a couple of years at least.

Lusankya

Any thoughts?!

She should be absoluely fine, there is nothing bad in Persona and the "Mature" rating is a joke when you compare it to the likes of TLOU or GTAV. In Europe it got the way more appropriate USK/PEGI 12 rating.

Mendrox

Still on the first floor of the second dungeon. Loving the game, cleared the first dungeon on hard but I'm switching to normal. I'll do it on hard on my second playthrough.

Can't really recomend it to be honest. Same for the other Persona games. Might be better to wait a couple of years at least.

Game is rated for kids in Germany (for 12 year olds) - why shouldn't he buy it for her? :) There is nothing bad in this game and it even has a chibi style to it.

Game is rated for kids in Germany (for 12 year olds) - why shouldn't he buy it for her? :) There is nothing bad in this game and it even has a chibi style to it.

It's not because of offensive content. Would a 12 year old really enjoy a dungeon crawler? The art style might be deceiving her as to what type of game this is. I don't know how it is on easy but on normal it's still a challenging game. Besides, this is a fanservice game for P3&4 fans, most of what is said in it will fly completely over her head. I dunno, with so many games to choose from this seems like a strange one to recomend.

It's not because of offensive content. Would a 12 year old really enjoy a dungeon crawler? The art style might be deceiving her as to what type of game this is. I don't know how it is on easy but on normal it's still a challenging game. Besides, this is a fanservice game for P3&4 fans, most of what is said in it will fly completely over her head. I dunno, with so many games to choose from this seems like a strange one to recomend.

I don't think the genre is much of a problem. My sister is a similar age, and I could see her enjoying a game like this.

I think the best thing to do would be to download either the Etrian Odyssey 4 or Untold demo from the eshop and see if she likes those.

Astarte

So the last boss
just keeps growing new legs before I can finish off all four. What exactly am I supposed to do?

It turned out to be a battle of attrition for me. Just keep nailing the legs with elemental weaknesses, don't forget to buff, etc. Thankfully my party was incredibly hp/sp efficient with link usage so it wasn't THAT bad.

random25

So the last boss
just keeps growing new legs before I can finish off all four. What exactly am I supposed to do?

Use skills that target all enemies. Gain Boost then cast it for free spells or physical attacks. Skills like Deathbound, Megidolaon, Hassou Tobi, Morning Star, and Ma___dyne skills do the job well.

Another last boss question:

What exactly do I do about "Gears of Time" on my MC? I'm mid-fight now and my MC's counter is down to 2 and I don't know how to get it off. If it weren't for that shit, I'd win this fight handily. But no way I'm forcing myself through that easy but insanely long and tedious Spider fight once again. I had to change my settings to "very fast combat" to fucking endure it. Playing on Risky, so just reviving the MC ain't gonna happen. plz halp :(

edit: nvm

edit: Allright, Kanji just crit him for 6k dmg lmao

edit: okay, I lost with him being two hits from dying. Never gonna play this game again. Had fun while it lasted, though.

Sera O

Banned
Another last boss question:

What exactly do I do about "Gears of Time" on my MC? I'm mid-fight now and my MC's counter is down to 2 and I don't know how to get it off. If it weren't for that shit, I'd win this fight handily. But no way I'm forcing myself through that easy but insanely long and tedious Spider fight once again. I had to change my settings to "very fast combat" to fucking endure it. Playing on Risky, so just reviving the MC ain't gonna happen. plz halp :(

edit: nvm

edit: Allright, Kanji just crit him for 6k dmg lmao

edit: okay, I lost with him being two hits from dying. Never gonna play this game again. Had fun while it lasted, though.

If you want to be cheap about it, it's actually possible to
keep that boss incapacitated the whole fight and avoid letting him do any time manipulation. The answer is panic status. The second attempt I made at this fight, I got panic to stick on my first move (two party members with panic skill + impure reach). He never even had a chance to apply the countdown at all. It was insanely easy to deal with his dinky physical attacks
. As for your question about the counter, you can
use a revival bead or revive skill on party members before they die to increase how many turns they have left by 1.

Sadist

Completed. Now for a run with the P4 crew.

Oh man, that part in Alice in Wonderland with the girls + Kanji and Teddie lol

Zareka

How the heeeeeeell do I get past this? (Dungeon 4, floor 4)

Edit: FINALLY got it

Festival Dudes can die in a fire.
Especially since they're forcing me to use a 4 man team with an extremely under levelled healer Akihiko.

Top Bottom