• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Estoma man, it really helps

Not even needed for Soul Hackers. At one point you get an application for your GUMP that significantly decreases the encounter rate. Essentially a perma-Estoma passive. And the game's encounter rate already is much lower than that of other MegaTen games, as I said.

cj_iwakura

I wish story was enough, but I hate that perspective and system so much. I skipped Persona 2 even when everyone kept saying it was the best story in the series because it had 2/3 things I hated about Persona 1.

Maybe whenever GiantBomb does a quicklook, I can see how the game is in English and see if Ill like it.

Persona 2 isn't a FPDC though. The dungeons are like P3/4's if anything, just with random battles, and more challenging(re: actually tough) maps.

Also watch this trailer, should give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYjAxKBf7E

Are you afraid of social isolation? Have you ever wanted to be special? Have you ever wished that you could have a new start when meeting people? Could it give you a chance to make a new impression? Have you ever lied about yourself in order to make people think you were special? Have you pretended to be a different person because you thought that people might not like the "real" you?

Aeana

I love negotiation in SMT games, but I don't care for the implementation of it in Persona 1 or 2, to be honest. I liked how you could bring your party members in on it, but it felt too drawn out for me. I think Raidou 2 handled that particular aspect the best.

Sophia

Don't care either way for negotiations as long as they're not overly drawn out. They're not my most favorite element, but they do add flavor.

To get this topic more Persona related, I've been wondering if the mysterious girl who appears to Aigis in Daylight and Moonlight is the same one that appeared to Labrys in Persona 4 Arena. I always just kinda assumed, but re-reading Moonlight, I'm not so sure anymore. Although if they are, then it would explain how Unit #24 got the information regarding the girl, as she says in Moonlight that's she unable to even speak (She communicates to Aigis via the internet.)

cj_iwakura

I love negotiation in SMT games, but I don't care for the implementation of it in Persona 1 or 2, to be honest. I liked how you could bring your party members in on it, but it felt too drawn out for me. I think Raidou 2 handled that particular aspect the best.

According to the fan translator Gemini was working with, SH's conversations are very straight forward. Maybe Atlus USA spiced up the dialogue a bit, but I guess we'll see. The Saturn version was mostly like SMT1.

I wish they'd do a Raidou HD collection or Vita port or something.

I have been interested in the games but by the time I got around to wanting them, I was PS2-less.

I hope the series takes a rest for a little bit, only to give it some room to change things up a bit.

Not that the current time period doesn't have a ton of awesome directions it could go in, I would LOVE for there to be a game with an earlier incarnation of Raidou, fighting/fight-with ukiyo-e demons like this:

vlcsnap-2012-12-21-20h33m50s153_zpsfefbcbeb-1_zps1db293c1.jpg

Aeana

Don't care either way for negotiations as long as they're not overly drawn out. They're not my most favorite element, but they do add flavor.

To get this topic more Persona related, I've been wondering if the mysterious girl who appears to Aigis in Daylight and Moonlight is the same one that appeared to Labrys in Persona 4 Arena. I always just kinda assumed, but re-reading Moonlight, I'm not so sure anymore. Although if they are, then it would explain how Unit #24 got the information regarding the girl, as she says in Moonlight that's she unable to even speak (She communicates to Aigis via the internet.)

I find it amusing how we were talking about Persona 1 and 2, and you changed the subject to make it "more Persona related" by talking about Persona 3/4.

According to the fan translator Gemini was working with, SH's conversations are very straight forward. Maybe Atlus USA spiced up the dialogue a bit, but I guess we'll see. The Saturn version was mostly like SMT1.

They are straight-forward. Not that far removed from SMT2.

Sophia

I find it amusing how we were talking about Persona 1 and 2, and you changed the subject to make it "more Persona related" by talking about Persona 3/4.

It was more on the subject of negotiations and gameplay in general. That, and there's not enough discussion of the drama CDs because they're Japanese only. :(

Speaking of which, if it's okay to link, translation of Moonlight: Part 1. Part 2.

I hope the series takes a rest for a little bit, only to give it some room to change things up a bit.

Not that the current time period doesn't have a ton of awesome directions it could go in, I would LOVE for there to be a game with an earlier incarnation of Raidou, fighting/fight-with ukiyo-e demons like this:

But it already had a rest! Two if you're counting the unusually long delay between Persona 4 and Persona 5. D:

They could take a rest from the enhanced ports tho.... >_>;

Would they not be willing to announce P5 before SMT4's release?
I'm no marketing guru, but I feel like doing that gives the impression of "You maybe only casually like our games? Well, here's the next big one, so feel free to skip the one coming out soon!"

But I guess RE6 was announced a month before Operation Raccoon City came out, and the latter had inexplicable amazing sales.

I'm no marketing guru, but I feel like doing that gives the impression of "You maybe only casually like our games? Well, here's the next big one, so feel free to skip the one coming out soon!"

But I guess RE6 was announced a month before Operation Raccoon City came out, and the latter had inexplicable amazing sales.

Though RE6 was announced prior to RE:R coming out, which did claim story advancement, and RE:R may have suffered a lot because of it.

I wish they'd do a Raidou HD collection or Vita port or something.

I have been interested in the games but by the time I got around to wanting them, I was PS2-less.

Raidou HD would probably be difficult, given that the backgrounds are prerendered.

Thanks Aeana - is Atlus consistent in showing their game within a time frame after announcing it in a magazine?

Both P3 and P4 were announced via excessively long (~17 minute) trailers, so.

pirata

Thanks Aeana - is Atlus consistent in showing their game within a time frame after announcing it in a magazine?

Persona 4 was revealed in Famitsu in March of '08 and then came out in July, I believe (in Japan). And looking around, it seems that Persona 3 was also revealed in March and shipped in July. So I guess that's the precedent.

Edit: beaten.

Alucrid

Banned
Are the changes in P4G really worth it? I played through P4 like...3-4 times and I don't really care for what I've seen of the new character. Really hope P5 is for current gen consoles. Having P4A spoiled me, even just the jump in audio quality.

Persona 4 was revealed in Famitsu in March of '08 and then came out in July, I believe (in Japan). And looking around, it seems that Persona 3 was also revealed in March and shipped in July. So I guess that's the precedent.

Edit: beaten.

Thanks, did it show at E3 that year? A teaser or full trailer? I wasn't even following these games back then, so I have no idea :/

Are the changes in P4G really worth it? I played through P4 like...3-4 times and I don't really care for what I've seen of the new character. Really hope P5 is for current gen consoles. Having P4A spoiled me, even just the jump in audio quality.
P4G has improvements to literally every single mechanic (you can choose from a list of books to read, and it'll tell you how much longer it'll take!). It's kind of the gameplay culmination of everything they started with Persona 3 to Fes to P3P to P4 to this. it's also a semi-HD (I'm not sure of the Vita's resolution) remake!

But yeah, the added story stuff is relatively superfluous.

Just listen to the new music and watch this and you'll have seen the best bits.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just bought a Vita:

Vita_and_3_DS.jpg

Literally due to me being unable the pressure of not owning P4G. Hopefully the game lives up to my expectations.

What would you guys think if P5 was on the Vita and it looked like a low res Catherine?

It can be a double-edged sword. If you love P4, you might find the frequent yet small scale character dialogues and events charming and fresh. You also might find the fan service cutscenes and NewChie cringe-worthy. Either way, the gameplay changes are convenient enough to make this one the standard. If you own a Vita, definitely pick it up and play it instead of going back to P4 vanilla.

Catherine was announced in Famitsu in August of 2010 and released in February in Japan. Atlus USA announced it on Marxh 1 and it was released here in July.

<3

Sophia

Who would that be?

I think a lot of people are conflating "observing that it is failing" with "wanting it to fail."

I guess it's more accurate to say they've convinced it's doomed? My choice of words today aren't very great. =P

There seemed to be a lot of suggestions in the fixing Vita sale thread that Sony should just try to ride it out, like nothing could save it particularly in the west. Although a Persona 5 for the Vita would be interesting to see the dynamics change.

Squire

Banned
What would you guys think if P5 was on the Vita and it looked like a low res Catherine?

I'd be fine with it on Vita. If it's on that and consoles, I'll probably double-dip to start, too. Especially if there's a cross-save feature. If not, I'll get it on 360 and Vita. In terms of looks, I honestly wouldn't mind if it looked like P4G, I think. The game is slick and it's more about the style and the art. And I want portraits again for sure. Static with different expressions, too. I can do without Catherine's blocky in-engine cutscenes and ditto the talking portraits in P4: Arena. Moving mouths on portraits is weird.

No problem buddy :)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Who would that be?

I think a lot of people are conflating "observing that it is failing" with "wanting it to fail."

I'm sure there are some who are apart of the "lolsony" crowd who do want it to fail and are relishing in the fact it is not doing so well right now.

Squire

Banned
I'm sure there are some who are apart of the "lolsony" crowd who do want it to fail and are relishing in the fact it is not doing so well right now.

There are, but that's a very small minority. I love Vita, but it's the butt if a very legitimate joke and when people partake in that, they seem to very commonly be called haters or whatever. I've had that with other things. The truth hurts.

Sophia

So hey, you guys remember the mentioning of "a collaborative project that will surprise everyone"? I wonder what that is.

Persona Online developed by Square Enix and published by Atlus!

An action spinoff of Persona called Persona May Cry developed by Capcom!

Persona and Sly Cooper. Aigis and Sly team up!

... I really have no idea, but I hope it's as surprising as they suggest. D:

Squire

Banned
So hey, you guys remember the mentioning of "a collaborative project that will surprise everyone"? I wonder what that is.

Yes, I remembered that recently as well. After Arena I think anything is possible. Which is cool. Hashino seems like he's more open to things like that than most developers. Like he respects the alter, but doesn't worship it.

Alucrid

Banned
P4G has improvements to literally every single mechanic (you can choose from a list of books to read, and it'll tell you how much longer it'll take!). It's kind of the gameplay culmination of everything they started with Persona 3 to Fes to P3P to P4 to this. it's also a semi-HD (I'm not sure of the Vita's resolution) remake!

But yeah, the added story stuff is relatively superfluous.

Just listen to the new music and watch this and you'll have seen the best bits.

Haha, oh Dojima. I guess I'll just skip and experience the new changes in 5. I hope.

It can be a double-edged sword. If you love P4, you might find the frequent yet small scale character dialogues and events charming and fresh. You also might find the fan service cutscenes and NewChie cringe-worthy. Either way, the gameplay changes are convenient enough to make this one the standard. If you own a Vita, definitely pick it up and play it instead of going back to P4 vanilla.

<3

Is it the same one from P4:A? If so I don't really have a problem with the new VA.

I really want P2EPP, too bad it most likely wont happen anymore. Oh well.

Me too, man. I've heard that it sold poorly. Aha, did we lose our chance?

Is it the same one from P4:A? If so I don't really have a problem with the new VA.

Yeah, same person. I think that her voice work during combat, S. Link cutscenes and the matsuri were the best in P4G. But yeah, like I mentioned before, if you get an urge to play P4 and you own a Vita, definitely get this version instead of playing vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom