• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Persona Online developed by Square Enix and published by Atlus!

An action spinoff of Persona called Persona May Cry developed by Capcom!

Persona and Sly Cooper. Aigis and Sly team up!

... I really have no idea, but I hope it's as surprising as they suggest. D:

This might make me sound like a bad guy, but I hope SE stays the hell away from Atlus. They aren't even in the same league. SE is McDonalds and Atlus is El Bulli The French Laundry.

However, I think that Atlus could make a wicked Silent Hill game.

Sophia

This might make me sound like a bad guy, but I hope SE stays the hell away from Atlus. They aren't even in the same league. SE is McDonalds and Atlus is El Bulli The French Laundry.

Nah, not really a bad guy. I was trying to be absurd as possible. =P

I tried that, but the bastard gets up during the same turn : / ended up dying so I'll have to fight Strega again.

If I recall correctly, you get an all-out-attack when the shadow gets knocked down right? Maye your party isn't powerful enough?

Squire

Banned

I agree with you completely with little to no regard for whether I sound like a bad guy or not. Absolutely right.

If I recall correctly, you get an all-out-attack when the shadow gets knocked down right? Maye your party isn't powerful enough?

You only get the All-out-attack when there are no enemies and it falls, but he summons a shadow every turn alongside the three statues. But I guess I'll need to grind some hardcore numbers, and also get new personas.

Trigger

Maybe the World social link could be connected to an online component? Or maybe they could let us trade personae online. Golden makes me think they could do more with the online stuff for sure.

Squire

Banned
If P5 has an online component, what would you want it to be?

Definitely The Voice! Online trading if Personas would be cool and would help people fill out the compendium (though I can see how there'd be issues). SOS I can take or leave. I mean, I never use it.

But I definitely hope they bring back the Voice.

Edit: Beaten like a shadow on mentioning Persona trading. Great minds, Trigger!

Maybe the World social link could be connected to an online component? Or maybe they could let us trade personae online. Golden makes me think they could do more with the online stuff for sure.

Definitely The Voice! Online trading if Personas would be cool and would help people fill out the compendium (though I can see how there'd be issues). SOS I can take or leave. I mean, I never use it.

But I definitely hope they bring back the Voice.

Edit: Beaten like a shadow on mentioning Persona trading. Great minds, Trigger!

Oh yeah, and similarly to The Walking Dead or Catherine, I'd like to see what other players chose during pivotal events or dialogues.

The main function that I would like to see is a series of co-op dungeons that are not part of the main story, but exist as a challenge and perhaps to find loot or something.

Poyunch

I'm not crazy for wanting the ability to add notes to calendars, right? I mean most people already use guides for 100% runs, you might as well give people the ability to manage everything in-game, right?

Trigger

I would love the ability to create dungeons, but I imagine that would take a lot of effort to implement. I think I read that Innocent Sin PSP had that feature.

I'm not crazy for wanting the ability to add notes to calendars, right? I mean most people already use guides for 100% runs, you might as well give people the ability to manage everything in-game, right?

You're not crazy at all. I could never remember when certain links were available.

Squire

Banned

I almost feel the Calender is useless without them.

Sophia

I would love the ability to create dungeons, but I imagine that would take a lot of effort to implement. I think I read that Innocent Sin PSP had that feature.

The Japanese version did. It got removed in the US version due to some policy of Sony's... :\

I got through talkin' with some megaten fans who really want P5 to feature references to all the series and want it to be a final showdown with good old Crawling Chaos. It's really interesting how that contrasts with popular opinion of the other group of people I talk Megaten with, hah. For the record, I agree with them.

Squire

Banned
I'm curious to see what P5's MC looks like. I hate the look of the P3 MC, but love Yu's look. It's an absolute contrast for me. And what if there's also a female MC from the very beginning?

Sophia

I'll be very disappointed if there isn't a female MC from the beginning. As much as I do like that swagger that is Yu Narukami, I'd rather play as a girl my first time through.

Acid08

Banned
I'm curious to see what P5's MC looks like. I hate the look of the P3 MC, but love Yu's look. It's an absolute contrast for me. And what if there's also a female MC from the very beginning?
P3 protag is awesome, dude doesn't give a fuck.

Squire

Banned
I'm just really worried Soejima won't be able to top the swagger that is Yu Narkumi. He and Squall are my favorite silent protagonists.

Poyunch

Yu's all about swag while P3's protag is too cool for school. I don't know how I'd want the MC of P5 to be like. I honestly hope everything about Persona 5 is original and it doesn't aim to be more like one or the other. It keeps things refreshing.

I'll be very disappointed if there isn't a female MC from the beginning. As much as I do like that swagger that is Yu Narukami, I'd rather play as a girl my first time through.
As perfect as that'd be, I'm worried that being a (maybe) current-gen console game, the scale will be significantly reduced from what we're used to from P3 and P4.

I would ABSOLUTELY be delighted though, if it the protagonist was female by default.

Squire

Banned
P3's MC just like an emo punk. I hate the look, but I suppose it's part if the effect. That game in general has a bit of an issue with corny edgy-ness. Like, I was glad they dropped the Evoker concept in P4 and Arena.

P3's MC just like an emo punk. I hate the look, but I suppose it's part if the effect. That game in general has a bit of an issue with corny edgy-ness. Like, I was glad they dropped the Evoker concept in P4 and Arena.

Lol I feel the exact opposite. I thought the whole feel of P3 was less corny than P4. The Evoker and the soundtrack of P3 is what got me interested in the series and I was sort of turned off by the complete change in direction for P4.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah because there's nothing corny about P4 :p

I wouldn't want a femMC only option. Not a rule of mine across all games(fem Shep for life) but I think it would hinder my Persona experience.

Squire

Banned
There's plenty that you could call corny in P4, but in a different way. That game leans into it's anime tendencies.

Sophia

Well it wasn't really dropped in Arena, but yeah... Mitsuru still uses hers a few times, as well as her instant kill.

Acid08

Banned
There's plenty that you could call corny in P4, but in a different way. That game leans into it's anime tendencies.
The vibes are completely different though. P4 is more saccharine while P3 really keeps the darker vibe from 1 and 2. So 3 leans into the more occult/macabre side while 4 leans more into the anime sweetness. Love both and "corny" is a bad descriptor for them.

Sophia

Wasn't P3's Protag supposed to be female by default? I swear I read that somewhere here.

It was originally suppose to have a female protagonist alongside a male protagonist. There's art out there of the early versions of the protagonists. She looks a bit like Yukari (which I believe she eventually became, if Soejima's blog on AtlusNet is any indication.)

Squire

Banned
The vibes are completely different though. P4 is more saccharine while P3 really keeps the darker vibe from 1 and 2. So 3 leans into the more occult/macabre side while 4 leans more into the anime sweetness. Love both and "corny" is a bad descriptor for them.

You described the situation perfectly.

But no, "corny" is the perfect term for things you can find in each game. I wasn't using it as a blanket descriptor.

Esura

Banned
If P5 has an online component, what would you want it to be?

A Create-A-Persona thing where you can trade your own created Persona with other people ala Pokemon or do battle with other Persona users online in a versus mode. Probably asking too much from a developer like Atlus though.

EDIT: Why do people say P3 is dark like P2? Felt slightly similar to P4 until a certain point in the game.

EDIT: Why do people say P3 is dark like P2? Felt slightly similar to P4 until a certain point in the game.
I felt like P3 did a pretty good job keeping the theme of "the inevitability of death". The coffins during the midnight hour, the evoker, the ominous tone of some of the music, the persona of the main character, Yukari freaking out when you're first introduced to her, Shinjiro's death, the pink crocodile guy (who still comes back from the dead to encourage you on), the apocalyptic idea that the world had to go so far as to create Aigis to fight shadows, and the whole playable period of time when the characters know they're about to face their own extinction, and ultimately the ending.

This is a pretty heavy contrast to the mystery/friendship theme of P4.

Sophia

Found it. Hashino's blog at AtlusNet.

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/286

Some really small early "demo" versions of the battle system from Persona 3. These are really cool to look at, and if you can read Japanese (or decipher Google Translate :p) there's some information about the Press Turn system too and how it came to be.

Meguro's blog and Soejima's blog are really good reads too. Lots of concept arts on the later. This drawing of Teddie and Aigis is awesome.

That first video, the enemies are demons, not shadows...interesting...

Sophia

That first video, the enemies are demons, not shadows...interesting...

Yup. There were no Evokers originally either. Early art of the Hero and Heroine show them using tarot cards, just like the P2/P4 protagonists.

Some other nifty things from Soejima's blog

The original Heroine design that became Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima02.jpg

Later designs of Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima03.jpg

Aigis originally had guns, separate from her body:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070727_soejima03.jpg

Earlier version of the Protagonist:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070803_soejima02.jpg

Earlier design for Akihiko:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070810_soejima02.jpg

Ken's weapon was originally darts. He looked a bit brattier too:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070831_soejima02.jpg

Fuuka originally resembled Chihiro Fushimi, you can still see the glasses in the second image:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima02.jpg
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima03.jpg

Koromaru was at one point drawn like a Dalmatian. He was also at one point almost a Husky:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070907_soejima02.jpg

Esura

Banned
I felt like P3 did a pretty good job keeping the theme of "the inevitability of death". The coffins during the midnight hour, the evoker, the ominous tone of some of the music, the persona of the main character, Yukari freaking out when you're first introduced to her, Shinjiro's death, the pink crocodile guy (who still comes back from the dead to encourage you on), the apocalyptic idea that the world had to go so far as to create Aigis to fight shadows, and the whole playable period of time when the characters know they're about to face their own extinction, and ultimately the ending.

Point taken. I think the lighter stuff of the game like Operation Babe Hunt and some of the goofy side stuff Aigis said colored my view on the game.

Acid08

Banned

Bravo, post nails it.

Dantis

I'd like it if there was a FeMC, particularly if it affected how some things played out, P3P style.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Persona 4 was revealed in Famitsu in March of '08 and then came out in July, I believe (in Japan). And looking around, it seems that Persona 3 was also revealed in March and shipped in July. So I guess that's the precedent.

Edit: beaten.

SMT4 will probably be released in Feb/March and P5 announced in March.

I asked this in the geberal SMT thread, but when I first played P4 I made the assumption that Naoto was connected to Raidou. Is there any evidence or speculation to back that up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom