• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in the geberal SMT thread, but when I first played P4 I made the assumption that Naoto was connected to Raidou. Is there any evidence or speculation to back that up?
Naoto's shadow demon Sukuna-Hikona, and third tier Persona from Golden Amatsu Mikaboshi, both have significant roles in the Raidou games.

There's also a line in the game from when Yukiko says that Naoto comes from a long line of detectives. In the Japanese version, Chie exclaims "Wow, like the (detective family from a popular series of Japanese novels)!?!", but in the English version, they changed it to "Wow, like the Kuzunohas!?!"

They fully acknowledge that line is that way to replace a cultural reference point, and not at all to imply that the two universes are connected.

Trigger

I sorta want Naoto to appear in a Raidou game now, lol.

Also: The girls look so natural in the Gekkou uniforms. One of my favorite costumes.

Naoto's shadow demon Sukuna-Hikona, and third tier Persona from Golden Amatsu Mikaboshi, both have significant roles in the Raidou games.

There's also a line in the game from when Yukiko says that Naoto comes from a long line of detectives. In the Japanese version, Chie exclaims "Wow, like the (detective from a popular series of Japanese novels)!?!", but in the English version, they changed it to "Wow, like the Kuzunohas!?!"

They fully acknowledge that line is that way to replace a cultural reference point, and not at all to imply that the two universes are connected.

Third tier personas?

Also, I though the unverses were connected. Aren't there references to P1 in Raidou 1? Or was that SMT 1?

Esura

Banned
Third tier personas?

Also, I though the unverses were connected. Aren't there references to P1 in Raidou 1? Or was that SMT 1?

It seems as though they make a reference to other Atlus games in almost every Persona game, the NA ones at least. I remember seeing a Raidou one in P3FES too. Not sure about P1 though.

Trigger

Third tier personas?

If you max a party member's social link before Feb 5th, you'll get an extra scene where their persona takes on a new third form. Only happens after December, and each form comes with a kickass skill too.

Third tier personas?
In P4G, you can spend an extra day in January with each of your team members and they get an additional Persona upgrade.

Kanji's gets an afro!

Persona_4_Takejizaiten.jpg

Edit: ^^ I took too long finding that image!

Herla

I remember reading somewhere that initially the P4 Protagonist was supposed to be a Kuzunoha (and that might explain some similarities I noticed in Raidou's theme).

SMT If..., Peraona, and every Devil Summoner except Soul Hackers take place in the same universe, but the Raidou games take place in the 1920's

If you max a party member's social link before Feb 5th, you'll get an extra scene where their persona takes on a new third form. Only happens after December, and each form comes with a kickass skill too.

In P4G, you can spend an extra day in January with each of your team members and they get an additional Persona upgrade.

Kanji's gets an afro!

Persona_4_Takejizaiten.jpg

Edit: ^^ I took too long finding that image!

Oh, I didn't now this. I'm in Decenber now and maxed both Teddy avd Chie and their Personas evolved. I'm trying to max out Naoto and Kanji but I doubt I'll have time before the fight with (Dec boss spoilers)
Adachi

SoulUnison

Banned
I *really* hope we return to the darker tone of the stories from P1 and 2, the "grander scale" of the story from P3, and the systems and character interactivity from P4.

Trigger

I wish the P3 cast got third tiers for their personae.

Oh, I didn't now this. I'm in Decenber now and maxed both Teddy avd Chie and their Personas evolved. I'm trying to max out Naoto and Kanji but I doubt I'll have time before the fight with (Dec boss spoilers)
Adachi

You should still have time in January to do that and get their third personae if you want. Naoto's special skill is pratically game breaking.

I felt that Persona 2 was more grand than Persona 3 and it also had plenty of good times, jokes and heart like persona 4 had....but that gameplay...

I just went to the wiki. Bless the souls who update it.
That wiki is incredible with it's diligent linking of every single demon across every single SMT game.

Also I had no clue of this, from her trivia section:
  • Chie is mentioned by Kasai, the kimono clad woman of Amagi Inn, in the Persona 3 Portable if the player chose the female protagonist.
I know P3P came out after P4, but I still wish P4G had a sly reference to a future game.

Maybe the new sea guardian will be a party member in P5.

That wiki is incredible with it's diligent linking of every single demon across every single SMT game.

Also I had no clue of this, from her trivia section:
  • Chie is mentioned by Kasai, the kimono clad woman of Amagi Inn, in the Persona 3 Portable if the player chose the female protagonist.
I know P3P came out after P4, but I still wish P4G had a sly reference to a future game.

Maybe the new sea guardian will be a party member in P5.

We already saw 5's mc, and he is pretty damn funky.

Found it. Hashino's blog at AtlusNet.

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/286

Some really small early "demo" versions of the battle system from Persona 3. These are really cool to look at, and if you can read Japanese (or decipher Google Translate :p) there's some information about the Press Turn system too and how it came to be.

Meguro's blog and Soejima's blog are really good reads too. Lots of concept arts on the later. This drawing of Teddie and Aigis is awesome.

Yup. There were no Evokers originally either. Early art of the Hero and Heroine show them using tarot cards, just like the P2/P4 protagonists.

Some other nifty things from Soejima's blog

The original Heroine design that became Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima02.jpg

Later designs of Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima03.jpg

Aigis originally had guns, separate from her body:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070727_soejima03.jpg

Earlier version of the Protagonist:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070803_soejima02.jpg

Earlier design for Akihiko:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070810_soejima02.jpg

Ken's weapon was originally darts. He looked a bit brattier too:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070831_soejima02.jpg

Fuuka originally resembled Chihiro Fushimi, you can still see the glasses in the second image:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima02.jpg
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima03.jpg

Koromaru was at one point drawn like a Dalmatian. He was also at one point almost a Husky:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070907_soejima02.jpg

Oooooooh, this is neat. Thanks. Soejima's so good about showing off his thought processes.

Sophia

Oooooooh, this is neat. Thanks. Soejima's so good about showing off his thought processes.

Yeah I love these little notes and details. It gives you a good idea of what they were thinking, and what they're planning for future games. Methinks seamless battles are all but a given now considering they were in the concept for Persona 3.

Dantis

Yeah I love these little notes and details. It gives you a good idea of what they were thinking, and what they're planning for future games. Methinks seamless battles are all but a given now considering they were in the concept for Persona 3.

I'd love seamless battles.

Keep them turn-based though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I just I could read it without google translate.

I am the art director Soejima of P4 Hello. Oven I recently came to my house. I usually do not use their own only about the warm water of instant coffee in the microwave function, I tried to bake the cookies, so it is also somehow sacrilegious. I would fit to your liking is a thing called "galette" various apparently checked on the net. The recipe is simple and just bake in a food processor mix flour and sugar, butter, cinnamon and so on. When I was done ...... should be easy, first you hard! And salty! I too seem to shake the of was written apparently seemed too thick, the salty salt and shake the egg yolk ... after painting. But I thought it was going to eat all good luck, I will be metabo bother to eat alone because they know the material you're using a lot of calories to become. That I take it to mean that company. Settlement that will follow or "I seems salted or in vogue recently salt caramel" from the staff (laughs). I think trying to revenge them ... so frustrating. The untold story chat P4 character development of the so far today. This time I am "Chie Satonaka". Chie is a character that is not in their best P4 color has gone out. I think you let think so and cheerful colors and pop the jersey. I have brought it to the yellow glasses Chie color image of P4 so. Speaking of memories about Chie, I exhausted facial features that are difficult to grasp anyway. It is what I do not have the features characterizing the atmosphere of the eyes and hairstyles easy to understand like a subtle Yukiko Keep own painting. I remember being developed, redrawn several times to bust up. Development I began to draw from? Smooth it is finished with. So I is slow ... (laughs).

FStop7

Banned
I'm getting close to the end of P4G.

I'm in Adachi's dungeon.

Namatame's involvement actually surprised me, I didn't see that coming. I thought it was all Adachi who was unknowingly possessed by a powerful Shadow - good guy by day, killer by night.

Still, I saw he was the killer from a mile away. It's too obvious. I'm guessing he's not the one pulling the strings. I think it's the gas station attendant from the beginning of the game. Igor said that I'd enter into a contract and things got weird almost immediately after I shook that guy's hand.

Feints within feints - It's an interesting trope but this is the fourth JRPG I've seen it used in over the past few years.

About Social Links - They should decay if they go uncared for. You shouldn't be able to just max one out and then never speak to the person again without a cost.

demidar

I'm getting close to the end of P4G.

I'm in Adachi's dungeon.

Namatame's involvement actually surprised me, I didn't see that coming. I thought it was all Adachi who was unknowingly possessed by a powerful Shadow - good guy by day, killer by night.

Still, I saw he was the killer from a mile away. It's too obvious. I'm guessing he's not the one pulling the strings. I think it's the gas station attendant from the beginning of the game. Igor said that I'd enter into a contract and things got weird almost immediately after I shook that guy's hand.

Feints within feints - It's an interesting trope but this is the fourth JRPG I've seen it used in over the past few years.

About Social Links - They should decay if they go uncared for. You shouldn't be able to just max one out and then never speak to the person again without a cost.

"Yo Daisuke, we total bros man."

Strength S. Link Maxed!

"K, bye."

Sophia

A better option would be to give incentive to continue the social link when maxed out. Increased XP to your next fusion of that arcana, or maybe a stats point increase to a Persona, or a skill card. Something of that nature.

I like the idea behind inadvertently reversing an s-link in Persona 3, but it just wasn't fun in the same way that an rpg that takes away XP wouldn't be fun.

I think P4G strikes the right balance by making you feel like a monster on Valentine's day if you have multiple girlfiniends.

Squire

Banned
I like the idea behind inadvertently reversing an s-link in Persona 3, but it just wasn't fun in the same way that an rpg that takes away XP wouldn't be fun.

I think P4G strikes the right balance by making you feel like a monster on Valentine's day if you have multiple girlfiniends.

It really does. The way Rise sort of calls you out on not taking her seriously was brilliant. Just another way the game subverts your expectation.

FStop7

Banned
Since there doesn't seem to be an overall thread covering the Megami Tensei franchise...

How is Soul Hackers? In the main P4G thread I mentioned how I'd like to see a cyberpunk Persona game and apparently I'm about 16 years too late on that idea. Since it's coming out on the 3DS in North America in April I'm hoping it's worth getting.

This would suck. At some point you have to consider what would be best for a videogame, not for what is "realistic".

Oh man, yeah, I felt mega guilty going through each valentines day scene with the girls. Marie soon made me feel better, but damn, that stuff was very well done.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Since there doesn't seem to be an overall thread covering the Megami Tensei franchise...

How is Soul Hackers? In the main P4G thread I mentioned how I'd like to see a cyberpunk Persona game and apparently I'm about 16 years too late on that idea. Since it's coming out on the 3DS in North America in April I'm hoping it's worth getting.

CJ and Sophia say it's pretty damn good. buddah whatever the numbers are seems to love it. So I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt. :p

Hell, I'm about to go buy a 3DS for it.

Dantis

Merry Christmas, Persona-GAF!

You know, Christmas (And indeed, holidays in general) could really use a greater emphasis in future Persona games. Why isn't there a Christmas dinner with Dojima's? Or a Christmas party with the Investigation Team?

I've said it before, but I'd also really like to see some mention of birthdays. It seem like madness that they're just flat-out excluded.

Anywho, have a great day all!

Squire

Banned
Merry Christmas, Persona-GAF! Of all the sub-communities, you guys have been the most helpful and welcoming to me. Thanks a lot and enjoy the holiday!

Merry Christmas Persona-GAF, and by extention, Megaten-GAF, I hope no Hard Core hackers hack you over your breaks and festivities!...or do I?

Because I'm up much too late on winter break and my inner 13-year old is OCD about making lists, I present to you my controversial P4A story mode ranking.

P4A-tier-list_zps0ee70fab.png

Could use significantly more gradation, definitely.

(no relation to the actual gameplay tiers that professionals have hashed out)

Sophia

I really wish I could change my name

I think you can PM a mod about it.

Yup, that's how I got my name change.

Because I'm up much too late on winter break and my inner 13-year old is OCD about making lists, I present to you my controversial P4A story mode ranking.

Could use significantly more gradation, definitely.

(no relation to the actual gameplay tiers that professionals have hashed out)

lol, you put almost all the P4 cast members at the bottom, even though they're the source of Narukami's power when he's in Super Saiyan Messiah Mode. XD

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All this talk about Kuzunoha reminds me of something: there has never been nor I think there will be another hero from SMT/Persona that is as cool/badass looking as him. His looks are just... on another level.

lol, you put almost all the P4 cast members at the bottom, even though they're the source of Narukami's power when he's in Super Saiyan Messiah Mode. XD
Aw, well ya know... the gestalt is better than the sum of its parts. The strength's those metaphysical bonds, versus the burliness of the actual people. Plus whatever the music club girl contributes.

I think normal Yu might be able to move up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom