• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Hahahah, I poured hundreds and hundreds of hours towards DS1, DS2, and DS overclocked.

I still think Kuzunoha is a hundred times more badass looking than the protagonists of either Devil Survivors.

Yeah, there's a word I wouldn't apply to any Survivor character, though DS1's has his moments in the true demon route.

Esura

Banned
The DS hero may be badass but he just looks like a more anime-ish version of the P3 hero. Looks-wise he's pretty nonthreatening and generic.

More anime-ish version?

Hahahah, I poured hundreds and hundreds of hours towards DS1, DS2, and DS overclocked.

I still think Kuzunoha is a hundred times more badass looking than the protagonists of either Devil Survivors.

He probably ain't as strong as DS1 MC though.

Esura

Banned
Raidou does go toe-to-toe with Lucifer in DevSum2.

DS1 MC takes on YAHWEH.

But in all seriousness I never played a Devil Summoner game before so I don't know of Raidou's badass feats. Always wanted to but they are so damn expensive compared to other SMT PS2 games.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
DS1 MC takes on YAHWEH.

But in all seriousness I never played a Devil Summoner game before so I don't know of Raidou's badass feats. Always wanted to but they are so damn expensive compared to other SMT PS2 games.

I think those are the ones that never had any reprints, Nocturne and DDS1&2 had a few of em.

Of course if you're lucky enough, you can find them at Gamestop for 20 bucks. (That is of course if you are willing to go there)

I love Soejima and all, but Kaneko's designs just ooze a quintessential SMT style. Particularly in Nocturne with all the minimalists designs.

His version of Dante's devil trigger was so unique and had so much personality.

I wonder if down the line, when Atlus mixes things up, what Kaneko's return to the Persona series would look like. Or maybe more interestingly, what a Catherine-like game would look like with his design sensibilities.

Alternately, a Soejima Devil Summoner could be interesting, especially if they set it a generation or two later than Raidou XIV.

In fact, fuggit. Just make a game devoted to the entire Kuzunoha line as a series of episode all fighting a mysterious demon slowly gaining power and "edit" it like Millennium Actress.

I feel like Kaneko's designs have always been meant to be off-putting and make you feel a little uncomfortable about the character, which I don't think would jive with, say, Persona 4.

I would be interested to see a game with a mixture of Soejima and Kaneko similar to (though hopefully better than) Tales of Xillia's thing.

Sophia

I feel like Kaneko's designs have always been meant to be off-putting and make you feel a little uncomfortable about the character, which I don't think would jive with, say, Persona 4.

I would be interested to see a game with a mixture of Soejima and Kaneko similar to (though hopefully better than) Tales of Xillia's thing.

I'm not quite fond of Kaneko's designs, to be honest. His monster designs are always better than his human designs. I did like Commander Gore and Jimenez from Strange Journey tho.

P4 would be REALLY weird, but if P5/P6/P7 had an older cast and a creepy theme about isolation or loneliness or WHATEVER, I could see it happening.

Wouldn't a game with a mixture of Kaneko and Soejima just be Persona? :p
Did Kaneko himself redo the portraits for the PSP releases, or did Soejima? I wouldn't say their styles look at all the same, but jeez... hard for me to tell.

And if they could lock Kaneko in a room and have him redesign all the demons to use in the next ten years of games, the world would be a better place.

Wouldn't a game with a mixture of Kaneko and Soejima just be Persona? :p

Persona 2, Soul Hackers.

Did Kaneko himself redo the portraits for the PSP releases, or did Soejima? I wouldn't say their styles look at all the same, but jeez... hard for me to tell.

P1P didn't have redone portraits (the new promo art was all CG), Innocent Sin had new promo art done by Soejima (the ingame stuff was already Soejima and it was touched up a bit), and Eternal Punishment had new promo art done by Doi (the ingame stuff was already Soejima and it was touched up a bit).

Dantis

I'm not quite fond of Kaneko's designs, to be honest. His monster designs are always better than his human designs. I did like Commander Gore and Jimenez from Strange Journey tho.

You don't like Maki? :O

Makip2.jpg

And if they could lock Kaneko in a room and have him redesign all the demons to use in the next ten years of games, the world would be a better place.

In the original P2, Soejima did the portraits. In the PSP IS, he did them again. In EP, Doi did them, but all he did was draw over Soejima's art.

Sophia

Her Persona 2 design is decent, but her Kaneko drawn Persona 1 design was pretty meh.

I don't really like any of the Persona 1 cast, except maybe Nanjo, and even then I only like him more for what he could potentially bring for future installments.

Dantis

Her Persona 2 design is decent, but her Kaneko drawn Persona 1 design was pretty meh.

I don't really like any of the Persona 1 cast, except maybe Nanjo, and even then I only like him more for what he could potentially bring for future installments.

The Persona 1 art is vile.

Maki in P2 is amazo though. Probably my favorite Kaneko female character design (Though I also really like Sera from DDS).

One of my favorite Persona 1 characters along side Eriko and Nanjo

She's a great character, but I was referring to her design. :p

Eriko looks a bit terrible in P2. Very un-stylish.

Sophia

The Persona 1 art is vile.

Maki in P2 is amazo though. Probably my favorite Kaneko female character design (Though I also really like Sera from DDS).

Everything about the cast of characters in Persona 1 is kinda odd. The art isn't that great, the characters aren't as fleshed out, and virtually everyone who reappeared in Persona 2 was done better in that game. Special mention goes to Yukino and Kandori, who were far more developed in Persona 2 than they ever were in Persona 1.

Everything about the cast of characters in Persona 1 is kinda odd. The art isn't that great, the characters aren't as fleshed out, and virtually everyone who reappeared in Persona 2 was done better in that game. Special mention goes to Yukino and Kandori, who were far more developed in Persona 2 than they ever were in Persona 1.

Wow it's almost as if there was a huge shift in JRPG presentation between 1996 and 1999.

Dantis

Well no, not quite. Soul Hackers came out a mere year later and was utterly amazing, and is still great even by today's standards.

The art was also miles better. The female protagonist in that looks great. No idea what her name is.

Sophia

The art was also miles better. The female protagonist in that looks great. No idea what her name is.

Hitomi's the brown haired one. Nemissa's the silver haired one who takes over Hitomi's body and starts wearing lots of leather >_>;

It was Soejima's first game too I believe. Kaneko + Soejima together, and yes the art is great.

Dantis

Hitomi's the brown haired one. Nemissa's the silver haired one who takes over Hitomi's body and starts wearing lots of leather >_>;

It was Soejima's first game too I believe. Kaneko + Soejima together, and yes the art is great.

He'd worked on other games before that, but Soul Hackers was the first one where he did anything significant.

And yeah, I meant Hitomi. Great design.

As an aside, when Hitomi and Nemissa switch back and forth in the game, do their clothes change with every switch? Or do they stick to a specific outfit but just the hair colour changes?

For some reason, when I read about Soul Hackers, that was one of the first things I thought.

It's all about that suspension of disbelief, man.

Sophia

As an aside, when Hitomi and Nemissa switch back and forth in the game, do their clothes change with every switch? Or do they stick to a specific outfit but just the hair colour changes?

They stick to a specific outfit. Only their physical appearance changes. At the start they're wearing Hitomi's conservative outfit. Nemissa goes to a shop and swaps for leather later, much to Hitomi's shock and horror. XD

Sophia

Yes, it's almost as if something came out in the beginning of 1997 that forever changed the nature of JRPGs.

I know what game you're implying, but no, it wasn't Final Fantasy 7. Soul Hackers would have been in development loosely within the same time period as FF7. =p

The original Persona was just a weak installment, largely because it was a testbed for future installments. Kaneko's art was far better on earlier games before it too. It's not like the Megami Tensei franchise just materialized right before FF7 did.

I know what game you're implying, but no, it wasn't Final Fantasy 7. Soul Hackers would have been in development loosely within the same time period as FF7. =p

The original Persona was just a weak installment, largely because it was a testbed for future installments. Kaneko's art was far better on earlier games before it too.

Soul Hackers came out nearly a year after FF7.

Kaneko's P1 character art is on par with everything that had come before.

Sophia

SMT in general seems to be pretty hit or miss in the pre-Nocturne days.

Well keep in mind, lots of the earlier games have had a "Seinfield is Unfunny" effect going on to them. Shin Megami Tensei 2 was likely amazing back in the day on the SNES, it did a lot of stuff before any other JRPG at the time really did. Yet if you tried to play the SNES verison today it'd seem really lacking due to the fact that everything copied off it and the "3D" effects are awful now.

Soul Hackers came out nearly a year after FF7.

Kaneko's P1 character art is on par with everything that had come before.

And if the average game development period was around two years back then (I honestly have no idea the development period of either game, just guessing) it would have been in development early on at the same time, no?

I guess it's possible that later games could have been inspired off FF7, but it seems too close of a time period to say that FF7 magically revolutionized Soul Hackers or anything like you seem to be implying. :p

In regard's to Kaneko's art, Messiah Terminator sez WROOONG. :D

I've always felt as if his characters were drawn as if they had one foot in the Other, or at least the potential for it. The fact the supernatural entities in the games share that unnatural touch when donning a human form makes things even more interesting...

Note the use of solid colors. GOD why isn't he doing things still...

And if the average game development period was around two years back then (I honestly have no idea the development period of either game, just guessing) it would have been in development early on at the same time, no?

Soul Hackers would have been in production around the time Square launched a huge media blitz to show off all the things that were going to make Final Fantasy VII special.

Yeah that looks stupid as heck though?

I'm also gonna disagree with the assertion that everything copied off SMT2, because haha please. You could probably make the argument that Xenogears owes quite a bit to it (
my girlfriend is my mom!
), but it owes more to Chrono Trigger.

Well keep in mind, lots of the earlier games have had a "Seinfield is Unfunny" effect going on to them. Shin Megami Tensei 2 was likely amazing back in the day on the SNES, it did a lot of stuff before any other JRPG at the time really did. Yet if you tried to play the SNES verison today it'd seem really lacking due to the fact that everything copied off it and the "3D" effects are awful now.

I meant on a game-by-game basis, though. (I thought SMT2 was great when I played it a few years back.)

Sophia

Yeah that looks stupid as heck though?

You side with the Cult of Gaia don't you? @.@

I meant on a game-by-game basis, though. (I thought SMT2 was great when I played it a few years back.)

Ehh... true. There aren't nearly as many bad Megami Tensei games now, that's for sure!

I'm also gonna disagree with the assertion that everything copied off SMT2, because haha please. You could probably make the argument that Xenogears owes quite a bit to it (
my girlfriend is my mom!
), but it owes more to Chrono Trigger.

Okay okay, Freud did it first! >_>;

Young Magus

Found it. Hashino's blog at AtlusNet.

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/286

Some really small early "demo" versions of the battle system from Persona 3. These are really cool to look at, and if you can read Japanese (or decipher Google Translate :p) there's some information about the Press Turn system too and how it came to be.

Meguro's blog and Soejima's blog are really good reads too. Lots of concept arts on the later. This drawing of Teddie and Aigis is awesome.

Yup. There were no Evokers originally either. Early art of the Hero and Heroine show them using tarot cards, just like the P2/P4 protagonists.

Some other nifty things from Soejima's blog

The original Heroine design that became Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima02.jpg

Later designs of Yukari:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/071012_soejima03.jpg

Aigis originally had guns, separate from her body:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070727_soejima03.jpg

Earlier version of the Protagonist:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070803_soejima02.jpg

Earlier design for Akihiko:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070810_soejima02.jpg

Ken's weapon was originally darts. He looked a bit brattier too:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070831_soejima02.jpg

Fuuka originally resembled Chihiro Fushimi, you can still see the glasses in the second image:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima02.jpg
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070914_soejima03.jpg

Koromaru was at one point drawn like a Dalmatian. He was also at one point almost a Husky:
http://movie.atlusnet.jp/atlusnet/creator/070907_soejima02.jpg

These are pretty cool readings, thanks for sharing :D!

Omikaru

I know some of you liked the "placeholder" box art for the UK release of P4 The Animation which I mentioned in the P4G OT, and my copy arrived today (and it seems they kept the placeholder box art), so I thought I'd post some pics here...

photo1_zpsdd18849b.jpg

Cover and insert.

photo3_zps0f538180.jpg

Cover and the other side of the insert.

photo4_zps6610d2d1.jpg

The discs. On the left are the DVDs, the right is the Blu-ray.

photo2_zps63760fd3.jpg

Comparison with the game box arts.

photo_zps110e310b.jpg

And I can confirm the UK Blu-ray has dual audio.

I know some of you were pretty crinkled that the US BR didn't have Japanese audio, and that was because Atlus are dickheads, so I wonder what's going on with the EU release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom