• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

I think Persona 5 will be a completely new story. Like I said in the P4G OT, Arena had very little involvement from Hashino, Soejima and Meguro, and I just can't imagine them structuring their entire project around someone else's story. Particularly when it sold worse than a re-release of their own game.

They have to conclude Arena somehow though, so maybe we'll get a Continuum Shift-esque sequel.

Do we know anything about their deal with ASW and whether it allows for more games? I suppose it doesn't matter, though, if they want another, money is green*.

*Money may not, in fact, be green in your particular jurisdiction.

Yes, people should wait for anything to come of them, before they start jumping to conclusions.

That is no fun what-so-ever!

Dantis

Do we know anything about their deal with ASW and whether it allows for more games? I suppose it doesn't matter, though, if they want another, money is green*.

*Money may not, in fact, be green in your particular jurisdiction.

We know nothing of the deal besides the fact that it was Atlus who approached Arc, and Arc weren't very familiar with Persona before they began work on the game.

So where exactly is that picture from? I'm assuming Arena, but which story?

It's a picture of Mitsuru's Shadow Fighting Force or whatever, because that is a thing in the Persona universe now. Folks are convinced that the silhouettes are meant to be actual characters, for real, and not just place holder silhouettes to show that she has employees besides her albino friend and the robot.

Taruranto

I just hope they don't bring back Nyarlathotep without the original writers, ever since P2 they can't write a decent villain to save their lives.

I'm rather interested in EP Scenario with
motherfucking Cthulhu
but apparently people prefer playing scooby-doo. :(

I just hope they don't bring back Nyarlathotep without the original writers, ever since P2 they can't write decent villain to save their lives.

motherfucking Cthulhu

its not just that one, but a ton of lovecraft bosses and even a character from the fiction, written by the original writer.

Trigger

motherfucking Cthulhu

Because Izanami and Nyx were just men in costumes amirite?

lol, I think the concepts have stayed the same. The presentation is what changed. The heart of Persona 3 and 4 were still in line with the series.

Taruranto

Because Izanami and Nyx were just men in costumes amirite?

lol, I think the concepts have stayed the same. The presentation is what changed. The heart of Persona 3 and 4 were still in line with the series.

Don't bring up Izanami, one of the most lazy, worst "villain" ever.

lol, that's actually true. I just don't understand the distinction between being made between Nyarlothotep and the main antagonists from the later games.

Technically Nyar also wore men suits, the most hilarious and sort of bad ass one of them all, esp in the psp one.

Dantis

lol, that's actually true. I just don't understand the distinction between being made between Nyarlothotep and the main antagonists from the later games.

Izanami came out of nowhere in a bad way. Her plot made zero sense, and added nothing to the story. Nyarlathotep was portrayed as a genuinely malevolent character, and his appearance was alluded to all throughout both of the first two games. He was a character, whereas she wasn't.

Nyx was pretty good though. No idea why you'd complain about her.

Taruranto

I don't find Nyx that bad (at least she was yes, properly foreshadowed and had a proper build-up), but i don't think she was that memorable either.

To me, it's kind of what they're presented as. Nyarlathotep is the personification of everything that's wrong with humanity, so I can buy his actions as being consistent with what he is.

Then you have Izanami, who is supposed to be literally, the Izanami of Japanese myth? Who wants to grant mankind's true wish? And somehow TVs factor into it? And you need a magic crystal of truth from Igor to see her real form?

Both entities are of the "I'm just giving mankind what it wants" variety, but Nyarl's feels like... less complicated? Like, he just gave mankind the tools for self-destruction, while Izanami set up this really bizarre system involving televisions and fog and tapping a bunch of completely unrelated people as her chosen ones.

Taruranto

The moon descent was pretty damn memorable.

The scene? Yeah. But as a villain herself, she didn't leave too much of a strong impression to me.

Anyway, P2 didn't also have Nyarlothotep. It also had Tatsuya Sudou (awesome, crazy and charismatic, especially if you take the events of both games in consideration) and Jun/Joker. It was really a set of amazing villains.

Beckx

The scene? Yeah. But as a villain herself, she didn't leave too much of a strong impression to me.

Well, Nyx wasn't really a "villain" so much as a force of nature or obstacle to overcome (in her story role). What P3 does so well is that the villains are other people. I thought it was really well done: this is what humanity has wrought, do you stop it, or choose to accept it?

Trigger

To me, it's kind of what they're presented as. Nyarlathotep is the personification of everything that's wrong with humanity, so I can buy his actions as being consistent with what he is.

Then you have Izanami, who is supposed to be literally, the Izanami of Japanese myth? Who wants to grant mankind's true wish? And somehow TVs factor into it? And you need a magic crystal of truth from Igor to see her real form?

Both entities are of the "I'm just giving mankind what it wants" variety, but Nyarl's feels like... less complicated? Like, he just gave mankind the tools for self-destruction, while Izanami set up this really bizarre system involving televisions and fog and tapping a bunch of completely unrelated people as her chosen ones.

Very true. I was hoping the new Marie content might better explain Izanami's motives. I liked Adachi though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope we're close to some actual info on Persona 5.

Very true. I was hoping the new Marie content might better explain Izanami's motives. I liked Adachi though.

Yeah, I think that since P4 is supposed to be like a mystery, and that you're supposed to solve it and reach out to the truth and all that mess that motivation matters a lot more than it would in other titles.

I wish Adachi had been more of an actual serial killer instead of most of the attempted murders being accidental, but I like his motives.

TGS is only nine months away!

P3 and P4 were both announced on Famitsu Wave discs in the spring and then released in summer.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 5 happens at a Newspaper or other news outlet, this would give you a nice outlet to move the story along via time. And characters summon their Personas with their cell phones. Trying to think of how the dungeons would be, but something on the Internet. Maybe some take on the Joker curse from P2:EP.

Whatever they do, I really hope the game is dark,gritty, mature and depressing as it could possibly be. I want to at least 2 characters from the main party to die. I DO NOW WANT a bullshit happy ending like p4. I'm loving p4 but the atmosphere/presentation absolutely kills the game for me. Even my friend who isn't even a big fan said p4 completely turned him off. He asked me the other day why the game was so different from the others and I couldn't give him a straight answer.

Sophia

Hoo boy, I think I'll go down the list and cherry pick some of the initial questions to answer. Combination of both known details and speculation. I'm going to be basically stalking this topic now that I'm awaken. >_>;

How did characters obtain and use their personae powers in each game?

We know for a fact that the are multiple ways to access a Persona. Almost all versions of accessing a Persona have come from accessing the "Fight or Flight" fear factor. Sometimes this factor was in response to a dangerous situation, sometimes it was induced via supernatural means, sometimes both. The Persona 1 cast played a ritual (the "Persona Game", whatever exactly the details of that is) and ended up meating Philemon, who appears to have awakened to their power. Most of the Persona 2 cast likewise played the same game as children, but didn't appear to awaken to their powers until being confronted by Joker-Sama/JOKER years later. They too, met Philemon not too long after. It would appear that all playable members of the Persona 1 and Persona 2 cast have the power of the Wild Card, the power to use and summon multiple persona, to some degree or another.

The main characters of Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the other hand were a different scenario. Most people in Persona 3 used a device called an Evoker (an actual gun that was re-purposed for this situation, which appears to induce the fear factor needed to summon a Persona. Not everyone can just appear to pop the Evoker to the head and summon it tho, as some sort of "potential" is needed to begin with. Of the Persona 3 cast members, we know that the protagonist and Mitsuru first summoned their Persona without the use of an evoker. Mitsuru summoned hers first when her father was threatened (as seen in The Answer), where as the Protagonist had Death sealed inside of him thanks to Aigis at a young age. Sometime between Death being sealed inside of him, and his initial use of the Evoker atop the Minatodai Dormitory, Philemon appeared in butterfly form and gave him the power of the Wild Card.

The Persona 4 cast, with exception of Yu Narukami, all obtained their Personas through the Midnight Channel by facing their Shadow Self, a Persona's negative uncontrolled form. They appear not to be able to summon them in the real world at the moment, and still require the assistance of the Midnight Channel itself to summon.

Yu Narukami is a unique case among those who have the Wild Card. It isn't quite clear if Philemon visited him or if he obtained the Wild Card form Izanani at the start of Persona 4. Regardless, by the time of the game's start, he is clearly welcomed as a guest in the Velvet Rom, and Philemon is seen as the game's save points.

Who is Igor? Why is Igor helping you? Why is Igor's nose so long?

Igor is effectively a doll who was given life by his master, Philemon. In this sense, he's no different than that of Aigis. Both of them are artificial humans who overcame their original boundaries and obtained life. I always speculated that Igor was helping the protagonists in an attempt to find his own answer to life, as it seems all the denizens of the Velvet Room appear to there for such a purpose.

As for why his nose is so long? Philemon needed to pick a better doll than Tengu/Pinocchio. :p

Who is Philemon? Why is there all of this butterfly imagery?

Philemon is essentially a positive subconscious element that exists within all humans. A "deity" of sorts. I guess perhaps he could be considered the Superego to Nyarlthotep's Id. I always viewed the butterfly imagery to represent the positive qualities that Philemon has embodied over the series, in contrast It is interesting to note that while Philemon does seem to have humanity's best interests at heart, he does appear to be willing to take risks with them. His experiment with Nyarlathotep is evidence of that

Who is Nyarlathotep? Does Nyarlathotep have any connections with Persona 3 and 4?

Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos. Based off the outer god in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. He is essentially the negative aspect of Humanity's destructive, chaotic, and unexplainable tendencies given form. He himself admits at the end of Eternal Punishement that he exists in every Humam heart. An undeniable presence. In this sense, he is most likely connected to Erebus, a similar entity based off Humanity's negative emotions and their desire for death. Judging from the comments in Persona 4 Arena, he most likely had a hand in why Erebus is now trying to bring about the end of humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow had a hand with Koutesu Kirijo's madness prior to the start of Persona 3.

Nyarlathotep and Philemon appear to be conducting an expriement with humans. Philemon believes they can become enlightened, where as good ol Narly wants them to destroy themselves. So far Philemon's record is 2 to 1 in his favor, depending on how you want to count the ending to Innocent Sin. >_>;

P5 has to take place in college.
heard that in japan college/university life is rather boring. Heard that the Highschool life is the most fun/memorable part while college/university is all work and more work.

Aye, pretty much the reason I suspect it won't happen. The Japanese High School setting setting is iconic in the franchise, and in Japan their idea of highschool is very memorable. I think it's likely we'll see more adult characters in Persona 5 however. They've set the story up in such a way that they could have older college students working with the Persona 5 cast in high school. Who knows tho at this point? *shrugs*

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope the P5 characters are very likeable like in P4.

I also want the protagonist to be anti hero or at least the option to be one. You know, the kinda person who doesn't care about saving the world. The kind of person who is only doing this to benefit himself/herself.

I also want the protagonist to be anti hero or at least the option to be one. You know, the kinda person who doesn't care about saving the world. The kind of person who is only doing this to benefit himself/herself.

That would be neat, but you know they will never go for that...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm curious what they'll do with Igor since the seiyuu passed away. Will they recast or come up with a new character?

I also wonder if they'll double retcon The Answer and bring back the protag from P3 at some point just for shiggles.

Sophia

I..I did the band social link. *shuffles feet* am I bad person senpai?

Don't feel too bad, I did Ayane's social link too
at least on the first playthrough. >_>

I also wonder if they'll double retcon The Answer and bring back the protag from P3 at some point just for shiggles.

Not happening. It's not even feasable to recon out at this point. Persona 4 Arena went out of it's way to reinforce just how important The Answer and it's events were for Aigis and her personal journey.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How old is Ayane? It's kinda hard for me to see the MC hit on her compared to the available social links.

Who knows, she might appear in P5 as a beautiful lady or something.

Whatever they do, I really hope the game is dark,gritty, mature and depressing as it could possibly be. I want to at least 2 characters from the main party to die. I DO NOW WANT a bullshit happy ending like p4. I'm loving p4 but the atmosphere/presentation absolutely kills the game for me. Even my friend who isn't even a big fan said p4 completely turned him off. He asked me the other day why the game was so different from the others and I couldn't give him a straight answer.

I think the tone of game you're looking for might be more readily found in SMT at this point. Or at the very least, Nocturne's protagonist was enough of a blank slate that you could align yourself and the game's ending towards a aggressive philosophy of self-interest or pure chaos.

Not that the earlier Persona games didn't have plenty of dark themes, it would be kind of jarring for them to suddenly make everything oppressively dark after the success of P4.

P5 is about a guy who gets shipped off to a boarding school, but there's been a mistake and it's a school for robot girls! Will he able to navigate the world of Robot Girl Boarding School and defeat the shadows that pop up in his dorm kitchen every night? Will he be able to touch his cute neighbor's Papillion Heart? What about the Moebot Girl's one in home room? Will sempai finally look his way? Find out when you play Persona 5, coming soon from Index.

Esura

Banned
Wait, people don't like Ayane? She is so adorable. She reminds me of Hinata from Naruto. Just so cute as a button. Damn near close to being a Chie-killer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom