• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osietra

Banned
Tbh I have an issue with the music class being more Persona'ish, I'd started with drama (gurl is 7/10 which means possible lse = probable anal) but some guy said the music is way better. And there's a 10 year old, and you can ask if she has a bf.

That makes sense'ish.

Trigger

Yumi was the superior Sun social link. I felt that her story fit the tone of Persona more; that mix of bitter and sweet. The moment when she asks if you love her and you have to choose between saying yes or walking away was just heartbreaking.

I also wonder if they'll double retcon The Answer and bring back the protag from P3 at some point just for shiggles.

Freeing him from his fate would be impossible (and bad), but I could see Elizabeth's journey culminating in some slightly less horrible fate for the Persona 3 protags.

I gotta say, I loved the fan-service in P4A whenever the P3 characters would fight the P4 characters.

With the exception of Yu being a boss, all the P4 characters were completely intimidated by the P3 ones, and whenever they'd win they would say something like "OH SHIT, I was just lucky. Better run away before they get up!". I also love it that Naoto was the one to figure out what was going on in several of the storylines.

But then as Elizabeth finishes destroying absolutely anyone and everyone while casually walking through her storymode, she suddenly has to fight the entire P4 cast whom when combined together, the "power of their bonds with one another" makes them powerful enough to take down deities and it suddenly terrifies her.

My inner middle school child was mentally drafting up numerical power levels of all the characters inbetween bouts of neckbeard glee.

I gotta say, I loved the fan-service in P4A whenever the P3 characters would fight the P4 characters.

With the exception of Yu being a boss, all the P4 characters were completely intimidated by the P3 ones, and whenever they'd win they would say something like "OH SHIT, I was just lucky. Better run away before they get up!". I also love it that Naoto was the one to figure out what was going on in several of the storylines.

But then as Elizabeth finishes destroying absolutely anyone and everyone while casually walking through her storymode, she suddenly has to fight the entire P4 cast whom when combined together, the "power of their bonds with one another" makes them powerful enough to take down deities and it suddenly terrifies her.

My inner middle school child was mentally drafting up numerical power levels of all the characters inbetween bouts of neckbeard glee.

Maya Amano could wipe the floor with all of them save for maybe Elizabeth, they do not have anywhere near the amount of positive thinking to face her

Maya Amano could wipe the floor with all of them save for maybe Elizabeth, they do not have anywhere near the amount of positive thinking to face her
Would be a waste if there is an inevitable fighting game sequel, and a properly aged Maya and Nanjo aren't in it.

with secret optional boss DEMI-FIEND

Trigger

I like the epilogue in Golden. I'd be excited for an Arena sequel just to see more of the P3 cast years after the game.

Sophia

Huh, Maya would be in her mid 30s if she reappeared. Not likely that anyone from Persona 2 will ever reappear in proper context, but still...

Dantis

P5 has to take place in college.

Okay, so here's my thing with it taking place in college:

As is, this can't happen. P3 and P4 just aren't mature enough. I have a feeling Atlus want to keep it as is, rather than deal with riskier themes. A lot of what makes Persona 4 work is the coming-of-age thing it has going. Super best pals, first love, even the hanging out stuff. It's a completely different world once you move to college.

And sure, you could say "Well, it doesn't have to take things seriously. It could still be zany and herpy derp", but then, what's the point? If they move to a college setting, things would have to serious up a bit, otherwise it would be pointless, and in some cases, weird. The peeping on girls in the bath house would go from 'silly, lame anime cliche' to 'creepy perverts'.

My point is, I'd only want them to move it to college if it handled themes like Catherine did. And I don't think it would.

I like the epilogue in Golden. I'd be excited for an Arena sequel just to see more of the P3 cast years after the game.

The epilogue is my favourite major addition to Golden (Naoto's and Rise's huge boobs aside. That seemed silly). I wouldn't mind seeing Persona 4-2 or whatever they'd want to call it. They're a really great cast, and it was very cool to see how they've matured over six months. Imagine if it took place like two years after P4? That would be dynamite.

P5 will take place 14 years after P3. The H3ro only managed to partially stop Nyx. 3/4ths of the humanity was still wiped out, and H3ro has been in stasis on the moon for the last fourteen years. The Answer, P4 and P4A were all but fever dreams for him. Yukari and Junpei, who still look like teenagers thanks to the Curse of Persona, go up to the moon to get him and bring him home, where he finds the entire world changed: Basked in a perpetual twilight, shadows roam the empty streets of ghosts towns, hunting down and preying on the few remaining humans.

Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis have split off from SEES and created an organization known as Einsóf, dedicated to eradicating the Shadows that now roam the Earth, no matter the cost, while Junpei, Yukari and Fuuka - joined by adults Natsuki and Maiko - continue on at SEES, seeking a way to reverse the Fall.

P5 will take place 14 years after P3. The H3ro only managed to partially stop Nyx. 3/4ths of the humanity was still wiped out, and H3ro has been in stasis on the moon for the last fourteen years. The Answer, P4 and P4A were all but fever dreams for him. Yukari and Junpei, who still look like teenagers thanks to the Curse of Persona, go up to the moon to get him and bring him home, where he finds the entire world changed: Basked in a perpetual twilight, shadows roam the empty streets of ghosts towns, hunting down and preying on the few remaining humans.

Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis have split off from SEES and created an organization known as Einsóf, dedicated to eradicating the Shadows that now roam the Earth, no matter the cost, while Junpei, Yukari and Fuuka - joined by adults Natsuki and Maiko - continue on at SEES, seeking a way to reverse the Fall.

pls no

Sophia

Get your Evangelion out of my Persona. :|

The idea of these offbeat time settings ideas make me realize I want a Devil Summoner game set in a a college during the politically turbulent 60s with Raidou as a student radical.

Kidnap Haruki Murakami and trick him into doing the scenario writing, and replace every mention of "earlobes" with "recruitable earlobe demons".

Trigger

I imagine the P3 MC will be a quiet straight man to the wackier cast. He was an audience surrogate in game and will likely follow suit in the movie.

I like him, but the fact that people still can't get over his death is rather silly. I mean, deal with it people, move on, people die when they are killed, etc.

It was an emotional ending and he didn't just die, lol.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I think at this point P5 will have more cameos/nods to P3 and P4 than P4 did to P3, but I don't know if they'll really cross that line to including past NPCs as party members or hugely overlapping storylines, especially when something like Arena exists as an outlet for the overall continuing Persona universe.

I think it'd be really interesting, but like others have said, have it come out after P5. Doesn't need to be another fighting game, hell it could kinda be a super persona team up, which would be awesome. But problem with that is with such a group, you'd be expecting to actually cause something with a lot of finality for the Persona universe, which would have huge ramifications for the future of the series with shadows and/or humanity. And I don't think Atlus is ready to go that far. They're willing to give a strong nudge/wink, but flat out doing something as crazy as rescuing P3's protag is waaaay out there for a numbered persona game.

I think P5 will probably be something different a la college or the early work force, since high school has been done back to back. They'd need to really shake things up for another high school setting to be innovative. But given their track record with 3 and 4, I'd give a high school P5 a shot.

I think Persona 5 will utilize the internet to a greater extent, it seems a pretty natural extension of humanity's collective consciousness from the midnight hour to channel to webpage.

So how do you ya'll think the Persona 3 movie/movies will characterize the hero?
I loved how in the manga, they just made me really sleepy. It fit with the theme of the game, but also allowed him to be passive in the conversations that happen around him, just like in the game.

Kind of a great contrast to how P4 protag was in the anime and I guess some of the new lines reflect them being self-aware of P4 pro-swag-onist.

Noi

I want the best P4A character to show up again in some shape or form. That's all I ask of Atlus.

I know what you're going to say Dantis, I don't care. :V

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So how do you ya'll think the Persona 3 movie/movies will characterize the hero?

36r8J.jpg

Dantis

I want the best P4A character to show up again in some shape or form. That's all I ask of Atlus.

:3

I actually wouldn't mind Labrys being in it, if she was done in a less 'crazy anime robot' fashion. If she was, say, an S Link, and she wore her clothes, and didn't shoot her hands off, and didn't carry an axe/jetpack wings, then it wouldn't bother me all that much.

Sophia

I actually wouldn't mind Labrys being in it, if she was done in a less 'crazy anime robot' fashion. If she was, say, an S Link, and she wore her clothes, and didn't shoot her hands off, and didn't carry an axe/jetpack wings, then it wouldn't bother me all that much.

Okay now you're just talking crazy man. o_o

But seriously, I totally expect Labrys to reappear in Persona 5 or Super Persona 4 Arena or whatever they have planned for the massive plotlines they left hanging at the end of P4A. You just don't have the character say "Hey I'm going to join your super powerful Men-In-Black organization and save the world with you all!" and have her be neglected to supporting character with a portrait. >_>;

I think she'za swell characta. Her design s'a bit suspect n' whatnot, but shes pretty darn interestin, kapeesh?

cj_iwakura

Izanami came out of nowhere in a bad way. Her plot made zero sense, and added nothing to the story. Nyarlathotep was portrayed as a genuinely malevolent character, and his appearance was alluded to all throughout both of the first two games. He was a character, whereas she wasn't.

Nyx was pretty good though. No idea why you'd complain about her.

I loved Izanami's character design, but I agree she was woefully underutilized.

I agree that P3/4 are lacking in dynamic villains. Strega were awesome, but same problem; very little impact on the plot.

Needs more ominous villain cliques like the Masquerade from P2 and the Phantom Society from Soul Hackers.

Get your Evangelion out of my Persona. :|

Persona 3 is a game where a kid joins a secret organization dedicated to fighting X number of giant, personality-less monsters to prevent a disaster from destroying humanity. Unknown to most of the members of the organization, each giant, personality-less monster they defeat is actually bringing them closer and closer to the disaster because the leader of the organization is a big dumb lying jerkface.

EVANGELION IS ALREADY HERE.

Noi

You monster.

I'm ok with this compromise.
Hell, you could even have her being a robot be the big reveal for that S. Link, what with her using her field distortion ability to make herself look human.

Sophia

I agree that P3/4 are lacking in dynamic villains. Strega were awesome, but same problem; very little impact on the plot.

Needs more ominous villain cliques like the Masquerade from P2 and the Phantom Society from Soul Hackers.

Well, part of the problem with Strega is that a good deal of their development was suppose to be in the game, but got removed during development. You'd never know much about Takaya or Jin unless you read the Shadow Cry novel and play Tatsuya's scenario in P2:EP PSP. Actually, a lot of Persona 3 is like that... the game was far too ambitious for the team at the time, if any of the original ideas were to go on.

Persona 3 is a game where a kid joins a secret organization dedicated to fighting X number of giant, personality-less monsters to prevent a disaster from destroying humanity. Unknown to most of the members of the organization, each giant, personality-less monster they defeat is actually bringing them closer and closer to the disaster because the leader of the organization is a big dumb lying jerkface.

EVANGELION IS ALREADY HERE.

Evangelion doesn't have Aigis.

Well, part of the problem with Strega is that a good deal of their development was suppose to be in the game, but got removed during development. You'd never know much about Takaya or Jin unless you read the Shadow Cry novel and play Tatsuya's scenario in P2:EP PSP. Actually, a lot of Persona 3 is like that... the game was far too ambitious for the team at the time, if any of the original ideas were to go on.

Evangelion doesn't have Aigis.

It has Rei.

Dantis

The Masquerade is a great example of a good group of villains. They were also demonstrably evil, with motivation and the like. Persona 3 and 4 really need that. Strega shoot some guys out of view of the protags for reasons which aren't very clear and are completely unjustified.

Izanami did look really cool, but we might be biased, as fans of Soejima. :p

Okay now you're just talking crazy man. o_o

But seriously, I totally expect Labrys to reappear in Persona 5 or Super Persona 4 Arena or whatever they have planned for the massive plotlines they left hanging at the end of P4A. You just don't have the character say "Hey I'm going to join your super powerful Men-In-Black organization and save the world with you all!" and have her be neglected to supporting character with a portrait. >_>;

A few years ago, Hashino said that Aigis was going to be one of the lead characters in Persona 5. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced her with Labrys.

You monster.

I'm ok with this compromise.
Hell, you could even have her being a robot be the big reveal for that S. Link, what with her using her field distortion ability to make herself look human.

Yep. That would be pretty neat actually. Especially if it was about her discovering the nuances of what it means to be a normal, happy human.

Sophia

A few years ago, Hashino said that Aigis was going to be one of the lead characters in Persona 5. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced her with Labrys.

Really now? Link to that comment please? :D Either way I'm okay with this.

It has Rei.

And Rei doesn't have jetpacks, finger guns, blonde hair, blue eyes, and was totally meant to be creepy until they realized just how badly that angle failed. Also, she's not voice by Maaya Sakamaoto. :|

cj_iwakura

The Masquerade is a great example of a good group of villains. They were also demonstrably evil, with motivation and the like. Persona 3 and 4 really need that. Strega shoot some guys out of view of the protags for reasons which aren't very clear and are completely unjustified.

I know this is broken record stuff, but boy will you love Soul Hackers. It's the complete antithesis of Persona 4 in terms of villain development.

Sophia

I know this is broken record stuff, but boy will you love Soul Hackers. It's the complete antithesis of Persona 4 in terms of villain development.

One of the best aspects of Soul Hackers' story. Now if only we could get the damn game in English. :\

Best banner ever? Clearly! (She was intended to be creepy to mock lolis in dating sims for those who didn't know)

I would certainly hate it. But it would be cool if there are references to past events, just like in P3->P4.

Never get too attached to a set of characters in the SMT universe.

Useful advice!

I think the tone of game you're looking for might be more readily found in SMT at this point. Or at the very least, Nocturne's protagonist was enough of a blank slate that you could align yourself and the game's ending towards a aggressive philosophy of self-interest or pure chaos.

Not that the earlier Persona games didn't have plenty of dark themes, it would be kind of jarring for them to suddenly make everything oppressively dark after the success of P4.

That would be the best time to! I enjoyed the hell out of P4's honest cheefulness, but that harsh destruction, loss, and insane ever-expanding levels of Fucked that other Megaten titles excel at puts just how precious humanity and friendship is/was right there as the front and center of the narrative (unlike most other RPGs what only give lip service and cutscenes about it).

It's too valuable to not use.

Wait, people don't like Ayane? She is so adorable. She reminds me of Hinata from Naruto. Just so cute as a button. Damn near close to being a Chie-killer for me.

Mikeandbotsstare.gif

Probably been asked a million times in a million threads but has there ever been a mention of a PS3 version of Golden? I just finished Persona 3, but I have no way of playing Persona 4 :(

cj_iwakura

So in terms of power level it's:

P2 protagonist(Tetsuya/Maya)=P3 protagonist(Minato)>P1 protagonist>>P4 protagonist

This seems about right.

A certain board posted a pretty accurate protagonist power level chart, but it also incorporates Raidou, Devil Survivor, and SMT.

Hitoshura, Aleph, and DevSur1 top it, deservedly.

Maya, Tatsuya, and Serph are right under them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom