• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Persona 3 is a game where a kid joins a secret organization dedicated to fighting X number of giant, personality-less monsters to prevent a disaster from destroying humanity. Unknown to most of the members of the organization, each giant, personality-less monster they defeat is actually bringing them closer and closer to the disaster because the leader of the organization is a big dumb lying jerkface.

EVANGELION IS ALREADY HERE.

Also, Ryoji. (voiced by Akira Ishida, clearly into you as he admits in the FeMC S.Link, actually a shadow despite the human appearance, wants to die so you can survive)

Guys, lets talk about the S. Link system. It's flawed, we all know it, but they did a good job. They can do a better job, but how?

Here's some ideas:

1. No more of this shrine crap, you have a phone and you can text/talk to people every night to raise your relation points; a large variety of dialogues/responses is a must
  2. The game has an app that acts like a texting service so that the in-game characters can contact you in real life and your responses have a significant effect in the game
  3. There should be a general variety of activities to do with any character so Max Rank S. Links are worth hanging out with - also, incentives or long term goals are a must; furthermore, if you girlfriend/boyfriend a character, their S. Link has an entirely new net of 10 Ranks (unique to each romance-able character)
  4. If you Max Rank a character, that character dies permanently, the story changes dynamically to reflect this
  5. S. Links do not have ranks, instead, you just get talent points and build a talent tree - it is impossible to max the tree out in one playthrough even if you hang out with the character every chance you get
  6. The S. Links for NPCs are 3 ranks while main characters are 20 or more, never start the same way, and progress dynamically

Don't have a lot of time to make a full contribution right now, but I thought I'd touch on one thing.

Yes, the Kirijo Group was actually a part of the Nanjo Group initially. Or so they said. But I honestly feel like it was just a throwback without any serious implications, just like a lot of the other things in Persona 3 and 4. It's unlikely that they will ever draw any closer connections than those that have been made. And I don't think that the majority of current fans even care.

Yeah, I figured as much - they sort of gave enough to nod at it, while sending it off into obscurity, maybe. I don't really know how powerful Japanese family companies work, but when it starts going down the path of secret robot girl programs... well, I kinda hope that one stays in P4A :)

OH DEAR GOD THAT BANNER

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Mwahahah! Apple demands your attention! Apple reminds me of one of my friends (especially the hair) so I made a goofy Tegan and Sara reference in her honor.

Probably been asked a million times in a million threads but has there ever been a mention of a PS3 version of Golden? I just finished Persona 3, but I have no way of playing Persona 4 :(
Nope. Your best bet is to either get a vita or a cheap ps2(they for like 30$ these days). If you have a decent pc you could buy a copy and emulate it.

cj_iwakura

Also, the voice of the Malevolent Entity in both the US and JP versions is the same guy who voiced Nyarlathotep. So it's not a question; it is him.

Sophia

Nope. Your best bet is to either get a vita or a cheap ps2(they for like 30$ these days). If you have a decent pc you could buy a copy and emulate it.

If you don't have access to a Vita to play Golden, legally obtaining a BIOS and emulating Persona 4 is the best option. Both Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 run near perfectly on emulator, and you can apply a widescreen patch to both of them. :D

Also, the voice of the Malevolent Entity in both the US and JP versions is the same guy who voiced Nyarlathotep. So it's not a question; it is him.

Yeah there was never any doubt. Same manner of speaking, same voice actor, same M.O., same personality. It's not a matter of if it's him, it's merely a matter of just how involved was he behind the scenes up til now. >_>;

Sophia

Yeah but izanami is fucking trash though. Maya eats Japanese gods for breakfast. Tetsuya could beat her with one hand behind his back. And don't even get me started on emo Jesus.

I don't recall them eating "gods for breakfast" in Persona 2. Although they DID take on Izanami in the new EP PSP content....

At any rate, Minato has them all beat. Igor makes this perfectly clear that the power of the Universe Arcana is basically like playing God and even he has never seen it before.

tumblr_ma974y69qb1qk2lu9.jpg

Where would she rank among all this powerlevelness considering shes the precursor to all of them?

Sophia

It's really hard to classify her on a scale of sheer "power", given almost everything in Shin Megami Tensei if... has been retconned into oblivion. I'm almost surprised that game hasn't gotten a full blown remake as a Persona Zero or something yet.

Sidenote, the P1 protagonists basically took on Nyx at the end of the Snow Queen quest. Although they didn't really WIN, but whatever...

A certain board posted a pretty accurate protagonist power level chart, but it also incorporates Raidou, Devil Survivor, and SMT.

Hitoshura, Aleph, and DevSur1 top it, deservedly.

Maya, Tatsuya, and Serph are right under them.
I wonder how powerful the p1 protagonist is. Pandora was no freaking joke.

Let's take a moment to bask in crossover art that may have the smallest chance of actually happening one day:

tumblr_lqrodiOCxJ1qkvyy6o1_1280.png

tumblr_lqrobof4PR1qkvyy6o1_1280.png

tumblr_lqgtb61CYH1qkvyy6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lqgt67aYex1qkvyy6o1_1280.jpg

I would love it if someone can manage to find that tier list, by the way.

Dantis

I know this is broken record stuff, but boy will you love Soul Hackers. It's the complete antithesis of Persona 4 in terms of villain development.

I really can't see Soul Hackers coming out here, pal. :/

It's something I will likely never experience unless I emigrate from dear England.

Sophia

Pandora is, but not in the dumb P3/P4 shadow way.

The descriptions for Pandora, Aki, and Mai do sound like Shadow Selves, actually. To quote the Megami Tensei wiki: "Pandora is Maki Sonomura's ultimate expression of nihilism."

Sure sounds like a berserk shadow to me. :p

(I really wish the Persona 1 remake had gone all the way instead of just being a mere updated port...)

What are they then, my memories of P1 totally fail me

They were never really explained in the strictest sense.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I do think S. Links will need to evolve dynamically, whether it be going deeper into cross-encounter stuff with other links, more variables in what actually happens with their story and potential ramifications for that particular character.

(this would probably apply more to sidestory stuff than the main quest, as going with variables on something like a Persona main story would lead to madness. Though Atlus did kind of hint at this stuff with the Killer's Assistant end in Golden.)

It's a fine line though, toeing between keeping things dynamic and not taking options away from the player. I think that's why P4 had such fewer Reverse S.Links (only Moon, IIRC). You as the player are constrained enough by way of the limiting number of days both as part of the story and gameplay.

For example, taking away or reversing potential s.links because you hadn't say, visited X person in a few weeks or requiring semi-special apology multi-day quests/scenes sounds dynamic and cool, but that would frustrate a good number of players to no end, especially newer players who aren't min-maxing s.links or stats.

Speaking of personal stats, think we'll get more/same/less than P4's 5? I liked it better than 3's 3, felt more balanced.

Aeana

The descriptions for Pandora, Aki, and Mai do sound like Shadow Selves, actually. To quote the Megami Tensei wiki: "Pandora is Maki Sonomura's ultimate expression of nihilism."

Sure sounds like a berserk shadow to me. :p

(I really wish the Persona 1 remake had gone all the way instead of just being a mere updated port...)

Gone all the way how? Do you mean changing everything to try to make it fit into things created in P3/P4?

Sophia

Aren't P4's shadows the same as P2's?

Kinda. Sorta. But not really. There's some contradictions in regards to that. Mainly they say in Persona 4/Persona 4 Arena that your Shadow and Persona cannot co-exist, but they do end up co-existing in Persona 2....

I always chalked it up to Narly.

Gone all the way how? Do you mean changing everything to try to make it fit into things created in P3/P4?

At least updated the plot to be more consistent. There's just tons of stuff flat out not-explained with the context of the later games. I don't care for tarot cards either but meh.

Kinda. Sorta. But not really. There's some contradictions in regards to that. Mainly they say in Persona 4/Persona 4 Arena that your Shadow and Persona cannot co-exist, but they do end up co-existing in Persona 2....

I always chalked it up to Narly.

At least updated the plot to be more consistent. There's just tons of stuff flat out not-explained with the context of the later games.

Don't you think the later games should revise in the context of the older ones instead of the other way around?

Sophia

Don't you think the later games should revise in the context of the older ones instead of the other way around?

One or the other, I guess. It doesn't really matter either way. Atlus doesn't usually do massive updates and plot changes with their remakes and re-releases anyhow.

Aeana

At least updated the plot to be more consistent. There's just tons of stuff flat out not-explained with the context of the later games.

If Atlus ever tries to tie P3/4 more closely into P1/2, it will be some sort of aftermarket effort, and not because it was originally intended. I don't think going back and changing the original games to fit better with that is a good idea at all (and I don't think they should even try to do it, I honestly don't like what they seem to be trying to do P4A, either). It all feels very fan-fictiony, because it is just tacked on stuff, trying to twist the past to suit some newly-formed narrative.

Dantis

If Atlus ever tries to tie P3/4 more closely into P1/2, it will be some sort of aftermarket effort, and not because it was originally intended. I don't think going back and changing the original games to fit better with that is a good idea at all (and I don't think they should even try to do it, I honestly don't like what they seem to be trying to do P4A, either). It all feels very fan-fictiony, because it is just tacked on stuff, trying to twist the past to suit some newly-formed narrative.

Agreed. This is also how I felt about Arena's main plot.

Anyone else think apollo is the coolest looking persona? Oh and how long until atlus remakes p1/p2 with the p4 engine?

Yes, and never.

Sophia

They're probably going to be very selective going forward about which elements make it into future games just to avoid contradictions. As much as I don't want them to. So I think we can safely can rule out most of the P1 and P2 casts appearing, outside of the likes of Nyarlathotep and maybe some of the new P2 EP PSP characters.

And the fact they can use personas

And if you believe that Metis is a Shadow Self of Aigis, then it contradicts Persona 3 as well.

Young Magus

Well, part of the problem with Strega is that a good deal of their development was suppose to be in the game, but got removed during development. You'd never know much about Takaya or Jin unless you read the Shadow Cry novel and play Tatsuya's scenario in P2:EP PSP. Actually, a lot of Persona 3 is like that... the game was far too ambitious for the team at the time, if any of the original ideas were to go on.

Evangelion doesn't have Aigis.
Original ideas huh? Like what?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Whenever a broad persona thread comes up I get bummed that I really hated the fuck out of both P1-P2 in the dozen or so hours I sank into both.

Snakeyes

The game has an app that acts like a texting service so that the in-game characters can contact you in real life and your responses have a significant effect in the game
A neat idea on paper but I can already picture the awkward scenarios in real life.

Tier list: The rankings make sense but why is Tamaki placed so high?

Whenever a broad persona thread comes up I get bummed that I really hated the fuck out of both P1-P2 in the dozen or so hours I sank into both.

Its ok, the gameplay does not hold up really, even though I like it, I understand there are many who don't like that gameplay.

Aeana

You're not alone, and it's the main reason why I can't blame Atlus for not bringing P2EP PSP or Soul Hackers over. New fans just don't care.

Sophia

You're not alone, and it's the main reason why I can't blame Atlus for not bringing P2EP PSP or Soul Hackers over. New fans just don't care.

I don't think Soul Hackers has aged that badly. It certainly holds up better than Persona 1 and Persona 2 did.

Vamphuntr

But you would get Eikichi talking to Kanji!
Troy Baker talking to Troy Baker

I do agree that it wouldn't feel right to link the universe of 3/4 and 1/2. It's not the same mythos at all. Philemon isn't in 3/4 either and the reasoning behind the persona summoning process is different.

Hopefully they keep their weird experimentation in their gaiden/spin off games like P4A.

Do you really think western fans are going to react well to it?
You think people who hated P1 and P2 PSP are going to be totally in love with Soul Hackers? Heh.

No, but I think Atlus will bring it over.

Unrelated:
Z4asD.jpg

Has anyone seen a high quality scan of this Maya-ShadowMaya/Artemis picture? It's a piece of Kaneko art I had never seen before until the other day, and its existence is maddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom