• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I hope that P5 is in a major city. Tatsumi Port Island was neat, but I couldn't really call it a "metropolis", at least from the areas we had access to. It'd be neat to see more emphasis on skyscrapers and huge shopping districts.

I hope that P5 is in a major city. Tatsumi Port Island was neat, but I couldn't really call it a "metropolis", at least from the areas we had access to. It'd be neat to see more emphasis on skyscrapers and huge shopping districts.
But every game since the history of mankind has been set in Tokyo.

They should set it on Catherine's space colony, or in a bamboo forest starring a cast of red pandas. Those are the only two environments left.

Sophia

You don't seem to play very long. I always see your posts an hour after you post em and it's offline.

He's annoying as shit. That terrible trope of "I'm a kid but act like I'm an adult". Only joins S.E.E.S in an attempt for revenge that ends up backfiring and getting a decent character killed. His persona is useless.

Yeah getting one of the greatest characters in the franchise killed and being useless as a result does tend to make you hated.

Dantis

This is actually what I'm picturing it as. I think it will be big and modern. Electronic music. Stylish clothes. That kind of thing.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Outside of being a whiney little kid Ken is just boring and in the way in P3. As fem protag he has a cute little crush but still mostly just an annoyance and a way to get a good character killed.

Although in the Japanese version it does turn Shota. :|

LuchaShaq

Banned
Although in the Japanese version it does turn Shota. :|

What would a literal translation of the text say? I can't imagine that not being super awkward.

(Assuming google was right about the word shota).

That would actually have been possibly interesting to me personally just because of how certain events occurred when I was about his age.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What would a literal translation of the text say? I can't imagine that not being super awkward.

(Assuming google was right about the word shota).

That would actually have been possibly interesting to me personally just because of how certain events occurred when I was about his age.

I dunno, I can't read Japanese, but according to the p3 Wiki, it does turn romantic. Whereas in the localization, they just turned it into a school boy crush.

He's annoying as shit. That terrible trope of "I'm a kid but act like I'm an adult". Only joins S.E.E.S in an attempt for revenge that ends up backfiring and getting a decent character killed. His persona is useless.

This is every party member in P3 except for like the dog and the robot, but that's only because the dog's personality is "I am a dog" and the robot's personality is "I am a robot" (and then later "I am a robot and I will always be beside you forever and ever and ever please finger bang my butterfly slot").

According to the Megaten wiki (I haven't played P3P) you can't start his social link with Ken until your courage is maxed out.

I know it's so your courage can rub off on him so he can overcome his shyness, but it's better to think you need that courage to make the taboo shota plunge.

Sophia

This is every party member in P3 except for like the dog and the robot, but that's only because the dog's personality is "I am a dog" and the robot's personality is "I am a robot" (and then later "I am a robot and I will always be beside you forever and ever and ever please finger bang my butterfly slot").

I don't recall being constantly told this about any other party member, except maybe Junpei in the name of humor. But with Ken it was all "Look at how mature he is!" over and over, despite the fact that he acts just like a 10 year old. :\

One of my friends who likes the series that the fact that the P3 group are NOT friends till the end and some of them are actively against each other or antagonistic makes P3's group dynamic way more interesting than 4's to him.

Taruranto

I really hope they make the towns more memorable and bigger (something akin to Shenmue, even if smaller, would be a dream, wouldn't it?)

P2 did it right, with tons of memorable NPC and places to see during the story. You could explore the police station, the TV, the temple, etc.

Dantis

I really hope they make the towns more memorable and bigger (something akin to Shenmue, even if smaller, would be a dream, wouldn't it?)

P2 did it right, with tons of memorable NPC and places to see during the story. You could explore the police station, the TV, the temple, etc.

Really doubt this will happen. I think more areas are possible, but we won't see anywhere near as much as there is in P2.

Poyunch

One of my friends who likes the series that the fact that the P3 group are NOT friends till the end and some of them are actively against each other or antagonistic makes P3's group dynamic way more interesting than 4's to him.

Everyone in P3 is an asshole to everyone else. Even Junpei has some grief with the P3 protag. They weren't friends, they were teammates.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Everyone in P3 is an asshole to everyone else. Even Junpei has some grief with the P3 protag. They weren't friends, they were teammates.

Pretty much, except Aegis. Junpei is mad because he didn't get picked to be the leader. But in the female route, he becomes a little more sympathetic towards her in his SL.

Dantis

Boomaloom! This is exactly what I've always said too. The difference in team dynamics is really interesting and cool. Makes me wonder what P5 will be like.

No, everyone in P3 has a life of their own. I preferred it that way instead of how everyone in P4 seems to worship the ground Yu stands on despite him being a silent, boring dude.

Did any of them even have friends before Yu shows up, besides Chie/Yukiko? The game's worship of the main character was one of my major grievances. Especially from Teddie and Yosuke.
Yosuke was pretty new to the area himself and had Saki (ho ho ho). He bonds well with Yu because they're both from the big city.

Kanji was anti-social and the rest of 'em were either new to the town or returning to town. Or they're Teddie.

The athletes had a ton of friends though!

Dantis

Did any of them even have friends before Yu shows up, besides Chie/Yukiko? The game's worship of the main character was one of my major grievances. Especially from Teddie and Yosuke.

You're missing the point. P4 is about a bunch of loners coming together to be super best friends. They're all outcasts for one reason or another, but they're actually normal people.

Yosuke moved to the city a year ago. Everyone knows him but he doesn't have any close friends.

Chie and Yukiko are buddies.

Kanji is intimidating and anti-social.

Naoto moves around a lot and is also socially handicapped.

Rise lives the sheltered life of an idol.

Teddie lives in a TV.

In all of the contexts, it makes perfect sense for them to not have many close friends. Real people go through phases like that, particularly at that age.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yosuke was pretty new to the area himself and had Saki (ho ho ho).

Kanji was anti-social and the rest of 'em were either new to the town or returning to town.

The athletes had a ton of friends though!

I would say he was friends with Chie/Yukiko, Chie did lend him a DVD after all. How many people would lend something to someone their weren't too familiar with?

Dantis

I would say he was friends with Chie/Yukiko, Chie did lend him a DVD after all. How many people would lend something to someone their weren't too familiar with?

Also true.

And he talks about how everyone knows him.

I think the idea is that he's one of those people who everyone likes, but isn't really close to anyone.

You're missing the point. P4 is about a bunch of loners coming together to be super best friends. They're all outcasts for one reason or another, but they're actually normal people.

Yosuke moved to the city a year ago. Everyone knows him but he doesn't have any close friends.

Teddie lives in a TV.

In all of the contexts, it makes perfect sense for them to not have many close friends. Real people go through phases like that, particularly at that age.

Which was laaaaaaaaame. It made me embarrassed that I was their hero. I preferred everyone being cold and too cool/smart to hang out with me in P3.

Squire

Banned

Teddie lives in a TV.

^Nailed it.

Also true.

I think the idea is that he's one of those people who everyone likes, but isn't really close to anyone.

Hell, if you do his S. Link you find out that isn't even the case. Especially this stuff about worshipping Yu?

Yosuke's S. Link contradicts your whole perception of him in particular, Supermanisdead or whatever your name is.

Dantis

Which was laaaaaaaaame. It made me embarrassed that I was their hero. I preferred everyone being cold and too cool/smart to hang out with me in P3.

But that's why it was so cool!

In P3, the protagonist is a weirdo and a loner. He hangs around with other oddballs and loners. Yukari talks about her girlfriends all the time, Mitsuru is off pretending she rules the world and Akihiko stares sullenly at the sunset in between punching people.

Tonally, Persona 4 was meant to be opposite of P3, so everyone is warm and fuzzy and best friends and yaaaaaay let's all have a group hug.

It would be neat if Persona 5 was in between these two extremes.

Or it went full MegaTen and removed all human NPCs except for like three other characters.

In between is Persona 2 but you think that was poorly done right :mad:

The characters in dungeon show more insight on how their friendships are. Kanji and Yosuke for example. Their banter shows how their relationship is. Yosuke teases him but they are buds. At one point Yosuke is rather sad about something and Kanji is silent out of respect for him as the game puts it.

Dantis

The characters in dungeon show more insight on how their friendships are. Kanji and Yosuke for example. Their banter shows how their relationship is. Yosuke teases him but they are buds. At one point Yosuke is rather sad about something and Kanji is silent out of respect for him as the game puts it.

One of my favourite scenes is when they're all sat around the table studying. Naoto offers to help Kanji with his work, Yosuke asks for help and she says she doesn't know because he's a year ahead, so he calls her useless. She gets flustered and they all laugh.

It really felt like the kind of banter you have in real life.

Squire

Banned
One of my favourite scenes is when they're all sat around the table studying. Naoto offers to help Kanji with his work, Yosuke asks for help and she says she doesn't know because he's a year ahead, so he calls her useless. She gets flustered and they all laugh.

It really felt like the kind of banter you have in real life.

Absolutely. The way they argue or rib each other or just talk is astoundingly believable. I've never seen another game do this.

Dantis

Absolutely. The way they argue or rib each other or just talk is astoundingly believable. I've never seen another game do this.

Uncharted is amazing for this. Mostly because they ad-lib a lot of it, and Nolan North is a hilarious person.

More games need it though. Most videogame dialogue is really awful.

Also true.

Yukari.

Uncharted is amazing for this. Mostly because they ad-lib a lot of it, and Nolan North is a hilarious person.

This is the point I go into my "P4/TitS/Planetscape/Uncharted should set a New Normal for game dialogue henceforth" spiel and I get depressive.

Squire

Banned

YES! I agree completely. The Uncharted performances are amazingly organic and believable.

You should watch the hidden camera footage in P3Fes, because it's super embarrassing the way everyone keeps fawning all over how ~cool~ and ~inspiring~ the hero is.

Remember when he was made the leader of SEES even though literally everyone involved had more experience than him?

You should watch the hidden camera footage in P3Fes, because it's super embarrassing the way everyone keeps fawning all over how ~cool~ and ~inspiring~ the hero is.

Remember when he was made the leader of SEES even though literally everyone involved had more experience than him?

He is only the field leader. The true leader is Mitsuru

Dantis

This is the point I go into my "P4/TitS/Planetscape/Uncharted should set a New Normal for game dialogue henceforth" spiel and I get depressive.

P3 and P4 just raise the bar for JRPGs in general. Little things like menu design, and the presentation of battles are miles ahead of everything else at the time. The HUD for them both is still better than anything else in JRPGs today.

...Is it? I remember it being little extra scenes... Junpei leaving his dorm door open to let in fresh air, Yukari trying on her maid outfit for the festival, Mitsuru revealing that she has no fashion sense...

P3 and P4 just raise the bar for JRPGs in general. Little things like menu design, and the presentation of battles are miles ahead of everything else at the time. The HUD for them both is still better than anything else in JRPGs today.

Raise the bar in some ways, lower it others

Taruranto

No, everyone in P3 has a life of their own. I preferred it that way instead of how everyone in P4 seems to worship the ground Yu stands on despite him being a silent, boring dude.

Oh yeah, you nailed it.

To me, P4 felt like self-insert gary stu fanfiction. In P3, and especially 2, i felt like the characters actually were alive and had a life on their own. In P2 you meet Lisa and Michelle's fathers, Lisa's friends at school, her teacher, you get a glimpse of Maya's work life and how the loss of her father affected her, you meet her best friend and visit her room, etc. I'm just making a short list, but it was amazing how much you learned about those characters and how they lived up to the point the joined the party.

Same deal in P3, i liked how in some days, the characters were simply unavailable because they had to take care of their own shit. (Mitsuru and her dad funeral, etc) It made you feel like you weren't at the center of the universe, and even if it was you how lead the party through the Tartarus it was Mitsuru who was basically the leader of the whole operation.

Sophia

He is only the field leader. The true leader is Mitsuru

Yup. They're very explicit that they only made him the field leader at the time because he had the most experience out of Yukari, Junpei and himself. It was easier just to keep him field leader than switch it up after Mitsuru could go back to combat/Akihiko got better.

Part of the reason Aigis was made Field Leader in The Answer; It was easy to continue as they had been going that way.

I wish more RPGs would take note of the presentation and quality of life improvements done. The slick user interface is way above that of some other RPGs this generation.

Dantis

and especially 2, i felt like the characters actually were alive and had a life on their own. In P2 you meet Lisa and Michelle's fathers, Lisa's friends at school, her teacher, you get a glimpse of Maya's work life and how the loss of her father affected her, you meet her best friend and visit her room, etc. I'm just making a short list, but it was amazing how much you learned about those characters and how they lived up to the point the joined the party.

I agree with this. It's weird that you never meet anyone's parents or siblings, and you never visit their houses or whatever.

Lowered it? Mmmm, not sure about that one. Maybe in terms of level design, I guess?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You should have dated Ai.

This thread's really just an excuse to post this
tumblr_mfk20vkPvt1qerudfo8_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom