• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. It's weird that you never meet anyone's parents or siblings, and you never visit their houses or whatever.

Lowered it? Mmmm, not sure about that one. Maybe in terms of level design, I guess?

I'm on my iPhone, so I'll explain why I said that in like 15 or so minutes.

Lunar15

It honestly comes down to the story they were trying to tell. P4 is about being able to open up and reveal deep secrets, which takes a really strong bond between close friends. It makes sense that P4's MC is so revered, because he's the one that went in and saved each and everyone of them and has seen everyone's shadows. He has to be a character that everyone trusts.

P3 is telling an entirely different story. It's less about opening up to others and more about the fear of impending death. That type of fear makes people act irrational and irritable towards each other, so it's no surprise that the P3 team is more divided.

Sophia

My very first Megaten back in the ps1 days

I think it was for most of us, but the cast of characters were done better in P2, and virtually all of it's plot elements were done better in SMT If.., Persona 2, or Persona 3.

Plus, fuck that tarot card system. >.<;

Dantis

I think it was for most of us, but the cast of characters were done better in P2, and virtually of it's plot elements were done better in SMT If.., Persona 2, or Persona 3.

Not me.

We didn't get any until Nocturne. :3

I hope the p5 people aren't super best friends like in p4(or at least not in the beginning). A group of people who is only working together for their own selfish reasons would be awesome(they could become friends towards the end when the fool social link is close to maxing out though). I wouldn't Atlus killing off a few of the main characters as time goes on. I liked Shinji's death in p3 but he was only there for like 3 seconds. I didn't have anytime to get attached to him. I also wonder who's going to be in the velvet room. I think there is a chance Igor won't be there. I also wonder which Frankenstein character they are going to base the assistant off of.

I think it was for most of us, but the cast of characters were done better in P2, and virtually of it's plot elements were done better in SMT If.., Persona 2, or Persona 3.

I'll always have a certain fondness for P1 and a certain amount of disdain for P3, plus the tarot system was much simpler and faster to manage in P1 over P2

Sophia

I'll always have a certain fondness for P1 and a certain amount of disdain for P3, plus the tarot system was much simpler and faster to manage in P1 over P2

This is true about the tarot system. However, I still don't like it, and seeing as it was beaten to death and dropped in a fire, it can stay there. :|

I'm kinda interested in which Nietzsche work they'll base Persona 5 off of. Persona 4 was "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense", and Persona 3 was "Thus Spoke Zarathustra."

Maybe Twilight of the Idols or The Will to Power?

She's not wrong
She's not right.

I do enjoy Digital Devil Saga, for what it's worth, and would gladly like another game in it's style. :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think it was for most of us, but the cast of characters were done better in P2, and virtually all of it's plot elements were done better in SMT If.., Persona 2, or Persona 3.

P3 was mine. I kinda got out of RPGs back when I had a PSX, I had FFVII and all but something just soured me. I dunno, I really didn't get back into them until I got FES pretty cheap.

This is true about the tarot system. However, I still don't like it, and seeing as it was beaten to death and dropped in a fire, it can stay there. :|

I'm kinda interested in which Nietzsche work they'll base Persona 5 off of. Persona 4 was "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense", and Persona 3 was "Thus Spoke Zarathustra."

Maybe Twilight of the Idols or The Will to Power?

I do enjoy Digital Devil Saga, for what it's worth, and would gladly like another game in it's style. :p

Were you a Philosophy major? :p

Though yeah, the tarot system can eat shit. Negotiating is so much better.

He is only the field leader. The true leader is Mitsuru

He was made field leader in between scenes of multiple characters telling him how great and special and unique he is, and the qualifications were apparently "Because he won't hesitate to summon his Persona" even though Yukari was spamming Garu at the rooftop shadow in the opening, so apparently her hesitation is a complete non-issue.

See this is why I like you guys, the megaten fandom has a tendancy to fight against each other, but all y'all are awesome...most of you......my opinion is the law.

Sophia

He was made field leader in between scenes of multiple characters telling him how great and special and unique he is, and the qualifications were apparently "Because he won't hesitate to summon his Persona" even though Yukari was spamming Garu at the rooftop shadow in the opening, so apparently her hesitation is a complete non-issue.

I think you need to replay Persona 3, given Yukari wasn't spamming anything. She couldn't even pull the trigger. That was the shadow casting stuff at her.

They made him field leader simply because out of the three, he had the most experience, and they stuck with it because it worked out so well.

Than what's your best guess for P5's base? Hashino said quite a while ago they had the focus and themes set in stone.

No idea, I have an idea of what can be ruled out tho. Persona 3 had elements of Beyond Good and Evil, so that could be ruled out, and I don't think they'd do The Anti-Christ given that's a bit too mainline SMT. They haven't done the theme of Eternal Recurrence yet tho, so maybe that?

Raidou versus King Abaddon is the second best Megaten game on the PS2, right behind Nocturne.
Game was amazing, but the entire time while playing it I couldn't get this version of Abaddon out of my head.

Abaddon.png

Constantly waiting for Dahn to yawn and turn into that.

Sophia

If you really believe P3 and P4 were based on those works and that P5 will follow suit, it really doesn't matter at all because the concepts will be so watered down that they're meaningless.

On the contrary, they're among the few games to use the concepts correctly, and they're not nearly as convoluted as say... Xenogears or Xenosaga.

P3 is terrible, so I'd prefer not to.

At least refresh yourself of the details then by YouTube or the MegaTen wiki, given you seem to have forgotten the beginning of the game.

Dantis

You have a broken memory.

ok now that im home, basically the social link, while a novel new concept, stifles character development and regulates it to an optional side thing that is not reflected in the main plot. This is far more prevalent in P4 than P3

Dude you've got your memories mixed up XD

wasn't he made field leader because they saw his two Persona's along with the no hesitation thing and the whole took out a big shadow by himself deal?

Dantis

wasn't he made field leader because they saw his two Persona's along with the no hesitation thing and the whole took out a big shadow by himself deal?

He's made the leader originally because the team consists of Junpei, Yukari and him. None have ever fought Shadows, but he killed the one on the rooftop so he's the most experienced. Akihiko is injured at this point.

Akihiko returns, but by this point he's a super-boss. Everyone is used to him being in charge so it makes sense for it to stay that way.

Like I say, dude has a broken memory.

There it is. It's a reason why Megaten is so damn good.

Megaten itself is rather shallow with those concepts, Persona itself is the one overflowing with those neat concepts. most other Megaten's deal with straight forward gods fuckin shit up concepts. Nocturne and DDS 1/2 have some of those concepts though.

Inorigo, you can be a Megaten fan and not like Persona 3,4. Hell, I know Persona fans that dislike the rest of egaten and P1 and 2....going with that, Persona fans that dislike the rest of Megaten and P3/4

Dantis

Megaten itself is rather shallow with those concepts, Persona itself is the one overflowing with those neat concepts. most other Megaten's deal with straight forward gods fuckin shit up concepts. Nocturne and DDS 1/2 have some of those concepts though.

Inorigo, you can be a Megaten fan and not like Persona 3,4. Hell, I know Persona fans that dislike the rest of egaten and P1 and 2....going with that, Persona fans that dislike the rest of Megaten and P3/4

DDS is really, really heavy in the Buddhist stuff though.

Sophia

The mainline MegaTen games often delt with different concepts anyhow. Although they've gotten better about it with all the Post SMT3 games.

Are the Majin Tensei games (specifically Ronde) as bad as I've heard they are?

Yup. Not too many games use Buddhism and Hinduism as concepts.

Squire

Banned
Inorigo, you can be a Megaten fan and not like Persona 3,4. Hell, I know Persona fans that dislike the rest of Megaten and P1 and 2....going with that, Persona fans that dislike the rest of Megaten and P3/4

I know, but at a certain point it's like, "Why even post?"

Do you even like the games? I'm about 3/4 seriously asking, too.

P3 and P4 are pretty bad.

You might like MT1 and 2 if you liked Fire Emblem a whole lot, and you might like RONDE if you enjoy crappy Sega Saturn games.

I know, but at a certain point it's like, "Why even post?"

Because the Persona series encompasses more than just P3 and P4? I know people really, really like dating their animes and their cool Nietzsche (lololol), but there's more to the series than that. Hope that helps!

The mainline MegaTen games often delt with different concepts anyhow. Although they've gotten better about it with all the Post SMT3 games.

Majin Tensei 1 and Spiral are pretty damn good. There is a reason why Ronde was such a massive disappointment to fans back then, and it was that 1 and Spiral Nemesis were good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkyzvfObKRQ

Cool and long song

Yea I was talkin how the rest of the series lacks in the psychological themes, but it makes up for it with rich mythological theming.

Squire

Banned
P3 and P4 are pretty bad.

*snicker* Wow. To each their own, I guess.

TurnipFritters said:
Because the Persona series encompasses more than just P3 and P4? I know people really, really like dating their animes and their cool Nietzsche (lololol), but there's more to the series than that. Hope that helps!

Pfft. Speak for yourself. I don't view either game anywhere near as reductively as you seem to.

*snicker* Wow. To each their own, I guess.

I used to think P3 completely ruined the Persona series back in the day. These days I still say its the worst one, or tied with Persona 1, but I say that in a series where I think every game in it so far has been pretty damn good to one of my favorite games of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom