• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

The fingers are gloves and Soejima's artbook shows they can be concealed as well, her feet are covered by school shoes, and most people probably assume the ears are headphones.

Gekkoukhan's uniform policy is surprisingly lenient. >_>;

The first time I saw her, I thought they were headphones, to be fair.

dan2026

Persona 5 defiantly needs to take it out of the school setting.

There are only so many times you can 'join the sports club, join the music club, go on a school trip etc' before it gets really stale.

Even though it had many flaws I think Catherine was a step in the right direction.
Adult characters in a work place setting is rife for high drama.

Dantis

There are only so many times you can 'join the sports club, join the music club, go on a school trip etc' before it gets really stale.

Even though it had many flaws I think Catherine was a step in the right direction.

Madness.

I'd like it if Persona 5's art was less P4G/P4 Arena and more Catherine though. He really cranked up the cartoon style in the last two games.

Squire

Banned

I feel like the infrequent release of the games almost voids that perspective completely. P4 first released in 2008 and people like the school setting. You'll be very hard pressed to fine someone actually trying to leverage staleness as a complaint about 5 if and when it releases.

It's the same for any popular series with a schtick that takes time off, really. The developers know something most people (and especially companies that annualized their games) don't or don't seem to realize:

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

dan2026

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

I do kind of agree with you.
Staleness was perhaps the wrong word.

Lets say instead I feel that Persona has the potential to evolve into more than just a series of high school dramas.

Not that there is anything wrong with the setting per se, I just want something new.

Dantis

I do kind of agree with you.
Staleness was perhaps the wrong word.

Lets say instead I feel that Persona has the potential to evolve into more than just a series of high school dramas.

Not that there is anything wrong with the setting per se, I just want something new.

That was exactly why they made Catherine. Hashino and Soejima said they didn't want to tire the team out on Persona, so they'd work on something that was completely different.

I have a feeling P5 will still be set in a high school.

As an aside, I've been thinking, and I think Meguro will go electronic for the soundtrack. He goes with a different theme in all his games, and the last time he did electronic stuff was DDS. I think Persona 5 will be back to the cool, modern style, and an electronic OST would fit that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of Catherine, I just replayed it again. One of the top PS3 games IMO.

Also, Catherine should be called
Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine.
I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. :p

Dantis

Speaking of Catherine, I just replayed it again. One of the top PS3 games IMO.

Also, Catherine should be called
Shin Megami Tensei: Catherine.
I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. :p

I consider it a Persona spinoff in my head anyway. There are some major similarities.

I wouldn't rule out anything, but chances are P5 will be in a high school, yeah.
I wonder if a university setting will work well? Although, the use of high school does allow it to have a schedule much better regulated, so yeah more than likely it'll be a high school, as pretty much all Persona's have been set within that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
That was exactly why they made Catherine. Hashino and Soejima said they didn't want to tire the team out on Persona, so they'd work on something that was completely different.

I have a feeling P5 will still be set in a high school.

I hope if they do this they at least say they are like 18.

I don't want a hot coffee mod or an lol bad bioware sex scene but stuff like 10% implied sex on certain dates/xmas night etc are just kinda awkward.

I wonder if a university setting will work well? Although, the use of high school does allow it to have a schedule much better regulated, so yeah more than likely it'll be a high school, as pretty much all Persona's have been set within that.

Japanese University has much much less free time than the typical US experience.

.JayZii

Banned
Japanese University has much much less free time than the typical US experience.
That's not really true. Tons of people in Japanese university just fuck off and copy/cheat off one of the few people who does all the note taking and studying. That what I've heard from a lot of Japanese exchange students and several of my Japanese professors at least.

Dantis

Dantis, not callin you out because they ARE great at their jobs but, you sure are a Meguro/Hashino/Soejima fanboy :p

I suuuuuuuure am. No idea why either. I hate anime and I dislike most pop and rock music.

I hope if they do this they at least say they are like 18.

I don't want a hot coffee mod or an lol bad bioware sex scene but stuff like 10% implied sex on certain dates/xmas night etc are just kinda awkward.

They didn't bother me in vanilla P4, but they laid it on pretty thick in Golden.

I thought they were rather tastefully done, and even had Naoto's great "<1m" line.

I mean, they are kids, young kids no less, possibly having their first sexual experience. It certainly implies some botty bumpin', but it's left ambiguous enough to let your imagination fill in that scene with whatever amount you're comfortable with.

I think anything but fading to black would has a 99% chance of coming off as completely TERRIBLE.

If anything, the Christmas/Eve Valentine stuff suffers because you have to choose between an intimate moment between your companions, or arguably some of the best jokes when spending it with "the boys". You also get nothing if you choose to spend it alone. I wanted to see the MC eating cake alone in a dark room and regretting wondering what the hell he was doing. Maybe he should have gone to see Adachi in prison, hawwwww.

I abused the save/reload mechanic but it felt like utterly cheating. I think in P4 Vanilla you're not given the option of saving after the December dungeon, so it forces you to commit, which is a frustrating but appropriate touch.

That's not really true. Tons of people in Japanese university just fuck off and copy/cheat off one of the few people who does all the note taking and studying. That what I've heard from a lot of Japanese exchange students and several of my Japanese professors at least.
Yeah, from what I heard from my Japanese friends is that the entrance exams are unbelievably hard, but once you're in you're at a very relaxed pace and people skip all the time. It's more about the prestige of just making it into a high profile university.

I mean, Meguro sure is the best modern musician guy, but Kenichi Tsuchiya and the rest sure are talanted too. Soejima is also boss, but Kaneko man, Kaneko. Finally.....Hashino is a baller, but I still miss Kozy Okoda and Satomi Tadashi.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
If anything, the Christmas/Eve Valentine stuff suffers because you have to choose between an intimate moment between your companions, or arguably some of the best jokes when spending it with "the boys". You also get nothing if you choose to spend it alone. I wanted to see the MC eating cake alone in a dark room and regretting wondering what the hell he was doing. Maybe he should have gone to see Adachi in prison, hawwwww.

Hmm, I saw a picture of something like that. Only it has more to do with the accomplice ending.

dan2026

I wouldn't mind a bit more spice in my 'sex scenes'.

That's another reason I would prefer older characters, otherwise it defiantly straddles the creepy/icky line.

See
Stephen King's IT
for more details.

id prefer, "sex scenes" be kept to a minimum in my megaten because almost any game has not managed to make the sex scenes tasteful and not...well..stupid and tacked on.

Dantis

No sex scenes. Keep it how it is.

At the moment, it's ambiguous, and in something like Persona, that's how it should be.

As a side note, it would be really interesting if characters outside of the protagonist had relationships in future games.

dan2026

id prefer, "sex scenes" be kept to a minimum in my megaten because almost any game has not managed to make the sex scenes tasteful and not...well..stupid and tacked on.

Yeah but they are never going to improve unless people try.
Maybe the Persona series isn't the best place to start, but I am really tired of half-assed shit like we get in Mass Effect.

Dantis

Yeah but they are never going to improve unless people try.
Maybe the Persona series isn't the best place to start, but I am really tired of half-assed shit like we get in Mass Effect.

Play Witcher 2.

Keep sex scenes out of MegaTen in general.

Catherine handled sex strangely maturely. I wouldn't want them to take it any further than that.

^thats because Catherine was designed as a mature take on the themes of sex, marriage, cheating, love, etc. The advertising sold Catherine short really.

No sex scenes. Keep it how it is.

At the moment, it's ambiguous, and in something like Persona, that's how it should be.

As a side note, it would be really interesting if characters outside of the protagonist had relationships in future games.

This happened in previous games because the dating mechanics were not there, this will never happen now. They was already fan outrage at the interest Chie had for Akihiko in Persona 4 Arena.

dan2026

Play Witcher 2.

Catherine handled sex strangely maturely. I wouldn't want them to take it any further than that.

Oh I though the sex in The Witcher 2 was handled quite well and in Catherine as well.

I am just tired of the common opinion that sex in games = distasteful.
Aren't games trying to address mature themes more and more these days?
Isn't sex a mature theme?

The killing of innocents in
Spec Ops the Line
and Call of Duty could be considered distasteful but it didn't stop them exploring it. Perhaps not well, but that's another argument.

They was already fan outrage at the interest Chie had for Akihiko in Persona 4 Arena.

Also this sounds hilarious, care to elaborate?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This happened in previous games because the dating mechanics were not there, this will never happen now. They was already fan outrage at the interest Chie had for Akihiko in Persona 4 Arena.

And I don't even think it was "love" it was more out of respect.

Dantis

^thats because Catherine was designed as a mature take on the themes of sex, marriage, cheating, love, etc. The advertising sold Catherine short really.

Hilariously, that's Soejima's fault. He was talking about how they were trying to sell the game to the higher-ups, and he drew the picture of Catherine with her legs open and then Vincent's head level with her crotch.

I guess it worked though.

Fuck those fans. Seriously. (Although the Chie and Akihiko part of Arena was lame and crap)

It would make for a really interesting dynamic, and would really add believability to the characters.

I think it's possible. It would genuinely feel like a proper advancement. Keep in mind that Persona 3 and 4 really aren't dating simulators (Golden arguably moves them further towards that though), they're more like social/life sims.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Oh I though the sex in The Witcher 2 was handled quite well and in Catherine as well.

I am just tired of the common opinion that sex in games = distasteful.

I agree wholeheartedly! Seriously.

It has to fit the context though. Catherine handled it maturely. These are characters who are all adults, and the concept of adult relationships without sex would childish and silly.

On the other hand, Persona is about coming to terms with teenage problems, really. It's about finding your place in the world, you know? Persona doesn't shy away from sex (Characters are mentioned to sleep around, and that kind of thing), but it's not in-your-face about it. That's a mature way to handle it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This generation is in its last year basically. Unless its planning to be a swan song for the PS3, but then again, I thought The Last of Us claimed that title.

Even if they do, P4 came out in 08. Which was what, 2 years into the 360/PS3 era? Maybe it will be, it surely was one on the PS2.

Hilariously, that's Soejima's fault. He was talking about how they were trying to sell the game to the higher-ups, and he drew the picture of Catherine with her legs open and then Vincent's head level with her crotch.

I guess it worked though.

Fuck those fans. Seriously. (Although the Chie and Akihiko part of Arena was lame and crap)

It would make for a really interesting dynamic, and would really add believability to the characters.

I think it's possible. It would genuinely feel like a proper advancement. Keep in mind that Persona 3 and 4 really aren't dating simulators (Golden arguably moves them further towards that though), they're more like social/life sims.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I agree wholeheartedly! Seriously.

It has to fit the context though. Catherine handled it maturely. These are characters who are all adults, and the concept of adult relationships without sex would childish and silly.

On the other hand, Persona is about coming to terms with teenage problems, really. It's about finding your place in the world, you know? Persona doesn't shy away from sex (Characters are mentioned to sleep around, and that kind of thing), but it's not in-your-face about it. That's a mature way to handle it.

Well according to you (yes im generalising cuz its fun but i only kid) every single thing in arena is lame and crap, despite not actually understanding the context.

"It would make for a really interesting dynamic, and would really add believability to the characters."

I made this argument on gamefaqs at one point. Some agreed on me, some shit on me saying it takes away "player choice"

I really think so too. I am in a state of constant anticipation.

I'd much rather have it as a console release.

Which is fortunate, because I'm 99% sure it will be.

If they continue their trend of Console release first then remaster several years later on a portable, I don't mind one bit. That said, Day 1 on Vita would be sweet as hell.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well according to you (yes im generalising cuz its fun but i only kid) every single thing in arena is lame and crap, despite not actually understanding the context.

"It would make for a really interesting dynamic, and would really add believability to the characters."

I made this argument on gamefaqs at one point. Some agreed on me, some shit on me saying it takes away "player choice"

There's your problem.

Dantis

HAR HAR.

And screw player choice. You really don't need to be able to bang every woman under the sun for it to be a great game.

If they continue their trend of Console release first then remaster several years later on a portable, I don't mind one bit. That said, Day 1 on Vita would be sweet as hell.

Yeah, it'd be cool if they did it like P3P and P4G, where they extended a few years down the line.

Dantis

Dantis : Secretly works for Atlus Japan. D:

That's the dream! ;_;

But seriously, creating it on Vita and PS3 simultaneously would be essentially creating two games, because the architecture is so different. Playstation All Stars was farmed out to BluePoint for the Vita version so that SuperBot could focus all their efforts on the PS3.

Atlus have no way near enough money to hire someone like BluePoint. :p

And he's gonna ruin the reputation from within of those who pitched P4 Arena XD.

My scheme is discovered!

hitmon

Just finished the story mode of Persona 4 Arena. Though there were many endings, has there been mention of one of them being canon or is P4A just a spinoff? It would be interesting if Persona 5 continues off P4A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom