• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin Tensei 1 and Spiral are pretty damn good. There is a reason why Ronde was such a massive disappointment to fans back then, and it was that 1 and Spiral Nemesis were good.

Oh yeah, they're really unbalanced. Like, they try to do something like the weapons triangle from Fire Emblem, but with demon races, and it... it just doesn't work out. The magic using races are way underpowered, and virtually any of the races with wings exist in a state of mutually assured destruction and the Jirae replacement clan is completely broken, and...

*snicker* Wow. To each their own, I guess.

You can have the dating sims. You can have all of them. I don't want them. Please take them.

I thought the MegaTen franchise was about gods fucking it up for the rest of us?

DDS is about power hungry humans making a god fuck everything up for the rest of us

Oh yeah, they're really unbalanced. Like, they try to do something like the weapons triangle from Fire Emblem, but with demon races, and it... it just doesn't work out. The magic using races are way underpowered, and virtually any of the races with wings exist in a state of mutually assured destruction and the Jirae replacement clan is completely broken, and...

True but they were still liked well enough back then, not classics, but pretty good games. Ronde is like one of the worst games.

Squire

Banned
I used to think P3 completely ruined the Persona series back in the day. These days I still say its the worst one, or tied with Persona 1, but I say that in a series where I think every game in it so far has been pretty damn good to one of my favorite games of all time

I don't even really like P3, but "pretty bad"? It sounds silly to me, to be completely honest.

^well of course it is, but remember, I was once one of those "P3 RUINED PERSONA" guys, so I can kind of understand where hes coming from.

They arent dating sims, some of the more "rabid" P3/4 fandom makes it all about the waifus, but its more of a social/life sim. You dont have to date anyone. The dating is just a small part that gets way played up. Kind of sad that they peg it more as a date sim than a life sim.

Dantis

They arent dating sims, some of the more "rabid" P3/4 fandom makes it all about the waifus, but its more of a social/life sim. You dont have to date anyone. The dating is just a small part that gets way played up. Kind of sad that they peg it more as a date sim than a life sim.

Correct.

And that is why I hate a certain part of the fanbase.

Correct.

And that is why I hate a certain part of the fanbase.

Though they fucked up majorly when only the females on your team could be slinked in 3 and you could ONLY romance females in 3 for the most part, no friend routes. Another one of the lowering standards I mentioned earlier. Good thing P4 fixed it, but they messed up slinks in another way.

Sophia

I like the social elements and life sim elements, and they make me feel really good when I've fused a Persona and it pays off in the form of five levels and all of its abilities at once. >.>;

Though they fucked up majorly when only the females on your team could be slinked in 3 and you could ONLY romance females in 3 for the most part, no friend routes. Another one of the lowering standards I mentioned earlier.

Yeah, the female route in Persona 3 Portable was much better in this regard. They took the lessons from P4 and applied them there. It's why I hope she appears alongside the male protagonist in the movies, because she just fits in so naturally with the cast.

To be fair, I think a majority of the vocal "P3/4 are just dating sims" detractors using that as an excuse to write them off and have no interest in jRPGs to begin with.

Nope, quite a bit of jrpg fans wont touch them because of that, and P1/2 fans, and Megaten fans even. I see it all over.

Yeah, the female route in Persona 3 Portable was much better in this regard. They took the lessons from P4 and applied them there. It's why I hope she appears alongside the male protagonist in the movies, because she just fits in so naturally with the cast.
That would INCREDIBLE if she was retroactively added as a member of the team.

"You feel a faint bond forming between you and TurnipFritters..." >.>;

We're slowly starting to understand you! Or something...

Sorry, this SLink is broken.

^well of course it is, but remember, I was once one of those "P3 RUINED PERSONA" guys, so I can kind of understand where hes coming from.

Aren't you forced into dating the girls in P3 if you try to get so far in their SLinks? Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall a lot of people being happy that you could choose to friendzone girls in P4.

Nevermind, you answered this already. Although I will say that "It's not really a dating sim, you get to go to school and sit through lectures and take exams and fold envelopes for $$$" is not exactly a good selling point either :)

Dantis

To be fair, I think a majority of the vocal "P3/4 are just dating sims" detractors using that as an excuse to write them off and have no interest in jRPGs to begin with.

My problem is when people start talking about Naoto being their waifu or how hot Chie is or the various other creepy things people say.

When somebody talks about a DOA character like that, it makes sense to me (To the extent that wanting to bang a non-existant person can make sense), but Persona's character aren't sexualised, and actually have personalities, so it just comes off as really fucking creepy.

Sophia

That would INCREDIBLE if she was retroactively added as a member of the team.

And it's not like it's hard to do. Half the work is already done courtesy of the drama CDs giving her a very distinct personality. She just needs a name and a replacement Persona for Orpheus.

Sorry, this SLink is broken.

Noo my bonus experience! Damnit!

My problem is when people start talking about Naoto being their waifu or how hot Chie is or the various other creepy things people say.

When somebody talks about a DOA character like that, it makes sense to me, but Persona's character aren't sexualised, and actually have personalities, so it just comes off as really fucking creepy.

Yeah same here, but I get that way about a lot of franchises. It's just no fun when people get overly excessive and sexualised about their favorite characters.

demidar

Anyone do the Hanged Man S. Link is P4? It was surprisingly not as dour as I expected, but I never reached the end before the ending chain of events happened.

Dantis

Yeah same here, but I get that way about a lot of franchises. It's just no fun when people get overly excessive and sexualised about their favorite characters.

I've never seen another franchise where it's so heavily a thing with the fanbase though (This may be because I don't play anime games, to be fair). It's fucking everywhere you look, even GAF. And it drives up the bloody wall.

Pfft I'm at least worth three Soma.

Mate, you're not even worth an Odd Morsel.

I've never seen another franchise where it's so heavily a thing with the fanbase though (This may be because I don't play anime games, to be fair). It's fucking everywhere you look, even GAF. And it drives up the bloody wall.

Its hilarious how I say jokingly that Persona...has a Persona. Many of the fans don't see anything but the animu and the waifus it provides.

Pfft I'm at least worth three Soma.

If I give you the damn Somas, you better not fucking go this isn't a charity and demand like 200 MAG and then give me 100 MAG back for no reason.

Squire

Banned

When somebody talks about a DOA character like that, it makes sense to me (To the extent that wanting to bang a non-existant person can make sense), but Persona's character aren't sexualised, and actually have personalities, so it just comes off as really fucking creepy.

Fetishizing characters is always creepy, but I think the believability of the characters in P4 give them a certain legitimate appeal.

I agree with Trugger though. Yukiko's bedroom eyes hit you like a ton of bricks.

Just teasing!

Mostly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

That's weird, I find it a lot creepier that someone just wants to bang a video game character because of their video game looks rather than their personality/story.

I've never seen another franchise where it's so heavily a thing with the fanbase though (This may be because I don't play anime games, to be fair). It's fucking everywhere you look, even GAF. And it drives up the bloody wall..

Same, It really makes me cringe. I appreciate most of the things these same people like, but because of these kind of things It's incredibly hard for me to associate with them in the real world, let alone a forum like this.

You play Persona. It is Anime Games. It is like the Most Anime Game to ever come out in NA.

Mate, you're not even worth an Odd Morsel.

I know I'm worth more, that's why I said three Soma?

Taruranto

Not to the defend the waifufans, but what did you guys expect lol. Characters like Chie and Naoto are especially designed to appeal Otaku. I mean, you should have see it coming.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ai is tsundere done right.
Marie is 99% of tsundere.
Bow down, Marie.
Hahaha, poor Marie.

Not to the defend the waifufans, but what did you guys expect lol. Characters like Chie and Naoto are especially designed to appeal Otaku. I mean, you should have see it coming.
They ALL are though. The only type missing is the senpai/older girl type. But they dealt with that in P3 I suppose.

Sophia

I get the feeling you don't deal with much modern anime often, if at all.

Persona is several orders of magnitude more thoughtful than 99% of anime.

There are a great deal of anime I'd watch and anime games I'd play if the fanservice wasn't so thoughtless. No I DON'T like it when your damn girl has breasts the sizes of the moon or the 15 year old is giving a panty shot. -_-

Or nobody is wearing pants period. Or your main character is a shameless pervert wearing panties on their head and never drawn right.

Well, with Golden, it seems that Atlus is catering to that exact crowd, so it's here to stay sadly. I wouldn't be surprised the Persona franchise gets more and more sexualized as the games so on.

The stuff in Golden is nothing. I wouldn't even notice some of it had Dantis not pointed it out in the first place.

There are a great deal of anime I'd watch and anime games I'd play if the fanservice wasn't so thoughtless. No I DON'T like it when your damn girl has breasts the sizes of the moon or the 15 year old is giving a panty shot. -_-

Or nobody is wearing pants period. Or your main character is a shameless pervert wearing panties on their head and never drawn right.

The stuff in Golden is nothing. I wouldn't even notice some of it had Dantis not pointed it out in the first place.

yo devil survivor 2

devil-survivor-2-pv-001.jpg

Squire

Banned

Seriously. Dantis has gone on record that he hates anime. I have a really hard getting into them. Like, once in a blue moon I find something I like and even then I have nothing I can name that holds a candle to what's done in and of P4.

We're totally not playing these because we love or even like anime TF.

She dead.

Cold like Bufudyne.

Dantis

Well, with Golden, it seems that Atlus is catering to that exact crowd, so it's here to stay sadly. I wouldn't be surprised the Persona franchise gets more and more sexualized as the games so on.

Hashino didn't direct it. That's how I justify it to myself.

Soejima worked on it, but... I dunno. Maybe he just did what he was told? Things like Naoto's massive boobs go against his design philosophies. Heck, he was told to make Catherine's chest bigger, because she wasn't sexualised enough, and Naoto's is even bigger than that.

I remain hopeful that Persona 5 will be back to normal.

Yeah don't remind me. Same with Io. Why ruin such a perfectly good character design with massive unrealistic breasts like that? -_-

Dancer or not, her outfit mixed with her boob sizes is weird and abnormal and not at all likely to stay on. >_>;

Shes actually a pretty good character personality wise. She is brave and no nonsense, she is scared but understands she has to do what she has to do, sort of a subversion of Yuzu, even though she was ok too.

I dont like anime much at all either btw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hate anime, and I really enjoyed 99% of Golden. Like I said before, though I don't want to harp on her more, Marie was the only character that gave me the same reaction I do to anime. The dialogue's just much more natural in Persona 4 or even 3 than it is in anime.

And I don't really think people should complain too much about Persona being light hearted. Isn't EVERY other SMT game dark? Maybe there are people at Atlus who want to be able to make a goofy moment every so often.

I also predict Persona 5 will just be called 'Persona 5'. I'd be surprised if SMT is on the cover.

Sophia

Seriously. Dantis has gone on record that he hates anime. I have a really hard getting into them. Like, once in a blue moon I find something I like and even then I have nothing I can name that holds a candle to what's done in and of P4.

We're totally not playing these because we love or even like anime TF.

I'm more tolerant than Dantis is, but I can't ignore fanservice when it's so shameless.

Shes actually a pretty good character personality wise. She is brave and no nonsense, she is scared but understands she has to do what she has to do, sort of a subversion of Yuzu, even though she was ok too.

I dont like anime much at all either btw.

Yeah I know she's well written, but it just reminds me of like Strike Witches. I can't simply get past how absurd that one element is. :\

And I do like anime myself, just not the shameless moe-blob and overly fanservicy stuff.

Hinako was funny because she was the only character who seemed to "get" the whole "we're supposed to be beating up demons" thing, and she keeps popping up in everyone else's events running around to help civilians and stuff. Given how completely indifferent most of the cast is to the current predicament, it was kind of refreshing.

Squire

Banned
They've reached the point where they're different franchises, pretty much. SMT branding is nowhere to be found in Golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom