• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Huh..guess those are speakers then.

Man,the Kirjo group really has thing for robo girls.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another in P5.

She's not part of the Kirjio group, apparently. She works at Junes... >_>;

Between her, the ripping off of Kara no Kyoukai, and Naoto having implausibly long hair, I really hate that novel... D:

CSX

She's not part of the Kirjio group, apparently. She works at Junes... >_>;

Between her, the ripping off of Kara no Kyoukai, and Naoto having implausibly long hair, I really hate that novel... D:

It rips off Kara no Kyoukai???!!

Now im interested...

CSX

Not in a good way. >_>;

One of the characters is name Touko Aoi, and is pretty blatantly based off Touko from the movie version of Kara no Kyoukai.

googled her.

Looks exactly like her..and she even smokes???!!

Has Type Moon sued yet lol?

kuroshiki

Don't say such horrible things!

I don't see anything wrong with it. Current persona game is already heavily influenced with dating sim genre. I think it will be fine.

I just hope Atlus doesn't pull Arc System Work's shitty writing incorporated with the background story of P5.

What's a Love Hina?

And does anybody think that dark=mature? I think that Atlus does dark very well, but sometimes the enigmatic darkness is a bullshit cover to hide that a game lacks mature complexity.

Ooh the walls are bleeding, so edgy man, so dark... so misunderstood and dark...

Yeah, fuck that.

P5 is just gonna straight up be Love Hina.

7y5cS.gif

What's a Love Hina?

And does anybody think that dark=mature? I think that Atlus does dark very well, but sometimes the enigmatic darkness is a bullshit cover to hide that a game lacks mature complexity.

Ooh the walls are bleeding, so edgy man, so dark... so misunderstood and dark...

Yeah, fuck that.

Love Hina was a really over the top harem-anime that had a buncha girls slowly falling for a doofy college failure. It is everything Persona should not be. But also hilarious.

P3 was dangerously close to high school poetry 'dark', but it toed the line safely until near the end. The ending made up for it! P4 was pitch perfect for me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
P5 is just gonna straight up be Love Hina.

the others already played like a harem anime with the girls s.links.

I like the cast to be more mature this time, like the MC could be a police detective or something. P2:EP was refreshing in this sense because none of the characters were high schoolers.

Love Hina was a really over the top harem-anime that had a buncha girls slowly falling for a doofy college failure. It is everything Persona should not be. But also hilarious.

P3 was dangerously close to high school poetry 'dark', but it toed the line safely until near the end. The ending made up for it! P4 was pitch perfect for me.

Thanks, Love Hina's plot sounds like fun.

I hope that P5 is bright and colorful and social, so that when you least expect it, the deaths and losses and challenges will have even more impact. I'd love for it to be based in America Mura, Osaka - vivid and lots of neon and music, but full of scum bags and crooked cops that lurk in the night.

What's a Love Hina?

Yeah, fuck that.
As long as it isn't like p4 I really dint care. Playing p2 right now and I think it has just what I was looking for. Dark but not taking it to far. It also balances it out with look hearted moments as well.

What do you mean decent story, actual villain this time? P4 had great storyline and great villain.
Buwahahahahahahaha. You played Scooby doo through the whole game. The story was okay but izanami is a freaking joke. Definitely the weakest villain in the franchise and probably the weakest villain I have seen in a looooong time.

kuroshiki

As long as it isn't like p4 I really dint care. Playing p2 right now and I think it has just what I was looking for. Dark but not taking it to far. It also balances it out with look hearted moments as well.

Buwahahahahahahaha. You played Scooby doo through the whole game. The story was okay but izanami is a freaking joke. Definitely the weakest villain in the franchise and probably the weakest villain I have seen in a looooong time.

I played P2 too, but I think it is getting way too much credit for having a darker story.

If you really think scooby doo = P4, then yeah, you sure you watched scooby doo? Because I really want to watch scooby doo you watched. It must be freaking awesome.

I played P2 too, but I think it is getting way too much credit for having a darker story.
The story is just better in every way imo(and not just because it's darker). P2 isn't really all that dark. It was dark sometimes but it all balanced out. I never felt like they are trying to hard. P4 was just too happy. It didn't have that "balance" that p2 had.

If you really think scooby doo = P4, then yeah, you sure you watched scooby doo? Because I really want to watch scooby doo you watched. It must be freaking awesome.
Scooby doo was indeed awesome.

When you say weak, are you referring to difficulty or characterization/motivation? If its the first, then yeah ill agree. If its the others though, not so much.

When you say weak, are you referring to difficulty or characterization/motivation? If its the first, then yeah ill agree. If its the others though, not so much.
Both. Nyx was hot garbage imo too. I don't trust them to come up with a decent villain in p5 so I'm hoping they just bring nyarlathotep back. Compare izanami to him and you'll see why she fails.

I guess I dont see why the jilted lover trying to prove that the truth is pointless is really so much worse than than mankind's evil trying to win a bet.

I guess I dont see why the jilted lover trying to prove that the truth is pointless is really so much worse than than mankind's evil trying to win a bet.
It's not the concept, it's the actual villain itself I have a problem with. I felt like izanami wasn't "villain"enough(if that makes sense). Once again, compare her deeds to nyarlathotep and you'll see why she fails.

Squire

Banned
It's not the concept, it's the actual villain itself I have a problem with. I felt like izanami wasn't "villain"enough(if that makes sense). Once again, compare her deeds to nyarlathotep and you'll see why she fails.

It sounds like you're basically just saying you prefer blatant, in-your-face, dare I say comic book villain-y when P4 actually does something more.

Izanami is an omnipotent presence that looms in the background for P4's entirety. She lights the spark, watches the show from other the teams noses, and if you don't pursue the true ending, she wins despite the group thinking that they have. They never even know she's around.

To me, that's much more interesting than your standard edgy villain monologing and doing deplorable things right in front of you. It's just so much more sinister.

Well her deeds were corrupting one world with her fog, banishing her true self and making her a slave and pawn, spreading a rumor, giving three guys the power to open a gate to said corrupted world, letting a couple of murders and kidnappings happen as public unrest ensued over the course of a year, spreading her fog to the real world and finally trying to kill her ex for realsies all because she was rejected for being a rotting corpse and thought the truth hurt and no one could seriously want it. I mean yeah, of course she fails but the good guys gotta win eventually right.

Youll have to lay out Nyarlalotheps deeds cause Ive never played either persona 2. He sounds pretty great from quotes and descriptions. I should play innocent sin one of these days.

bonercop

I thought Izanami was a pretty dumb villain, though I wouldn't have minded her as much if P4 could reign itself in with all the villains its story has.

It sounds like you're basically just saying you prefer blatant, in-your-face, dare I say comic book villain-y when P4 actually does something more.

Izanami is an omnipotent presence that looms in the background for P4's entirety. She lights the spark, watches the show from other the teams noses, and if you don't pursue the true ending, she wins despite the group thinking that they have. They never even know she's around.

To me, that's much more interesting than your standard edgy villain monologing and doing deplorable things right in front of you. It's just so much more sinister.

Ever actually play P2

Well her deeds were corrupting one world with her fog, banishing her true self and making her a slave and pawn, spreading a rumor, giving three guys the power to open a gate to said corrupted world, letting a couple of murders and kidnappings happen as public unrest ensued over the course of a year, spreading her fog to the real world and finally trying to kill her ex for realsies all because she was rejected for being a rotting corpse and thought the truth hurt and no one could seriously want it. I mean yeah, of course she fails but the good guys gotta win eventually right.

Youll have to lay out Nyarlalotheps deeds cause Ive never played either persona 2. He sounds pretty great from quotes and descriptions. I should play innocent sin one of these days.
Nyarlathotep also caused countless suffering and made people believe that Adolf Hitler and the Nazis were revived just to scare them. Then, as the final boss he took the form of various fathers of the main characters just to taunt them. Then, the only reason he did all of this was to try and win a bet with Philemon since he believes that humanity is hopeless and weak while Philemon has faith in us.

If THAT's not evil, I don't know what is
No other Persona villain compares to Nyarlathotep when it comes to power (destroying universes, appearing as the shadows of all the characters, being Philemon's equal, mind control, even using Personas) and just being flat out evil and destructive. He even raised hell in two alternate realities/universes.

His final boss battle was amazing as well. He appeared as the physical incarnation of the fear and hatred that people feel towards their parents. Ultimate badass.

^^^^

Nyarlathotep did the exact same thing (except he was much more "evil" with it).

He posed as the dead father of an emotionally unstable youth for like a decade and egging him on to create a doomsday cult by manipulating his insecurities (his insecurities were many). He made it so rumors would eventually become reality if they spread far enough and planted completely ludicrous stories to see what would catch on (things that caught on: A spear that stabbed Jesus so hard the blood wouldn't stop flowing from the wound, Mayan Space Aliens colonized Japan, Hitler's still alive in a secret bunker in Antarctica).

When the teenagers he had been screwing with through the entire game finally confronted him, he turned into a giant body horror of their assorted fathers wearing bondage gear.

In Eternal Punishment he basically spends the whole game screwing with the main character of IS. It's... different than, say, P4 or IS, where the characters didn't realize they were being toyed with until the finale, because the he knows who Nyarl is, what Nyarl is trying to do, what he's capable of, etc. So (the main character from IS)'s got this omnipresent jerkface trying to mess with him, his friends, his family, the friends he doesn't talk to anymore and random civilians just to get a rise out of him.

Moonlight

Banned
I haven't actually played Persona 2 (something I wish to remedy soon), but it's really not that hard to see why Izanami might be considered a poor villain. I can understand, in fact, I quite like a number of aspects to it. It's a big metaphor for the Japanese creation myth, if Yomotsu Hirasaka didn't make that obvious. I know that they took some pains to make sure there were some 'hints' to allude to her identity. But at the end of the day, the heart of the truth that we all sought was... well, a gas station attendant. It's not exactly climactic stuff, and I don't think they give it much its' due. It feels very... condensed, for lack of a better word. She's the core of the mystery, the 'source', and at the end of the day, I don't think they do a lot with her one she's outed. It's a bit dissatisfying, as far as closure to the 'mystery' goes.

Without knowing much about Persona 2, one can't help but think that's a bit of a step down from the Crawling Chaos.

That said, the last few minutes of Izanami's boss fight is easily one of the most memorable moments I've had in a video game.

Squire

Banned
Ever actually play P2

No, that was just my response to his vague request for what he wants in a villain. Your welcome to enlighten me. It just sounds like the argument is Simplicity vs... Not simplicity.

He posed as the dead father of an emotionally unstable youth for like a decade and egging him on to create a doomsday cult by manipulating his insecurities (his insecurities were many). He made it so rumors would eventually become reality if they spread far enough and planted completely ludicrous stories to see what would catch on (things that caught on: A spear that stabbed Jesus so hard the blood wouldn't stop flowing from the wound, Mayan Space Aliens colonized Japan, Hitler's still alive in a secret bunker in Antarctica).

When the teenagers he had been screwing with through the entire game finally confronted him, he turned into a giant body horror of their assorted fathers wearing bondage gear.

In Eternal Punishment he basically spends the whole game screwing with the main character of IS. It's... different than, say, P4 or IS, where the characters didn't realize they were being toyed with until the finale, because the he knows who Nyarl is, what Nyarl is trying to do, what he's capable of, etc. So (the main character from IS)'s got this omnipresent jerkface trying to mess with him, his friends, his family, the friends he doesn't talk to anymore and random civilians just to get a rise out of him.

I concede! Nyarl sounds fucked up!

cj_iwakura

Sophia

Nyarlathotep is a great bad guy.

I'd really appreciate a better actual plot in P5 (They really need to get Tadashi back :/). I love P3 and P4, but man, the plot could be so much stronger.

Didn't he write the new scenario for P2:EP PSP? Thought he was still there.

cj_iwakura

Didn't he write the new scenario for P2:EP PSP? Thought he was still there.

I believe he no longer works for Atlus, and they asked him to pen the EP scenario, and received something more effed up than anything in P3 or P4.

I would love to know what he would have devised for those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom