• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tadashi wrote some new quests for IS Portable too, but we didn't get them in NA.

I concede! Nyarl sounds fucked up!

I think what works with him is that it's personal. Like with Izanami, most of the folks effected by her nonsense were only through happenstance, while, say, Nyarl would have gone out of his way to target Nanako and Dojima with his nonsense.

Sophia

I think what works with him is that it's personal. Like with Izanami, most of the folks effected by her nonsense were only through happenstance, while, say, Nyarl would have gone out of his way to target Nanako and Dojima with his nonsense.

Yeah, Nyarl would have done something like pose as Nanako's mother and play with her thoughts to turn her against the Protagonist as part of a plot to bring about the end of the world. Because it sounds fun. >_>;

He posed as the dead father of an emotionally unstable youth for like a decade and egging him on to create a doomsday cult by manipulating his insecurities (his insecurities were many). He made it so rumors would eventually become reality if they spread far enough and planted completely ludicrous stories to see what would catch on (things that caught on: A spear that stabbed Jesus so hard the blood wouldn't stop flowing from the wound, Mayan Space Aliens colonized Japan, Hitler's still alive in a secret bunker in Antarctica).

When the teenagers he had been screwing with through the entire game finally confronted him, he turned into a giant body horror of their assorted fathers wearing bondage gear.

In Eternal Punishment he basically spends the whole game screwing with the main character of IS. It's... different than, say, P4 or IS, where the characters didn't realize they were being toyed with until the finale, because the he knows who Nyarl is, what Nyarl is trying to do, what he's capable of, etc. So (the main character from IS)'s got this omnipresent jerkface trying to mess with him, his friends, his family, the friends he doesn't talk to anymore and random civilians just to get a rise out of him.
That's pretty compelling. I'm convinced.

Young Magus

Like what?
Also glad to see so many fans of ol' Nyarly. He without a doubt made P2: IS for me. Wish we could get someone on his level in P5.

Squire

Banned
Like what?
Also glad to see so many fans of ol' Nyarly. He without a doubt made P2: IS for me. Wish we could get someone on his level in P5.

I think we've all been under the assumption that you'll just get him, period.

And I must say: you've all peaked my interest in the P2 dualogy now.

Sophia

I think we've all been under the assumption that you'll just get him, period.

And I must say: you've all peaked my interest in the P2 dualogy now.

The villains of Persona 2 are by far the highlight of its story. Nyarlathotep, Tatsuya Sudou and Maya Okamura in particular.

.JayZii

Banned
Did this sketch and it made me think of Chihiro from P3. Thought I would share because I'm narcissistic like that. ;)
attachment.php

bonercop

I would for love for Satomi Tadashi to write the next Persona game. I strongly prefer P1/2's writing over 3 and 4.

Also, whoever was responsible for Marie's character needs to eff off.

Dantis

I would for love for Satomi Tadashi to write the next Persona game. I strongly prefer P1/2's writing over 3 and 4.

If Kobayashi (Writer of P4G) writes P5, I'll be mega sad face. Unlikely though, it was a team of guys who wrote P4, and Hashino did the scenario.

Sophia

Kinda, that voice you hear at the end of story mode after he hacks into Labrys is supposedly Nyarl's.

No no no. That voice is the human companion that Nyarly is working with. Nyarlathotep is the voice that Labrys hears when she's having a dream in suspended animation in her story mode, as well as the "Shadow" self of Aigis/Mitusuru/Akihiko/Naoto in their respective story modes.

We don't know who the Eerie Voice that hacked Labrys is, but whoever they are, they have a different personality from Nyarlathotep.

.JayZii

Banned

Some of the things in Golden make me think Atlus's relationship with the fans has gotten a little too close. There's a fine line between quirky and fun story elements and fan service pandering. I hope that has more to do with Golden being a remake than it does with the ethos of the Persona series going forward.

Sophia

I've always suspected that Golden was somewhat of an obligation to the shareholders due to the success of the remakes. Hashino has made it pretty clear that he wasn't happy with the compromises done in Persona 3 Portable, and Persona 4 Golden was announced practically almost as a launch-window title for the Vita.

bonercop

Some of the things in Golden make me think Atlus's relationship with the fans has gotten a little too close. There's a fine line between quirky and fun story elements and fan service pandering. I hope that has more to do with Golden being a remake than it does with the ethos of the Persona series going forward.

Yeah, I feel the same way based on some of the stuff I've seen. But Marie isn't awful because of fanservice, she's just awful across the board. From concept to design to character -- she sucks. She feels like a fanfiction character.

EDIT:

haha, and I'd like to add: while I do prefer P1/2's writing over 3/4, I still prefer Soejima over Kaneko and I can't get behind the idea that P1/2 are better games. Sorry P1/2 fans!

.JayZii

Banned
^
I didn't mean panty shots and boobs, her existence just felt like fan service.

Though I did max out her social link because I really wanted to get Kaguyahime.

No no no. That voice is the human companion that Nyarly is working with. Nyarlathotep is the voice that Labrys hears when she's having a dream in suspended animation in her story mode, as well as the "Shadow" self of Aigis/Mitusuru/Akihiko/Naoto in their respective story modes.

We don't know who the Eerie Voice that hacked Labrys is, but whoever they are, they have a different personality from Nyarlathotep.

In some endings its Suspcious Hacker, in some endings its Malevolent Entity.

Sophia

Right, the hacker only shows up for the P4 cast (except Naoto), and the Malevolent Entity only shows up for the P3 cast + Naoto. The later makes it clear that he's not the hacker and that he's feigning cooperation with him.

Her existence amounts to giving Izanami a little more backstory, a happy ending and you being able to date her. The latter of which is pretty creepy and pathetic but the former of which I'm okay with.

cj_iwakura

Her existence amounts to giving Izanami a little more backstory, a happy ending and you being able to date her. The latter of which is pretty creepy and pathetic but the former of which I'm okay with.

Then use her cool version, not the fan service bait.

bonercop

I'm guessing Marie is canon now right?

Do they explain why she wasn't in P4A or do they kinda just ignore it in the epilogue?

She disappears for a couple of months at the end of Golden.

The "backstory" she adds is pretty awful and makes an unnecessarily convoluted story more so, imo. Do you feel you've learned anything valuable about Izanami or the overarching plot by seeing her story play out?

The "backstory" she adds is pretty awful and makes an unnecessarily convoluted story more so, imo. Do you feel you've learned anything valuable about her character by seeing her story play out?
I don't know, I think her social link is pretty weak beyond the amusing scenes with the cast but it's really just Teddie/Aigis/Ryoji all over again. The meat of her character is within the February events, and yeah, I think it makes her a little more compelling knowing how abandoned, lonely and bitter she was from a version of herself that's learned to trust people again, willing to sacrifice herself for the world and to contrast that with her shadow self who has had all these machinations to prove her point.

Then use her cool version, not the fan service bait.
Which one is the cool version? Weather girl? The jailbait looking one? The one in a cloak with the freaky eye? Or the one that looks like a female version of the protagonist?

Sophia

I don't know, I think her social link is pretty weak beyond the amusing scenes with the cast but it's really just Teddie/Aigis/Ryoji all over again. The meat of her character is within the February events, and yeah, I think it makes her a little more compelling knowing how abandoned, lonely and bitter she was from a version of herself that's learned to trust people again, willing to sacrifice herself for the world and to contrast that with her shadow self who has had all these machinations to prove her point.

Hey now, Teddie/Aigis/Ryoji were all awesome social link additions!

Marie's social link is pretty weak tho, yeah. For someone who is suppose to be Izanami, she hardly adds anything to the game, and practically spoils the main antagonist.

bonercop

I phrased that poorly, could you respond to the edited version? You said she adds "backstory to Izanami" and I'm curious if I'm missing something because the only thing I remember she added was functioning as another step in Izanami's absurdly over-complicated plan.

I mean, did anyone really want to know the answer to "where did the fog go after you beat Ameno-Sagiri"? Wasn't the implication that killing the source of the fog caused the rest of it to be dissolved enough?

Which one is the cool version? Weather girl? The jailbait looking one? The one in a cloak with the freaky eye? Or the one that looks like a female version of the protagonist?

The Original Yu and Marie...hah

tumblr_mawdnseaYs1r0e6qgo1_500.jpg

Nakajima is the biggest asshole hah

I phrased that poorly, could you respond to the edited version? You said she adds "backstory to Izanami" and I'm curious if I'm missing something because the only thing I remember she added was functioning as another step in Izanami's absurdly over-complicated plan.

I mean, did anyone really want to know the answer to "where did the fog go after you beat Ameno-Sagiri"? Wasn't the implication that killing the source of the fog caused the rest of it to be dissolved enough?
She gives some light backstory to Izanami, not much, but what was there was fine to me. The Izanami we fight is essentially Marie's shadow self, one that had managed to overcome its host and made them a tool. This is a retcon of the vanilla version but I thought it was a nice way of concluding the theme of facing yourself with even this god like being having the exact same problem as the cast but she couldn't accept herself, which allowed bossIzanami to go through with her plans and for Marie to become a pawn.

I don't deny the fog disappearance being shoehorned in but I thought they came up with a decent enough explanation for it and a purpose for Marie to be in the real world. If you feel otherwise well more power to you.

I don't hate Marie as much as most people, I thought she was underutilized and poorly used at times and that bathhouse scene with her was godawful but I really did think the P4G team stuck the landing with her.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Right, the hacker only shows up for the P4 cast (except Naoto), and the Malevolent Entity only shows up for the P3 cast + Naoto. The later makes it clear that he's not the hacker and that he's feigning cooperation with him.

I swear it was Malevolent Entity for everyone... It's been a while and I am quite forgetful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom