• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her design is pretty bad and I kind of hate her in the opening animation because it's all ~stylized~ until it gets to her and the Velvet Crew and it seems really out of place.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I kinda think that Persona 5 will focus on the anti shadow organization made by Mitsuru.

Doubt it, more than likely they'll use a different setting.A tad bit alienating to newcomers if they go that route. Plus, it's been in development for a while now.

If they are going to make a sequel to P4/P4A, it'll probably it's own animal.

CSX

I don't think Atlus is going to make playing a fighting game a prerequisite for the next game in their biggest franchise.

I agree. I think P5 would be another 2-3 year timeskip from its predecessor with plenty of little references to P4 and P3

Sophia

I definitely expect Mitsuru's organization to show up, but it'll be in a manner that is similar to how the P1 cast showed up in P2.

I.E. Supporting characters.

paolo11

Doubt it, more than likely they'll use a different setting.A tad bit alienating to newcomers if they go that route. Plus, it's been in development for a while now.

If they are going to make a sequel to P4/P4A, it'll probably it's own animal.

Persona 5 in development?? When will Atlus announce this game?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Given that P4 makes sure you know it's in the same universe as P3, I think the groups coming together in a more cemented fashion is probable, but I think it's still too abrupt to do in P5.

Another factor is that Minato is still afk, so P3's cast is free to interact with someone new, but with Yu around and present, seeing him as an NPC would be kind of odd, given that you controlled him. It's a problem similar to re-introducing the Warden in DAIII. How do you re-introduce a character that the players previously had direct agency over as an NPC/ally? Yeah, Arena gave him more personality, but IIRC from youtubing his route, he was kept kinda muted.

However, I'd bet P5 probably lays down groundwork for another side-story/sequel. I wouldn't doubt hearing/seeing something about the anti-shadow team in a visit to Inaba/Port Island, for example.

On that note, I wouldn't be surprised to P4A2 (or something else, might not be a fighting game), maybe adding some of the more typical Persona RPG features to add some depth to the single-player story arcs while adding in P5 characters, esp. with the threads of Nyartholep still around, and the Investigation Team and Anti-Shadow Unit both pursuing, as well as Elizabeth gaining the fool arcana.

I haven't kept up with P4A as much, how were the text-adventure story prompts/progression received? I don't think there's been a "canon" route established, but the general overtures are all canonical, right?

Persona 5 in development?? When will Atlus announce this game?

Uknown, though many suspect its getting close to an announcement. I recall reading that Soejima was going through updated character design drafts, but can't seem to find that link atm.

I haven't kept up with P4A as much, how were the text-adventure story prompts/progression received? I don't think there's been a "canon" route established, but the general overtures are all canonical, right?
Some negative nellies might say differently, but I think the text-adventure stuff went really well.

All the route more or less converge at the same point by the end, and the small details don't necessarily stray too far from one another. P4 Golden had an offhanded reference to the events "last May", so I like to think it's all canon in a vague sort of way that can be further expanded upon later if they decide to.

Squire

Banned
The connective tissue between P3 and P4 is almost paper thin. If they plan to follow-up with those characters, it'll be in Arena 2 (which I think is inevitable) or theoretically Persona 4-2.

P5 will be a new cast, new setting, again with very minor connections.

The connective tissue between P3 and P4 is almost paper thin. If they plan to follow-up with those characters, it'll be in Arena 2 (which I think is inevitable) or theoretically Persona 4-2.

explain to me how they will follow it up. relegating something as awesome as the crawling chaos to a fighting game is pitiful

CrovaxPSO

This is what I'm hoping for in Persona 5. As great as it was to check in on the characters from 3 and 4 in Arena/Golden, I feel like the series wouldn't benefit from focusing on one of the existing groups of characters. The Shadow hunting squad is interesting, though.

Squire

Banned
explain to me how they will follow it up. relegating something as awesome to crawling chaos to a fighting game is pitiful

I'm not talking about CC. I think that and Nyarl could very well be in P5.

The P3/P4 crews will not be. I think it would stifle their efforts to establish new characters and themes.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I really don't like the way the polygon models changed from Persona 2 to Persona 3. Then the PSP remakes used those same Persona 3 models. Yuck.

luca1980

Banned
I really wonder why does it take so much time for Altus to release info on persona 5.
It's been really a while from persona 4 on ps2.
Maybe platform uncertain?

I could see P5 revolving around the shadow squad recruiting members,Liz having the wild card and Labrys figuring herself out.

I hope that P5 only has the slightest reference to any of previous games and is 99% entirely new content. All the shadow squad and robot girls and return of Nyarl is pretty cool and all, but it would be the kind of inclusiveness that Atlus should leave to a P4A sequel or something.

Hey, I wasn't here for it, so how did people react to P4 not being a dedicated sequel to the fiction of P3? Did people hate that? Or was the concept welcome?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Personally, I can't see P4-2 or whatever it's called being made, at least, for a long while. It would create a lot of tension between either tying in everything together or disregarding a lot of what goes on in P5 to P4-2. I think it'll stay as it is now with offshoot games taking the "what's going on with the old cast" for the foreseeable future.

Plus, making something like P4-2 would take a helluva lot more work than something like Arena. Once the fighting game archetype is completed, text adventures aren't too costly on the budget. Although it was rumored(confirmed?) that Persona team just got its own studio officially recently, so there is that. I saw P4A as Atlus branching out more and trying new things, and it's part of that that kind of leads me to think the next sidestory won't necessarily be a fighting game.

Another problem is that P4 and P3 were mainly self-contained. Yeah, Arena expanded on it some, but wasn't it still mainly the Investigation team in one corner and the anti-shadow unit in another with Labrys as the only real thread tying them together along with Nyartholep manipulations?

Also, a lot of Persona is the group coming together in a situation, forming bonds, etc. Making a main Persona game with the 3/4 cast would either have to stray into the group(s) falling apart and having to come back together to reestablish bonds, or rely on the investigation team/Anti-shadow team as two separate entities forming better bonds between themselves and the other group in order to take on Nyartholep/Save Minato/etc.

Persona 5 needs to be something new. End of story. Leave direct sequels to side games.

Yep.

I really wonder why does it take so much time for Altus to release info on persona 5.
It's been really a while from persona 4 on ps2.
Maybe platform uncertain?

IIRC, Hashino told Famitsu that it is using a new engine revised from what they used in Catherine, so I'm guessing PS3/360. It takes them a long time because Atlus is one of these devs that are in the mentality of "it's done when it's done", I think.

Sandfox

Persona 5 is going to be about teenagers/students just like every other game in the series. I'd be surprised if they left the huge focus put on the school setting given how much people liked the way they've handled 3 and 4.

Persona 5 is going to be about teenagers/students just like every other game in the series. I'd be surprised if they left the huge focus put on the school setting given how much people liked the way they've handled 3 and 4.

Yep. We gotta keep in mind that high school in Japan is more similar to university in the West. The freedom, part time jobs, sex, clubs and whatnot of Japanese high school is the first "adult frontier". It's also a plus that teenagers are developing personalities strongly, so that's why it works.

cj_iwakura

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was entirely about adults.

Dantis

I was going to quote one of my "Persona Team didn't work on Arena and Golden, so a strong connection to P5 is unlikely" posts, but realised it would just be easier to re-type it.

Squire

Banned
In a nutshell:

Persona 5 needs to be something new. End of story. Leave direct sequels to side games.

In detail:

I hope that P5 only has the slightest reference to any of previous games and is 99% entirely new content. All the shadow squad and robot girls and return of Nyarl is pretty cool and all, but it would be the kind of inclusiveness that Atlus should leave to a P4A sequel or something.

Hey, I wasn't here for it, so how did people react to P4 not being a dedicated sequel to the fiction of P3? Did people hate that? Or was the concept welcome?

^My thoughts exactly.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was entirely about adults.

Was Hashino director on EP? Because if not, the point seems moot.

Squire

Banned
He had nothing to do with it at all as far as I know. At best, he would have been a gameplay designer at that point.

The first game he directed was Nocturne, I think.

As I thought. I think he likes his teenagers and that they and a school setting are expected at this point. Not saying there's no chance, but lets not fool ourselves in to there isn't a 90% chance P5 is teenagers again.

Dantis

As I thought. I think he likes his teenagers and that they and a school setting are expected at this point. Not saying there's no chance, but lets not fool ourselves in to there isn't a 90% chance P5 is teenagers again.

If you read the interviews with him and Soejima (It seems like Soejima and Meguro get some real sway with what they're allowed to do, which is awesome), it's pretty clear that he's really into the themes of Persona 3 and 4. I think they use these themes because it's what they're passionate about. That kind of poignancy, and creating a nostalgia, you know?

Whatever he does, it'll be ace.

Keep in mind that this is the guy who directed Nocturne, DDS, Persona 3, Persona 4 and Catherine. Has any other RPG director you can think of got even a record half as good? He's also credited as the guy who made Press Turn, which is pretty significant in and of itself.

cj_iwakura

If you read the interviews with him and Soejima (It seems like Soejima and Meguro get some real sway with what they're allowed to do, which is awesome), it's pretty clear that he's really into the themes of Persona 3 and 4. I think they use these themes because it's what they're passionate about. That kind of poignancy, and creating a nostalgia, you know?

Keep in mind that this is the guy who directed Nocturne, DDS, Persona 3, Persona 4 and Catherine. Has any other RPG director you can think of got even a record half as good? He's also credited as the guy who made Press Turn, which is pretty significant in and of itself.

The neat thing about the Persona 2 games was how well they integrated high school and maturity. The first game tells a story about growing up, the second tells a story about moving into the real world.

I wish P5 would tackle the latter theme instead of the first one yet again.

Yeah, and you know what, the teenagers in Persona 3 and 4 are surprisingly mature so they come off as somewhat relate-able. We were talking about this in the OT a bit, about how these games are becoming almost a vicarious avenue for the player to explore their own complacency.

Oh hey also, 8wayrun has Persona 4 Arena finals coming up. The top Chie is brutal. Check it out here.

Dantis

The neat thing about the Persona 2 games was how well they integrated high school and maturity. The first game tells a story about growing up, the second tells a story about moving into the real world.

I wish P5 would tackle the latter theme instead of the first one yet again.

I agree completely, just because I think they'd do it so well.

Heh, this wouldn't be a surprise at all given how things have gone from 2->3->4, and how it seems that so many vocal people preferred 4's tone to 3.

I just can't imagine Hashino and co. doing something so pandering. Catherine was a game centered around relationships and sex, and yet besides the silly phone pictures Catherine sends you, was devoid of fan service. Catherine, who was meant to be a highly sexualised design, was still reasonably proportioned and wore less revealing clothing than 90% of Japanese videogame characters. Most of which are probably about teenagers.

bonercop

Nocturne
P3/4
DDS
Trauma Center
Catherine

Not too bad of a track-record, I'd say. P5 will likely have teen protagonists, but not because Hashino has a boner for them.

Dantis

Nocturne
P3/4
DDS
Trauma Center
Catherine

Not too bad of a track-record, I'd say. P5 will likely have teen protagonists, but not because Hashino has a boner for them.

Trauma Center wasn't directed by Hashino. He did the original concept, but that's all.

Persona 5 reboot. Set in university with older characters.

Yu pops up as a hidden boss fight / velvet room character. Dungeons will have unique floors rather than being 10 of the same. Bigger enemy variety but the moustache king returns again.

Music by Magrou and shorter length

cj_iwakura

I recall Hashino saying they wanted P5 to reinvent the series like P3 did.

So hopefully that means unique setting, demon negotiations, no social links(yeah right), and actual dungeons again, instead of RNGs.

Dantis

I'm pretty sure I heard he wrote the script as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/922120-trauma-center-under-the-knife/credit

Gamefaqs list him as "original plot" and lists only one other writer, so I'm inclined to believe them.

Trauma Center wasn't directed by Hashino. He did the original concept, but that's all.

How does this not match up, haha?

So hopefully that means unique setting, demon negotiations, no social links(yeah right), and actual dungeons again, instead of RNGs.

Demon negotiations and no S Links can piss off. Unique setting is a given, but I still want one. Like I've said before, I think it'll be a P4 and P3 combo, but bigger. So like, skyscrapers and the like, and vibrant bright colours. Mirror's Edge would kind of be a good example of the what I'm thinking? But with less block colours, haha.

What's a Love Hina?

And does anybody think that dark=mature? I think that Atlus does dark very well, but sometimes the enigmatic darkness is a bullshit cover to hide that a game lacks mature complexity.

Ooh the walls are bleeding, so edgy man, so dark... so misunderstood and dark...

Yeah, fuck that.

This is a thread about Atlus games.

Hey, he worked on Folklore too. Where Okada goes, Tadashi follows!

:O

Sucks double now with what happened.

No fooling? Who was that other guy there I read recently as having made that. I'm very tired atm, so it's probably misfiled up there somewhere.

Dantis

No fooling? Who was that other guy there I read recently as having made that. I'm very tired atm, so it's probably misfiled up there somewhere.

Pretty sure that's what it says in the P3 or P4 art book. I may be misremembering though.

But it would make sense. He was a game designer before he was a director.

Nexas

God no. Demon negotiations have always be tolerable at best, and they don't really fit with Persona the same way they do other Megaten games.

cj_iwakura

God no. Demon negotiations have always be tolerable at best, and they don't really fit with Persona the same way they do other Megaten games.

The thing is, the monsters in P1 & P2 had character, since they were from SMT's menagerie. Fighting the same seven-eight Shadows got old pretty quick in terms of variety.

Lunar15

I just want something that's good and not pandering. If it's still in high school, that's fine by me. But don't put it in high school just because "that's what's selling". Do it because that's the story you want to tell. I couldn't care less if they were adults or in elementary school. Just make it quality and tell a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom