• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Neat.

I don't remember that at all, haha.

sumaru.png

Rumors have great power, even here.

Nexas

The thing is, the monsters in P1 & P2 had character, since they were from SMT's menagerie. Fighting the same seven-eight Shadows got old pretty quick in terms of variety.

The solution to that is have more enemy variety. Demon negotiations are probably my least favorite element of Megaten, but at least they make sense in the mainline games: You talk to the demons, and then they join your party. In Persona you don't use the demons to fight so they really have nothing to offer you. The fusion cards in are just an extra level of bullshit to get to actual enjoyable system of fusion.

Dantis

Keepin' it subtle. Pretty sure my jacket just got 100% cooler though.

Well, " original concept" sounds like Hashino walked into a room and yelled at a team to make a game about doctors saving lives in hospitals, while "original plot" tells me he actually wrote the damn thing.

Then I don't think you understand either of these titles.

Dantis

Educate me, then.

*shrug*

Okay.

wp000424q.jpg

That's from the P3 art book. It's low quality, but it's not my problem, deal with it.

So if the game says Original Plot, and the art book says Original Concept, then using our Naoto-like deductive skills, we can presume that they're the same thing, yes? :O

But wait, there's more! You seem to think "Original plot" means that he "Wrote the damn thing". Nope. That would be the writer, dear. Original concept would mean that he said to some guys, probably the higher-ups at Atlus "Hey, I've had an idea for a game where you play as a doctor and move through the ranks until you're super pro". They likely said "This is intriguing, Katsura-san, tell me more!".

Hashino likely then put together a long, boring document outlining the base idea. This was shipped off to another team and Hashino went back to making Persona 3. Amongst that will have been the basic plot for the game. Thus, the title "Original plot" is applicable. Particularly when you consider that the game is pretty much a visual novel.

Work firewall doesn't like twitch. :(

Chie V Chie mirror was amazing, but the Mitsuru V Chie fight was even better. Every match was a body, no attrition at all, just explosive as hell. Mitsuru was a master at 1mores and throw, but Chie's mix and cross up pulled through. I can't wait to see these guys play at EVO :)

bonercop

*shrug*

Okay.

wp000424q.jpg

That's from the P3 art book. It's low quality, but it's not my problem, deal with it.

So if the game says Original Plot, and the art book says Original Concept, then using our Naoto-like deductive skills, we can presume that they're the same thing, yes? :O

...Or it might be a suspect translation. His Japanese Wikipedia article lists him as a producer(a role which he also had in the Wii remake of UC2), which make it even harder to determine what the fuck he did in this project. I don't think his involvement was a basic as you're making it sound.

Reading this interview also makes me think he was heavily involved with the writing in earlier trauma center games:

KH: "For a long time, there have been dramas and movies about doctors. Doctor characters are usually professionals, and we see them chatting with co-workers, relaxing after work, and having problems in their daily lives. But, at the same time, they bravely stand up against all odds to save their patients’ lives once they step into the operating room. This is what fascinates the viewer. But, in reality, these are just characters and probably no match for the reality that doctors experience every day. I wanted to create a game that depicts doctors with this heroic image to show my respect for them. I hope people who play the Trauma Center games come to see that there really are heroes in our society who fight to save lives this way."

Dantis

...Or it might be a suspect translation. His Japanese Wikipedia article lists him as a producer(a role which he also had in the Wii remake of UC2), which make it even harder to determine what the fuck he did in this project. I don't think his involvement was a basic as you're making it sound.

Reading this interview also makes me think he was heavily involved with the writing in earlier trauma center games:

I just realised that this is getting further and further away from the original point. We'll have to agree to disagree.

The point is, he didn't direct it.

Squire

Banned

Do you realize how ironic this sounds? Wikipedia is more reliable than a publication written and released by Atlus themselves???

Dantis

Do you realize how ironic this sounds? Wikipedia is more reliable than a publication written and released by Atlus themselves???

The art book and game credits both list him as the producer anyway, haha, so it's not like the Wikipedia proves anything anyway.

It was released in 2005, over the course of which Hashino will have been directing both DDS and P3.

Short of asking Hashino though, we can't know how extensively he worked on it. My inclination is that he did exactly as the credit lists: The basic concept.

bonercop

...translated by Udon, though. But it seems the original Atlus DS game lists him as producer anyway so it was a moot point.

That final P4A match was hyyyyyyyyyype. Rooting for LK but alas. Looking forward to watching the Evo streams.

Yeah, what a major comeback for SDKJourdal - he defeated the best Chie in the East Coast, got out of loser's bracket, and then a rematch against LK in the grand finals. Damn, EVO2013 Persona is going to be tasty.

Here's a fucking creepy ass gif to celebrate:

NMNqH.gif

Clearly P5 will be about gangs. Observe:

JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure Part 2 and P2: Nazis, ancient Mayan stuff
JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure Part 3 and P3: importance of tarot arcana, especially The World.
JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure Part 4 and P4: Japanese High School Supernatural Murder Mystery, less dark atmosphere.

I haven't read part 5 but I think it's about gangs in Italy.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I just realized both Mitsuru and Teddie speak some casual French.

Ce que j'ai fais, ce soir la
Ce qu'elle a dit, ce soir la
Realisant mon espoir
Je me lance, vers la gloire ... OK

Props if you know where I copied and pasted that from.

Squire

Banned
Teddie puts a lot of English into his Japanese in the JP version of the game, so it makes sense.

The MegaTen wiki says Mitsuru is the same way, so that's Atlus' localization team for ya.

That's so... not lazy. Like, it's the smallest little factoid, but most people would've just done the reverse and thrown in some JP phrases. Who thinks, "Nah, French is more outside the box." Because it totally is!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Psycho Killer

It's the first result on google

Awww it ruins the fun if you google it. :(

With Mitsuru and the French in localization, it totally makes sense considering who she is. Daughter of a company executive, gets high scores on tests, etc etc.

I do like those little touches because obviously it would look a bit silly if she was using English phrases in the way she does in English.

Dantis

Awww it ruins the fun if you google it. :(

With Mitsuru and the French in localization, it totally makes sense considering who she is. Daughter of a company executive, gets high scores on tests, etc etc.

I do like those little touches because obviously it would look a bit silly if she was using English phrases in the way she does in English.

Yeah, I really like how Atlus localise little things like that too.

Dantis

I believe how that's how they handle Elly's knowledge of English too.

elly.jpg

Does anyone know why English characters in Japanese text are spaced out so far apart? Is it just so that it's easier to read?

Every time I've bought a Japanese CD, even if the names come up in English, I've had to rename them with 'proper' English characters anyway.

Also, is it worth importing Eternal Punishement PSP is I've never played the original and can't read Japanese? It's bugging me that it's the only Persona game that I haven't completed.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone know why English characters in Japanese text are spaced out so far apart? Is it just so that it's easier to read?

I assume so, could have something to do with the font or spacing. Maybe it's so people who don't speak English can sound it out?

Also, is it worth importing Eternal Punishement PSP is I've never played the original and can't read Japanese? It's bugging me that it's the only Persona game that I haven't completed.

You'd be better off getting the PS1 release, since it's in English, has a great localization, and is still an amazing game. I only imported it because it's probably the JRPG I know better than any other. (Only game I've beaten more times would be FFVI and Chrono Trigger.)

Dantis

I just realised that me and CJ are the only ones with P-Studio logos in our avatars.

This is very disappointing.

You'd be better off getting the PS1 release, since it's in English, has a great localization, and is still an amazing game. I only imported it because it's probably the JRPG I know better than any other. (Only game I've beaten more times would be FFVI and Chrono Trigger.)

I'll keep an eye out on EBay for it.

Sophia

A lack of Variable Width Font, I'd assume. Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters are almost always a Monospaced (fixed-with) font.

I just realised that me and CJ are the only ones with P-Studio logos in our avatars.

This is very disappointing.

I honestly thought that was the ESRB logo in your avatar at first, then I saw CJ's... lol

cj_iwakura

Hahahaha! Rated P for Persona?

I always thought P3 and P4 were pretty tame for M rated games. None of the murders are very gruesome, the most brutal thing in P3 is Takaya shooting people, but for tone I can see it being an M game. P4, could go either way.

dan2026

I just realised that P4G has the same age rating as Fatal Frame 4. That's hilarious.

Yeah its kinda wierd really. Other than some light swearing and some mild raunchy humour there is nothing particuarly objectionable in Persona 4.

The violence is minimal, as are the sexual references.

Dantis

Yeah its kinda wierd really. Other than some light swearing and some mild raunchy humour there is nothing particuarly objectionable in Persona 4.

The violence is minimal, as are the sexual references.

Like I say, it'll be because of the dumbass fan service they added in P4G, like the side-boob and ass-crack in the bath house scene, and the ridiculous Coronet Armor.

dan2026

Like I say, it'll be because of the dumbass fan service they added in P4G, like the side-boob and ass-crack in the bath house scene, and the ridiculous Coronet Armor.

I've seen the armor, but I didn't notice that they changed much in the bathhouse. Its been too long since I played the original. I'd actually be interested in seeing some side by side comparisons.

Also I suppose quite a few of the Personas are pretty much naked, or close too it.
And one does look like a giant
penis

cj_iwakura

I've seen the armor, but I didn't notice that they changed much in the bathhouse. Its been too long since I played the original. I'd actually be interested in seeing some side by side comparisons.

Also I suppose quite a few of the Personas are pretty much naked, or close too it.
And one does look like a giant
penis

There's a new bathhouse scene now, with optional DLC towel costumes.
half is false. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom