• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrano

I assume so, could have something to do with the font or spacing. Maybe it's so people who don't speak English can sound it out?
It has everything to do with the fact that those games use fixed-width fonts rather than variable-width fonts. If you've ever tried to hack one of those games and insert a font, you will quickly find out how much of a pain in the ass having to deal with a fixed-width font can be. Basically, Japanese, Chinese, and (sometimes) Korean fonts are all made to fit within squares of a certain size, and thus it's easier to use fixed-width fonts rather than variable-width ones. Variable-width fonts are necessary for English and other Latin languages to not look super awkward on a screen, which, effectively, adjusts the font spacing either dynamically or statically (giving each letter a certain amount of pixels statically, or dynamically by simply using a process which scans the letters and determines their width, height and spacing accordingly).

Most videogames now use variable-width fonts regardless (as it makes spacing for things like icons and other visual text elements easier), though fixed-width fonts were, at the time, a way to save space. Such limitations aren't really an issue now, since we have discs with 20GB of space, give or take.

dan2026

There's a new bathhouse scene now, with optional DLC towel costumes.
half is false. Maybe.

Ok I see what you mean just looked it up. It some seem like needless fanservice. But unfortunatly that is 90% of what Japanese media is about these days. or at least thats what if seems like.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Given how we've seen more fanservicey stuff added from P3->P3FES and P4->P4G, I fear that they'll just stuff P5 with a bunch of it from the get-go.

Cyrano

Given how we've seen more fanservicey stuff added from P3->P3FES and P4->P4G, I fear that they'll just stuff P5 with a bunch of it from the get-go.
Yeah, the series and Atlus's games more generally have become a lot more anime lately. Maybe because they've been making a lot more anime lately.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, the series and Atlus's games more generally have become a lot more anime lately. Maybe because they've been making a lot more anime lately.

I did notice more obvious anime tropes from 3 to 4 as well.

Oh god, P5 really will be Love Hina! ;_;

Cyrano

$$$$

There's always SMT IV and Soul Hackers.
(watch no one buys them.)
Gotta have a 3DS to buy them...

and I might buy a 3DS just to play SMTIV.

Thinking on it though, it would be nice if one of the new Persona series had a female protagonist. Haven't done one since Eternal Punishment, and I really liked Maya. In a way, Mitsuru is a kind of prime candidate for this given the whole Shadow Operatives thing.

cj_iwakura

Gotta have a 3DS to buy them...

and I might buy a 3DS just to play SMTIV.

Thinking on it though, it would be nice if one of the new Persona series had a female protagonist. Haven't done one since Eternal Punishment, and I really liked Maya. In a way, Mitsuru is a kind of prime candidate for this given the whole Shadow Operatives thing.

I bought one for SH. SMTIV is icing. In fact, I can't think of a game in the entire world that validates a console more than SMT IV.

Cyrano

It's canon, so yeah, it does.
I should append my statement to say a full game then, rather than expansion.

I sincerely hope that we don't get mired in a Final Fantasy XIII thing. Please Atlus, no side-sequels on top of side-sequels.

Please?

FluxWaveZ

I will be completely shocked if Persona 5 doesn't let you pick the gender of your protagonist.

I'm not sure I like the potential effort that that would require from the developers instead of pursuing simply one gender. Things like Persona 4's beauty pageant, Social Links, numerous lines of dialogue and even the whole Izanagi/Izanami thing would have to be completely redone to make it suit a female protagonist.

If accommodating gender selection was their goal from the ground up, it could certainly work, but I'd prefer it if the effort to write and design for that would be used elsewhere.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd be incredibly disappointed if it didn't turn out to be the case. Persona 3 Portable's female main character is one of my favourite PCs ever.

EDIT: I don't think it'd be that impossible for Persona 4 either. It's not like they didn't put a great deal of effort into rewriting Social Links, dialogue, and events in the changes made to P3P. The biggest obstacle would be Izanami, although I don't think it'd be so difficult. I don't think you'd even have to scrap Izanami herself. After all, as per Golden, there exists more than one Izanami.

Sophia

I'm not sure I like the potential effort that that would require from the developers instead of pursuing simply one gender. Things like Persona 4's beauty pageant, Social Links, numerous lines of dialogue and even the whole Izanagi/Izanami thing would have to be completely redone to make it suit a female protagonist.

If accommodating gender selection was their goal from the ground up, it could certainly work, but I'd prefer it if the effort to write and design for that would be used elsewhere.

I don't think it takes that much potential effort, as long as it was part of the original design like Persona 3. Obviously Persona 4 was never going to have a female MC.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

They integrated it well with P3P.

because of this

I don't think it takes that much potential effort, as long as it was part of the original design like Persona 3.

Cyrano

Yeah, in general I've really enjoyed the female protagonists over the male protagonists. To be honest, I'd actually kind of prefer it if they gave their protagonists a voice like in the older Personas, but I can understand the difficulty with giving a gender decision and the subsequent amount of necessary vocal hires to make that happen.

Anyway, I'll also be disappointed if they don't let you choose the gender, but I'll be more disappointed if they make the protagonist male by default. It's partly a sexism problem too.

FluxWaveZ

True, that worked well for P3P because both the male and female protagonists are pretty much interchangeable. Can't say I'll be too shocked if Persona 5 doesn't give the player a choice, however.

Trigger

Yeah, in general I've really enjoyed the female protagonists over the male protagonists. To be honest, I'd actually kind of prefer it if they gave their protagonists a voice like in the older Personas, but I can understand the difficulty with giving a gender decision and the subsequent amount of necessary vocal hires to make that happen.

Anyway, I'll also be disappointed if they don't let you choose the gender, but I'll be more disappointed if they make the protagonist male by default. It's partly a sexism problem too.

??? Weren't they always silent (including Maya in EP)?

I agree with having a choice of genders. Very little of either game's plot really required the player character to be male. FeMC is one my favorite designs.

Sophia

I agree with having a choice of genders. Very little of either game's plot really required the player character to be male. FeMC is one my favorite designs.

Yeah they've been silent for the most part. The P1 protagonist talks in flashbacks in P2, and Tatsuya/Maya go back and fourth from being silent in their respective games to talkative in the game they're not the protagonist.

Cyrano

Maya speaks quite frequently and has a definite personality.

Yeah they've been silent for the most part. The P1 protagonist talks in flashbacks in P2, and Tatsuya/Maya go back and fourth from being silent in their respective games to talkative in the game they're not the protagonist.
Also this, though even in EP her and Tatsuya are chatty, and battles as well (I guess there's also the demon system to consider, which has largely vanished in favor of combining Personas).

cj_iwakura

I don't think it takes that much potential effort, as long as it was part of the original design like Persona 3. Obviously Persona 4 was never going to have a female MC.

I would have totally played as Izanami in an alternate sidestory. I loved her design, and how it was a counterpart to Narukami's. Heck, that's my favorite pairing.

Sophia

I would have totally played as Izanami in an alternate sidestory. I loved her design, and how it was a counterpart to Narukami's. Heck, that's my favorite pairing.

If it weren't for Marie, I'd almost completely agree with you. Alas...

Also this, though even in EP her and Tatsuya are chatty, and battles as well (I guess there's also the demon system to consider, which has largely vanished in favor of combining Personas).

I never really liked the fact that they gagged her for EP... but then again I thought it was odd that Tatsuya was a mute in IS too. Guess I just don't like mute characters unless I define them. :\

FluxWaveZ

Except for in Eternal Punishment, right (haven't had the chance to play it)?

Atlus forums:
Satomi Tadashi, the story writer, proposed the idea to allow Maya to speak in Eternal Punishment as the bonus content in the offical BLOG of the PSP remake. This was dropped due to the tradition that the protagonist must remain silent because he/she represents the player.

Cyrano

I suppose what I remember most in EP, aside from the story, was the battles, since those were one of the few places where she talked in the game. Was probably thinking Innocent Sin though and simply mixed them up.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Taruranto

Mute-Maya sucked.

I loved her character in IS and having her completely silent to the events was a huge bummer. Also, her portrait is EP was kinda... lifeless...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

hv0Xo.jpg

Seeing Maya mostly silent sucked because she is my favorite Persona character of all time. She still makes a good silent protag but her personality when in Innocent Sin rather than Eternal Punishment makes her hilarious and kind. She is always upbeat, but shes also kind of a badass, telling the demons that "It's whoop ass time!" Every single party member of the P2 Duology are top shelf characters, among my favorites in gaming. Satomi Tadasmi pls, work on P5 pls.

2147689-maya.jpg

Dantis

Seeing Maya mostly silent sucked because she is my favorite Persona character of all time. She still makes a good silent protag but her personality when in Innocent Sin rather than Eternal Punishment makes her hilarious and kind. She is always upbeat, but shes also kind of a badass, telling the demons that "It's whoop ass time!" Every single party member of the P2 Duology are top shelf characters, among my favorites in gaming. Satomi Tadasmi pls, work on P5 pls.

2147689-maya.jpg

Love Doi's interpretation of Maya. His style is perfect for her.

Dantis

Its really nice looking, a strange fusion of Kaneko designed characters + Soejima sensibilities + Doi's art.

Yep. His qualities really fit Maya too. All his characters have these confident, upbeat poses (Even MegaTen 4, which I'm not sure how I feel about...), and he always draws these great smiles. Since Trauma Team (Which was when he really brought out his own style, I feel), his work has been superb.

^She gets called out for the hearts and she says its not what she normally wears but that, if I am remembering this correctly, Ulala got it for her and she wears it for interviews.

Yep. His qualities really fit Maya too. All his characters have these confident, upbeat poses (Even MegaTen 4, which I'm not sure how I feel about...), and he always draws these great smiles. Since Trauma Team (Which was when he really brought out his own style, I feel), his work has been superb.

His initial art reveals for SMT4 looked ok, Isabeau and Walter being the better looking of the bunch. Recent reveals look very nice and slick though.

.JayZii

Banned
I would say Persona 5 could use a little bit of that coldness for the new setting. Persona 4 has been around for a while now so it's become very comfortable, happy and chirpy to many people. If they start a new setting from that tonal standpoint, I think it could easily devolve into self-parody.

Speaking of cold, I forget where, but someone mentioned Hokkaido as a setting for P5 which I think would really work. Kawabata's Snow Country mixed with SMT perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom