• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
RF6oG.gif

I assumed that was a right hook from Chie until I was told different. :/

Nanako is boring. There, I said it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Someone make sure to break the news to Dantis gently.

Another week of waiting for probably nothing. Sounds like the hype train comin round again.

Moonlight

Banned
On that note, where do people keep getting those live action gifs with Persona character heads shopped onto them? They were amazing.

Nanako shouldn't have died, but they shouldn't have brought her back so quickly. As mentioned, it took all impact away. I mean, holding out for a while before bringing her back to life may still be a feel-good cop-out, but at least it would have had a bit more meaning to the player for the time that they believe she is indeed gone. Provided you didn't pick the bad ending, Nanako's "death" and revival are in the same big chain of cutscenes, which was pretty lame.

bonercop

Nanako shouldn't have died, but they shouldn't have brought her back so quickly. As mentioned, it took all impact away. I mean, holding out for a while before bringing her back to life may still be a feel-good cop-out, but at least it would have had a bit more meaning to the player for the time that they believe she is indeed gone. Provided you didn't pick the bad ending, Nanako's "death" and revival are in the same big chain of cutscenes, which was pretty lame.

nah, she either should have died or that scene shouldn't have been in the game at all. I like Nanako fine, but that was incredibly dumb.

Jintor

Christ.

So I hope something that they do is more dicking around with the social link stuff so it's not all massive spoilers. Things like being able to tell where the real end of the game is due to level of social link progression, or transmuting one social link into another social link. Basically they need to utilise S.Links to avoid interface spoilers. Well, I would be more entertained if they do, anyway.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So if we were to put up a vote on who is the most annoying character in P4G, who would sit at the top?

My votes from the main cast, not necessarily in order though:

1. Yosuke, for reasons I have stated previously.
2. Naoto, for often saying stuff like, "The equation of quadrant 3 multiplies 4 plus 7 when divided with arithmetic blah blah blah equals 100" when she can just say "10 x 10 = 100" and be done with it.
3. Marie I guess, from her terrible dungeon to her awful tsundereness and the Poem! the Poem! Oh my God the Poems!

Edit: Ooops thinking this is the Persona 4 Golden Community thread. Oh well....

Squire

Banned
So if we were to put up a vote on who is the most annoying character in P4G, who would sit at the top?

My votes from the main cast, not necessarily in order though:

1. Yosuke, for reasons I have stated previously.
2. Naoto, for often saying stuff like, "The equation of quadrant 3 multiplies 4 plus 7 when divided with arithmetic blah blah blah equals 100" when she can just say "10 x 10 = 100" and be done with it.
3. Marie I guess, from her terrible dungeon to her awful tsundereness and the Poem! the Poem! Oh my God the Poems!

Edit: Ooops thinking this is the Persona 4 Golden Community thread. Oh well....

Disliking a character for being intelligent and owning it is a pretty awful criticism, but you're exaggerating anyway.

Moonlight

Banned
I think the only moment that something like that ever happens is when she's solving one problem in her social link. And that's because the clue is asking that problem in the first place.

Anyways, the most annoying character is probably Marie. I don't think I hate her as much as you guys seem to, but she's definitely not a particularly good character. And her poems are made worse by the fact I apparently can't skip through them like I usually can with these sort of things, when all I want to do is get in there and, like, fuse a couple Personae. I can't rightly call myself outright annoyed by any of the vanilla P4 characters, except maybe Shu Nakajima, who was a brat for like half his social link.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Disliking a character for being intelligent and owning it is a pretty awful criticism, but you're exaggerating anyway.

Hahahah yeah maybe, I am more like annoyed by her occasionally, not disliking her per se. But I do think she does have the tendency of making overtly long explanations even for seemingly the simplest of stuff.

But maybe this is just because I am now currently at the end of 2nd playthrough for P4G and I am just kind of tired with all the dialogues (yeah yeah yeah the double start skip function but I never skip conversation on replays, I am just weird like that)

Squire

Banned
Marie is cheesetastically tsundere and really just not a good character in general (I'm on my second run and can't skip through her poetry fast enough), but she doesn't annoy me. I really did enjoy helping her in her S. Link and spending time with her. They have fun with her amnesia, which is charming. Bonus points for that.

Yosuke annoyed me a little on my first run. I put off the bulk of his S. Link until the last third of the game, but once I finished it, I realized that the issue was more that I just didn't understand him. Once I did, I realized how much I can actually relate to him. Now he's one of my favorite characters.

And I think that's a mark of good characterization; using development to shift or impact the players perception of a character in a meaningful way.

That's just another thing I really love about Persona 4.

Dresden

Marie's slink has a decent payoff (and she's hot with glasses), but the actual link feels so tacked on and all those forced social bonding moments where the investigation team randomly congregates out of nowhere for some social bonding are the worst.

Kanji and Yosuke's links are probably my favorite, out of the team members.

Dantis

Nope. Sorry, bro.

But there's another scoop next week!

http://gematsu.com/2013/01/surprise-new-scoop-on-popular-series-in-next-famitsu

I think it sounds like P5 even more than the first!

Is Suda 51 a code-name for Katsura Hashino?

But seriously, this is actually better than I was expecting. Suda's games are always interesting, and of course, he co-directed Project Zero 4, so I have to respect him for that.

Kamen Rider on the other hand, I couldn't give a shit about.

Next week though? Oh boy, THIS TIME FOR SURE.

Squire

Banned
Is Suda 51 a code-name for Katsura Hashino?

But seriously, this is actually better than I was expecting. Suda's games are always interesting, and of course, he co-directed Project Zero 4, so I have to respect him for that.

Kamen Rider on the other hand, I couldn't give a shit about.

Next week though? Oh boy, THIS TIME FOR SURE.

Ha, great to see you're keeping the faith :)

And yeah, KID is a fine consolation, I think. I really enjoyed Lollipop Chainsaw, I thought KID sounded cool when they first announced it, and I like everything I'm hearing now.

ONWARD TO NEXT TUESDAY! :O

Jintor

Marie is pretty bad because she doesn't feel integrated into the story and her poems are fucking terrrrrrrrrrrible.

Naoto occasionally has cases of sesquipidelian loquaciousness though which really bug me.

Kanji, Yosuke and Chie for bro tier

Dantis

Marie is awful. Her character is a complete cliche, and she never builds because the first six S Link ranks are spent on wacky fan service. "WOOAH-OH, Marie said Chie is gonna get fat!". When the 'big reveal' finally does come, it's irrelevant and adds nothing new to the story (Basically, Marie is the Famitsu build-up and subsequent disappointment).

In the main cast, the only characters who bothered me were Naoto and Yukiko. Naoto is an interesting character, but her parts in the main plot are frustrating because she mostly just summarises the case over and over and over and over.

Yukiko is mean and aloof, and a disappointment considering her terrific design.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You guys are being a little harsh with Matie-chan :/

And Yukiko is perfect.

She's the best of all the girls in the cast for sure.

Oh, by the way, why did Teddie call Marie Emmy-chan? I feel stupid right now for not knowing this :(

The first time I saw Marie ihateyouyoustupidjerk I chuckled a bit; of all the classic anime cliche/trope they can use for a new character they settled with tsundere, ah well...

Jintor

Yukiko is excellent and calling her mean is reading her character on the most basic level imaginable

She's not bro tier though because she's not a bro

Someone needs to log all the s.link intra-dungeon dialogue because I'm sure it would affect some stuff

Dantis

Yukiko is excellent and calling her mean is reading her character on the most basic level imaginable

She's not bro tier though because she's not a bro

Someone needs to log all the s.link intra-dungeon dialogue because I'm sure it would affect some stuff

Eh? No, she is mean. Multiple times throughout the story.

Anyone seen the Killer is Dead scans? What's the feeling if Persona 5 used similar presentation technique?
Perhaps a little less shading and it'll look like the evolution of Catherine but slightly less anime styled.

For EU P4 fans...

Update on Persona 4 Arena in Europe!

The PS3 version is ready for cert. Xbox 360 version, however, is not just yet. >_>

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....293977660676586.62381.166777336729953&type=1

God knows what's held the game up for so long. At this point, I actually believe it's all ASW's fault...

Son of a... how long since the last update... finally an update, watch them avoid the questions of the lateness; else piss their patners of =/

Dantis

For EU P4 fans...

Update on Persona 4 Arena in Europe!

The PS3 version is ready for cert. Xbox 360 version, however, is not just yet. >_>

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....293977660676586.62381.166777336729953&type=1

God knows what's held the game up for so long. At this point, I actually believe it's all ASW's fault...

RIGHT ON TIME!

Shame nobody gives a shit about it any more. What a farce.

Ordinarily I'd say something hateful like "I HOPE IT BOMBS!", but you know, that's kind of a given.

Daimaou

Eh? No, she is mean. Multiple times throughout the story.

No she's not, I honestly can't think of any part of the game she's anything I would call mean. She slaps people a few times, but it's in response to what she perceives as off-color remarks, which is understandable considering her environment at work.

Omikaru

Son of a... how long since the last update... finally an update, watch them avoid the questions of the lateness; else piss their patners of =/
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. They probably wouldn't mind so much if it was Atlus, since P4A seems to be a one-off at this point, but Zen are the exclusive publisher of ASW games in Europe. Gotta keep that relationship rock solid.

Fucking ASW. So obviously those guys not giving two fucks about Europe. Bet they had one guy working on the EU version.

RIGHT ON TIME!

Shame nobody gives a shit about it any more. What a farce.

Ordinarily I'd say something hateful like "I HOPE IT BOMBS!", but you know, that's kind of a given.

If it's not even in cert yet, I bet P4 Golden arrives here before P4 Arena. I mean, P4G for EU must be in cert now if NIS America wants to hit that February 22nd date they mooted, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom